Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Home made Ginger Ale

I've not tried it yet, but this is an interesting link:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser...er_Ale_Ag0.htm
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> I've not tried it yet, but this is an interesting link:

I got this directly from a Ming Tsai TV program some time back.

Clean the skin off enough ginger knobs to make one cup. That appears to
me to be a small hand of ginger or two big fingers. Cut the ginger
across the grain into quarter inch thick rounds until you have a cupful.
Whether you're using a dry or liquid cup doesn't matter.
Then the recipe is:

One cup of water
One cup of white sugar
One cup of ginger

Simmer them all together until the concoction is reduced by half. Remove
the ginger and refrigerate the remainder. You should have nearly or
slightly over a cup.

When you're ready to serve:

Measure two tablespoons of your cup of ginger concentrate into a sixteen
ounce glass.
Add enough ice cubes to fill the glass.
Pour in enough club soda (soda water) to fill the glass.
Stir with a long spoon.
(optional) squeeze a half a lime into the drink. I think you're nuts if
you don't.

If the proportions don't work for you, it's because the amount of the
concentrate is too little or too much. If it's too little, it'll be a
bit insipid. If it's too much, it'll be ginger hot. So adjust the
concentrate till right if needed.
Ming Tsai made some sort of candy from the ginger rounds after using
them for the ginger ale. I actually tried that. They were so hot and
spicy they made me weep. Real men don't cry.
The recipe is excellent.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Leonard Blaisdell > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > I've not tried it yet, but this is an interesting link:

> I got this directly from a Ming Tsai TV program some time back.
>
> Clean the skin off enough ginger knobs to make one cup. That appears to
> me to be a small hand of ginger or two big fingers. Cut the ginger
> across the grain into quarter inch thick rounds until you have a cupful.
> Whether you're using a dry or liquid cup doesn't matter.
> Then the recipe is:
>
> One cup of water
> One cup of white sugar
> One cup of ginger
>
> Simmer them all together until the concoction is reduced by half. Remove
> the ginger and refrigerate the remainder. You should have nearly or
> slightly over a cup.
>
> When you're ready to serve:
>
> Measure two tablespoons of your cup of ginger concentrate into a sixteen
> ounce glass.
> Add enough ice cubes to fill the glass.
> Pour in enough club soda (soda water) to fill the glass.
> Stir with a long spoon.
> (optional) squeeze a half a lime into the drink. I think you're nuts if
> you don't.
>
> If the proportions don't work for you, it's because the amount of the
> concentrate is too little or too much. If it's too little, it'll be a
> bit insipid. If it's too much, it'll be ginger hot. So adjust the
> concentrate till right if needed.
> Ming Tsai made some sort of candy from the ginger rounds after using
> them for the ginger ale. I actually tried that. They were so hot and
> spicy they made me weep. Real men don't cry.
> The recipe is excellent.
>
> leo

Sounds a lot simpler...

Another way to carbonate it is to put it into a soda charger.
Slap in a CO2 cartridge, then go from there.

I actually have one of those.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Omelet wrote:

> I've not tried it yet, but this is an interesting link:
>
> http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser...er_Ale_Ag0.htm

I'm a big fan of Professor Fankhauser. I especially like his cheese
recipes. For all you cheesemakers out there, check em out.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...
> I've not tried it yet, but this is an interesting link:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser...er_Ale_Ag0.htm

Get some champagne yeast from your local brewing supply store and use
that instead of the baker's yeast. You'll get better flavor, finer
carbonation, and the yeast usually settles out better.

There are also ginger beer concentrates/extracts available that will
save some time and messiness. Some are natural, some have additives
that you may or may not care for. The brewing supply folks should be
able to help you with this as well.

The part about using the plastic bottles is good advice. Sparkling wine
bottles can work, but other glass bottles, including returnable beer
bottles, can be really dangerous.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
yetanotherBob > wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> > I've not tried it yet, but this is an interesting link:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser...er_Ale_Ag0.htm

> Get some champagne yeast from your local brewing supply store and use
> that instead of the baker's yeast. You'll get better flavor, finer
> carbonation, and the yeast usually settles out better.

My brother in Law made the most heavenly honey mead using champagne
yeast, so I believe you. :-)

> There are also ginger beer concentrates/extracts available that will
> save some time and messiness. Some are natural, some have additives
> that you may or may not care for. The brewing supply folks should be
> able to help you with this as well.
>
> The part about using the plastic bottles is good advice. Sparkling wine
> bottles can work, but other glass bottles, including returnable beer
> bottles, can be really dangerous.
>
> Bob

And then there are seltzer bottles as a quick cheat,
but it does not sound the same!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Steve Wertz" > schreef in bericht
> On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 16:07:42 GMT, Reg wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>
>>> I've not tried it yet, but this is an interesting link:
>>>
>>> http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser...er_Ale_Ag0.htm

>> I'm a big fan of Professor Fankhauser. I especially like his cheese
>> recipes. For all you cheesemakers out there, check em out.

> Yep - I use his site regularly. He's the Gernot of Dairy.

LOL. I agree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Can be done as an alcohol-content beverage as well...
I've done it with baker's yeast and achieved some of the most impressive
headaches ever...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <7KUqh.674245$R63.120580@pd7urf1no>,
"~xy~" > wrote:

> Can be done as an alcohol-content beverage as well...
> I've done it with baker's yeast and achieved some of the most impressive
> headaches ever...

Recipe? :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

What exactly is 'home made'? A Moose in Love General Cooking 51 02-03-2014 11:23 PM
Slow-roasted Duck with Sage, Ginger and Rhubarb Home-made Sauce david buzanko Recipes (moderated) 0 18-09-2007 07:20 PM
Home Made Pop? Gregor Winemaking 11 06-02-2005 03:47 AM
Home Made Bratwurst Coyote Jack Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 12:55 PM