Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Burrito meat

I have tried just using ground beef with no spices and make a burrito.
It doesn't turn out very well.

I have been using pot roast for the beef and that works pretty well,
but I have made all the pot roast I want for a while.

Anyone want to suggest some spices to add to ground beef to work for a
burrito?

I put salsa and sour cream on top, but I get the feeling that the meat
itself needs some kind of sauce or spice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

This is what I use for ground beef enchiladas -- Would think you could
use the same ground beef mixture for burritos but serve dry or wet
with rice etc.

RED CHILE SAUCE for Enchiladas
(can be halved - makes a bunch)
4 cups beef broth (*canned or boulion in water)
4 TBL chile powder (3 TBL Chile powder and 1 TBL Chipotle)
¼ tsp granulated garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin
4 TBL cornstarch in 5 TBL water

Combine 1st four items in sauce pan. bring to boil and simmer 5
minutes. Mix cornstarch and cold water and add, stirring to thicken.
Boil about a minute.

ENCHILADA Filling (OR BURRITO)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 ½ lbs. lean ground beef
½ cup Red Chile Sauce

saute onion, garlic & beef in pan until beef is cooked. Add Red Chile
Sauce, simmer to combine flavors.

ASSEMBLY: dip tortillas in Red Chile Sauce, put filling across and
roll tightly. Place side by side in baking dish. Pour desired amount
of sauce over enchiladas, sprinkle with cheese, sliced green onions &
sliced black olives. Heat in 350 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes,
until cheese is melted. Serve with add'l sauce, sour cream, and
avocado on bed of chopped lettuce.

On Jan 26, 11:17 am, Terry > wrote:
> I have tried just using ground beef with no spices and make a burrito.
> It doesn't turn out very well.
>
> I have been using pot roast for the beef and that works pretty well,
> but I have made all the pot roast I want for a while.
>
> Anyone want to suggest some spices to add to ground beef to work for a
> burrito?
>
> I put salsa and sour cream on top, but I get the feeling that the meat
> itself needs some kind of sauce or spice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:

> I have tried just using ground beef with no spices and make a burrito.
> It doesn't turn out very well.
>
> I have been using pot roast for the beef and that works pretty well,
> but I have made all the pot roast I want for a while.
>
> Anyone want to suggest some spices to add to ground beef to work for a
> burrito?
>
> I put salsa and sour cream on top, but I get the feeling that the meat
> itself needs some kind of sauce or spice.

Fry some ground beef with some finely chopped onion, a couple cloves of
garlic, drain fat and add salt, pepper, chilli powder, cumin, some
cinnamon, a bit of sugar, a splash of vinegar and about 1/2 cup of ketchup,
then add a little water and let it simmer until it isn't wet any more. You
can throw a few raisin in there too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry" > wrote in message
>I have tried just using ground beef with no spices and make a burrito.
> It doesn't turn out very well.
>
> I have been using pot roast for the beef and that works pretty well,
> but I have made all the pot roast I want for a while.
>
> Anyone want to suggest some spices to add to ground beef to work for a
> burrito?
>
> I put salsa and sour cream on top, but I get the feeling that the meat
> itself needs some kind of sauce or spice.

Key ingredient: FRESH garlic!! For a pound and a half
of beef, three fat cloves, smashed first then diced. Put them in while you
are browning the meat, but toward the end. You want them cooked but
not browned hard. Brown some diced onions in there too! Then just
chili powder, added to the beef and onions and garlic. It will be perfect.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:

> Anyone want to suggest some spices to add to ground beef to work for a
> burrito?
>
> I put salsa and sour cream on top, but I get the feeling that the meat
> itself needs some kind of sauce or spice.

Cook the meat with garlic, onion, cumin, chilies, and maybe some
oregano. The same sorts of seasonings you'd put in chili or tacos.

A little refried bean paste is good for texture and flavor too. Maybe
half a can with a pound of meat, and freeze the rest in plastic for later.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:17:31 -0500, Terry >
wrote:

>I put salsa and sour cream on top, but I get the feeling that the meat
>itself needs some kind of sauce or spice.

We use this in quite a few basic Mexican dishes...I multiply the
recipe by 12 to have plenty on hand.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Lawry's Taco Spices And Seasoning

mexican

1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon minced onion
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Add spices and seasonings and
3/4
cup water to 1 pound browned ground meat. Bring to boil, cook 7-10
min.,
stirring occasionally. Makes filling for 12 tacos (about 3 Tbs) each.

Yield: 1 servings

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Terry" > schreef in bericht
>I have tried just using ground beef with no spices and make a burrito.
> It doesn't turn out very well.
>
> I have been using pot roast for the beef and that works pretty well,
> but I have made all the pot roast I want for a while.

Use the others' suggestions for spices. And use plenty of salt. That should
cure any blandness.

> Anyone want to suggest some spices to add to ground beef to work for a
> burrito?
>
> I put salsa and sour cream on top, but I get the feeling that the meat
> itself needs some kind of sauce or spice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Terry wrote:

> I have tried just using ground beef with no spices and make a burrito.
> It doesn't turn out very well.
>
> I have been using pot roast for the beef and that works pretty well,
> but I have made all the pot roast I want for a while.

Lots of good ideas for spices already mentioned. Meatwise, try
steak instead of ground beef. Thinly sliced grilled flank is
my preference.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

If you are really lazy, just use a packaged taco seasoning. Burritos
are so easy to do properly! You should have all the spices in your
cupboard. You can always look it up in a cookbook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry > wrote:

> I have tried just using ground beef with no spices and make a burrito.
> It doesn't turn out very well.

That's because you are using the wrong kind of meat. You need the meat
of a small donkey - that's what makes it a burrito.

HTH

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
.. .
> Terry > wrote:
>
>> I have tried just using ground beef with no spices and make a burrito.
>> It doesn't turn out very well.

> That's because you are using the wrong kind of meat. You need the meat
> of a small donkey - that's what makes it a burrito.
>
> HTH

Is the farm raised as good as from the wild?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Terry" > wrote in message
>>I have tried just using ground beef with no spices and make a burrito.
>> It doesn't turn out very well.
>>
>> I have been using pot roast for the beef and that works pretty well,
>> but I have made all the pot roast I want for a while.
>>
>> Anyone want to suggest some spices to add to ground beef to work for a
>> burrito?
>>
>> I put salsa and sour cream on top, but I get the feeling that the meat
>> itself needs some kind of sauce or spice.
>>

> Key ingredient: FRESH garlic!! For a pound and a half
> of beef, three fat cloves, smashed first then diced. Put them in while you
> are browning the meat, but toward the end. You want them cooked but
> not browned hard. Brown some diced onions in there too! Then just
> chili powder, added to the beef and onions and garlic. It will be perfect.
> Here in northern New Mexico, chile peppers are the key ingredient.
> Roasted, peeled, then chopped jalapenos (I personally prefer the chile
> pepper sliced lengthwise) and grated cheddar cheese. Sometimes the
> burrito is served on a plate smothered with a chile cheese sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joseph Wailand" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Terry" > wrote in message
>>>I have tried just using ground beef with no spices and make a burrito.
>>> It doesn't turn out very well.
>>>
>>> I have been using pot roast for the beef and that works pretty well,
>>> but I have made all the pot roast I want for a while.
>>>
>>> Anyone want to suggest some spices to add to ground beef to work for a
>>> burrito?
>>>
>>> I put salsa and sour cream on top, but I get the feeling that the meat
>>> itself needs some kind of sauce or spice.
>>>

>> Key ingredient: FRESH garlic!! For a pound and a half
>> of beef, three fat cloves, smashed first then diced. Put them in while
>> you
>> are browning the meat, but toward the end. You want them cooked but
>> not browned hard. Brown some diced onions in there too! Then just
>> chili powder, added to the beef and onions and garlic. It will be
>> perfect.

Here in northern New Mexico, chile peppers are the key ingredient.
Roasted, peeled, then chopped jalapenos (I personally prefer the chile
pepper sliced lengthwise) and grated cheddar cheese. Sometimes the
burrito is served on a plate smothered with a chile cheese sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 05:46:29 GMT, "Joseph Wailand"
> wrote:

>Here in northern New Mexico, chile peppers are the key ingredient.
> Roasted, peeled, then chopped jalapenos (I personally prefer the chile
> pepper sliced lengthwise) and grated cheddar cheese. Sometimes the
> burrito is served on a plate smothered with a chile cheese sauce.

Where are you in northern NM?

I am in Albuquerque.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joseph Wailand" > wrote
> Here in northern New Mexico, chile peppers are the key ingredient.
> Roasted, peeled, then chopped jalapenos (I personally prefer the chile
> pepper sliced lengthwise) and grated cheddar cheese. Sometimes the
> burrito is served on a plate smothered with a chile cheese sauce.

Sounds delicious!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 27, 12:56 am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 05:46:29 GMT, "Joseph Wailand"
>
> > wrote:
> >Here in northern New Mexico, chile peppers are the key ingredient.
> > Roasted, peeled, then chopped jalapenos (I personally prefer the chile
> > pepper sliced lengthwise) and grated cheddar cheese. Sometimes the
> > burrito is served on a plate smothered with a chile cheese sauce.Where are you in northern NM?

> I am in Albuquerque.

California

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> I have tried just using ground beef with no spices and make a burrito.
> It doesn't turn out very well.

Well no kidding. No onion, garlic, salt, pepper, nothing? What else did
you expect? If nothing else buy a packet of burrito seasoning mix and stir
that in with some water.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 05:46:29 GMT, "Joseph Wailand"
> > wrote:
>

>>Here in northern New Mexico, chile peppers are the key ingredient.
>> Roasted, peeled, then chopped jalapenos (I personally prefer the chile
>> pepper sliced lengthwise) and grated cheddar cheese. Sometimes the
>> burrito is served on a plate smothered with a chile cheese sauce.

> Where are you in northern NM?
>
> I am in Albuquerque.
>
> Christine

Santa Fe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

> "Victor Sack" > wrote
> > Terry > wrote:
> >
> >> I have tried just using ground beef with no spices and make a burrito.
> >> It doesn't turn out very well.

> > That's because you are using the wrong kind of meat. You need the meat
> > of a small donkey - that's what makes it a burrito.
> >
> > HTH

> Is the farm raised as good as from the wild?

Since burrito is a very ancient dish, first introduced sometime in the
dark ages of the 1930s when asses were yet untamed, only a completely
wild ass is acceptable in an authentic burrito.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
.. .
> Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

>> > That's because you are using the wrong kind of meat. You need the meat
>> > of a small donkey - that's what makes it a burrito.
>> >
>> > HTH

>> Is the farm raised as good as from the wild?

> Since burrito is a very ancient dish, first introduced sometime in the
> dark ages of the 1930s when asses were yet untamed, only a completely
> wild ass is acceptable in an authentic burrito.

I know a few completely wild asses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Key ingredient: FRESH garlic!!