Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Supper Tonight

Had those 1800GotJunk folks come out and haul away a huge amount of
rubbish that had collected in the workshed and some old fencing. Bless
their hearts, those cute young guys did it all in the rain and did a
bang up job. I'm just glad to have it all gone! I wish I could have
offered them some soup to warm them with before they left.

Not knowing exactly when they'd arrive, I worked on a huge double batch
of Dutch Split Pea Soup and then made an apple pie. The soup really hit
the spot, and the apple pie was delicious. I tried something new this
time with the crust. Usually I brush my top crust with milk and sprinkle
with sugar and a bit of cinnamon lightly. This time I brushed it with
cream and sprinkled it with finely chopped candied ginger. After baking
the top crust was pale and a touch softer, and the ginger pieces good
but not pronounced enough to bother doing again. Live and learn.
Served the soup with toasted rye bread and hot pepper sauce.

Very simple, very cheap supper...yet very satisfying.

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Dutch Split Pea Soup
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Beans Soups & Stews

> 1 pound split peas
> 6 cups water
> 4 cups chicken broth -- (or beef)
> 1/4 pound ham -- diced
> 3/4 cup celery -- chopped with leaves
> 2 leeks -- sliced, white part
> 1 large onion -- chopped
> 2 1/2 cups potatoes -- diced
> 1 1/2 cups diced carrot
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon pepper
> dash hot sauce
>
> In large saucepan, combine peas and water. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 min. Cover and remove from heat. Let sit 1 hour.
> Add broth, ham, celery, leeks and onion.. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer covered 1 1/2 hours.
> Add potatoes, carrots and cook 15-30 min more (peas should disinergrate). If soup gets too thick, think with some broth.
> Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Had those 1800GotJunk folks come out and haul away a huge amount of
> rubbish that had collected in the workshed and some old fencing.

God Bless 1800GotJunk! They hauled away my old refrigerater and a broken
down sofa a couple of years ago for a reasonable price!

>Bless their hearts, those cute young guys did it all in the rain and did a
> bang up job. I'm just glad to have it all gone! I wish I could have
> offered them some soup to warm them with before they left.

They hauled my stuff away in the searing heat of summer and wouldn't even
accept a glass of cold lemonade.

> Not knowing exactly when they'd arrive, I worked on a huge double
> batch of Dutch Split Pea Soup and then made an apple pie. The soup
> really hit the spot, and the apple pie was delicious. I tried
> something new this time with the crust. Usually I brush my top crust
> with milk and sprinkle with sugar and a bit of cinnamon lightly. This
> time I brushed it with cream and sprinkled it with finely chopped
> candied ginger. After baking the top crust was pale and a touch
> softer, and the ginger pieces good but not pronounced enough to
> bother doing again. Live and learn.
> Served the soup with toasted rye bread and hot pepper sauce.
>
> Very simple, very cheap supper...yet very satisfying.
>
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Dutch Split Pea Soup
>>
>> Recipe By :
>> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Beans Soups & Stews
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 pound split peas
>> 6 cups water
>> 4 cups chicken broth -- (or beef)
>> 1/4 pound ham -- diced
>> 3/4 cup celery -- chopped with leaves
>> 2 leeks -- sliced, white part
>> 1 large onion -- chopped
>> 2 1/2 cups potatoes -- diced
>> 1 1/2 cups diced carrot
>> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> 1/4 teaspoon pepper
>> dash hot sauce
>>
>> In large saucepan, combine peas and water. Bring to a boil and cook
>> for 2 min. Cover and remove from heat. Let sit 1 hour. Add broth,
>> ham, celery, leeks and onion.. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and
>> simmer covered 1 1/2 hours.
>> Add potatoes, carrots and cook 15-30 min more (peas should
>> disinergrate). If soup gets too thick, think with some broth.
>> Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce.

You know how I do love soup! I have split peas in the pantry! Hmmmm.
Thanks, Goomba!

Jill