Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Default My Favorite Cheese

Hi:

My favorite cheese is bleu Swiss cheese. There is no bacteria involved.
The only microbes involved in the making of *my* bleu Swiss cheese are
molds that make the cheese bleu. This cheese is pure protein. No carb,
no fat, no minerals, no vitamins other than vitamin K, no nothing other
than proteins. 100% pure proteins with some vitamin K. The cheese is
making using molds. I call it bleu Swiss cheese because the process
caused holes in the cheese. Believe or not, this cheese of mine does
not have the foul odors associated with most cheeses. In addition,
there is no lactic acid in this cheese.

Swiss cheese nicely veined with blue molds.

Goes excellent for those protein-loaders.

Best,

Radium

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Radium wrote:

> Hi:
>
> My favorite cheese is bleu Swiss cheese. There is no bacteria involved.

That's nice. What is wrong with bacteria?
We need bacteria to help us digest our food. If we get sick or
take antibiotics to kill infection we have digestive problems
until we can rebuild the bacteria flora in our intestines.
Natural yoghurt is a good way to do that, and keffir is even
better.

> The only microbes involved in the making of *my* bleu Swiss cheese are
> molds that make the cheese bleu.

You say that as if you think it is some sort of revelation to us
that it is mold that makes cheese "bleu".

> This cheese is pure protein. No carb, no fat,

Don't bet the house on that one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Radium wrote:
>>
>> Hi:
>>
>> My favorite cheese is bleu Swiss cheese. There is no bacteria
>> involved.

> That's nice. What is wrong with bacteria?
> We need bacteria to help us digest our food. If we get sick or
> take antibiotics to kill infection we have digestive problems
> until we can rebuild the bacteria flora in our intestines.
> Natural yoghurt is a good way to do that, and keffir is even
> better.

Dave, don't bother. This is the "kakaa" man. He's terrified of his own
poop and probably terrified of women, too. It's not worth bothering with
his cross-posting ass - oooh, wait, there might be kakaa on his ass!
(laughing) What a loser. I'm thinking there must still be a college on
break somewhere for these critters to come crawling out of the woodwork this
time of year.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Dave Smith wrote:
> What is wrong with bacteria?

Nothing wrong with bacteria. Its just they aren't used to make my Swiss
bleu cheese

> We need bacteria to help us digest our food. If we get sick or
> take antibiotics to kill infection we have digestive problems
> until we can rebuild the bacteria flora in our intestines.

Exactly. Thats why I never take anti-biotics even if they are
recommended.

> Natural yoghurt is a good way to do that, and keffir is even
> better.

My favorite bacterial product is "bad butter"

Here is the link which describes how my "bad butter" is made:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.fo...111377c?hl=en&

Delicious. Ain't it?

> Don't bet the house on that one.

My Swiss bleu cheese is definitely 100% pure protein. It comes in
slices, not in slabs.

What could be more protein-rich than a slice of my Swiss bleu cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

(1) My favorite cheese is Swiss on Ham sandwiches.
(2) My favorite cheese is Brie when making Baked Brie.
(3) My favorite cheese is Feta when crumbled on a salad.
(4) My favorite cheese is Mozarella when on a pizza or in antipasto.
(5) My favorite cheese is Havarti when in a grilled cheese sandwich.
(6) My favorite cheese is Roquefort when in a salad dressing.
(7) My favorite cheese is American when I'm being a kid with my
grandkids.
(8) My favorite cheese is Gruyere when melting cheeses in fondue.
(9) My favorite cheese is Monterey Jack when making chili rellenos.

This question reminds me of last night's "favorite spice" question. . .
It all depends on where it is being used. Used wrongly, and it's a
disaster, but used in the right place, or with the right wine, and it
becomes magical.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 19:04:16 -0500, Dave Smith >
wrote:

|Radium wrote:
|>
|> Hi:
|>
|> My favorite cheese is bleu Swiss cheese. There is no bacteria involved.
|
|That's nice. What is wrong with bacteria?

Nothing I eat them at least every week in Yoghurt.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> (1) My favorite cheese is Swiss on Ham sandwiches.
> (2) My favorite cheese is Brie when making Baked Brie.
> (3) My favorite cheese is Feta when crumbled on a salad.
> (4) My favorite cheese is Mozarella when on a pizza or in antipasto.
> (5) My favorite cheese is Havarti when in a grilled cheese sandwich.
> (6) My favorite cheese is Roquefort when in a salad dressing.
> (7) My favorite cheese is American when I'm being a kid with my
> grandkids.
> (8) My favorite cheese is Gruyere when melting cheeses in fondue.
> (9) My favorite cheese is Monterey Jack when making chili rellenos.
>
> This question reminds me of last night's "favorite spice" question. . .
> It all depends on where it is being used. Used wrongly, and it's a
> disaster, but used in the right place, or with the right wine, and it
> becomes magical.
>
> Myrl Jeffcoat
> http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

No.7...

"> (7) My favourite cheese is American when I'm being a kid with my
> grandkids."

Surely you must mean a 'Cheddar' Tasty Cheese here ?...Is that correct ?..
Americans aren't the only makers of this cheese !!.. The rest of the world
also make it .and probably much better than 'the USA !!

--
Bigbazza (Barry)..(The Boy from Oz)

(PS..This is for Joan F (MI).. benefit..Not waiting two weeks to answer this
one ) :-)) )

--
Bigbazza (Barry)..(The Boy from Oz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "jmcquown" >
> :
>
>> Dave, don't bother. This is the "kakaa" man. He's terrified of his
>> own poop and probably terrified of women, too. It's not worth
>> bothering with his cross-posting ass - oooh, wait, there might be
>> kakaa on his ass! (laughing) What a loser. I'm thinking there must
>> still be a college on break somewhere for these critters to come
>> crawling out of the woodwork this time of year.
>>
>> Jill

> I don't know the original poster. I don't see threads that are cross
> posted. Have 'em kfd. Anyway, I don't think there is a cheese I don't like,
> bacteria or not. Well, except the low/fat free glop. Like soup and
> cabbage, cheese is one of my favorite foods. Unfortunately I have to eat it
> in small portions these days.
>
> Michael

I bought some brand of brie at walmart that was awful...tasted like
Hickory Farms stuff...was just terrible.

--
The Doctor: And I'm looking for a blonde in a Union Jack. A specific
one, mind you, I didn't just wake up this morning with a craving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Bigbazza wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> (1) My favorite cheese is Swiss on Ham sandwiches.
>> (2) My favorite cheese is Brie when making Baked Brie.
>> (3) My favorite cheese is Feta when crumbled on a salad.
>> (4) My favorite cheese is Mozarella when on a pizza or in antipasto.
>> (5) My favorite cheese is Havarti when in a grilled cheese sandwich.
>> (6) My favorite cheese is Roquefort when in a salad dressing.
>> (7) My favorite cheese is American when I'm being a kid with my
>> grandkids.
>> (8) My favorite cheese is Gruyere when melting cheeses in fondue.
>> (9) My favorite cheese is Monterey Jack when making chili rellenos.
>>
>> This question reminds me of last night's "favorite spice" question. . .
>> It all depends on where it is being used. Used wrongly, and it's a
>> disaster, but used in the right place, or with the right wine, and it
>> becomes magical.
>>
>> Myrl Jeffcoat
>> http://www.myrljeffcoat.com
>>

> No.7...
>
> "> (7) My favourite cheese is American when I'm being a kid with my
>> grandkids."

> Surely you must mean a 'Cheddar' Tasty Cheese here ?...Is that correct ?..
> Americans aren't the only makers of this cheese !!.. The rest of the world
> also make it .and probably much better than 'the USA !!

No...that's not what he meant.

--
The Doctor: And I'm looking for a blonde in a Union Jack. A specific
one, mind you, I didn't just wake up this morning with a craving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

"Bigbazza" > wrote in message

> Surely you must mean a 'Cheddar' Tasty Cheese here ?...Is that correct ?..
> Americans aren't the only makers of this cheese !!.. The rest of the world
> also make it .and probably much better than 'the USA !!

Surely you must you don't know what American processed cheese is. No, it is
not cheddar, although we do have some good ones here. Do a Google search on
"processed cheese" and you will see the difference and know why anyone that
truly likes cheese does not bother with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

> wrote:

> (1) My favorite cheese is Swiss on Ham sandwiches.

Erm, which one? Appenzeller or Emmenthaler, I would guess?

> (9) My favorite cheese is Monterey Jack when making chili rellenos.

Not familiar with these, what are rellenos?

> It all depends on where it is being used. Used wrongly, and it's a
> disaster, but used in the right place, or with the right wine, and it
> becomes magical.

Absolutely.

Greg

--

Here's a truck stop instead of St Peter's

No ficus = no spam
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

> wrote

> (9) My favorite cheese is Monterey Jack when making chili rellenos.

*Sheer coincidence*, I just got back from looking up Colby cheese,
I have a mac n cheese recipe that calls for it. In the store, the only
Colby I saw was labeled Colby Jack.

Are those the same?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Bigbazza wrote:

> Surely you must mean a 'Cheddar' Tasty Cheese here ?...Is that correct ?..
> Americans aren't the only makers of this cheese !!.. The rest of the world
> also make it .and probably much better than 'the USA !!

As much as I like Cheddar Cheese, when the grandkids are here, they
like American, so that's what I use on grilled cheese sandwiches.

The delight comes from sharing the sandwiches with the children. . .
Even though I realize that American Cheese is absolutely the lowest
thing on the "cheese" food chain;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Chili Rellenos are a Mexican dish. . .Here's a recipe from
www.cooks.com

CHILIES RELLENOS

6 Anaheim or any mild long green chili
2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
1/4 lb Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tb chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 egg
2 T milk
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup mild or hot tomato salsa

Make a slit with the tip of a paring knife in the pepper at the cap.
Place the oil in a deep saucepan and heat to a temperature of 375F.

Have a bowl of ice water handy.

Fry the peppers a few at a time for about 1 minute, or until the skin
is blistered all over. Remove with tongs, and plunge into the ice
water.

Repeat until all peppers are fried.

When cool enough to handle, gently rub off the skin.

Cut a slit in one side of the pepper, and remove the seeds, keeping the
pepper whole. Set aside, reserving the oil.

In a bowl, mix together the mozzarella, Monterey Jack, garlic, thyme,
oregano, cilantro, salt and pepper.

Gently stuff the mixture into the peppers, securing them with
toothpicks.

Chill for 30 minutes.

Beat the egg with the milk.

Roll the peppers in the mixture, and then roll in cornmeal.

Heat the reserved oil to 375F.

Fry the peppers for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown.

As you fry, be careful not to crowd the pan. Remove the peppers from
the pan with tongs, drain on paper towels, and repeat until all peppers
are fried.

Serve immediately, accompanied by salsa, if desired.

Serves 6.

Note: The peppers can be prepared up to the point of being dredged in
cornmeal and fried up to two days in advance and refrigerated, tightly
covered with plastic wrap.

Dredge with cornmeal and fry just prior to serving.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Bigbazza wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> (1) My favorite cheese is Swiss on Ham sandwiches.
>> (2) My favorite cheese is Brie when making Baked Brie.
>> (3) My favorite cheese is Feta when crumbled on a salad.
>> (4) My favorite cheese is Mozarella when on a pizza or in antipasto.
>> (5) My favorite cheese is Havarti when in a grilled cheese sandwich.
>> (6) My favorite cheese is Roquefort when in a salad dressing.
>> (7) My favorite cheese is American when I'm being a kid with my
>> grandkids.
>> (8) My favorite cheese is Gruyere when melting cheeses in fondue.
>> (9) My favorite cheese is Monterey Jack when making chili rellenos.
>>
>> This question reminds me of last night's "favorite spice" question. . .
>> It all depends on where it is being used. Used wrongly, and it's a
>> disaster, but used in the right place, or with the right wine, and it
>> becomes magical.
>>
>> Myrl Jeffcoat
>> http://www.myrljeffcoat.com
>>

> No.7...
>
> "> (7) My favourite cheese is American when I'm being a kid with my
>> grandkids."

> Surely you must mean a 'Cheddar' Tasty Cheese here ?...Is that correct ?..
> Americans aren't the only makers of this cheese !!.. The rest of the world
> also make it .and probably much better than 'the USA !!

As a teenager, my wife got a sour stare in a Quebec grocery when she
asked for American cheese. Then the light dawned: fromage canadien, s'il
vous plait. She got that with a smile. Same stuff.

American cheese, fromage canadien, whatever, is not cheddar. Processed
cheddar, I suppose. There's gruyere that I buy in hunks and gruyere that
I don't buy wrapped with foil in portion-size wedges. Same difference.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 10:19:01 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

> wrote
>
>> (9) My favorite cheese is Monterey Jack when making chili rellenos.

>*Sheer coincidence*, I just got back from looking up Colby cheese,
>I have a mac n cheese recipe that calls for it. In the store, the only
>Colby I saw was labeled Colby Jack.
>
>Are those the same?
>
>nancy

No. Colby Jack is a mixture of Colby and Jack cheese. You just want
straight Colby. Look for Longhorn too..it sometimes goes by the name
of Colby Longhorn or Longhorn.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Gregoire Kretz wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> (1) My favorite cheese is Swiss on Ham sandwiches.

> Erm, which one? Appenzeller or Emmenthaler, I would guess?
>

>> (9) My favorite cheese is Monterey Jack when making chili rellenos.

> Not familiar with these, what are rellenos?

Chili relleno = stuffed pepper. The stuffing is cheese with or without
meat, and the pepper is then batter dipped and fried. Best with poblano
peppers, good with any.

jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Nancy Young wrote:
> > wrote
>
>> (9) My favorite cheese is Monterey Jack when making chili rellenos.

> *Sheer coincidence*, I just got back from looking up Colby cheese,
> I have a mac n cheese recipe that calls for it. In the store, the only
> Colby I saw was labeled Colby Jack.
>
> Are those the same?

Colby Jack is a mix of Colby and Monterey Jack. Not the same, but good.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote

> On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 10:19:01 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

>>*Sheer coincidence*, I just got back from looking up Colby cheese,
>>I have a mac n cheese recipe that calls for it. In the store, the only
>>Colby I saw was labeled Colby Jack.
>>
>>Are those the same?

> No. Colby Jack is a mixture of Colby and Jack cheese. You just want
> straight Colby. Look for Longhorn too..it sometimes goes by the name
> of Colby Longhorn or Longhorn.

Thank you, Chris, I thought that must be the case. I have made a
note.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:06:53 -0500, Jerry Avins > wrote:

>Gregoire Kretz wrote:

>> Not familiar with these, what are rellenos?

>Chili relleno = stuffed pepper. The stuffing is cheese with or without
>meat, and the pepper is then batter dipped and fried. Best with poblano
>peppers, good with any.
>
>jerry

Even better with Hatch chiles..
I might have some tonight..I am going out to eat New Mexican tonight,
at a classic New Mexican restuarant here in Albuquerque: Sadies.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I am fast realizing why I'm not losing weight. . .I check out all of
your food ideas and recipes, and I'm perpetually hungry;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

"Jerry Avins" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> *Sheer coincidence*, I just got back from looking up Colby cheese,
>> I have a mac n cheese recipe that calls for it. In the store, the only
>> Colby I saw was labeled Colby Jack.
>>
>> Are those the same?

> Colby Jack is a mix of Colby and Monterey Jack. Not the same, but good.

I wondered since I didn't see anything labeled just Colby, and I'm
not really familiar with it so ... maybe it was a type of Jack. Not so,
thank you.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

wrote:

> (1) My favorite cheese is Swiss on Ham sandwiches.
> (2) My favorite cheese is Brie when making Baked Brie.
> (3) My favorite cheese is Feta when crumbled on a salad.
> (4) My favorite cheese is Mozarella when on a pizza or in antipasto.
> (5) My favorite cheese is Havarti when in a grilled cheese sandwich.
> (6) My favorite cheese is Roquefort when in a salad dressing.
> (7) My favorite cheese is American when I'm being a kid with my
> grandkids.
> (8) My favorite cheese is Gruyere when melting cheeses in fondue.
> (9) My favorite cheese is Monterey Jack when making chili rellenos.
>
> This question reminds me of last night's "favorite spice" question. . .
> It all depends on where it is being used. Used wrongly, and it's a
> disaster, but used in the right place, or with the right wine, and it
> becomes magical.

Sounds god to me. IMO there is no single best cheese. But I just
know, without looking at any more responses, that one or more
people will come up with some exotic cheese to impress us all.
They may well be terrific cheeses, but when someone asks their
favourite I expect, naively perhaps, that they will honestly
answer with the cheese that they buy most often.

I don't eat a lot of cheese myself. It is more of a dietary thing
than taste, thanks to a lactose problem. We almost always have
cheddar in the fridge, but also get sliced havarti or swiss for
sandwiches. I always have some type of Blue cheese, usually
Danish blue in order to beef up blue cheese dressing, or to eat
with sliced pers. We often have Oka, Edam, smoked Edam, Gouda,
and Brie. Brie is the one I have trouble resisting. If you set a
platter of cheese in front of me I am most likely to start with
the Brie, and to finish it off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Nancy Young wrote:

> >> Are those the same?

> > Colby Jack is a mix of Colby and Monterey Jack. Not the same, but good.

> I wondered since I didn't see anything labeled just Colby, and I'm
> not really familiar with it so ... maybe it was a type of Jack. Not so,
> thank you.

Never had Colby Nancy?
You haven't missed much. IMO it's only redeeming quality is that
it makes a nice gooey grilled cheese sandwich. It is basically a
semi hard very mild cheddar. It is pretty bland stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

> wrote:

> Chili Rellenos are a Mexican dish. . .Here's a recipe from
> www.cooks.com
>
> CHILIES RELLENOS

[snip]

Thanks a lot, looks great.

Greg
--

Here's a truck stop instead of St Peter's

No ficus = no spam
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Jerry Avins > wrote:

> Gregoire Kretz wrote:
>
> > Not familiar with these, what are rellenos?

> Chili relleno = stuffed pepper. The stuffing is cheese with or without
> meat, and the pepper is then batter dipped and fried. Best with poblano
> peppers, good with any.

Thanks for the tip!

Greg

--

Here's a truck stop instead of St Peter's

No ficus = no spam
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Colby Jack is a mix of Colby and Monterey Jack. Not the same, but good.

>> I wondered since I didn't see anything labeled just Colby, and I'm
>> not really familiar with it so ... maybe it was a type of Jack. Not so,
>> thank you.

> Never had Colby Nancy?
> You haven't missed much. IMO it's only redeeming quality is that
> it makes a nice gooey grilled cheese sandwich. It is basically a
> semi hard very mild cheddar. It is pretty bland stuff.

Is Colby Nancy related to Colby Jack?

I like grilled cheese sandwiches made with muenster cheese, but you need
care not yo burn a lip.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Dave Smith wrote:

> I don't eat a lot of cheese myself. It is more of a dietary thing
> than taste, thanks to a lactose problem. We almost always have
> cheddar in the fridge, but also get sliced havarti or swiss for
> sandwiches. I always have some type of Blue cheese, usually
> Danish blue in order to beef up blue cheese dressing, or to eat
> with sliced pers. We often have Oka, Edam, smoked Edam, Gouda,
> and Brie. Brie is the one I have trouble resisting. If you set a
> platter of cheese in front of me I am most likely to start with
> the Brie, and to finish it off.

If you eat only a little cheese, you can afford to nibble on manchego, a
fairly hard sheep cheese from La Mancha. Ooh! I'm salivating!

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

"Dave Smith" > wrote

>> > Colby Jack is a mix of Colby and Monterey Jack. Not the same, but good.

>> I wondered since I didn't see anything labeled just Colby, and I'm
>> not really familiar with it so ... maybe it was a type of Jack. Not so,
>> thank you.

> Never had Colby Nancy?

Probably had it, never bought it. I don't eat much cheese.
It doesn't like me.

> You haven't missed much. IMO it's only redeeming quality is that
> it makes a nice gooey grilled cheese sandwich. It is basically a
> semi hard very mild cheddar. It is pretty bland stuff.

Heh, yeah, I didn't think I'd be confusing it with blue cheese
or anything.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Jerry Avins wrote:

> > I don't eat a lot of cheese myself. It is more of a dietary thing
> > than taste, thanks to a lactose problem. We almost always have
> > cheddar in the fridge, but also get sliced havarti or swiss for
> > sandwiches. I always have some type of Blue cheese, usually
> > Danish blue in order to beef up blue cheese dressing, or to eat
> > with sliced pers. We often have Oka, Edam, smoked Edam, Gouda,
> > and Brie. Brie is the one I have trouble resisting. If you set a
> > platter of cheese in front of me I am most likely to start with
> > the Brie, and to finish it off.

> If you eat only a little cheese, you can afford to nibble on manchego, a
> fairly hard sheep cheese from La Mancha. Ooh! I'm salivating!

Yeah, I suppose I could. The problem is my wife eats a lot of
cheese. I could get a sample for myself and then she would
demolish it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Dave Smith wrote:
> Jerry Avins wrote:
>>
>>> I don't eat a lot of cheese myself. It is more of a dietary thing
>>> than taste, thanks to a lactose problem. We almost always have
>>> cheddar in the fridge, but also get sliced havarti or swiss for
>>> sandwiches. I always have some type of Blue cheese, usually
>>> Danish blue in order to beef up blue cheese dressing, or to eat
>>> with sliced pers. We often have Oka, Edam, smoked Edam, Gouda,
>>> and Brie. Brie is the one I have trouble resisting. If you set a
>>> platter of cheese in front of me I am most likely to start with
>>> the Brie, and to finish it off.

>> If you eat only a little cheese, you can afford to nibble on manchego, a
>> fairly hard sheep cheese from La Mancha. Ooh! I'm salivating!

> Yeah, I suppose I could. The problem is my wife eats a lot of
> cheese. I could get a sample for myself and then she would
> demolish it.

Wait until her birthday then.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Jerry Avins wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:

>> I don't eat a lot of cheese myself. It is more of a dietary thing
>> than taste, thanks to a lactose problem. We almost always have
>> cheddar in the fridge, but also get sliced havarti or swiss for
>> sandwiches. I always have some type of Blue cheese, usually
>> Danish blue in order to beef up blue cheese dressing, or to eat
>> with sliced pers. We often have Oka, Edam, smoked Edam, Gouda, and
>> Brie. Brie is the one I have trouble resisting. If you set a
>> platter of cheese in front of me I am most likely to start with
>> the Brie, and to finish it off.

> If you eat only a little cheese, you can afford to nibble on manchego, a
> fairly hard sheep cheese from La Mancha. Ooh! I'm salivating!
>
> Jerry

Had some of that while on vacation to houston last month. It was very good.

--
The Doctor: And I'm looking for a blonde in a Union Jack. A specific
one, mind you, I didn't just wake up this morning with a craving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

wrote:
> Chili Rellenos are a Mexican dish. . .Here's a recipe from

www.cooks.com

> CHILIES RELLENOS
>
> 6 Anaheim or any mild long green chili
> 2 cup vegetable oil
> 1/4 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
> 1/4 lb Monterey Jack cheese, grated
> 1 teaspoon minced garlic
> 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
> 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
> 2 tb chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
> 1 egg
> 2 T milk
> 1 cup yellow cornmeal
> 1 cup mild or hot tomato salsa
>
> Make a slit with the tip of a paring knife in the pepper at the cap.
> Place the oil in a deep saucepan and heat to a temperature of 375F.
>
> Have a bowl of ice water handy.
>
> Fry the peppers a few at a time for about 1 minute, or until the skin
> is blistered all over. Remove with tongs, and plunge into the ice
> water.
>
> Repeat until all peppers are fried.
>
> When cool enough to handle, gently rub off the skin.
>
> Cut a slit in one side of the pepper, and remove the seeds, keeping the
> pepper whole. Set aside, reserving the oil.
>
> In a bowl, mix together the mozzarella, Monterey Jack, garlic, thyme,
> oregano, cilantro, salt and pepper.
>
> Gently stuff the mixture into the peppers, securing them with
> toothpicks.
>
> Chill for 30 minutes.
>
> Beat the egg with the milk.
>
> Roll the peppers in the mixture, and then roll in cornmeal.
>
> Heat the reserved oil to 375F.
>
> Fry the peppers for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
>
> As you fry, be careful not to crowd the pan. Remove the peppers from
> the pan with tongs, drain on paper towels, and repeat until all peppers
> are fried.
>
> Serve immediately, accompanied by salsa, if desired.
>
> Serves 6.
>
> Note: The peppers can be prepared up to the point of being dredged in
> cornmeal and fried up to two days in advance and refrigerated, tightly
> covered with plastic wrap.
>
> Dredge with cornmeal and fry just prior to serving.

Cornmeal???

Sounds like Dixie-Mex.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Bigbazza" > wrote in message
>> Surely you must mean a 'Cheddar' Tasty Cheese here ?...Is that correct ?..
>> Americans aren't the only makers of this cheese !!.. The rest of the world
>> also make it .and probably much better than 'the USA !!
>>

> Surely you must you don't know what American processed cheese is. No, it is
> not cheddar, although we do have some good ones here. Do a Google search on
> "processed cheese" and you will see the difference and know why anyone that
> truly likes cheese does not bother with it.

Process

Process (or Pasteurized Process) cheese is made by grinding fine, and
mixing together by heating and stirring, one or more cheeses of the same or
two or more varieties, together with an added emulsifying agent, into a
homogeneous, plastic mass. However, Cream, Neufchatel, Cottage,
Creamed Cottage, Cooked, hard grating, semisoft part-skim, part-skim
spiced, and skim-milk cheeses are not used. Lactic, citric, acetic, or phos-
phoric acid or vinegar, a small amount of cream, water, salt, color, and
spices or flavoring materials may be added. The cheese may be smoked,
or it may be made from smoked cheese, or so-called liquid smoke or smoke
"flavor" may be added.

Cheese was heated and preserved in cans in Germany and Switzerland
as early as 1895. Hard, ripened Process cheese was made in Switzerland in
1911. Canned Camembert cheese from Germany was marketed in the
United States as early as 1914, and the first United States patent for
processing cheese was issued in 1916. It is estimated that at least one-third
of all cheese made in the United States, excepting the soft, unripened
cheeses, is marketed as Process cheese. American Cheddar cheese is proc-
essed in greatest quantities, but considerable quantities of other American-
type cheeses, such as Washed-curd, Colby, and Granular, and also Swiss,
Gruyere, Brick, Limburger, and others are precessed. Most of this is
manufactured in a few large plants, as small-scale production is not practical.

Considerable skill is required in selecting the cheese to be used. It is
selected on the basis of flavor, texture, body, age, acidity, and composition.
Desirable cheese flavor is obtained by using sharp, fully-cured cheese, but
cheese with minor defects such as imperfect rind, pinholes, gassiness, and
open texture, as well as some mild flavor defects can be used, as these defects
are either eliminated or minimized in processing.

Uniform composition, body, flavor and texture in the finished cheese are
obtained by using cheese from two or more vat lots (in some instances as
many as 20 or 30 vat lots) in each batch or blend. A vat lot is the cheese
made from the milk in one vat.

The cheese for each batch is cleaned, cut if the cheeses are large, and run
through a grinder into a steam-jacketed kettle or a horizontal cooker. The
other ingredients are added either as the cheese is run through the grinder
or while it is being heated.

Steam-jacketed kettles, equipped with mechanical agitators to stir the
cheese, are available in various sizes but frequently hold from 200 to 400
pounds of cheese. As much as 30 minutes is required to heat the cheese in
a large kettle.

In most large factories, horizontal cookers that hold 500 pounds or more
of cheese are used. The cookers are equipped with screw-type propellers
to stir the cheese, and live steam injected directly into the cheese heats it
in from 3 to 5 minutes.

The cheese is heated to a temperature of at least 150 F., and usually
155 to 160, and it is held at that temperature for at least 30 seconds but
usually for about 5 minutes, the time depending on the physical character-
istics of the cheese. When long, thin strings of hot cheese can be drawn
from the batch with a spatula and the cheese is smooth, homogeneous,
glossy, and creamy, it is ready to be packaged. In most factories, it is pack-
aged automatically by machine in cartons that hold from 8 ounces to 5
pounds. The cartons usually are lined with transparent film, and they are
sealed to exclude air. The packaged cheese is cooled to room temperature;
then it is placed under refrigeration. The high temperature attained in
heating, together with the heat retained during the several hours required
to cool the cheese to room temperature, makes the cheese practically sterile;
it keeps well and does not ripen further.

Analysis: Moisture, not more than 1 percent more than the maximum
legal limit for the kind of natural cheese from which it is made, or 1 percent
more than the average of the maximum legal limits if it is made from more
than one kind; but in no case more than 43 percent (except 40 percent for
Process Washed-curd or Colby; 44 percent for Process Swiss or Gruyere; and
51 percent for Process Limburger). Fat in the solids, not less than the
minimum legal limit for the kind of natural cheese from which it is made,
or the average of the minimum legal limits if it is made from more than
one kind; but in no case less than 47 percent (except 43 percent for Process
Swiss and 45 percent for Process Gruyere).

Fruits, vegetables, or meats, or mixtures of these, may be added to Process
cheese, in which case the moisture content may be 1 percent more, and the
fat in the solids 1 percent less, than in the corresponding Process cheese.

Process Pimento cheese is made by adding at least 0.2 percent of pimentos
by weight to Process Cheddar or Cheddar-type cheese.

Analysis: Moisture, not more than 41 percent; fat in the solids, not less
than 49 percent.

From USDA Agr. Handbook No.54, Cheese Varieties and Descriptions,
George P.Sanders, issued Dec. 1953

Process Blended

Process Blended (or Pasteurized Process Blended) cheese is made in the
same way as process cheese, except that Cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese
can be used in mixtures of two or more kinds and neither emulsifier nor acid
is added. The moisture content must not be more than the average of the
maximum limits of the cheeses blended.

Fruits, vegetables, or meats are sometimes added, in which case the mois-
ture content may be 1 percent more and the fat in the solids 1 percent less
than in the corresponding Process Blended cheese.

Process Cheese Food

Process Cheese Food (or Pasteurized Process Cheese Food) is made in
the same way as Process cheese, except that certain dairy products (cream,
milk, skim milk, cheese whey, or whey albumin) or concentrates or mixtures
of any of these may be added, but at least 51 percent of the weight of the
finished cheese food must be cheese.

Analysis: Moisture, not more than 44 percent; fat, not less than 23 percent.
Fruits, vegetables, or meats are sometimes added, in which case the fat
content must be at least 22 percent.

From USDA Agr. Handbook No.54, Cheese Varieties and Descriptions,
George P.Sanders, issued Dec. 1953

Process Cheese Spread

Process Cheese Spread (or Pasteurized Process Cheese Spread) is made
in the same way as Process Cheese Food, except that it contains more mois-
ture (44 to 60 percent) and less fat (but not less than 20 percent) and must
be spreadable at a temperature of 70 F. Fruits, vegetables, or meats may
be added.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Nancy Young wrote:
> > wrote
>
>> (9) My favorite cheese is Monterey Jack when making chili rellenos.

> *Sheer coincidence*, I just got back from looking up Colby cheese,
> I have a mac n cheese recipe that calls for it. In the store, the only
> Colby I saw was labeled Colby Jack.
>
> Are those the same?
>
> nancy

Monterey

Monterey (or Jack) cheese was first made on farms in Monterey County,
Calif., about 1892, and manufacture on a factory scale was begun about
1916. The name Monterey has largely replaced Jack, except for the type
known as High-moisture Jack.

The cheese is made from pasteurized whole, partly skimmed, or skim milk.
Whole-milk Monterey is semisoft; Monterey made from partly skimmed or
skim milk (called grating-type Monterey, dry Monterey, or dry Jack) is
hard and is used for grating. High-moisture Jack is made from whole milk
by a slightly different process.

Monterey is made by a method similar to Colby, but the making process
takes less time. The curd is cooled to a temperature of about 86 F. by
running water either into the vat jacket or directly into the curd. (Colby
is cooled to about 80 by running water directly into the curd.) The curd
is salted after the whey has drained. Enough curd to make each cheese is
placed in a square of muslin; as the four corners of the cloth are pulled
together, the curd is formed as nearly round as possible; the cloth is tied
tightly with a string, and the excess cloth is spread evenly over the top of the
curd. Then the cheese is pressed either between boards or in a hoop. The
pressed cheeses are round and flat and may have indentations on one sur-
face where the cloth was tied before pressing. The sides are straight if the
cheese was pressed in a hoop and round if it was pressed between boards.
The cheeses are about 9 1/2 inches in diameter and usually weigh between 6
and 9 pounds and never more than 12.

Whole-milk Monterey contains more moisture and is softer than either
Granular or Colby. It is cured for 3 to 6 weeks at a temperature of about
60 f. and a relative humidity of 70 percent.

Grating-type Monterey is cured for at least 6 months. The cheeses may
be coated with oil containing pepper.

In making High-moisture Jack, the cured is heated to a temperature no
higher than 96 F. (which is 6 to 8 degrees lower than in making Monterey);
part of the whey is drained off, and the curd is cooled quickly to 72 F by
running water directly into the vat. It is cured at a temperature between
40 and 50 F, rather than 60 F. It contains more moisture and is softer than
whole-milk Monterey.

Analysis: Moisture, not more than 44 percent for whole-milk Monterey;
not more than 34 percent for grating-type Monterey; and not less than 44
but less than 50 percent for High-moisture Jack; fat in the solids, not less
than 50 percent for whole-milk Monterey and High-moisture Jack; not less
than 32 percent for grating-type Monterey; and salt, about 1.5 percent.

USDA Handbook No. 54, Cheese Varieties and Descriptions, 1953, Geo. F. Sanders
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Radium" > wrote:

> Best,

I like chihuahua cheese. And that's ezzackly what I'm going to have in
the bottom of tonight's bowls of chicken tortilla soup (Nancy Young's
recipe).
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "Radium" > wrote:
>
>> Best,

> I like chihuahua cheese. And that's ezzackly what I'm going to have in
> the bottom of tonight's bowls of chicken tortilla soup (Nancy Young's
> recipe).

Made with real Chihuahuas? WOW! ;-)

--
The Doctor: And I'm looking for a blonde in a Union Jack. A specific
one, mind you, I didn't just wake up this morning with a craving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ravenlynne wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article . com>,
>> "Radium" > wrote:

>> I like chihuahua cheese. And that's ezzackly what I'm going to have
>> in the bottom of tonight's bowls of chicken tortilla soup (Nancy
>> Young's recipe).

> Made with real Chihuahuas? WOW!

Oh, for Heaven's sake. You don't make sheep cheese from sheep. You
make it from sheep's milk. You don't make goat cheese from goats. You
make it from goat's milk. You don't make chihuahua cheese from
chihuahuas ... I understand it sells for a lot.

--Lia