Posted to rec.food.cooking
mm mm is offline

Default Uisng Rival hot pot to make small amount of red lentil dal curry

Red lentil pictu http://www.fotosearch.com/IGS624/is298-098/

Rival Hot Pot at
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...3&BTSMode=true

I am thinking to use the above rival hot pot to make a small amount of
dal curry. I will just boil the lentil in it and then add some oinon,
and seasoning, etc. satueed in a pan to the Rival hot pot when the
lentil is at desired texture.

The process would take continuous running of that electric thing for
some time but it would save me from washing a pot.

If I were to do that on the regular basis, how long do you think the
Rival hot pot would last?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

mm wrote:
> Red lentil pictu http://www.fotosearch.com/IGS624/is298-098/
>
> Rival Hot Pot at
> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...3&BTSMode=true
>
> I am thinking to use the above rival hot pot to make a small amount of
> dal curry. I will just boil the lentil in it and then add some oinon,
> and seasoning, etc. satueed in a pan to the Rival hot pot when the
> lentil is at desired texture.
>
> The process would take continuous running of that electric thing for
> some time but it would save me from washing a pot.

Wouldn't you have to wash the hot pot? I don't see the point.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> mm wrote:
> > Red lentil pictu http://www.fotosearch.com/IGS624/is298-098/
> >
> > Rival Hot Pot at
> > http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...3&BTSMode=true
> >
> > I am thinking to use the above rival hot pot to make a small amount of
> > dal curry. I will just boil the lentil in it and then add some oinon,
> > and seasoning, etc. satueed in a pan to the Rival hot pot when the
> > lentil is at desired texture.
> >
> > The process would take continuous running of that electric thing for
> > some time but it would save me from washing a pot.

> Wouldn't you have to wash the hot pot?

I was thiking to just rinse it out and resue it till it needs washing
wiht soap. I am talking about cokking one seving or 2 serving the
most, not even as amain dish but as aside dish, i.e small amount.

> I don't see the point.

How about now?

> Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking
mm mm is offline

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> mm wrote:
> > Red lentil pictu http://www.fotosearch.com/IGS624/is298-098/
> >
> > Rival Hot Pot at
> > http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...3&BTSMode=true
> >
> > I am thinking to use the above rival hot pot to make a small amount of
> > dal curry. I will just boil the lentil in it and then add some oinon,
> > and seasoning, etc. satueed in a pan to the Rival hot pot when the
> > lentil is at desired texture.
> >
> > The process would take continuous running of that electric thing for
> > some time but it would save me from washing a pot.

> Wouldn't you have to wash the hot pot?

I was thiking to just rinse it out and resue it till it needs washing
wiht soap. I am talking about cokking one seving or 2 serving the
most, not even as amain dish but as aside dish, i.e small amount.

> I don't see the point.

How about now?

> Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

mm wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > mm wrote:
> > > Red lentil pictu http://www.fotosearch.com/IGS624/is298-098/
> > >
> > > Rival Hot Pot at
> > > http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...3&BTSMode=true
> > >
> > > I am thinking to use the above rival hot pot to make a small amount of
> > > dal curry. I will just boil the lentil in it and then add some oinon,
> > > and seasoning, etc. satueed in a pan to the Rival hot pot when the
> > > lentil is at desired texture.
> > >
> > > The process would take continuous running of that electric thing for
> > > some time but it would save me from washing a pot.

> > Wouldn't you have to wash the hot pot?

> I was thiking to just rinse it out and resue it till it needs washing
> wiht soap. I am talking about cokking one seving or 2 serving the
> most, not even as amain dish but as aside dish, i.e small amount.

Well, then, just rinse out the pot and reuse it. I'm still not seeing
the advantage of using the hot pot.

Oh, and if you're going to sautee onion and seasonings in a pan, you
may as well make the dal in the same pan.

Mind you, I have a Rival hot pot, but I use it only for hot water when
traveling. Mine's white plastic, which would stain horribly if used
for dal.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking
mm mm is offline

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> mm wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Wouldn't you have to wash the hot pot?

> > I was thiking to just rinse it out and resue it till it needs washing
> > wiht soap. I am talking about cokking one seving or 2 serving the
> > most, not even as amain dish but as aside dish, i.e small amount.

> Well, then, just rinse out the pot and reuse it. I'm still not seeing
> the advantage of using the hot pot.
>
> Oh, and if you're going to sautee onion and seasonings in a pan, you
> may as well make the dal in the same pan.

I can't afford to assign one pot for Dal.

> Mind you, I have a Rival hot pot, but I use it only for hot water when
> traveling. Mine's white plastic, which would stain horribly if used
> for dal.

Mine is plastic too. It will stain.

I am thinking to go about it like this. Boil the red lentil in hot pot.
When ready to eat, sauteed ionion, etc. in the little pan - the one I
use for fryign eggs. After pouring in the boilded red lentil into a
bowl type container, add the sauteed seasoning into that bowl.

I will experiment it to see how long it will take to boil the red
lentil in hot pot to become totally mushy. I am thinking to fill up the
water so that I don't have to refill it. I am going to go test it now.

> Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking
mm mm is offline

BTW, the reason I wasn't concern about the stain was that I was going
to use it to make tea when my brother or friends who drink tea. The tea
leave is boiled in milk or milk/water after the water starts boiling,
leaving the stain in the pot. I had to wash the pot right away. I use
my kettle for water boiling only to use in boiling noodles mianly. I
also have another electric kettle that automatically shuts off and keep
the water hot. I bought that one for my mother when she was visiting.