Old 14-01-2007, 05:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dried Limes

I first saw cooked dried limes in a spinach dish at a Persian restaurant.
They were great. So I got a large bag of aging limes at a cheap produce shop
for $1. Left them in a warm dry spot for a few months until completely dry.
Made a thick ham and bean soup with a few cut up dried limes thrown in.
After a few hours of cooking the peels get tender. This added wonderful tart
bits of flavor to the soup. I highly recommend in bean dishes. If you see a
bag of old limes in the discount bin, be sure to dry and try.

-Kent

Old 14-01-2007, 06:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , "Kent_Diego"
wrote:

I first saw cooked dried limes in a spinach dish at a Persian restaurant.
They were great. So I got a large bag of aging limes at a cheap produce shop
for $1. Left them in a warm dry spot for a few months until completely dry.
Made a thick ham and bean soup with a few cut up dried limes thrown in.
After a few hours of cooking the peels get tender. This added wonderful tart
bits of flavor to the soup. I highly recommend in bean dishes. If you see a
bag of old limes in the discount bin, be sure to dry and try.

Well, why not! I have to buy them apiece, but unused ones turn as hard
as rocks. I never considered that they might be tasty in a bean soup
after a couple of months. I'll await other comments.

leo

--
http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/
Old 14-01-2007, 07:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 22:45:18 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
wrote:

In article , "Kent_Diego"
wrote:

I first saw cooked dried limes in a spinach dish at a Persian restaurant.
They were great. So I got a large bag of aging limes at a cheap produce shop
for $1. Left them in a warm dry spot for a few months until completely dry.
Made a thick ham and bean soup with a few cut up dried limes thrown in.
After a few hours of cooking the peels get tender. This added wonderful tart
bits of flavor to the soup. I highly recommend in bean dishes. If you see a
bag of old limes in the discount bin, be sure to dry and try.

Well, why not! I have to buy them apiece, but unused ones turn as hard
as rocks. I never considered that they might be tasty in a bean soup
after a couple of months. I'll await other comments.

when you see they are past the point of using fresh, slice them and
then dry them in the oven.... slowly

--
See return address to reply by email
Old 14-01-2007, 08:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

when you see they are past the point of using fresh, slice them and
then dry them in the oven.... slowly

The slicing (or dicing) and drying in oven sounds practical. I tried slowly
drying whole limes in oven and it took days due to the peel holding in all
the moisture. The Persian restaurant I first saw these had them whole.
So what other dishes go well with cooked dried limes? I imagine only dishes
that have long cooking times unless the limes are boiled separately and
added when soft.

Old 14-01-2007, 08:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:20:33 -0800, "Kent_Diego" wrote:

when you see they are past the point of using fresh, slice them and
then dry them in the oven.... slowly

The slicing (or dicing) and drying in oven sounds practical. I tried slowly
drying whole limes in oven and it took days due to the peel holding in all
the moisture. The Persian restaurant I first saw these had them whole.
So what other dishes go well with cooked dried limes? I imagine only dishes
that have long cooking times unless the limes are boiled separately and
added when soft.

I have a Persian store not too terribly far from me where I buy dried
limes. I have a lime tree, but the time and energy expense involved
in drying them (whole, as they are purchased in the store) is far more
than I want to invest.

TammyM

Old 14-01-2007, 09:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Hello, Steve!
You wrote on Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:25:10 GMT:

?? I first saw cooked dried limes in a spinach dish at a
?? Persian restaurant. They were great. So I got a large bag
?? of aging limes at a cheap produce shop for $1. Left them
?? in a warm dry spot for a few months until completely dry.
?? Made a thick ham and bean soup with a few cut up dried
?? limes thrown in. After a few hours of cooking the peels
?? get tender. This added wonderful tart bits of flavor to
?? the soup. I highly recommend in bean dishes. If you see a
?? bag of old limes in the discount bin, be sure to dry and
?? try.

SW Limes are so cheap (6-10 for $1, or key limes 12 for $1)
SW that you shouldn't have to wait until they they're almost
SW rotten.

Why not buy dried limes in a Persian or Middle-Eastern market if
you can find one? Limes can be as cheap as you say but they
weren't this week!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Old 14-01-2007, 09:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:56:15 -0800, "Kent_Diego" wrote:

I first saw cooked dried limes in a spinach dish at a Persian restaurant.
They were great. So I got a large bag of aging limes at a cheap produce shop
for $1. Left them in a warm dry spot for a few months until completely dry.
Made a thick ham and bean soup with a few cut up dried limes thrown in.
After a few hours of cooking the peels get tender. This added wonderful tart
bits of flavor to the soup. I highly recommend in bean dishes. If you see a
bag of old limes in the discount bin, be sure to dry and try.

-Kent

Wow!!! what a great idea. I always hated throwing the aging ones away,
seemed like such a waste.

Thank you,

Koko
A Yuman being on the net
(posting from San Diego)
Old 14-01-2007, 11:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Koko wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:56:15 -0800, "Kent_Diego" wrote:
I first saw cooked dried limes in a spinach dish at a Persian restaurant.
They were great. So I got a large bag of aging limes at a cheap produce shop
for $1. Left them in a warm dry spot for a few months until completely dry.
Made a thick ham and bean soup with a few cut up dried limes thrown in.
After a few hours of cooking the peels get tender. This added wonderful tart
bits of flavor to the soup. I highly recommend in bean dishes. If you see a
bag of old limes in the discount bin, be sure to dry and try.

Wow!!! what a great idea. I always hated throwing the aging ones away,
seemed like such a waste.

I recommend washing before drying.

Limes can mold.

--Blair

Dried Limes ImStillMags General Cooking 5 05-06-2010 03:55 AM
Limes Dimitri General Cooking 1 11-01-2010 09:33 PM
limes Ms. Velveeta General Cooking 6 23-07-2007 06:53 AM
Have any of you dried freezing cooked dried beans? Marc[_4_] General Cooking 11 20-03-2007 12:48 AM
Using Key Limes (6) Collection Web Surfer Recipes (moderated) 0 11-05-2004 01:20 PM