Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 2-Alarm Chili Mix still

: I have had this for years and it is supposed to be what is actually in the
: 2 alarm packets "sorta" like Wick Fowlers. (someone measured all the
: ingredient packets I was told) It will make an ok chili for those who
: really don't know how to make chili and need/want a "shake and bake" kind
: of recipe.

: jay

: IN PACKET

: t cumin
: t oregano
: t salt
: 5T Chili Powder (pure)
: 1T Onion flakes
: 1/2t paprika
: 1/2t cayenne (or more for 3 alarm)
: 1/2t garlic pwd
: 2T masa

: NOT IN PACKET

: 8oz tomato sauce
: 1 cup water for mixing with masa
: for 2 lbs of beef

Don't you mean "ground red chile" instead of "Chili Powder (pure)"???

Chili powder already has cumin and oregano in it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chile_powder

> jay

No, no, no!!!! Jay we have had this discussion before on your gross
spelling and definition. Just cuz you are in Texas does not mean you are
right. You seem to insist it is "chili" as in the powder, as in your
pocket dictionary you referenced and yet you reference Chile Powder. Look
closely at your link!!! Two completely separate things Jay

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
. ..
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 21:23:47 -0800, Gunner wrote:
>
>> Look
>> closely at your link!!! Two completely separate things Jay

> Ok.. wrong link. Try this one.
>
> http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...earch&va=chile
>
> If this link doesn't work change the ending i to e or the e to i. Also
> the
> powder that goes in chili can be chili powder. Chili powder is whatever
> you want it to be.
>
> ..BFD..<g>
>
> jay

You used that dictionary ploy last time, Jay those boys still aren't cooks.
I do not care if you use chili to denote the spice, I just do not know of a
SW, Latin, Norteno, or Mexican cook that uses the spelling Chili for the
chile spice as you do. That matters not here, I do think you understand
that you need to tell what kind of Chili, Chilli or Chile you are using.
When you tell someone to use 5 tblspns of Chili Powder ( pure) you need to
say what specifically you are using here. It makes a bit of a difference in
the taste when using say 5 Tblspns of the common Cayenne pepper from the
typical American Spice Cabinet or 5 Tblspns of a mild American Paprika.
Personally I would stick with an Ancho or Pasilla blend for a mild to medium
and no, 5 tblspns would not be too much for 2 Lbs of meat

Here are some of my links:

http://www.theepicentre.com/Spices/chilevarieties.html
http://www.chileplants.com
http://www.g6csy.net/chile/database.html
http://newmexicanconnection.com/cata...x.php?cPath=42
http://www.recipetips.com/glossary-t...ile-pepper.asp

Just tell the man what "pure" chile blend he should use,