Peggy

Default Old Foley Food Mill Safe to Use?

Folks -

While making apple sauce and tomato sauce this weekend, I noticed that
my Foley food mill had shed some of its what-I-presume-is nickel
plating, revealing its base metal. Does this present a hazard? Will
acid foods combine with something in the metal and do us all in?

I hate to replace it, because it still works very well, and is a "family
heirloom" my mom probably purchased in the 1930s or 1940s. On the other
hand, I suppose I could plant geraniums in it.

Anyone have any information on such things?

Peg (in New York's glorious Finger Lakes -- wine country!)

zxcvbob

Peggy wrote:
> Folks -
>
> While making apple sauce and tomato sauce this weekend, I noticed that
> my Foley food mill had shed some of its what-I-presume-is nickel
> plating, revealing its base metal. Does this present a hazard? Will
> acid foods combine with something in the metal and do us all in?
>
> I hate to replace it, because it still works very well, and is a "family
> heirloom" my mom probably purchased in the 1930s or 1940s. On the other
> hand, I suppose I could plant geraniums in it.
>
> Anyone have any information on such things?
>
> Peg (in New York's glorious Finger Lakes -- wine country!)

It should be tin plating, and the metal underneith is probably just
low-carbon mild steel. There shouldn't be any problems using it; the food
doesn't stay in contact with the metal long to hurt anything, and neither
tin nor steel is toxic anyway.

Best regards,
Bob

PENMART01

Peggy > writes:

>While making apple sauce and tomato sauce this weekend, I noticed that
>my Foley food mill had shed some of its what-I-presume-is nickel
>plating, revealing its base metal. Does this present a hazard? Will
>acid foods combine with something in the metal and do us all in?
>
>I hate to replace it, because it still works very well, and is a "family
>heirloom" my mom probably purchased in the 1930s or 1940s. On the other
>hand, I suppose I could plant geraniums in it.
>
>Anyone have any information on such things?
>
>Peg (in New York's glorious Finger Lakes -- wine country!)

Hi neighbor (sorta) -- capitol area

I have an old Foley too but so far mine has not begun to show any wear.

The plating on the Foley food mill is tin, which in of itself poses no health
threat, but if it has begun to flake off then it is time to retire it... you
really don't want to risk metal shavings in your food. The newer food mills
are made completely of stainless steel, and are not very expensive, I would
suggest you get yourself a new one. I intend to have a new food mill for
prossessing next year's crop, only because I now need something with greater
capacity than my trusty little Foley 101.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

zxcvbob

PENMART01 wrote:
> Peggy > writes:
>

>>While making apple sauce and tomato sauce this weekend, I noticed that
>>my Foley food mill had shed some of its what-I-presume-is nickel
>>plating, revealing its base metal. Does this present a hazard? Will
>>acid foods combine with something in the metal and do us all in?
>>
>>I hate to replace it, because it still works very well, and is a "family
>>heirloom" my mom probably purchased in the 1930s or 1940s. On the other
>>hand, I suppose I could plant geraniums in it.
>>
>>Anyone have any information on such things?
>>
>>Peg (in New York's glorious Finger Lakes -- wine country!)

> Hi neighbor (sorta) -- capitol area
>
> I have an old Foley too but so far mine has not begun to show any wear.
>
> The plating on the Foley food mill is tin, which in of itself poses no health
> threat, but if it has begun to flake off then it is time to retire it... you
> really don't want to risk metal shavings in your food. The newer food mills
> are made completely of stainless steel, and are not very expensive, I would
> suggest you get yourself a new one. I intend to have a new food mill for
> prossessing next year's crop, only because I now need something with greater
> capacity than my trusty little Foley 101.

You'd be better off getting the larger-sized Foley. (what's it called, a
"102"?) I had a stainless food mill that I bought at Williams Sonoma, and
it sucked. The hopper was big enough, but the interchangable screens were
*way* too small, and it didn't have that little wire that goes around the
bottom and scrapes the back of the screen. I bought a Foley mill at a
rummage sale for a buck or 2, and it works MUCH better. I gave the
stainless steel mill to my brother.

Best regards,
Bob

Nancy Young

Peggy wrote:

> I hate to replace it, because it still works very well, and is a "family
> heirloom" my mom probably purchased in the 1930s or 1940s. On the other
> hand, I suppose I could plant geraniums in it.

I'd get a new one, not for health reasons, but because I'd want to
keep it from further deterioring as a memento of your mother.

> Peg (in New York's glorious Finger Lakes -- wine country!)

Okay, not to scare you, I promise, but I thought of you when I got
up this morning. (laughing!!!) I ordered a travel package to the
finger lakes region and was wondering, who's that who had that in her
sig? Doesn't look like I'll get there this year, but who knows.

nancy

jmcquown

zxcvbob wrote:
> PENMART01 wrote:
>> Peggy > writes:
>>

>>> While making apple sauce and tomato sauce this weekend, I noticed
>>> that
>>> my Foley food mill had shed some of its what-I-presume-is nickel
>>> plating, revealing its base metal. Does this present a hazard?
>>> Peg (in New York's glorious Finger Lakes -- wine country!)

>> Hi neighbor (sorta) -- capitol area
>>
>> I have an old Foley too but so far mine has not begun to show any
>> wear.
>>
>> The plating on the Foley food mill is tin, which in of itself poses
>> no health threat, but if it has begun to flake off then it is time
>> to retire it... you really don't want to risk metal shavings in your
>> food. The newer food mills are made completely of stainless steel

> You'd be better off getting the larger-sized Foley. (what's it
> called, a "102"?) I had a stainless food mill that I bought at
> Williams Sonoma, and
> it sucked. I gave the
> stainless steel mill to my brother.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

ROFL! So, you gave your brother a gift that sucked?!

Jill

Cindy Fuller

In article >,
Peggy > wrote:

> Folks -
>
> While making apple sauce and tomato sauce this weekend, I noticed that
> my Foley food mill had shed some of its what-I-presume-is nickel
> plating, revealing its base metal. Does this present a hazard? Will
> acid foods combine with something in the metal and do us all in?
>
> I hate to replace it, because it still works very well, and is a "family
> heirloom" my mom probably purchased in the 1930s or 1940s. On the other
> hand, I suppose I could plant geraniums in it.
>
> Anyone have any information on such things?
>
> Peg (in New York's glorious Finger Lakes -- wine country!)

Peg,

Where have you been lately? I hadn't seen a post from you in a while
and worried that you zigged instead of zagged on Cayuga Heights Road.

I concur with the others. The metal isn't harmful per se, but it may
discolor the acidic food you run through it. I have a very old egg
beater that belonged to my grandmother with the same predicament. It's
living out a happy retirement here, along with some of her Mason jars.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller
zxcvbob

jmcquown wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>>PENMART01 wrote:

>>>Hi neighbor (sorta) -- capitol area
>>>
>>>I have an old Foley too but so far mine has not begun to show any
>>>wear.
>>>
>>>The plating on the Foley food mill is tin, which in of itself poses
>>>no health threat, but if it has begun to flake off then it is time
>>>to retire it... you really don't want to risk metal shavings in your
>>>food. The newer food mills are made completely of stainless steel

>>You'd be better off getting the larger-sized Foley. (what's it
>>called, a "102"?) I had a stainless food mill that I bought at
>>Williams Sonoma, and
>>it sucked. I gave the
>>stainless steel mill to my brother.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> ROFL! So, you gave your brother a gift that sucked?!
>
> Jill

Of course! :-)
It wasn't like a Christmas present or birthday present; I told him I didn't
want the food mill and did he want it.

Best regards,
Bob

Peggy

Nancy Young wrote:

> Peggy wrote:
>

>>I hate to replace it, because it still works very well, and is a "family
>>heirloom" my mom probably purchased in the 1930s or 1940s. On the other
>>hand, I suppose I could plant geraniums in it.

> I'd get a new one, not for health reasons, but because I'd want to
> keep it from further deterioring as a memento of your mother.
>

>>Peg (in New York's glorious Finger Lakes -- wine country!)

> Okay, not to scare you, I promise, but I thought of you when I got
> up this morning. (laughing!!!) I ordered a travel package to the
> finger lakes region and was wondering, who's that who had that in her
> sig? Doesn't look like I'll get there this year, but who knows.
>
> nancy

Do come and visit! This place is about to burst into fall color, and
it's promising to be a particularly glorious, crisp, moody-skyed fall.
Cheers!
Peg

Nancy Young

Peggy wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> >>Peg (in New York's glorious Finger Lakes -- wine country!)

> > Okay, not to scare you, I promise, but I thought of you when I got
> > up this morning. (laughing!!!) I ordered a travel package to the
> > finger lakes region and was wondering, who's that who had that in her
> > sig? Doesn't look like I'll get there this year, but who knows.

> Do come and visit! This place is about to burst into fall color, and
> it's promising to be a particularly glorious, crisp, moody-skyed fall.
> Cheers!
> Peg

Oh, I really wish I could, you have no idea. I'm jealous, hope you
have a great fall.

nancy