Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken gizzard stew

Ingredients

* Chicken gizzards (or chicken gizzards and hearts)
* 1/2 onion
* 2 spoon tomato sauce

Preparation

* Clean the gizzards with water
* Boil them until they are soft. Depending on the gizzards quality
you might have to change the water once
* In the mean time cut the onion
* When the gizzards are soft cut them in small pieces. Don't throw
all the boiling water as if it's clean you could use it.

Gizzards boiled and cut

* Fry the onion and when soft put the gizzards, the tomato sauce
and 250 ml water (or the boiling water from the gizzards.
* Leave for 10-15 minutes as you stir from time to time.

Gizzard stew

* Enjoy.

Complete with photos at:
http://www.len.ro/cooking/chicken-gizzards-stew/

Len
http://www.len.ro

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Ingredients
>
> * Chicken gizzards (or chicken gizzards and hearts)
> * 1/2 onion
> * 2 spoon tomato sauce
>
> Preparation
>
> * Clean the gizzards with water
> * Boil them until they are soft. Depending on the gizzards quality
> you might have to change the water once
> * In the mean time cut the onion
> * When the gizzards are soft cut them in small pieces. Don't throw
> all the boiling water as if it's clean you could use it.
>
> Gizzards boiled and cut
>
> * Fry the onion and when soft put the gizzards, the tomato sauce
> and 250 ml water (or the boiling water from the gizzards.
> * Leave for 10-15 minutes as you stir from time to time.
>
> Gizzard stew
>
> * Enjoy.
>
> Complete with photos at:

http://www.len.ro/cooking/chicken-gizzards-stew/

> Len
> http://www.len.ro

Thank you, this is even easier than my way. I clean the gizzards, but
do not boil them, I just simmer them slowly in the caramelized diced
onions, to which I add some chicken stock. I also put in some sliced
carrots. I will try to do it as you posted, as that should be much
faster. When I simmer the gizzards, it takes between one and two
hours until they are tender enough and i have to stir them frequently.
I will see whether I can find some in the market today.

The pictures are great!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'll bet this would taste good over kasha and bow pasta - MIke

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:02:50 GMT, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

>Thank you, this is even easier than my way. I clean the gizzards, but
>do not boil them, I just simmer them slowly in the caramelized diced
>onions, to which I add some chicken stock. I also put in some sliced
>carrots. I will try to do it as you posted, as that should be much
>faster. When I simmer the gizzards, it takes between one and two
>hours until they are tender enough and i have to stir them frequently.

My mother puts them in the slow-cooker all day with some onions, and
then when they're all juicy, she adds pastina (tiny Italian pasta) and
cooks some more until the pastina is done. I don't like the gizzards
themselves, but the pasta/onions/gizzard broth is *delightful*, and I
can eat bowls of pastina prepared that way.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 11:15:30 -0500, Peter A >
wrote:

>How do you get enough gizzards? Saving them up one chicken at a time
>seems impractical.

You can buy them at the meat counter of most grocery stores. If
they're not out, ask the butcher if they have any.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:

> How do you get enough gizzards? Saving them up one chicken at a time
> seems impractical.

They sometimes sell packs of them at the grocery store.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In fact I bought them in the store as a pack but this time I did not
payed much attention and got a pack with gizzards and hearts as you can
see in the images. It's still good it this combination also.

As a child my grandmother was buying the gizzards with the chicken and
had to clean all the small stones the chicken eats in order to grind
the seeds. I don't think it's the case these days when the chicken eat
some kind of industrialized paste. Sometimes the gizzards muscle is a
bit yellow, then I throw it away.

Len
http://www.len.ro

Serene wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 11:15:30 -0500, Peter A >
> wrote:
>
> >How do you get enough gizzards? Saving them up one chicken at a time
> >seems impractical.

> You can buy them at the meat counter of most grocery stores. If
> they're not out, ask the butcher if they have any.
>
> Serene
> --
> "I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.
>
> http://serenejournal.livejournal.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran wrote:
> wrote:
> > Ingredients
> >
> > * Chicken gizzards (or chicken gizzards and hearts)
> > * 1/2 onion
> > * 2 spoon tomato sauce
> >
> > Preparation
> >
> > * Clean the gizzards with water
> > * Boil them until they are soft. Depending on the gizzards quality
> > you might have to change the water once
> > * In the mean time cut the onion
> > * When the gizzards are soft cut them in small pieces. Don't throw
> > all the boiling water as if it's clean you could use it.
> >
> > Gizzards boiled and cut
> >
> > * Fry the onion and when soft put the gizzards, the tomato sauce
> > and 250 ml water (or the boiling water from the gizzards.
> > * Leave for 10-15 minutes as you stir from time to time.
> >
> > Gizzard stew
> >
> > * Enjoy.
> >
> > Complete with photos at:

http://www.len.ro/cooking/chicken-gizzards-stew/

> > Len
> > http://www.len.ro
> >

> Thank you, this is even easier than my way. I clean the gizzards, but
> do not boil them, I just simmer them slowly in the caramelized diced
> onions, to which I add some chicken stock. I also put in some sliced
> carrots. I will try to do it as you posted, as that should be much
> faster. When I simmer the gizzards, it takes between one and two
> hours until they are tender enough and i have to stir them frequently.
> I will see whether I can find some in the market today.

It is easy indeed to boil the gizzards and you surely don't have to
stir so frequently. Sometimes depending on the gizzards quality you
have to throw the water away. This happens if the chicken was fed some
kind of junk. For me it still takes 30 mins to have the gizzards soft
enough.

Len
www.len.ro

> The pictures are great!

Check the others also:
http://www.len.ro/cooking/preparation-photo-details/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

If the meat is clean the boiling it should result in a clear yellow
water and you don't have to have more than twice to remove the foam.
Any meat boiling results in some foam which should be removed but if
there is a lot of foam and it's dirty then I change the water and wash
the meat before replacing with clean water.

Len
www.len.ro

-bwg wrote:
> wrote:
> > It is easy indeed to boil the gizzards and you surely don't have to
> > stir so frequently. Sometimes depending on the gizzards quality you
> > have to throw the water away. This happens if the chicken was fed some
> > kind of junk. For me it still takes 30 mins to have the gizzards soft
> > enough.
> >

> How can you tell if you have to throw the water away or if it is all
> right to use?
>
> Thanks,
> -bwg
>
> > Len

www.len.ro

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran wrote:

/www.len.ro

> Thank you, this is even easier than my way. I clean the gizzards, but
> do not boil them, I just simmer them slowly in the caramelized diced
> onions, to which I add some chicken stock. I also put in some sliced
> carrots. I will try to do it as you posted, as that should be much
> faster. When I simmer the gizzards, it takes between one and two
> hours until they are tender enough and i have to stir them frequently.
> I will see whether I can find some in the market today.
>
> The pictures are great!

I rinse the gizzards and cut them in half. Brown lots of sliced onions
in olive oil, remove onions, add gizzards to oil and quickly brown
them. Return onions to pot, add chicken broth, summer savory, salt &
pepper. If I have some on hand, instead of salt, I add a tablespoon of
"Les herbes salées du Bas-du-Fleuve"**. Bring to a boil, then simmer
until the gizzards are tender. If I'm making this after work I usually
use the pressure cooker.

Once the gizzards are tender I add diced rutabagas, carrots and
potatoes and simmer until tender. Gorge.

** Herbes salées: recipe varies but this particular brand is a mixture
of finely chopped celery, onions, carrots, parsnips, parsley, chevil,
savory, leek, chives, spinach packed with coarse salt. When I was
growing up there was a always a crock of these in the cold room. Mom
or my aunt would make them with onions (fresh from the garden, stalks
included), celery, parsley and carrots. When I got my own place I'd
make a small batch every couple of months or so for soups & stews.

By the way, I heard on a CBC radio show last week that the FDA wouldn't
allow summer savory into the US. I didn't take it too seriously
because it was obvious that neither of the hosts of the show knew what
the herb was but now I wonder, does the FDA have a problem with summer
savory?

Gabby

Chicken stew Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 291 21-05-2016 02:54 AM
Chicken Gizzard and Hearts Skewers - Chinese Inspired Recipe Laszlo Varga General Cooking 0 02-09-2014 03:16 PM
Chicken Stew Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-06-2005 02:53 PM
Stew Chicken vs Regular Chicken mary General Cooking 1 07-12-2004 07:04 PM
chicken stew Michael Snow General Cooking 18 19-04-2004 12:12 AM