FoodBanter.com

-   -   Dinner-Pot Roast-Kasha (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/114250-re-dinner-pot-roast.html)

readandpostrosie 21-01-2007 03:08 PM

Dinner-Pot Roast-Kasha

question?
when a recipe calls for shortening, they mean a CISCO type lard thing,
right?
can a liquid oil be substituted?

Sheldon 21-01-2007 04:11 PM

Dinner-Pot Roast-Kasha

Michael Dog3 Lonergan wrote:
> "readandpostrosie" writes:
>
> > question?
> > when a recipe calls for shortening, they mean a CISCO type lard thing,
> > right?
> > can a liquid oil be substituted?

> I substitute liquid oil sometimes. Not sure what the dif is in terms of
> taste with the particular recipe.

The term shortening should only be used in reference to baking wheat
flour products (used to shorten the gluten strands). In all other
cases the correct term is "fat" (cooking fat). If a recipe is specific
as to type of fat, ie. corn oil, olive oil, butter, lard, margerine,
bacon greeze, etc., than that's fine, but you don't fry in shortening.
And it's Crisco ("CISCO" is the Tex-Mex version, also the high
cholesterol version, PANCHO), and that is just a brand name for
hydrogenated vegetable fat, essentially unflavored margerine, although
nowadays Crisco markets a butter flavored product... duh... that's just
soft spread margerine. Whether to use solid or liquid fats is a matter
of type of recipe, tradition, and individual preference... in many
cases solid and liquid fats are interchangeable... like with fying
eggs, for most folks using a solid fat is traditional (in the
hillybilly south it's bacon greeze), but there's no taboo with frying
eggs in liquid fat, WOPs traditionally use olive oil, of course WOPs
use olive oil for everything, hair conditioner, squeaky hinges, rectal
lube... I think they call it Posteriola. <G>

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . .

Sheldon

Melba's Jammin' 21-01-2007 07:30 PM

Dinner-Pot Roast-Kasha

In article >,
"readandpostrosie" > wrote:

> question?
> when a recipe calls for shortening, they mean a CISCO type lard
> thing, right? can a liquid oil be substituted?

It''s CRisco and I don't think you can substitute oil willy nilly. I'd
be more inclined to substitute another solid fat (margarine or butter)
before I'd sub oil in a recipe that wasn't specifically formulated for
it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic