Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Girl Scouts are Coming! The Girl Scouts are Coming!

January 25, 2007

I don't know if it's a national roll out date but in and around
Philadelphia the Girl Scouts of America will begin their annual cookie sale
by opening the cookie booths (I suspect by supermarket and convenience
store entrances.).

I need a box of thin mints, a box (maybe two) of Do-Si-Dos and a box of
lemonades (I think they're missing in 2007) cookies.

When you walk up and they ask if you'd like to buy Girl Scout cookies,
don't forget to ask...

Are they made with real Girl Scouts?
--Wednesday Adams, The Adams Family

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> January 25, 2007
>
> I don't know if it's a national roll out date but in and around
> Philadelphia the Girl Scouts of America will begin their annual cookie
> sale
> by opening the cookie booths (I suspect by supermarket and convenience
> store entrances.).
>
> I need a box of thin mints, a box (maybe two) of Do-Si-Dos and a box of
> lemonades (I think they're missing in 2007) cookies.
>
> When you walk up and they ask if you'd like to buy Girl Scout cookies,
> don't forget to ask...
>
> Are they made with real Girl Scouts?
> --Wednesday Adams, The Adams Family
>
> Andy

Their cookies suck, so I usually tell them that for health reasons, I can't
eat sweets, and I offer to just donate $10.00 to their troop they're not
Nazi assholes like the BSA. But, the parents are usually thrown for a loop
when they have to figure out how to account for a donation without a cookie
sale.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Are they made with real Girl Scouts?
> --Wednesday Adams, The Adams Family
>
> Andy

Addams Family, silly. Last great role for Raoul Julia. (sigh) Thin mints
are good but I still love those butter cookies, can't recall what they are
called. They taste like Lorna Doones which is nothing more than Scottish
shortbread

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> January 25, 2007
>
> I don't know if it's a national roll out date but in and around
> Philadelphia the Girl Scouts of America will begin their annual cookie sale
> by opening the cookie booths (I suspect by supermarket and convenience
> store entrances.).
>
> I need a box of thin mints, a box (maybe two) of Do-Si-Dos and a box of
> lemonades (I think they're missing in 2007) cookies.
>
> When you walk up and they ask if you'd like to buy Girl Scout cookies,
> don't forget to ask...

The colleague in the office next to mine started selling girl scout
cookies at work for his daughter last week. Just yesterday, he brought
in 200 boxes of cookies that he had previously sold and distributed
them. I bought two boxes of the low fat oatmeal cookies. Mmmm! They
taste great!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> > January 25, 2007
> >
> > I don't know if it's a national roll out date but in and around
> > Philadelphia the Girl Scouts of America will begin their annual cookie
> > sale
> > by opening the cookie booths (I suspect by supermarket and convenience
> > store entrances.).
> >
> > I need a box of thin mints, a box (maybe two) of Do-Si-Dos and a box of
> > lemonades (I think they're missing in 2007) cookies.
> >
> > When you walk up and they ask if you'd like to buy Girl Scout cookies,
> > don't forget to ask...
> >
> > Are they made with real Girl Scouts?
> > --Wednesday Adams, The Adams Family
> >
> > Andy

> Their cookies suck, so I usually tell them that for health reasons, I can't
> eat sweets, and I offer to just donate $10.00 to their troop they're not
> Nazi assholes like the BSA. But, the parents are usually thrown for a loop
> when they have to figure out how to account for a donation without a cookie
> sale.

Have you considered asking them to donate your paid-for boxes to a
local charity or foodbank?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> > January 25, 2007
>> >
>> > I don't know if it's a national roll out date but in and around
>> > Philadelphia the Girl Scouts of America will begin their annual cookie
>> > sale
>> > by opening the cookie booths (I suspect by supermarket and convenience
>> > store entrances.).
>> >
>> > I need a box of thin mints, a box (maybe two) of Do-Si-Dos and a box of
>> > lemonades (I think they're missing in 2007) cookies.
>> >
>> > When you walk up and they ask if you'd like to buy Girl Scout cookies,
>> > don't forget to ask...
>> >
>> > Are they made with real Girl Scouts?
>> > --Wednesday Adams, The Adams Family
>> >
>> > Andy

>> Their cookies suck, so I usually tell them that for health reasons, I
>> can't
>> eat sweets, and I offer to just donate $10.00 to their troop they're not
>> Nazi assholes like the BSA. But, the parents are usually thrown for a
>> loop
>> when they have to figure out how to account for a donation without a
>> cookie
>> sale.

> Have you considered asking them to donate your paid-for boxes to a
> local charity or foodbank?

No. Cookies are not food. And, being poor is depressing enough. If I needed
to get food from a food bank, I would not want to feel like I was getting
peoples' throwaways. GS cookies are definitely in that category. If I wanted
to donate cookies, I'd just go shopping and buy some serious ones that
wouldn't insult the recipients.

My lottery dream: Hire a tractor trailer, and arrange to go "shopping" at
the warehouse of a local grocery chain. Fill the truck to the limit. Have
the back of the truck rigged with video cameras, and driven to our local
food bank. Insist that the head honcho sign for the contents, and that
he/she be handed a little note: "Hope this helps. Love, Spongebob". Tell the
truck driver that he gets $1000.00 when he brings me the videotape, so I can
see the big smile (anonymously, of course).

Next month, do it again, but this time, have it delivered by something like
this, just for fun:
http://www.constructionhelicopter.com/flight.htm

I'd be broke in a year, but what the heck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
.121...
> "JoeSpareBedroom" >
> :
>
>> Their cookies suck, so I usually tell them that for health reasons, I
>> can't eat sweets, and I offer to just donate $10.00 to their troop
>> they're not Nazi assholes like the BSA. But, the parents are usually
>> thrown for a loop when they have to figure out how to account for a
>> donation without a cookie sale.

> Just buy the damned cookies and give them to someone else. The cookies
> have really changed over the years and are really not very good. They used
> to be really good years and years ago.
>
> Michael

Nah...that's wasteful. Don't get me wrong - I like the Girl Scout
organization. There were some kids on my street whose GS troop took them to
a VERY fancy blue-hair restaurant for lunch, and told them "Now, watch how
the old ladies eat. Look at their table manners....". I thought that was
cool, so I donated big-time for that idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> says...
> I don't know if it's a national roll out date but in and around
> Philadelphia the Girl Scouts of America will begin their annual cookie sale
> by opening the cookie booths (I suspect by supermarket and convenience
> store entrances.).
>
> I need a box of thin mints, a box (maybe two) of Do-Si-Dos and a box of
> lemonades (I think they're missing in 2007) cookies.

A nice new service - you can give them money and they will send cookies
to the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. And, because you are not getting
anything for your $$, it's tax deductible.

--
Peter Aitken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121...
> "JoeSpareBedroom" >
> :
>
>> Nah...that's wasteful. Don't get me wrong - I like the Girl Scout
>> organization. There were some kids on my street whose GS troop took
>> them to a VERY fancy blue-hair restaurant for lunch, and told them
>> "Now, watch how the old ladies eat. Look at their table manners....".
>> I thought that was cool, so I donated big-time for that idea.

> Over the past 2 years BS and GS have moved into Glenhaven. Steven gives
> me
> shit every time I buy from the BS (we both detest the organization) but I
> see no reason to punish these young kids for what the elders in the
> organization are doing. Steven's argument that soon the kids *will* be
> the
> elders. Well, I just can't help it, and they are our neighbors which we
> are on excellent terms with.
>
> Michael <- defiant

I just tell the BS "no, thanks". But, when they come around raising money
for other things, like sports, out comes the checkbook.

A few years back, my nephew's school was raising money for their marching
band. They were selling cases of citrus fruit from Florida. His mom said the
parents had expressed grave doubts about people spending $20 or whatever it
was for a case. But, they ended up selling MORE than a full truckload,
couldn't order another truck, and had to contact anyone who'd bought more
than one case & explain that they had to adjust their order downward.

Duh. Why don't more organizations try this? Nobody wants stale candy and bad
popcorn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

And then, there was the year someone came around selling some GORGEOUS
wrapping paper. I mean, this stuff was nice enough to use as wallpaper. I
still have some around. The kind of stuff you get at foofy boutiques like
this place (which you would probably love):
http://www.parkleigh.com/index.cfm?ShowPage=History

(This was another fund raising product which parents thought would be a
flop. It was a huge success).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> And then, there was the year someone came around selling some GORGEOUS
> wrapping paper. I mean, this stuff was nice enough to use as wallpaper. I
> still have some around. The kind of stuff you get at foofy boutiques like
> this place (which you would probably love):
> http://www.parkleigh.com/index.cfm?ShowPage=History
>

> (This was another fund raising product which parents thought would be a
> flop. It was a huge success).

Oh, I truly HATE the wrapping paper fundraiser..

They charge $8 a roll for the stuff. The big hard sell is that the
school gets half. Of course they do - the paper is twice as expensive
as anywhere else! I could just buy regular old wrapping paper for three
bucks a roll and give them the rest.........

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:

> "JoeSpareBedroom" >
> :
>
> > Nah...that's wasteful. Don't get me wrong - I like the Girl Scout
> > organization. There were some kids on my street whose GS troop took
> > them to a VERY fancy blue-hair restaurant for lunch, and told them
> > "Now, watch how the old ladies eat. Look at their table manners....".
> > I thought that was cool, so I donated big-time for that idea.

> Over the past 2 years BS and GS have moved into Glenhaven. Steven gives me
> shit every time I buy from the BS (we both detest the organization) but I
> see no reason to punish these young kids for what the elders in the
> organization are doing. Steven's argument that soon the kids *will* be the
> elders. Well, I just can't help it, and they are our neighbors which we
> are on excellent terms with.
>
> Michael <- defiant
> --
> "On the runway of life, you never know what's coming off next!"
> ~Arthur Kopit

The problem is that probably 75% of what the BS do is very good,
unfortunately they can't seem to fix the 25% that isn't.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-01-24, jmcquown > wrote:

> are good but I still love those butter cookies, can't recall what they are
> called. They taste like Lorna Doones which is nothing more than Scottish
> shortbread

They're my favorite, also, Jill. I seem to recall they were at one
time called Scotch Teas. In the last few years they've been called
Trefoils, whatever the heck that is. It looks like they've renamed
them again and they are now called Classic Shortbread. Whatever
they're called, they're killer with a cup of coffee.

http://www.girlscoutstotem.org/Cooki...tbreadTrefoils
http://www.girlscoutcookiesabc.com/atc/default.asp

If you're a real shortbread nut like myself, get the real deal. I
like Walkers Traditional Shorbreads:

http://www.walkersus.com/?gclid=CMWC...FQx1YAodkmXcRQ

.....but my hands-down favorite is Royal Edinburgh Shortbread. Hard to
find and kind of pricey, but worth it. They are truly decadent and so
rich you can only eat a few:

http://tinyurl.com/2r86t8

nb

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> They're my favorite, also, Jill. I seem to recall they were at one
> time called Scotch Teas. In the last few years they've been called
> Trefoils, whatever the heck that is.

Scotch Tea cookies are commercially available year round shortbread
cookies. I think Nabisco makes them? Trefoils, which is a classic Girl
Scout shape are shortbread cookies only available from the scout cookie
sales.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote

> notbob wrote:
>
>> They're my favorite, also, Jill. I seem to recall they were at one
>> time called Scotch Teas. In the last few years they've been called
>> Trefoils, whatever the heck that is.

> Scotch Tea cookies are commercially available year round shortbread
> cookies. I think Nabisco makes them? Trefoils, which is a classic Girl
> Scout shape are shortbread cookies only available from the scout cookie
> sales.

I remember them being Trefoils since the early 70s. Who knows
how long they were Trefoils before then.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 7:28 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Andy" <q> wrote in ...
> > January 25, 2007

> > I don't know if it's a national roll out date but in and around
> > Philadelphia the Girl Scouts of America will begin their annual cookie
> > sale
> > by opening the cookie booths (I suspect by supermarket and convenience
> > store entrances.).

> > I need a box of thin mints, a box (maybe two) of Do-Si-Dos and a box of
> > lemonades (I think they're missing in 2007) cookies.

> > When you walk up and they ask if you'd like to buy Girl Scout cookies,
> > don't forget to ask...

> > Are they made with real Girl Scouts?
> > --Wednesday Adams, The Adams Family

> > AndyTheir cookies suck, so I usually tell them that for health reasons, I can't

> eat sweets, and I offer to just donate $10.00 to their troop they're not
> Nazi assholes like the BSA. But, the parents are usually thrown for a loop
> when they have to figure out how to account for a donation without a cookie
> sale.

The Troop Cookie Manager (no more cookie moms, please) learns how to
handle those situations, and should be instructing the girls and anyone
assisting in staffing a booth in the fine art of saying "thank you."

Former troop leader in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

We ordered 4 boxes of thin mints (an overkill imo but dh said we NEEDED 4) 2
boxes of the new brownies and 2 boxes of tag a longs.. yummy

Tori
"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> January 25, 2007
>
> I don't know if it's a national roll out date but in and around
> Philadelphia the Girl Scouts of America will begin their annual cookie
> sale
> by opening the cookie booths (I suspect by supermarket and convenience
> store entrances.).
>
> I need a box of thin mints, a box (maybe two) of Do-Si-Dos and a box of
> lemonades (I think they're missing in 2007) cookies.
>
> When you walk up and they ask if you'd like to buy Girl Scout cookies,
> don't forget to ask...
>
> Are they made with real Girl Scouts?
> --Wednesday Adams, The Adams Family
>
> Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 12:05 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Goomba38" > wrote
>
> > notbob wrote:

> >> They're my favorite, also, Jill. I seem to recall they were at one
> >> time called Scotch Teas. In the last few years they've been called
> >> Trefoils, whatever the heck that is.

> > Scotch Tea cookies are commercially available year round shortbread
> > cookies. I think Nabisco makes them? Trefoils, which is a classic Girl
> > Scout shape are shortbread cookies only available from the scout cookie
> > sales.I remember them being Trefoils since the early 70s. Who knows

> how long they were Trefoils before then.
>
> nancy

Late 50's, early 60's. And they used to have imprints of the
various badges on them.

maxine, former scout

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> On Jan 24, 7:28 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>> "Andy" <q> wrote in ...
>> > January 25, 2007

>> > I don't know if it's a national roll out date but in and around
>> > Philadelphia the Girl Scouts of America will begin their annual cookie
>> > sale
>> > by opening the cookie booths (I suspect by supermarket and convenience
>> > store entrances.).

>> > I need a box of thin mints, a box (maybe two) of Do-Si-Dos and a box of
>> > lemonades (I think they're missing in 2007) cookies.

>> > When you walk up and they ask if you'd like to buy Girl Scout cookies,
>> > don't forget to ask...

>> > Are they made with real Girl Scouts?
>> > --Wednesday Adams, The Adams Family

>> > AndyTheir cookies suck, so I usually tell them that for health reasons,
>> > I can't

>> eat sweets, and I offer to just donate $10.00 to their troop they're not
>> Nazi assholes like the BSA. But, the parents are usually thrown for a
>> loop
>> when they have to figure out how to account for a donation without a
>> cookie
>> sale.

> The Troop Cookie Manager (no more cookie moms, please) learns how to
> handle those situations, and should be instructing the girls and anyone
> assisting in staffing a booth in the fine art of saying "thank you."

You'd think the adults would've seen the good deal staring them in the face:
I give them cash, and the troop keeps 100% of it. Duh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-01-24, Goomba38 > wrote:

> Scotch Tea cookies are commercially available year round shortbread
> cookies. I think Nabisco makes them?

I don't see 'em via google, but you're probably right. I don't buy
any but the three I mentioned.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob said...

> If you're a real shortbread nut like myself, get the real deal. I
> like Walkers Traditional Shorbreads:
>
> http://www.walkersus.com/?gclid=CMWC...FQx1YAodkmXcRQ
>
> ....but my hands-down favorite is Royal Edinburgh Shortbread. Hard to
> find and kind of pricey, but worth it. They are truly decadent and so
> rich you can only eat a few:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2r86t8
>
> nb

nb,

I don't remember the last time I had a shortbread cookie.

My ACME has the Walkers you mention. I'll buy a box next trip.

If I run across the Royal Edinburgh cookies I'll try them.

I did find something called Social Teas if that's the other cookie by
another name...

http://www.amazon.com/Nabisco-Social.../dp/B0002QF1PQ

Thanks,

Andy

P.S. Remember "Melodies", sugar sprinkled flat round chocolate
(shortbread?) cookies (1960s)?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> January 25, 2007
>
> I don't know if it's a national roll out date but in and around
> Philadelphia the Girl Scouts of America will begin their annual cookie sale
> by opening the cookie booths (I suspect by supermarket and convenience
> store entrances.).

In these parts, they set up in roadside stands as well.

But as the little scouts themselves are doing almost nothing to sell
these wares, and as a matter of principle I refuse to buy them. You see,
I have no interest at all in heightening their already escalated sense
of entitlement, and WILL NOT give the time of day to moms and dads who
think it's just fine to bring sales catalogs to the workplace and do the
kids' fund raising in their stead. They do it at work, they do it at
church, they do it outside of movie theaters... It's the parents sitting
at tables by the side of the road like subsistence farmers, and skulking
like pushers at the end of the receiving line after services, and lying
in wait by the automatic doors at Albertson's and Smith's and... HOME DEPOT!

The parents deliver the cookies, too. Their princesses need never lift a
finger, 'cept to give it to somebody.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 9:43*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2007-01-24, jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > are good but I still love those butter cookies, can't recall what they are
> > called. *They taste like Lorna Doones which is nothing more than Scottish
> > shortbread They're my favorite, also, Jill. *I seem to recall they were at one

> time called Scotch Teas. *In the last few years they've been called
> Trefoils, whatever the heck that is. *It looks like they've renamed
> them again and they are now called Classic Shortbread. *Whatever
> they're called, they're killer with a cup of coffee.
>
> http://www.girlscoutstotem.org/Cooki...tc/default.asp
>
> If you're a real shortbread nut like myself, get the real deal. *I
> like Walkers Traditional Shorbreads:
>
> http://www.walkersus.com/?gclid=CMWC...FQx1YAodkmXcRQ
>
> ....but my hands-down favorite is Royal Edinburgh Shortbread. *Hard to
> find and kind of pricey, but worth it. *They are truly decadent and so
> rich you can only eat a few:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2r86t8

Cookies sure do cost more in Washington than here in Utah. In
Washington they are $4 a box. Here they are $3.50. I had to buy some.
My Granddaughter is a Girl Scout.
Vickie
> nb
>
> nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> January 25, 2007
>
> I don't know if it's a national roll out date but in and around
> Philadelphia the Girl Scouts of America will begin their annual cookie sale
> by opening the cookie booths (I suspect by supermarket and convenience
> store entrances.).

I bought my first two boxes of thin mints out in front of McCoys lumber
store. ;-)

> I need a box of thin mints, a box (maybe two) of Do-Si-Dos and a box of
> lemonades (I think they're missing in 2007) cookies.

I'll stick with thin mints only... I know the others are good, but those
are the only two that I find iresistable and they get stashes in the
freezer and last a good 2 months! (2 boxes).

> When you walk up and they ask if you'd like to buy Girl Scout cookies,
> don't forget to ask...
>
> Are they made with real Girl Scouts?
> --Wednesday Adams, The Adams Family
>
> Andy

Classic line. ;-) I regret forgetting it.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> > January 25, 2007
> >
> > I don't know if it's a national roll out date but in and around
> > Philadelphia the Girl Scouts of America will begin their annual cookie
> > sale
> > by opening the cookie booths (I suspect by supermarket and convenience
> > store entrances.).
> >
> > I need a box of thin mints, a box (maybe two) of Do-Si-Dos and a box of
> > lemonades (I think they're missing in 2007) cookies.
> >
> > When you walk up and they ask if you'd like to buy Girl Scout cookies,
> > don't forget to ask...
> >
> > Are they made with real Girl Scouts?
> > --Wednesday Adams, The Adams Family
> >
> > Andy

> Their cookies suck, so

Gods I pity you sometimes.

> I usually tell them that for health reasons, I can't
> eat sweets, and I offer to just donate $10.00 to their troop they're not
> Nazi assholes like the BSA. But, the parents are usually thrown for a loop
> when they have to figure out how to account for a donation without a cookie
> sale.

That's easy.

Eat them. (the cookies that is!)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> > January 25, 2007
>> >
>> > I don't know if it's a national roll out date but in and around
>> > Philadelphia the Girl Scouts of America will begin their annual cookie
>> > sale
>> > by opening the cookie booths (I suspect by supermarket and convenience
>> > store entrances.).
>> >
>> > I need a box of thin mints, a box (maybe two) of Do-Si-Dos and a box of
>> > lemonades (I think they're missing in 2007) cookies.
>> >
>> > When you walk up and they ask if you'd like to buy Girl Scout cookies,
>> > don't forget to ask...
>> >
>> > Are they made with real Girl Scouts?
>> > --Wednesday Adams, The Adams Family
>> >
>> > Andy

>> Their cookies suck, so

It's OK for you to think 3 brands of salt taste different, but it's not OK
for me to notice that GS cookies suck. I see. That's not a double standard.
Nope.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

There are two bakeries that do GS cookies. ABC bakery and Little
Brownie Bakers. Little Brownie is producing the cookies for the local
GS troops (DC) and they do not have the Lemonades. So it could be what
bakery is assigned to your local council...

http://www.littlebrowniebakers.com/cookies/cookies.html

http://www.girlscoutcookiesabc.com/atc/default.asp

Cappy

Andy wrote:
> January 25, 2007
>
> I don't know if it's a national roll out date but in and around
> Philadelphia the Girl Scouts of America will begin their annual cookie sale
> by opening the cookie booths (I suspect by supermarket and convenience
> store entrances.).
>
> I need a box of thin mints, a box (maybe two) of Do-Si-Dos and a box of
> lemonades (I think they're missing in 2007) cookies.
>
> When you walk up and they ask if you'd like to buy Girl Scout cookies,
> don't forget to ask...
>
> Are they made with real Girl Scouts?
> --Wednesday Adams, The Adams Family
>
> Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 1:45 pm, Pennyaline > wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> > January 25, 2007

> > I don't know if it's a national roll out date but in and around
> > Philadelphia the Girl Scouts of America will begin their annual cookie sale
> > by opening the cookie booths (I suspect by supermarket and convenience
> > store entrances.).In these parts, they set up in roadside stands as well.

> But as the little scouts themselves are doing almost nothing to sell
> these wares, and as a matter of principle I refuse to buy them. You see,
> I have no interest at all in heightening their already escalated sense
> of entitlement, and WILL NOT give the time of day to moms and dads who
> think it's just fine to bring sales catalogs to the workplace and do the
> kids' fund raising in their stead. They do it at work, they do it at
> church, they do it outside of movie theaters... It's the parents sitting
> at tables by the side of the road like subsistence farmers, and skulking
> like pushers at the end of the receiving line after services, and lying
> in wait by the automatic doors at Albertson's and Smith's and... HOME DEPOT!
>
> The parents deliver the cookies, too. Their princesses need never lift a
> finger, 'cept to give it to somebody.

That's sad. The girls are supposed to run the booth sales, with at
least two
adults, one of them a leader, to watch and advise. The girls are told
to call
relatives and friends, they are given training in what sorts of things
to say,
and are supposed to do the work, so they learn. At church and other
places where the kids should be, the girls should be doing the selling.
However,
one suggestion for sales is that Mom or Dad take the order form into
work
with them.

They are also told in their training session that if Mom or Dad takes
the
order form into work, the girls are supposed to thank their coworkers.
I usually had my daughter write a thank-you note to be hung in the
cafeteria.

One of these days, the parents will be on the field playing sports for
their
kids, so the little darlings don't have to get their uniforms dirty.

And we expect them to learn self-sufficiency.
maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2007-01-24, jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > are good but I still love those butter cookies, can't recall what
> > they are called. They taste like Lorna Doones which is nothing
> > more than Scottish shortbread

> They're my favorite, also, Jill. I seem to recall they were at one
> time called Scotch Teas. In the last few years they've been called
> Trefoils, whatever the heck that is.

A trefoil is a symbol with three lobes to it. The Girl Scout symbol is
a trefoil, and it's imprinted on the cookies.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

> On Jan 24, 1:45 pm, Pennyaline > wrote:
>
>>Andy wrote:
>>
>>>January 25, 2007

>>>I don't know if it's a national roll out date but in and around
>>>Philadelphia the Girl Scouts of America will begin their annual cookie sale
>>>by opening the cookie booths (I suspect by supermarket and convenience
>>>store entrances.).In these parts, they set up in roadside stands as well.

> That's sad. The girls are supposed to run the booth sales, with at
> least two
> adults, one of them a leader, to watch and advise. The girls are told
> to call
> relatives and friends, they are given training in what sorts of things
> to say,
> and are supposed to do the work, so they learn.

Around here they set up in store entrances, and frankly I don't mind
that much. If they come door to door, I usually miss them. And in some
of these neighborhoods here, kids shouldn't be going door to door.

I bought two boxes this weekend. The girls handled everything. They
seemed nervous but did just fine. Mom was standing about 4 feet behind
them, observing.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>
>> They're my favorite, also, Jill. I seem to recall they were at one
>> time called Scotch Teas. In the last few years they've been called
>> Trefoils, whatever the heck that is.

> Scotch Tea cookies are commercially available year round shortbread
> cookies. I think Nabisco makes them? Trefoils, which is a classic Girl
> Scout shape are shortbread cookies only available from the scout
> cookie sales.

I'm not sure but I think the idea for the Girl Scouts originated in
Scotland, hence the Trefoil design for the butter cookie. I remember when I
was a Brownie (baby girl scout LOL) the handbook told the story of Brownies
(sort of like elves or fairies) and it was most definitely Scottish. So the
Trefoil butter cookie tasting like shortbread makes sense.

jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> On Jan 24, 12:05 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>>> Scotch Tea cookies are commercially available year round shortbread
>>> cookies. I think Nabisco makes them? Trefoils, which is a classic
>>> Girl Scout shape are shortbread cookies only available from the
>>> scout cookie sales.I remember them being Trefoils since the early
>>> 70s. Who knows

>> how long they were Trefoils before then.
>>
>> nancy

> Late 50's, early 60's. And they used to have imprints of the
> various badges on them.
>
> maxine, former scout

Badges? We don't need no steekin' Badges! (laughing) Sorry, couldn't
resist. I still have my girl scout pins and my brownie pins, too. Grew out
of the uniform too long ago to mention.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

woo hoo! They came by my house a couple of weeks ago, I ordered the
cocoa covered Peanut butter cookies. and, I've already paid for them,
so they should taste even better.

got milk?

beta

On Jan 24, 10:45 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
> > notbob wrote:

> >> They're my favorite, also, Jill. I seem to recall they were at one
> >> time called Scotch Teas. In the last few years they've been called
> >> Trefoils, whatever the heck that is.

> > Scotch Tea cookies are commercially available year round shortbread
> > cookies. I think Nabisco makes them? Trefoils, which is a classic Girl
> > Scout shape are shortbread cookies only available from the scout
> > cookie sales.I'm not sure but I think the idea for the Girl Scouts originated in

> Scotland, hence the Trefoil design for the butter cookie. I remember when I
> was a Brownie (baby girl scout LOL) the handbook told the story of Brownies
> (sort of like elves or fairies) and it was most definitely Scottish. So the
> Trefoil butter cookie tasting like shortbread makes sense.
>
> jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote:
>When you walk up and they ask if you'd like to buy Girl Scout cookies,
>don't forget to ask...

It's worse. Apparently the websites are advising them
to hock at their parents to take the order sheets to work
with them.

By the time any GS'ers are desperate enough to even think
of going out in the sunshine to do real selling, I've been
hit up 3 or 4 times at the office.

And the adults are more competitive and territorial.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> No. Cookies are not food. And, being poor is depressing enough. If I needed
> to get food from a food bank, I would not want to feel like I was getting
> peoples' throwaways.

Heh. The two most sought-after items at our food bank are ramen
noodles and canned tuna. Not exactly haute cuisine.

>GS cookies are definitely in that category. If I wanted
> to donate cookies, I'd just go shopping and buy some serious ones that
> wouldn't insult the recipients.

They are far from insulted. In fact the GS cookies go before any other
sweet we stock.

If you want to make a food pantry's day, donate some toilet paper,
laundry detergent, shampoo and paper towels. These things are always
in demand and hardly ever donated.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-01-25, jmcquown > wrote:

> I'm not sure but I think the idea for the Girl Scouts originated in
> Scotland, hence the Trefoil design for the butter cookie. I remember when I
> was a Brownie (baby girl scout LOL) the handbook told the story of Brownies
> (sort of like elves or fairies) and it was most definitely Scottish. So the
> Trefoil butter cookie tasting like shortbread makes sense.

Interesting. So, what is the origin of the word trefoil?

Also, just out of curiosity, I remember a long time ago running across
a Brownie exhibit at the county fair. Sitting in a circle were a
buncha Brownies doing some sort of rhythmic exercise with clave-like
thingies. They were chanting some cryptic words and keeping up this
relatively complex rhythm by knocking the claves against the ground
and each other's claves. Kinda like pattycake with billies. As a
musician, I was blown away. How did these little girsl learn about
complex rhythms most of my fellow musicians were cluesless about?
But, that was a long time ago and I'd pretty much forgotten about it.
What was that all about?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 4:39 am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2007-01-25, jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure but I think the idea for the Girl Scouts originated in
> > Scotland, hence the Trefoil design for the butter cookie. I remember when I
> > was a Brownie (baby girl scout LOL) the handbook told the story of Brownies
> > (sort of like elves or fairies) and it was most definitely Scottish. So the
> > Trefoil butter cookie tasting like shortbread makes sense.Interesting. So, what is the origin of the word trefoil?

Girl Scouting was started by Juliette Gordon Low (Born 31 october) in
Savannah Georgia. The trefoil is sort symbolic of the three parts of
the girl scout promise. In Scotland, they're called Girl Guides.
Matter of fact, just about everywhere outside the US they're called
Guides.

Originally, the girls made the cookies to sell.

> Also, just out of curiosity, I remember a long time ago running across
> a Brownie exhibit at the county fair. Sitting in a circle were a
> buncha Brownies doing some sort of rhythmic exercise with clave-like
> thingies. They were chanting some cryptic words and keeping up this
> relatively complex rhythm by knocking the claves against the ground
> and each other's claves. Kinda like pattycake with billies. As a
> musician, I was blown away. How did these little girsl learn about
> complex rhythms most of my fellow musicians were cluesless about?
> But, that was a long time ago and I'd pretty much forgotten about it.
> What was that all about?
>
> nb

When we were kids, we learned all sorts of hand-clapping games. Kid
are great at learning complex rythyms.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Jude" > wrote in message

> >> Their cookies suck, so I usually tell them that for health reasons, I
> >> can't
> >> eat sweets, and I offer to just donate $10.00 to their troop they're not
> >> Nazi assholes like the BSA. But, the parents are usually thrown for a
> >> loop
> >> when they have to figure out how to account for a donation without a
> >> cookie
> >> sale.

> > Have you considered asking them to donate your paid-for boxes to a
> > local charity or foodbank?
> >

> No. Cookies are not food. And, being poor is depressing enough. If I needed
> to get food from a food bank, I would not want to feel like I was getting
> peoples' throwaways. GS cookies are definitely in that category. If I wanted
> to donate cookies, I'd just go shopping and buy some serious ones that
> wouldn't insult the recipients.
>
> My lottery dream: Hire a tractor trailer, and arrange to go "shopping" at
> the warehouse of a local grocery chain. Fill the truck to the limit. Have
> the back of the truck rigged with video cameras, and driven to our local
> food bank. Insist that the head honcho sign for the contents, and that
> he/she be handed a little note: "Hope this helps. Love, Spongebob". Tell the
> truck driver that he gets $1000.00 when he brings me the videotape, so I can
> see the big smile (anonymously, of course).
>
> Next month, do it again, but this time, have it delivered by something like
> this, just for fun:
> http://www.constructionhelicopter.com/flight.htm
>
> I'd be broke in a year, but what the heck.

Good ream.

However, I believe that food is food. Some folks with kids, who can't
afford to buy a single box of Thin Mints, would be THRILLED to get some
in their food box. When I was poor enough to frequent a California food
bank for a few months, I was not choosey. We happily consumed a box of
graham crackers smeared with betty crocker tub frosting for dessert -
hell, we were hungry and we not only were begin fed, we were being
ginve dessert!

Poor folks really like a treat now and then, and they ain't snobby. I
don't think you'd find a lot of people who were insulted by your choice
to offer them cookies rather than a big fat nothing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>>
>> No. Cookies are not food. And, being poor is depressing enough. If I
>> needed
>> to get food from a food bank, I would not want to feel like I was getting
>> peoples' throwaways.

> Heh. The two most sought-after items at our food bank are ramen
> noodles and canned tuna. Not exactly haute cuisine.
>
>>GS cookies are definitely in that category. If I wanted
>> to donate cookies, I'd just go shopping and buy some serious ones that
>> wouldn't insult the recipients.

> They are far from insulted. In fact the GS cookies go before any other
> sweet we stock.
>
> If you want to make a food pantry's day, donate some toilet paper,
> laundry detergent, shampoo and paper towels. These things are always
> in demand and hardly ever donated.
>
> -L.

I'll keep that in mind (the donation ideas). But, the cookies....nah.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>> > Have you considered asking them to donate your paid-for boxes to a
>> > local charity or foodbank?
>> >

>> No. Cookies are not food. And, being poor is depressing enough. If I
>> needed
>> to get food from a food bank, I would not want to feel like I was getting
>> peoples' throwaways. GS cookies are definitely in that category. If I
>> wanted
>> to donate cookies, I'd just go shopping and buy some serious ones that
>> wouldn't insult the recipients.
>>
>> My lottery dream: Hire a tractor trailer, and arrange to go "shopping" at
>> the warehouse of a local grocery chain. Fill the truck to the limit. Have
>> the back of the truck rigged with video cameras, and driven to our local
>> food bank. Insist that the head honcho sign for the contents, and that
>> he/she be handed a little note: "Hope this helps. Love, Spongebob". Tell
>> the
>> truck driver that he gets $1000.00 when he brings me the videotape, so I
>> can
>> see the big smile (anonymously, of course).
>>
>> Next month, do it again, but this time, have it delivered by something
>> like
>> this, just for fun:
>> http://www.constructionhelicopter.com/flight.htm
>>
>> I'd be broke in a year, but what the heck.

> Good ream.
>
> However, I believe that food is food. Some folks with kids, who can't
> afford to buy a single box of Thin Mints, would be THRILLED to get some
> in their food box. When I was poor enough to frequent a California food
> bank for a few months, I was not choosey. We happily consumed a box of
> graham crackers smeared with betty crocker tub frosting for dessert -
> hell, we were hungry and we not only were begin fed, we were being
> ginve dessert!
>
> Poor folks really like a treat now and then, and they ain't snobby. I
> don't think you'd find a lot of people who were insulted by your choice
> to offer them cookies rather than a big fat nothing.

Well, I haven't won the lottery yet. So, when I contribute to the food bank,
it's usually stuff like Campbell's chunky soups - something you can actually
make a lunch or dinner out of.