Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Crushed tomatoes/whole canned tomatoes

I made a pot of the Beef Barley Soup that was posted here last week.
I didn't have whole canned tomatoes, so substituted a can of crushed.
The soup was waaaay too tomatoey. Is there that much difference in the
tomato content? I added more beef broth and lots of sliced cabbage and
that helped, but it still had too much tomato flavour for my taste.
Anyone??

Thanks......Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote in message ...

> I made a pot of the Beef Barley Soup that was posted here last week.
> I didn't have whole canned tomatoes, so substituted a can of crushed.
> The soup was waaaay too tomatoey. Is there that much difference in the
> tomato content? I added more beef broth and lots of sliced cabbage and
> that helped, but it still had too much tomato flavour for my taste.
> Anyone??
>
> Thanks......Sharon

Use less next time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, biig > wrote:

> I made a pot of the Beef Barley Soup that was posted here last week.
> I didn't have whole canned tomatoes, so substituted a can of crushed.
> The soup was waaaay too tomatoey. Is there that much difference in the
> tomato content? I added more beef broth and lots of sliced cabbage and
> that helped, but it still had too much tomato flavour for my taste.

I've never heard of too much tomato flavor.

:-)

I don't have a good answer for you, but I don't think there is that much
difference in taste, just texture. Sounds like you should just use
less, of either one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:56:27 -0500, biig > wrote:

> I made a pot of the Beef Barley Soup that was posted here last week.
>I didn't have whole canned tomatoes, so substituted a can of crushed.
>The soup was waaaay too tomatoey. Is there that much difference in the
>tomato content? I added more beef broth and lots of sliced cabbage and
>that helped, but it still had too much tomato flavour for my taste.
>Anyone??

Sharon, the whole tomatoes would have been crushed eventually, but
they would still be in big hunks.

I use crushed tomatoes in place of tomato sauce because it has a
fresher flavor. Too bad the experiment didn't work out for you, but
now you know that you won't add the entire can of crushed tomatoes
next time. I'd add it 1/4 C at a time.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, biig > wrote:

> I made a pot of the Beef Barley Soup that was posted here last week.
> I didn't have whole canned tomatoes, so substituted a can of crushed.
> The soup was waaaay too tomatoey. Is there that much difference in the
> tomato content? I added more beef broth and lots of sliced cabbage and
> that helped, but it still had too much tomato flavour for my taste.
> Anyone??
>
> Thanks......Sharon

Apparently there is. :-)
Next time use less. I use tomato powder (quantity at my discretion) for
tomato flavor in stuff like that. Or juice. And I don't ever measure
anything when making soup so maybe the poster of that recipe doesn't
measure but was just guessing at amounts -- and guessed wrong for some
of the measures. (I haven't looked at the recipe.)

Was this vegetable soup with barley? When I do that, I cook the beef
bones first with a bay leaf, celery and onion, s&p, then drain and toss
the veggies. I separate the meat from the bones and chill the broth for
easy removal of the layer of fat. If I use barley in the soup, I cook
it first, drain, and add it near the end of the cook time. Vegetables
are typically celery, carrot, onion, green beans, peas, corn, maybe
cabbage. A little tomato powder added to the beef broth. I add the
meat towards the end of the cook time. I made a killer batch of it a
few weeks ago. Ohyeah!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:
> I made a pot of the Beef Barley Soup that was posted here last week.
> I didn't have whole canned tomatoes, so substituted a can of crushed.
> The soup was waaaay too tomatoey. Is there that much difference in the
> tomato content? I added more beef broth and lots of sliced cabbage and
> that helped, but it still had too much tomato flavour for my taste.
> Anyone??
>
> Thanks......Sharon

A large can of crushed tomatoes represents quite a few more whole
tomatoes (crushed) than would be in a can of actual "whole tomatoes".
So essentially you added too many tomatoes to your soup. As Joe
said...use less next time or just be sure you have what you need for
your recipe before you begin to make it. I see that quite a bit around
these parts--that is, people not being "mise en place" and scrambling
to make substitutions. And then they wonder why it doesn't taste
good..or taste the same. *shrugs* Shop before you chop!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"biig" > schreef in bericht ...

> I made a pot of the Beef Barley Soup that was posted here last week.
> I didn't have whole canned tomatoes, so substituted a can of crushed.
> The soup was waaaay too tomatoey. Is there that much difference in the
> tomato content? I added more beef broth and lots of sliced cabbage and
> that helped, but it still had too much tomato flavour for my taste.
> Anyone??
>
> Thanks......Sharon

In my part of the world, those 2 kinds of canned tomatoes ARE different. The
calorie count is different (crushed is higher), which leads me to suspect
there's less juice and more solids in a can of crushed tomatoes.

Even moreso with sieved/pureed tomatoes from those tetrapaks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:

> "biig" > schreef in bericht
> >
> > I made a pot of the Beef Barley Soup that was posted here last
> > week. I didn't have whole canned tomatoes, so substituted a can of
> > crushed. The soup was waaaay too tomatoey. Is there that much
> > difference in the tomato content? I added more beef broth and lots
> > of sliced cabbage and that helped, but it still had too much tomato
> > flavour for my taste. Anyone??
> >
> > Thanks......Sharon

> In my part of the world, those 2 kinds of canned tomatoes ARE
> different. The calorie count is different (crushed is higher), which
> leads me to suspect there's less juice and more solids in a can of
> crushed tomatoes.

Whole tomatoes are typically packed in tomato juice, crushed tomatoes
in "puree", actually reconstituted tomato paste.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:56:27 -0500, biig > wrote:

> I made a pot of the Beef Barley Soup that was posted here last week.
>I didn't have whole canned tomatoes, so substituted a can of crushed.
>The soup was waaaay too tomatoey. Is there that much difference in the
>tomato content? I added more beef broth and lots of sliced cabbage and
>that helped, but it still had too much tomato flavour for my taste.
>Anyone??
>
> Thanks......Sharon

It was the amount of puree that did it.

Crushed tomatoes contain pureed tomatoes as well as the tomato chunks.
Whole canned tomatoes don't have as much puree; some have tomato juice
instead of puree. In any case, a lot of the volume is inside the
whole tomatoes so there is less room in the can for the puree.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:56:27 -0500, biig > wrote:
>
>> I made a pot of the Beef Barley Soup that was posted here last week.
>> I didn't have whole canned tomatoes, so substituted a can of crushed.
>> The soup was waaaay too tomatoey. Is there that much difference in the
>> tomato content? I added more beef broth and lots of sliced cabbage and
>> that helped, but it still had too much tomato flavour for my taste.
>> Anyone??
>>

> Sharon, the whole tomatoes would have been crushed eventually, but
> they would still be in big hunks.

Perhaps the same sized can of whole tomatoes will probably hold less
whole tomatoes than a can of the smaller tomato bits that doesn't
contain extra liquid?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:56:27 -0500, biig > wrote:
>

> > I made a pot of the Beef Barley Soup that was posted here last week.
> >I didn't have whole canned tomatoes, so substituted a can of crushed.
> >The soup was waaaay too tomatoey. Is there that much difference in the
> >tomato content? I added more beef broth and lots of sliced cabbage and
> >that helped, but it still had too much tomato flavour for my taste.
> >Anyone??
> >
> > Thanks......Sharon

> It was the amount of puree that did it.
>
> Thanks a bunch for all the answers. I don't use tomatoes in many recipes, but since so many people were raving about that recipe, I wanted to try it. Just didn't have any idea that crushed would be more concentrated than whole.....slapping my forehead....duh.... thanks again

.......Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:56:27 -0500, biig > wrote:
>>
>>> I made a pot of the Beef Barley Soup that was posted here last week. I
>>> didn't have whole canned tomatoes, so substituted a can of crushed. The
>>> soup was waaaay too tomatoey. Is there that much difference in the
>>> tomato content? I added more beef broth and lots of sliced cabbage and
>>> that helped, but it still had too much tomato flavour for my taste.
>>> Anyone??
>>>

>> Sharon, the whole tomatoes would have been crushed eventually, but
>> they would still be in big hunks.

> Perhaps the same sized can of whole tomatoes will probably hold less whole
> tomatoes than a can of the smaller tomato bits that doesn't contain extra
> liquid?

Time to break out the scale. Or, post 400 messages about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Default User" > schreef in bericht
> Jke wrote:
>

>> "biig" > schreef in bericht
>> >
>> > I made a pot of the Beef Barley Soup that was posted here last
>> > week. I didn't have whole canned tomatoes, so substituted a can of
>> > crushed. The soup was waaaay too tomatoey. Is there that much
>> > difference in the tomato content? I added more beef broth and lots
>> > of sliced cabbage and that helped, but it still had too much tomato
>> > flavour for my taste. Anyone??
>> >
>> > Thanks......Sharon

>> In my part of the world, those 2 kinds of canned tomatoes ARE
>> different. The calorie count is different (crushed is higher), which
>> leads me to suspect there's less juice and more solids in a can of
>> crushed tomatoes.

> Whole tomatoes are typically packed in tomato juice, crushed tomatoes
> in "puree", actually reconstituted tomato paste.

Good to knowo. It helps to expain the very high sodium content the puree in
my cupboard has. Too high for most of my cooking purposes, as I recently
discovered. Back to the cans

Posted to rec.food.cooking

So what's the difference between diced and petite tomatoes? They look
the same to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:

> So what's the difference between diced and petite tomatoes? They look
> the same to me.

Petite diced tomatoes are just a smaller dice. Almost chopped.

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Scott > wrote:

> So what's the difference between diced and petite tomatoes? They look
> the same to me.

The petite are supposed to be smaller. In my experience, it depends on
the brand.

I am thankful for these both. We used to have to cut them up with a
knife, a messy job. I remember cutting up a number ten can for soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 11:04:54 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> Scott > wrote:
>
>> So what's the difference between diced and petite tomatoes? They look
>> the same to me.

>The petite are supposed to be smaller. In my experience, it depends on
>the brand.
>
>I am thankful for these both. We used to have to cut them up with a
>knife, a messy job. I remember cutting up a number ten can for soup.

Jeeze Dan, I just throw them into the food processor and pulse. You
don't need perfect squares, just chunks.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Jocelyn De Contents" > wrote:

> I see that quite a bit around these parts--that is, people not being
> "mise en place" and scrambling to make substitutions. And then they
> wonder why it doesn't taste good..or taste the same. *shrugs* Shop
> before you chop!

But that would require advance planning! What's the fun in that?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
1/11/2007,Pork Tenderloin and Oven Roasted Potatoes
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 11:04:54 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Scott > wrote:
> >
> >> So what's the difference between diced and petite tomatoes? They look
> >> the same to me.

> >The petite are supposed to be smaller. In my experience, it depends on
> >the brand.
> >
> >I am thankful for these both. We used to have to cut them up with a
> >knife, a messy job. I remember cutting up a number ten can for soup.

> Jeeze Dan, I just throw them into the food processor and pulse. You
> don't need perfect squares, just chunks.

But then you need to wash the food processor. Why not just buy them
already cut?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:57:49 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >, sf wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 11:04:54 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>> >The petite are supposed to be smaller. In my experience, it depends on
>> >the brand.
>> >
>> >I am thankful for these both. We used to have to cut them up with a
>> >knife, a messy job. I remember cutting up a number ten can for soup.

>> Jeeze Dan, I just throw them into the food processor and pulse. You
>> don't need perfect squares, just chunks.

>But then you need to wash the food processor. Why not just buy them
>already cut?

I'm not spazzing over uniformity and it doesn't take much more than
15 -30 seconds to rinse out the food processor bowl. My time isn't
that precious. If I don't have time for a minute of bowl washing, I
have even less time to cook.... so I eat out.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:57:49 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>

> I'm not spazzing over uniformity and it doesn't take much more than
> 15 -30 seconds to rinse out the food processor bowl.

What kind of processor do you have? I keep debating whether to get one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:
> I made a pot of the Beef Barley Soup that was posted here last week.
> I didn't have whole canned tomatoes, so substituted a can of crushed.
> The soup was waaaay too tomatoey. Is there that much difference in the
> tomato content? I added more beef broth and lots of sliced cabbage and
> that helped, but it still had too much tomato flavour for my taste.
> Anyone??
>
> Thanks......Sharon

With canned tomatoes you need to read the labels carefully. Plain
crushed tomatoes contain more tomato flesh than plain whole tomatoes.
But often whole tomatoes are packed in tomato puree, so they they are
about equal tomato strength to plain crushed tomatos... but... crushed
tomatoes can also be packed in tomato puree, then they they have a
greater tomato strength than whole tomatoes packed in puree... like
leap frogging tomatoes. Also different brands are different tomato
potencies. I've found the best way to use canned tomatoes for soups
and stews is it to add just part of the can, hold some back until you
check the flavor and consistancy... add no more than a quarter of the
can at a time. But with plain old canned tomato puree all brands by
USDA law need to fall within a very narrow range of solids to liquids,
so that is most consistant (same with tomato paste). With recipes I
haven't made previously I don't dump the entire contents of anything in
all at once (one of the many reasons I don't consider pressure
processing cooking). That said I don't like any tomatoes in my beef
barley soup... with any reddish/pinkish tinge at all it just doesn't
look right (for a soupcon of acidity a squirt of fresh lemon is better,
I like to add a sliver of lemon peel studed with 2-3 whole cloves).
And cabbage with beef barley soup is a disgusting combination. Beef
barley soup gets mushrooms, has to have mushrooms in fact or don't
bother. Beef barley 'shroom soup actually requires very few
ingredients... one of the easiest soups to prepare... this is not a
soup to clean out your larder... don't add whatever extraneous items
that come to mind or you'll end up with pig slop, literally.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> biig wrote:
> > I made a pot of the Beef Barley Soup that was posted here last week.
> > I didn't have whole canned tomatoes, so substituted a can of crushed.
> > The soup was waaaay too tomatoey. Is there that much difference in the
> > tomato content? I added more beef broth and lots of sliced cabbage and
> > that helped, but it still had too much tomato flavour for my taste.
> > Anyone??
> >
> > Thanks......Sharon

> With canned tomatoes you need to read the labels carefully. Plain
> crushed tomatoes contain more tomato flesh than plain whole tomatoes.
> But often whole tomatoes are packed in tomato puree, so they they are
> about equal tomato strength to plain crushed tomatos... but... crushed
> tomatoes can also be packed in tomato puree, then they they have a
> greater tomato strength than whole tomatoes packed in puree... like
> leap frogging tomatoes. Also different brands are different tomato
> potencies. I've found the best way to use canned tomatoes for soups
> and stews is it to add just part of the can, hold some back until you
> check the flavor and consistancy... add no more than a quarter of the
> can at a time. But with plain old canned tomato puree all brands by
> USDA law need to fall within a very narrow range of solids to liquids,
> so that is most consistant (same with tomato paste). With recipes I
> haven't made previously I don't dump the entire contents of anything in
> all at once (one of the many reasons I don't consider pressure
> processing cooking). That said I don't like any tomatoes in my beef
> barley soup... with any reddish/pinkish tinge at all it just doesn't
> look right (for a soupcon of acidity a squirt of fresh lemon is better,
> I like to add a sliver of lemon peel studed with 2-3 whole cloves).
> And cabbage with beef barley soup is a disgusting combination. Beef
> barley soup gets mushrooms, has to have mushrooms in fact or don't
> bother. Beef barley 'shroom soup actually requires very few
> ingredients... one of the easiest soups to prepare... this is not a
> soup to clean out your larder... don't add whatever extraneous items
> that come to mind or you'll end up with pig slop, literally.
>
> Sheldon

Thanks for "most" of your reply....smile.... We like shredded cabbage
in our turkey soup and even though I was trying to follow the recipe
accurately, the tomato issue made me think to add the cabbage to
hopefully diminish the tomato overdose. I added some extra beef broth
too, and it helped. I now have in my pantry a good selection of tomato
products for future use. It'll be a while before I make this again,
since there are only two of us and I have enough in the freezer for four
more meals.
...........Sharon