Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Valentine's Day Menu - Long

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> I was snooping around for a good Valentine's day menu. Found exactly
> what I wanted on epicurious.com under the section of Aphrodisiacs.

(recipes snipped due to astonishment)

You've already planned your dinner menu?????????? I'll probably have
packaged ramen or stir-fry and my hubby will probably deep-fry something for
himself. Then again, we don't/can't eat the same things.

Now, if I *could* have what I want?: (Not that I could eat it all, anyway,
but hey, wishing is fun!)

Appetizers:
Swiss cheese fondue with an excellent sourdough bread
Baked clams
Stuffed mushrooms

Main meal:
Lobster, par boiled first and then finished broiled in butter
Broccoli with a cheddar cheese sauce
Shrimp fried rice

Dessert:
A 20 year old tawny port wine
Chocolate covered strawberries

Post Dessert:
Heart attack
Tummy tuck

:~)

kili
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:11:12 -0500, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>> I was snooping around for a good Valentine's day menu. Found exactly
>> what I wanted on epicurious.com under the section of Aphrodisiacs.

>(recipes snipped due to astonishment)

>Now, if I *could* have what I want?: (Not that I could eat it all, anyway,
>but hey, wishing is fun!)
>
>Appetizers:

>Main meal:

>Dessert:
>A 20 year old tawny port wine
>Chocolate covered strawberries

You left out the wines for the rest of the meal.

Now me, I would be having champagne to go with at least part of my
meal, maybe the appetizers...

I won't be having a Valentine's day dinner, cause I don't have a
valentine.....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:11:12 -0500, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
>> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>>> I was snooping around for a good Valentine's day menu. Found
>>> exactly what I wanted on epicurious.com under the section of
>>> Aphrodisiacs.

>> (recipes snipped due to astonishment)

>> Now, if I *could* have what I want?: (Not that I could eat it all,
>> anyway, but hey, wishing is fun!)
>>
>> Appetizers:

>> Main meal:

>> Dessert:
>> A 20 year old tawny port wine
>> Chocolate covered strawberries

> You left out the wines for the rest of the meal.
>
> Now me, I would be having champagne to go with at least part of my
> meal, maybe the appetizers...
>
> I won't be having a Valentine's day dinner, cause I don't have a
> valentine.....
>
> Christine

Oh, honey........... that doesn't mean you can't light a few candles and
make yourself something nice to eat. :~) Oh, and cheesecake, cheesecake!
You've got to have cheesecake. :~)

kili

--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:27:51 -0500, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Christine Dabney wrote:

>> I won't be having a Valentine's day dinner, cause I don't have a
>> valentine.....
>>
>> Christine

>Oh, honey........... that doesn't mean you can't light a few candles and
>make yourself something nice to eat. :~) Oh, and cheesecake, cheesecake!
>You've got to have cheesecake. :~)
>
>kili

Now that you mention it, I do have several recipes that look good. Sky
got me interested in making cheesecake...she talked about it in chat.
I have never, ever made one....

The new baking book I have (Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home To
Yours) has some interesting ones. One is a Brown Sugar-Apple
cheesecake. That one has been calling out to me....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

We're doing a prefix dinner at 525 Zest in Chicago which includes
lobster double consomme & lychee kebab infused with ginger, filet
mignon with macaroni gratin, lovers flourless cake and much more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Meloneyd wrote:

> We're doing a prefix dinner at 525 Zest in Chicago which includes
> lobster double consomme & lychee kebab infused with ginger, filet
> mignon with macaroni gratin, lovers flourless cake and much more.

Prix fixe.

And it sounds wonderful.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:50:50 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"

:

>> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:27:51 -0500, "kilikini"
>> > wrote:

>>>Oh, honey........... that doesn't mean you can't light a few candles
>>>and make yourself something nice to eat. :~)

>I think making yourself an excellent meal is a great suggestion from
>Christy. Cheesecake with a drizzle of chocolate swirls and fresh
>strawberries (if you can find 'em) on each slice.
>
>Michael

I might at that....

I am still stuck at home for another two months...so might as well put
on a good dinner....

Keep the ideas coming folks....
I don't have much money to splurge on a menu unfortunately, as my
disability payments are enough, but don't allow for wild splurges....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:
> Meloneyd wrote:
>
> > We're doing a prefix dinner at 525 Zest in Chicago which includes
> > lobster double consomme & lychee kebab infused with ginger, filet
> > mignon with macaroni gratin, lovers flourless cake and much more.

> Prix fixe.

oops!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> I am still stuck at home for another two months...so might as well put
> on a good dinner....
>
> Keep the ideas coming folks....
> I don't have much money to splurge on a menu unfortunately, as my
> disability payments are enough, but don't allow for wild splurges....

If you can get your hands on a couple of handfuls of small prawns
(shrimp, whatever!!)....... try Prawn and Watercress rolls as an
appetizer.

1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped dill leaves
sea salt & cracked black pepper
dinner rolls
prawns
2 cups watercress leaves.

Put sour cream, lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper in a bowl and stir to
combine.

Slice your rolls part way thru. Spread sour cream mix inside, top with
the prawns and watercress.

OR......

Wasabi and coriander mayonnaise

3/4 cup whole egg mayo
1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
1 tablespoon wasabi
1 table spoon lime juice

Mix all together in a small bowl, and set aside.

(Goes great with most seafoods!!)

We'll be having both on Thursday when the SIL&BIL come to visit.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> We usually go out for dinner and maybe to the Fox for a show but I'm just
> not into it this year. I'd rather putz around my own house.

I try not to be a stickler for correct Yiddish/English translations, but
do you think you could change that to "futz" around your own house?
I've been sick lately and the images of disengaged putzes is too much
for me.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "kilikini" >
> :
>
>> (recipes snipped due to astonishment)
>>
>> You've already planned your dinner menu??????????

> Well hell, the 2 of us talk on the phone a lot. What the hell else do I
> have to do all day besides shop (which I hate to do You know what my
> story is.
>
>> I'll probably have
>> packaged ramen or stir-fry and my hubby will probably deep-fry
>> something for himself. Then again, we don't/can't eat the same
>> things.
>>
>> Now, if I *could* have what I want?: (Not that I could eat it all,
>> anyway, but hey, wishing is fun!)

> We usually go out for dinner and maybe to the Fox for a show but I'm just
> not into it this year. I'd rather putz around my own house.
>

>> Appetizers:
>> Swiss cheese fondue with an excellent sourdough bread
>> Baked clams
>> Stuffed mushrooms
>>
>> Main meal:
>> Lobster, par boiled first and then finished broiled in butter
>> Broccoli with a cheddar cheese sauce
>> Shrimp fried rice
>>
>> Dessert:
>> A 20 year old tawny port wine
>> Chocolate covered strawberries
>>
>> Post Dessert:
>> Heart attack
>> Tummy tuck

> You forgot the Post Dessert sex part of the evening. Like I'd be in the
> mood anyway after a huge meal like that
>
> Michael

ROFL! I think we may be discovering our first Neapolitan restaraunt
that night...We'll be in naples for 2 weeks by then.

--
The Doctor: And I'm looking for a blonde in a Union Jack. A specific
one, mind you, I didn't just wake up this morning with a craving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>
>> We usually go out for dinner and maybe to the Fox for a show but I'm
>> just not into it this year. I'd rather putz around my own house.

> I try not to be a stickler for correct Yiddish/English translations, but
> do you think you could change that to "futz" around your own house? I've
> been sick lately and the images of disengaged putzes is too much for me.

In Germany, we hired a "putzfrau"..maids. Pronounced like "poots", not
"puttz" as in putt-putt golf sounds.
Of course one could be a putz and stiff the putzfrau....