Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pics of my silly vegan "meat"

Seitan salami, to be precise. It really is very silly to make meat
substitutes -- you don't have to tell me that. Still, I kind of like
silly food, so it works fine for me.

Pics are at
http://pics.livejournal.com/sereneco...001s3qx?page=1

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> Seitan salami

I tried Seitan once and renamed it "satan". It tastes like the devil.
:-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Jan 2007 18:34:42 -0800, "Jocelyn De Contents"
> wrote:

>Serene wrote:
>> Seitan salami

>I tried Seitan once and renamed it "satan". It tastes like the devil.
>:-D

:-) We like it here, but then we don't hate satan any more than we hate santa claus. :-)

Serene, contemplating Seitan Claus
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> Seitan salami, to be precise. It really is very silly to make meat
> substitutes -- you don't have to tell me that. Still, I kind of like
> silly food, so it works fine for me.
>
> Pics are at
> http://pics.livejournal.com/sereneco...001s3qx?page=1

I think RFC can do without the shithouse humor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> Seitan salami, to be precise. It really is very silly to make meat
> substitutes -- you don't have to tell me that. Still, I kind of like
> silly food, so it works fine for me.
>
> Pics are at
> http://pics.livejournal.com/sereneco...001s3qx?page=1
>
> Serene

As long as it tasted good. :-)

It looks interesting.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Serene > said:

> Seitan salami, to be precise. It really is very silly to make meat
> substitutes -- you don't have to tell me that. Still, I kind of like
> silly food, so it works fine for me.
>
> Pics are at
> http://pics.livejournal.com/sereneco...001s3qx?page=1

Interesting -- the big question, though, is what did it taste like?

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 06:47:02 GMT, unge (Little
Malice) wrote:

>One time on Usenet, Serene > said:
>
>> Seitan salami, to be precise. It really is very silly to make meat
>> substitutes -- you don't have to tell me that. Still, I kind of like
>> silly food, so it works fine for me.
>>
>> Pics are at

http://pics.livejournal.com/sereneco...001s3qx?page=1

>Interesting -- the big question, though, is what did it taste like?

Like spicy seitan. :-) It's good, but we like seitan in general. It
makes good "lunchmeat", and when James fried some up, it reminded us
both of a fried-bologna kind of thing.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> Seitan salami, to be precise. It really is very silly to make meat
> substitutes -- you don't have to tell me that. Still, I kind of like
> silly food, so it works fine for me.
>
> Pics are at
> http://pics.livejournal.com/sereneco...001s3qx?page=1
>
> Serene

What did you make it from? Gluten powder? I once made seitan from
scratch using plain flour. It was too much work for too little result
for me to ever do again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 06:47:02 GMT, unge (Little
> Malice) wrote:
>
>> One time on Usenet, Serene > said:
>>
>>> Seitan salami, to be precise. It really is very silly to make meat
>>> substitutes -- you don't have to tell me that. Still, I kind of like
>>> silly food, so it works fine for me.
>>>
>>> Pics are at

http://pics.livejournal.com/sereneco...001s3qx?page=1
>> Interesting -- the big question, though, is what did it taste like?

> Like spicy seitan. :-) It's good, but we like seitan in general. It
> makes good "lunchmeat", and when James fried some up, it reminded us
> both of a fried-bologna kind of thing.

Looks quite interesting. What spices did you put in there? (I was
looking at the ingredients pic - and was just wondering)...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

I like seitan and do not fing your sausage silly. Even less silly (of
possible) if the name wasn't salami

I really like that you make this stuff yourself. I can only be prepared
seitan in brine here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:58:47 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

>Serene wrote:

>> Like spicy seitan. :-) It's good, but we like seitan in general. It
>> makes good "lunchmeat", and when James fried some up, it reminded us
>> both of a fried-bologna kind of thing.

>Looks quite interesting. What spices did you put in there? (I was
>looking at the ingredients pic - and was just wondering)...

If I remember right, it was paprika, cumin, cayenne, garlic, salt, and
black pepper.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Jan 2007 00:58:33 -0800, "
> wrote:

>Serene wrote:
>> Seitan salami, to be precise. It really is very silly to make meat
>> substitutes -- you don't have to tell me that. Still, I kind of like
>> silly food, so it works fine for me.
>>
>> Pics are at
>> http://pics.livejournal.com/sereneco...001s3qx?page=1
>>
>> Serene
>>

>What did you make it from? Gluten powder?

Yeah. Here, it's usually called "vital wheat gluten", and I buy it
from the bulk bins.

>I once made seitan from
>scratch using plain flour. It was too much work for too little result
>for me to ever do again.

I used to do it that way, too. I didn't mind the work, as it was just
part of my hippy-commune way, but these days I'd rather do it this
way. It's still MUCH cheaper than store-bought seitan, and I like it.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 15:11:29 +0100, "Jke" >
wrote:

>I like seitan and do not fing your sausage silly. Even less silly (of
>possible) if the name wasn't salami

:-)

>I really like that you make this stuff yourself. I can only be prepared
>seitan in brine here.

We get that, too, and I used to love it, but then one day I got sick
from a can of it, and I haven't been able to enjoy it since. I can eat
it, but the broth makes me a little tiny queasy.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

> We get that, too, and I used to love it, but then one day I got sick
> from a can of it, and I haven't been able to enjoy it since. I can eat
> it, but the broth makes me a little tiny queasy.

In such cases, eating other foods is usually more worthwhile

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> Seitan salami, to be precise. It really is very silly to make meat
> substitutes -- you don't have to tell me that. Still, I kind of like
> silly food, so it works fine for me.

Thanks for sharing. I don't think I'll try it, but I enjoyed reading
about it. I hope you enjoy it.

My daughter was a vegetarian for 8 years, my sister for 13. I've had a
lot of vegetarian experiences, and most have been enjoyable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 15:02:23 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> Serene > wrote:
>
>> Seitan salami, to be precise. It really is very silly to make meat
>> substitutes -- you don't have to tell me that. Still, I kind of like
>> silly food, so it works fine for me.

>Thanks for sharing. I don't think I'll try it, but I enjoyed reading
>about it. I hope you enjoy it.

It's fun. Especially fried in olive oil -- it's really reminiscent of
the trashy fried-bologna sammiches James and I had in our childhoods.

>My daughter was a vegetarian for 8 years, my sister for 13. I've had a
>lot of vegetarian experiences, and most have been enjoyable.

I've been a vegetarian most of my life, and while these days I
occasionally eat animal foods, they're not what I crave -- they're
what I eat if they're to hand and easier to grab than something veg.

Serene