Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Substitutes for Mushrooms?

I have family members who are always picking out the mushrooms for any
thing I cook.

What is a good substitute when mushrooms are called for in a recipe?

Drake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I have family members who are always picking out the mushrooms for any
> thing I cook.
>
> What is a good substitute when mushrooms are called for in a recipe?

I suppose that all depends on the recipe. You could just leave them out.
Or you could sub in more of whatever other veggies are in there. Or add a
little more meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I have family members who are always picking out the mushrooms for any
> thing I cook.
>
> What is a good substitute when mushrooms are called for in a recipe?

chop up the mushrooms really fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DrakesLair wrote:
> I have family members who are always picking out the mushrooms for any
> thing I cook.
>
> What is a good substitute when mushrooms are called for in a recipe?

Without knowing the particular recipe all anyone can suggest is
ommission and/or wild speculation. Me, I'd force feed.... whaddaya
mean you won't eat it... eat every bit or yer gonna sit there till you
die. If your husband is bigger than you then withold sex till he eats
your 'shroom. hehe

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:

> Why deprive the mushroom lovers? I'd just let them pick 'em out.
> Some people are too fussy for their own good.

I may have told this story before, about a former coworker who came to work
one night in a foul mood. His son worked with us too and spilled the beans
about why the old man was in such a snit. It seems that he wife had made
Beef Stroganoff for dinner that night. When he went back for his fourth
helping, the son tossed a couple of mushrooms on his plate and said "Here,
if you like mushrooms so much have some of mine". Mort flipped out. He
hates mushrooms. He was angry with his wife for serving him mushrooms
because she knows he hates them. That didn't stop him for having three
helpings and going back for another.

My younger brother used to hate shrimp. I don't think he would even give a
try. One evening we went out for Chinese food with some friends and came
back with leftovers. He opened up one box and told me I had to try it. It
was the most delicious thing he had ever had in his life...... deep fried
shrimp.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hello, Dave!
You wrote on Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:52:35 -0500:

DS> Puester wrote:
??>>
??>> Why deprive the mushroom lovers? I'd just let them pick
??>> 'em out. Some people are too fussy for their own good.

DS> I may have told this story before, about a former coworker
DS> who came to work one night in a foul mood.
DS> His son worked with us too and spilled the beans about why
DS> the old man was in such a snit.
DS> My younger brother used to hate shrimp. I don't think he
DS> would even give a
try. One evening we went out for Chinese
DS> food with some friends and came
back with leftovers. He
DS> opened up one box and told me I had to try it. It
was the
DS> most delicious thing he had ever had in his life...... deep
DS> fried
shrimp.

It is surprising how conservative people can be! It took me many
years before I actually tried sushi that I love now and even
longer before I tried an uncooked oyster. It's only the price
that prevents me from pigging out on oysters too!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
"Gil Faver" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> >I have family members who are always picking out the mushrooms for any
> > thing I cook.
> >
> > What is a good substitute when mushrooms are called for in a recipe?

> chop up the mushrooms really fine.

No.

Not even _I_ would try to sneak in something on someone that did not
like it. :-)

Altho' mom used to do that to me with bell peppers. <G>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> What is a good substitute when mushrooms are called for in a recipe?

Foreskins, of all ethnicities... delicate orientals, cheesey guineas,
chalky whites, greasy mexicans, smelly moslem porcines, big bad blacks,
cute kikes, etc.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> wrote:
> > What is a good substitute when mushrooms are called for in a recipe?

Foreskins, of all ethnicities... delicate orientals, cheesey guineas,
> chalky whites, greasy mexicans, smelly moslem porcines, big bad blacks,
> cute kikes, etc.
>
> Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

GAWD...!!!

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> wrote:
> > What is a good substitute when mushrooms are called for in a recipe?

> Foreskins, of all ethnicities... delicate orientals, cheesey guineas,
> chalky whites, greasy mexicans, smelly moslem porcines, big bad blacks,
> cute kikes, etc.
>
> Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .
>
> Sheldon

Shel' baby, please go take your meds. ;-)

You probably forgot the last dose.

<lol>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
Mort flipped out. He
> hates mushrooms. He was angry with his wife for serving him mushrooms
> because she knows he hates them. That didn't stop him for having three
> helpings and going back for another.

I'm starting to wonder if there's something physical going on with the
way someone can hate something, then love it, then hate it. Or if it
isn't physical, maybe it is still something beyond our control.

I love mushrooms. I order them in restaurants, buy them and cook with
them at home, prefer them cooked over raw, and prefer them in some
dishes more than others, but overall, I love mushrooms.

I also have good manners. I see nothing wrong with refusing a dish if
I'm not hungry or don't feel like eating, but picking out an item is
pretty bad manners, and I hope I'm better than that.

I've also had the flu lately. I'm pretty much over it though I still
have a bit of a cough. My strength is coming back.

So there it was a week ago when the flu was at its worst. Jim made me
chicken soup, a wonderful chicken soup from scratch, a chicken soup with
home made broth, onions, celery, carrots, noodles, parsley and ...
mushrooms. Don't ask me why, but I couldn't face the mushrooms.
Somehow they were the weirdest, wrongest thing you put in chicken soup,
and somehow with the way I was feeling, I could see no alternative
except to pick them out of the soup. I did so and apologized to Jim
every step of the way. He shrugged and told me not to worry about it.

Sweetheart that he is, he checked with me about serving the lasagne that
we made together a while ago and froze. The lasagne has mushrooms in
it. Mushrooms in lasagne made sense to me, just not in chicken soup.
Go figure. I was sick, but you'd have to say I was in my right mind,
right? Or not? Or there's something physically uncontrollable about
picking something out of food?

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

>> He was angry with his wife for serving him mushrooms
> > because she knows he hates them. That didn't stop him for having three
> > helpings and going back for another.

> I'm starting to wonder if there's something physical going on with the
> way someone can hate something, then love it, then hate it. Or if it
> isn't physical, maybe it is still something beyond our control.

I don't think there is any single factor in our tastes and out likes and
dislikes. There is a physical component. Some people can taste litmus paper
while others cannot. Some people like salt more than others, and your
appreciation of saltiness varies with the amount of salt in your system.
Salty things are much tastier on a hot day when you have been sweating and
losing salt.

Food tastes can be affected by associations. A lot of people won't eat eel
and squid because they assume they will be disgusting. Some foods appeal to
us more because of happy associations. On the flip side, bad associations
can make them lose their appeal. I used to like mussels until the day I
came home and found my wife violently ill from mussels she had had for
lunch. It reminded me of the time I had a bad case of food poisoning, and I
haven't eaten muscles since.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> *Steve Wertz wrote:
>
> > DrakesLair wrote:
> >
> > > I have family members who are always picking out the mushrooms for any
> > > thing I cook.

> > > What is a good substitute when mushrooms are called for in a recipe?

> > Assuming we tell you a good substitute, wouldn't they just pick
> > those out too?

> > -swThat was funny... <lol>

You wouldn't think it so funny if after you dined, dabbed your lips,
and belched you discovered he substituted a pint of boogers.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 26, 11:52 am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Puester wrote:
>
> > Why deprive the mushroom lovers? I'd just let them pick 'em out.
> > Some people are too fussy for their own good.I may have told this story before, about a former coworker who came to work

> one night in a foul mood. His son worked with us too and spilled the beans
> about why the old man was in such a snit. It seems that he wife had made
> Beef Stroganoff for dinner that night. When he went back for his fourth
> helping, the son tossed a couple of mushrooms on his plate and said "Here,
> if you like mushrooms so much have some of mine". Mort flipped out. He
> hates mushrooms. He was angry with his wife for serving him mushrooms
> because she knows he hates them. That didn't stop him for having three
> helpings and going back for another.
>
> My younger brother used to hate shrimp. I don't think he would even give a
> try. One evening we went out for Chinese food with some friends and came
> back with leftovers. He opened up one box and told me I had to try it. It
> was the most delicious thing he had ever had in his life...... deep fried
> shrimp.

My father used to tell the story of the neighbour 'Bob" who hated
venison. One day at thrashing (old farm term) the farmer's wife served
a lovely venision roast. After dinner Bob commented on how good that
roast beef was. Dad mentioned that it was venison and Bob promptly
wandered off and was sick. Weird.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > *Steve Wertz wrote:

> > > Assuming we tell you a good substitute, wouldn't they just pick
> > > those out too?

> > > -swThat was funny... <lol>

> You wouldn't think it so funny if after you dined, dabbed your lips,
> and belched you discovered he substituted a pint of boogers.
>
> Sheldon

Are you saying that the flavor and texture of mushrooms is the same as
boogers????? :-(

I've never had a mushroom of any type like that!

Wow.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:

> My father used to tell the story of the neighbour 'Bob" who hated
> venison. One day at thrashing (old farm term) the farmer's wife served
> a lovely venision roast. After dinner Bob commented on how good that
> roast beef was. Dad mentioned that it was venison and Bob promptly
> wandered off and was sick. Weird.

That is a good one. I had a female friend who claimed to like to hunt and
fish and talked about the great venison they had had. But she didn't like
lamb. She said it was gamy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 26, 4:33*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article . com>,
>

> *"Sheldon" > wrote:
> > Omelet wrote:

> > You wouldn't think it so funny if after you dined, dabbed your lips,
> > and belched you discovered he substituted a pint of boogers.

> > SheldonAre you saying that the flavor and texture of mushrooms is the same as

> boogers????? :-(
>
> I've never had a mushroom of any type like that!

Well, I wouldn't know, but obviously you're a booger maven! LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:52:35 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>My younger brother used to hate shrimp. I don't think he would even give a
>try. One evening we went out for Chinese food with some friends and came
>back with leftovers. He opened up one box and told me I had to try it. It
>was the most delicious thing he had ever had in his life...... deep fried
>shrimp.

I think deep fried is beginner style. At least he changed his mind
and decided he liked them. My mom never progressed beyond deep fried.
That was what she liked and ordered them when when she could.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Puester wrote:
>>

>> Why deprive the mushroom lovers? I'd just let them pick 'em out.
>> Some people are too fussy for their own good.

> I may have told this story before, about a former coworker who came to work
> one night in a foul mood. His son worked with us too and spilled the beans
> about why the old man was in such a snit. It seems that he wife had made
> Beef Stroganoff for dinner that night. When he went back for his fourth
> helping, the son tossed a couple of mushrooms on his plate and said "Here,
> if you like mushrooms so much have some of mine". Mort flipped out. He
> hates mushrooms. He was angry with his wife for serving him mushrooms
> because she knows he hates them. That didn't stop him for having three
> helpings and going back for another.
>

> My younger brother used to hate shrimp. I don't think he would even give a
> try. One evening we went out for Chinese food with some friends and came
> back with leftovers. He opened up one box and told me I had to try it. It
> was the most delicious thing he had ever had in his life...... deep fried
> shrimp.

I'll try most things at least once. I draw the line at things like tongue or liver.
But that being said, no one can "sneak" mushrooms past me. It isn't imaginary. I
simply do not like the texture of them, so they're quite obvious to me in a dish.
Your post implies that people who don't like a particular food simply *think* they
don't like it. That may be true some of the time, but it certainly isn't the case all
of the time.

By the way, shrimp is another food that I don't eat very often, and not because I
find the flavor offensive...like the mushrooms, it's a texture thing. In fact, most
of the foods I prefer not to eat, it's more the texture of them that I'm opposed to
than it is the flavor. With mushroom, I've been known to puree them if I think the
flavor is very necessary...and recently I've found a mushroom base that is pretty
good, so I will use that. As long as the rubbery-biting-through-flesh texture is not
there, I'm ok.

kimberly

Substitutes, help please! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 202 08-04-2012 04:51 PM
Substitutes for Mushrooms? Gil Faver General Cooking 0 28-01-2007 12:43 AM
Spinach substitutes Blair P. Houghton General Cooking 6 29-09-2006 01:00 AM
Sugar Substitutes Snarfweazel! Baking 2 07-07-2004 01:29 PM
Egg Substitutes for the Pancakes. andy.mich Recipes (moderated) 0 25-10-2003 01:50 AM