Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dried Limes

I first saw cooked dried limes in a spinach dish at a Persian restaurant.
They were great. So I got a large bag of aging limes at a cheap produce shop
for $1. Left them in a warm dry spot for a few months until completely dry.
Made a thick ham and bean soup with a few cut up dried limes thrown in.
After a few hours of cooking the peels get tender. This added wonderful tart
bits of flavor to the soup. I highly recommend in bean dishes. If you see a
bag of old limes in the discount bin, be sure to dry and try.

-Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Kent_Diego" >
wrote:

> I first saw cooked dried limes in a spinach dish at a Persian restaurant.
> They were great. So I got a large bag of aging limes at a cheap produce shop
> for $1. Left them in a warm dry spot for a few months until completely dry.
> Made a thick ham and bean soup with a few cut up dried limes thrown in.
> After a few hours of cooking the peels get tender. This added wonderful tart
> bits of flavor to the soup. I highly recommend in bean dishes. If you see a
> bag of old limes in the discount bin, be sure to dry and try.

Well, why not! I have to buy them apiece, but unused ones turn as hard
as rocks. I never considered that they might be tasty in a bean soup
after a couple of months. I'll await other comments.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 22:45:18 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >, "Kent_Diego" >
>wrote:
>
>> I first saw cooked dried limes in a spinach dish at a Persian restaurant.
>> They were great. So I got a large bag of aging limes at a cheap produce shop
>> for $1. Left them in a warm dry spot for a few months until completely dry.
>> Made a thick ham and bean soup with a few cut up dried limes thrown in.
>> After a few hours of cooking the peels get tender. This added wonderful tart
>> bits of flavor to the soup. I highly recommend in bean dishes. If you see a
>> bag of old limes in the discount bin, be sure to dry and try.

>Well, why not! I have to buy them apiece, but unused ones turn as hard
>as rocks. I never considered that they might be tasty in a bean soup
>after a couple of months. I'll await other comments.

when you see they are past the point of using fresh, slice them and
then dry them in the oven.... slowly

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> when you see they are past the point of using fresh, slice them and
> then dry them in the oven.... slowly

The slicing (or dicing) and drying in oven sounds practical. I tried slowly
drying whole limes in oven and it took days due to the peel holding in all
the moisture. The Persian restaurant I first saw these had them whole.
So what other dishes go well with cooked dried limes? I imagine only dishes
that have long cooking times unless the limes are boiled separately and
added when soft.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:20:33 -0800, "Kent_Diego" > wrote:

>> when you see they are past the point of using fresh, slice them and
>> then dry them in the oven.... slowly
>>

>The slicing (or dicing) and drying in oven sounds practical. I tried slowly
>drying whole limes in oven and it took days due to the peel holding in all
>the moisture. The Persian restaurant I first saw these had them whole.
>So what other dishes go well with cooked dried limes? I imagine only dishes
>that have long cooking times unless the limes are boiled separately and
>added when soft.

I have a Persian store not too terribly far from me where I buy dried
limes. I have a lime tree, but the time and energy expense involved
in drying them (whole, as they are purchased in the store) is far more
than I want to invest.

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hello, Steve!
You wrote on Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:25:10 GMT:

??>> I first saw cooked dried limes in a spinach dish at a
??>> Persian restaurant. They were great. So I got a large bag
??>> of aging limes at a cheap produce shop for $1. Left them
??>> in a warm dry spot for a few months until completely dry.
??>> Made a thick ham and bean soup with a few cut up dried
??>> limes thrown in. After a few hours of cooking the peels
??>> get tender. This added wonderful tart bits of flavor to
??>> the soup. I highly recommend in bean dishes. If you see a
??>> bag of old limes in the discount bin, be sure to dry and
??>> try.

SW> Limes are so cheap (6-10 for $1, or key limes 12 for $1)
SW> that you shouldn't have to wait until they they're almost
SW> rotten.

Why not buy dried limes in a Persian or Middle-Eastern market if
you can find one? Limes can be as cheap as you say but they
weren't this week!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:56:15 -0800, "Kent_Diego" > wrote:

>I first saw cooked dried limes in a spinach dish at a Persian restaurant.
>They were great. So I got a large bag of aging limes at a cheap produce shop
>for $1. Left them in a warm dry spot for a few months until completely dry.
>Made a thick ham and bean soup with a few cut up dried limes thrown in.
>After a few hours of cooking the peels get tender. This added wonderful tart
>bits of flavor to the soup. I highly recommend in bean dishes. If you see a
>bag of old limes in the discount bin, be sure to dry and try.
>
>-Kent

Wow!!! what a great idea. I always hated throwing the aging ones away,
seemed like such a waste.

Thank you,

Koko
A Yuman being on the net
(posting from San Diego)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Koko > wrote:
>On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:56:15 -0800, "Kent_Diego" > wrote:
>>I first saw cooked dried limes in a spinach dish at a Persian restaurant.
>>They were great. So I got a large bag of aging limes at a cheap produce shop
>>for $1. Left them in a warm dry spot for a few months until completely dry.
>>Made a thick ham and bean soup with a few cut up dried limes thrown in.
>>After a few hours of cooking the peels get tender. This added wonderful tart
>>bits of flavor to the soup. I highly recommend in bean dishes. If you see a
>>bag of old limes in the discount bin, be sure to dry and try.

>Wow!!! what a great idea. I always hated throwing the aging ones away,
>seemed like such a waste.

I recommend washing before drying.

Limes can mold.

--Blair

Dried Limes ImStillMags General Cooking 5 05-06-2010 03:55 AM
Limes Dimitri General Cooking 1 11-01-2010 10:33 PM
limes Ms. Velveeta General Cooking 6 23-07-2007 06:53 AM
Have any of you dried freezing cooked dried beans? Marc[_4_] General Cooking 11 20-03-2007 01:48 AM
Using Key Limes (6) Collection Web Surfer Recipes (moderated) 0 11-05-2004 01:20 PM