Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Uses for Daikon

I have a big daikon in the 'frige...

I've mostly eaten it raw in salads or used it in stir fry's. I probably
should have roasted it last night with the veggie mix I used with the
roast.

Anyone else have suggestions on how to use one?

I will google for recipes, but I trust y'all more. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 15:51:57 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>I have a big daikon in the 'frige...
>
>I've mostly eaten it raw in salads or used it in stir fry's. I probably
>should have roasted it last night with the veggie mix I used with the
>roast.
>
>Anyone else have suggestions on how to use one?

I "pickle" it in a vinegar/sugar/water solution (boil and pour over
the daikon, refrigerate at least a couple of hours).

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 15:51:57 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >I have a big daikon in the 'frige...
> >
> >I've mostly eaten it raw in salads or used it in stir fry's. I probably
> >should have roasted it last night with the veggie mix I used with the
> >roast.
> >
> >Anyone else have suggestions on how to use one?

> I "pickle" it in a vinegar/sugar/water solution (boil and pour over
> the daikon, refrigerate at least a couple of hours).
>
> Serene

Now THAT is interesting!

I keep brine from Claussen's pickles and use it for Okra or hard boiled
eggs. :-)

I'll add daikon to that, thanks!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> I have a big daikon in the 'frige...
>
> I've mostly eaten it raw in salads or used it in stir fry's. I probably
> should have roasted it last night with the veggie mix I used with the
> roast.
>
> Anyone else have suggestions on how to use one?
>
> I will google for recipes, but I trust y'all more. :-)

I put cut of strips of it in my country style miso soup. It is a natural
for making kimchi.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 19:02:55 -0500, George >
wrote:

>Omelet wrote:
>> I have a big daikon in the 'frige...

>> Anyone else have suggestions on how to use one?

>I put cut of strips of it in my country style miso soup. It is a natural
>for making kimchi.

It is also part of the vegetable mixture/salad on top of banh mi, the
Vietnamese sandwich. I just love those pickled carrots and daikon.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > I have a big daikon in the 'frige...
> >
> > I've mostly eaten it raw in salads or used it in stir fry's. I probably
> > should have roasted it last night with the veggie mix I used with the
> > roast.
> >
> > Anyone else have suggestions on how to use one?
> >
> > I will google for recipes, but I trust y'all more. :-)

> I put cut of strips of it in my country style miso soup. It is a natural
> for making kimchi.

Hm.

Next time I make an asian soup, I'll try adding some to it, shredded.

Thanks!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 19:02:55 -0500, George >
> wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>> I have a big daikon in the 'frige...

>>> Anyone else have suggestions on how to use one?

>> I put cut of strips of it in my country style miso soup. It is a natural
>> for making kimchi.

> It is also part of the vegetable mixture/salad on top of banh mi, the
> Vietnamese sandwich. I just love those pickled carrots and daikon.
>
> Christine

Yes, one of my favorite sandwiches.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...
> I have a big daikon in the 'frige...
>
> I've mostly eaten it raw in salads or used it in stir fry's. I probably
> should have roasted it last night with the veggie mix I used with the
> roast.
>
> Anyone else have suggestions on how to use one?
>
> I will google for recipes, but I trust y'all more. :-)

Here's the basic recipe I start with:
=========================
PICKLED DAIKON RADISH
Makes 1 quart

3 lb. daikon radish, peeled and grated
1 tbsp. sea salt
4 tbsp. whey

Place ingredients in a bowl, mix well and pound with a wooden masher or
meat hammer to release daikon juices. Place radish mixture in a quart-
sized, wide-mouth jar and press down lightly with the masher or hammer,
until juices come to the top of the mixture. The top of the radish
mixture should be an inch or more below the top of the jar. Cover
tightly and keep at room temp. for 3 days, then transfer to the fridge.
=========================
Notes:
- The sea salt should be unadulterated; i.e., no added sodium iodide,
anti-caking agents or stuff like that.
- If you don't have any fresh whey, you can add another tbsp. of sea
salt. But whey kick-starts the lacto-fermentation process, reducing the
chance of spoilage, so it's worth making some.
- I usually use thinly-sliced and/or julienned/shredded daikon in place
of grated. If the daikon skin is clean and intact, I don't bother
peeling, but just scrub it down with a veggie brush and remove any of
the fine root tendrils that might remain.
- This is the same basic procedure you'd use for sauerkraut, kimchi,
dill pickles and other fermented veggies. I much prefer sauerkraut made
this way to store-bought. Most store-bought kimchi is naturally
fermented, but it's still nice to be able to adjust the heat yourself
and try different flavors.
- The recipe came from the "Nourishing Traditions" cookbook.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

yetanotherBob wrote on 22 Jan 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> In article >,
> says...
> > I have a big daikon in the 'frige...
> >
> > I've mostly eaten it raw in salads or used it in stir fry's. I
> > probably should have roasted it last night with the veggie mix I
> > used with the roast.
> >
> > Anyone else have suggestions on how to use one?
> >
> > I will google for recipes, but I trust y'all more. :-)
> >

> Here's the basic recipe I start with:
> =========================
> PICKLED DAIKON RADISH
> Makes 1 quart
>
> 3 lb. daikon radish, peeled and grated
> 1 tbsp. sea salt
> 4 tbsp. whey
>
> Place ingredients in a bowl, mix well and pound with a wooden masher
> or meat hammer to release daikon juices. Place radish mixture in a
> quart- sized, wide-mouth jar and press down lightly with the masher or
> hammer, until juices come to the top of the mixture. The top of the
> radish mixture should be an inch or more below the top of the jar.
> Cover tightly and keep at room temp. for 3 days, then transfer to the
> fridge. =========================
> Notes:
> - The sea salt should be unadulterated; i.e., no added sodium iodide,
> anti-caking agents or stuff like that.
> - If you don't have any fresh whey, you can add another tbsp. of sea
> salt. But whey kick-starts the lacto-fermentation process, reducing
> the chance of spoilage, so it's worth making some.
> - I usually use thinly-sliced and/or julienned/shredded daikon in
> place of grated. If the daikon skin is clean and intact, I don't
> bother peeling, but just scrub it down with a veggie brush and remove
> any of the fine root tendrils that might remain.
> - This is the same basic procedure you'd use for sauerkraut, kimchi,
> dill pickles and other fermented veggies. I much prefer sauerkraut
> made this way to store-bought. Most store-bought kimchi is naturally
> fermented, but it's still nice to be able to adjust the heat yourself
> and try different flavors.
> - The recipe came from the "Nourishing Traditions" cookbook.
>
> Bob

I do the standard vinegared cucumber and onion thing but add diakon and
some crushed red pepper for some zing.

The standard vinegar, water and sugar to taste with thin slices of cukes,
onions and diakon soaking in it as a kinda value added supper
accompaniment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> George > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>> I have a big daikon in the 'frige...
>>>
>>> I've mostly eaten it raw in salads or used it in stir fry's. I probably
>>> should have roasted it last night with the veggie mix I used with the
>>> roast.
>>>
>>> Anyone else have suggestions on how to use one?
>>>
>>> I will google for recipes, but I trust y'all more. :-)

>> I put cut of strips of it in my country style miso soup. It is a natural
>> for making kimchi.

> Hm.
>
> Next time I make an asian soup, I'll try adding some to it, shredded.
>
> Thanks!

I think it would tend to disappear if you shredded it. Daikon cooks
quickly and wedges or strips have the texture of say a boiled potato
after only a short time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
yetanotherBob > wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> > I have a big daikon in the 'frige...
> >
> > I've mostly eaten it raw in salads or used it in stir fry's. I probably
> > should have roasted it last night with the veggie mix I used with the
> > roast.
> >
> > Anyone else have suggestions on how to use one?
> >
> > I will google for recipes, but I trust y'all more. :-)
> >

> Here's the basic recipe I start with:
> =========================
> PICKLED DAIKON RADISH
> Makes 1 quart
>
> 3 lb. daikon radish, peeled and grated
> 1 tbsp. sea salt
> 4 tbsp. whey
>
> Place ingredients in a bowl, mix well and pound with a wooden masher or
> meat hammer to release daikon juices. Place radish mixture in a quart-
> sized, wide-mouth jar and press down lightly with the masher or hammer,
> until juices come to the top of the mixture. The top of the radish
> mixture should be an inch or more below the top of the jar. Cover
> tightly and keep at room temp. for 3 days, then transfer to the fridge.
> =========================
> Notes:
> - The sea salt should be unadulterated; i.e., no added sodium iodide,
> anti-caking agents or stuff like that.
> - If you don't have any fresh whey, you can add another tbsp. of sea
> salt. But whey kick-starts the lacto-fermentation process, reducing the
> chance of spoilage, so it's worth making some.
> - I usually use thinly-sliced and/or julienned/shredded daikon in place
> of grated. If the daikon skin is clean and intact, I don't bother
> peeling, but just scrub it down with a veggie brush and remove any of
> the fine root tendrils that might remain.
> - This is the same basic procedure you'd use for sauerkraut, kimchi,
> dill pickles and other fermented veggies. I much prefer sauerkraut made
> this way to store-bought. Most store-bought kimchi is naturally
> fermented, but it's still nice to be able to adjust the heat yourself
> and try different flavors.
> - The recipe came from the "Nourishing Traditions" cookbook.
>
> Bob

Cool.

I can get whey off of the top of yogurt containers. Dad buys unflavored
yogurt by the quart.

I'll have to try this, thanks!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> I do the standard vinegared cucumber and onion thing but add diakon and
> some crushed red pepper for some zing.
>
> The standard vinegar, water and sugar to taste with thin slices of cukes,
> onions and diakon soaking in it as a kinda value added supper
> accompaniment.

So, pickled.

Pickling it was also suggested by another poster.

It's not like daikon is expensive. :-) I can try both...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > George > wrote:

> >> I put cut of strips of it in my country style miso soup. It is a natural
> >> for making kimchi.

> > Hm.
> >
> > Next time I make an asian soup, I'll try adding some to it, shredded.
> >
> > Thanks!

> I think it would tend to disappear if you shredded it. Daikon cooks
> quickly and wedges or strips have the texture of say a boiled potato
> after only a short time.

Actually, it doesn't disappear. I've eaten it roasted, pressure cooked
and fried. I've also cooked radishes whole and sliced in various dishes.
I like them a LOT better than turnips.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> I have a big daikon in the 'frige...
>
> I've mostly eaten it raw in salads or used it in stir fry's. I probably
> should have roasted it last night with the veggie mix I used with the
> roast.
>
> Anyone else have suggestions on how to use one?

Nah. I'm not touching this one. Too easy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Ace Berserker" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > I have a big daikon in the 'frige...
> >
> > I've mostly eaten it raw in salads or used it in stir fry's. I probably
> > should have roasted it last night with the veggie mix I used with the
> > roast.
> >
> > Anyone else have suggestions on how to use one?

> Nah. I'm not touching this one. Too easy.

Don't go there dude..... <lol>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> I have a big daikon in the 'frige...
>
> I've mostly eaten it raw in salads or used it in stir fry's. I probably
> should have roasted it last night with the veggie mix I used with the
> roast.
>
> Anyone else have suggestions on how to use one?
>
> I will google for recipes, but I trust y'all more. :-)

Funny you should ask. I've got one in the fridge. My husband heard you
can cut it into strips, roll the pieces in soy flour and make low-carb
'french fries' out of them.

It worked ok, not great, they get soggy fast and we found them a little
bland, and didn't like them enough to repeat.

So now I've got this 2nd daikon left over....

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "Ace Berserker" > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>> I have a big daikon in the 'frige...
>>>
>>> I've mostly eaten it raw in salads or used it in stir fry's. I probably
>>> should have roasted it last night with the veggie mix I used with the
>>> roast.
>>>
>>> Anyone else have suggestions on how to use one?

>> Nah. I'm not touching this one. Too easy.

> Don't go there dude..... <lol>

LOL.. he doesn't have to. You'll be there soon enough on your own.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dawn > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > I have a big daikon in the 'frige...
> >
> > I've mostly eaten it raw in salads or used it in stir fry's. I probably
> > should have roasted it last night with the veggie mix I used with the
> > roast.
> >
> > Anyone else have suggestions on how to use one?
> >
> > I will google for recipes, but I trust y'all more. :-)

> Funny you should ask. I've got one in the fridge. My husband heard you
> can cut it into strips, roll the pieces in soy flour and make low-carb
> 'french fries' out of them.
>
> It worked ok, not great, they get soggy fast and we found them a little
> bland, and didn't like them enough to repeat.
>
> So now I've got this 2nd daikon left over....
>

> Dawn

Heh!

Sounds like me and the great squash fry experiment. <lol>

They really do go well in stir fry, or served raw with ranch dressing,
cleaned and cut into long narrow strips. I've used them on crudite trays.

I am going to try pickling them for sure, or kimchee if I can work up
the nerve.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> I am going to try pickling them for sure, or kimchee if I can work up
> the nerve.

Kimchee is really just spicy coleslaw. Or sauerkraut, if you prefer.
There's no need to get grossed out by it. People get freaked out by it,
because they've heard it gets buried in the ground for months, but if
you lived in a country with no refridgeration that's the coldest place
to keep it.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dawn wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>

>> I am going to try pickling them for sure, or kimchee if I can work up
>> the nerve.

> Kimchee is really just spicy coleslaw. Or sauerkraut, if you prefer.
> There's no need to get grossed out by it. People get freaked out by it,
> because they've heard it gets buried in the ground for months, but if
> you lived in a country with no refridgeration that's the coldest place
> to keep it.
> Dawn

Kimchi isn't just one type or recipe either but any number of types. My
favorite is oyo/cucumber kimchi (..who knows how it is spelled properly
in hungul though?)
There is nothing to making kimchi, but of course it is easier in larger
batches and crocks then smaller, I think. And nothing to be grossed out
by either. I love the stuff and ate it for 3 months solid when I was
last pregnant. Sticky rice and kimchi were the only foods that appealed
to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dawn > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>

> > I am going to try pickling them for sure, or kimchee if I can work up
> > the nerve.

> Kimchee is really just spicy coleslaw. Or sauerkraut, if you prefer.
> There's no need to get grossed out by it. People get freaked out by it,
> because they've heard it gets buried in the ground for months, but if
> you lived in a country with no refridgeration that's the coldest place
> to keep it.
>

> Dawn

I've read of how a bus full of kimchee eaters smells........ ;-D
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Dawn > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>

>>> I am going to try pickling them for sure, or kimchee if I can work up
>>> the nerve.

>> Kimchee is really just spicy coleslaw. Or sauerkraut, if you prefer.
>> There's no need to get grossed out by it. People get freaked out by it,
>> because they've heard it gets buried in the ground for months, but if
>> you lived in a country with no refridgeration that's the coldest place
>> to keep it.
>>

>> Dawn

> I've read of how a bus full of kimchee eaters smells........ ;-D

What an ignorant offensive statement.