Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone ever try making their own ketchup or cocktail sauce?

Hi everybody:

It was a rare, clear and cold day here in Seattle and my Dad was in town, so
we grabbed some live oysters and headed to a beach to eat them on the
half-shell. He whipped up his cocktail sauce concoction of Heinz ketchup,
prepared horseradish, Worcestershire, lemon juice and some pepper. I shucked
'em and we ate them off the tailgate of my truck.

The whitecaps were raging on Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains were
majestic and clear as can be. It was 30 degrees and the wind was blowing
like hell off the sea and we froze our asses off and had a great time. It
was a great day! I'm now old enough to understand that my parents aren't
going to be here forever and days like this I will always remember.

Afterward, we were talking about how we might make the cocktail sauce even
better. Thinking that ketchup is basically tomatoes, vinegar, and corn
sugar, I thought perhaps we could make it even better with some canned
Marzano (?) tomatoes, real vinegar and sugar, and fresh horseradish root
along with the other ingredients.

Anyway, the base the sauce is still ketchup and I would imagine that one
could make it pretty darn good at home. Anyone have experience with this?

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

X writes:
>Hi everybody:
>
>It was a rare, clear and cold day here in Seattle and my Dad was in town, so
>we grabbed some live oysters and headed to a beach to eat them on the
>half-shell. He whipped up his cocktail sauce concoction of Heinz ketchup,
>prepared horseradish, Worcestershire, lemon juice and some pepper. I shucked
>'em and we ate them off the tailgate of my truck.
>
>The whitecaps were raging on Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains were
>majestic and clear as can be. It was 30 degrees and the wind was blowing
>like hell off the sea and we froze our asses off and had a great time. It
>was a great day! I'm now old enough to understand that my parents aren't
>going to be here forever and days like this I will always remember.
>
>Afterward, we were talking about how we might make the cocktail sauce even
>better. Thinking that ketchup is basically tomatoes, vinegar, and corn
>sugar, I thought perhaps we could make it even better with some canned
>Marzano (?) tomatoes, real vinegar and sugar, and fresh horseradish root
>along with the other ingredients.
>
>Anyway, the base the sauce is still ketchup and I would imagine that one
>could make it pretty darn good at home. Anyone have experience with this?
>
>Hasta,
>Curt Nelson

funny you should ask -- I just made some ketchup because I needed some
and didn't want to go to the store

I put about 8 oz tomato sauce in a skillet, grated one clove garlic and
about 1/8 of an onion into it, added about 1 T brown sugar and 1-2 T
cider vinegar, let it simmer for 1/2 hour stirring occasionally, then let
it cool

it turned out pretty good

next time I'm going to add one clove

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
>X writes:
>>Hi everybody:
>>
>>It was a rare, clear and cold day here in Seattle and my Dad was in town, so
>>we grabbed some live oysters and headed to a beach to eat them on the
>>half-shell. He whipped up his cocktail sauce concoction of Heinz ketchup,
>>prepared horseradish, Worcestershire, lemon juice and some pepper. I shucked
>>'em and we ate them off the tailgate of my truck.
>>
>>The whitecaps were raging on Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains were
>>majestic and clear as can be. It was 30 degrees and the wind was blowing
>>like hell off the sea and we froze our asses off and had a great time. It
>>was a great day! I'm now old enough to understand that my parents aren't
>>going to be here forever and days like this I will always remember.
>>
>>Afterward, we were talking about how we might make the cocktail sauce even
>>better. Thinking that ketchup is basically tomatoes, vinegar, and corn
>>sugar, I thought perhaps we could make it even better with some canned
>>Marzano (?) tomatoes, real vinegar and sugar, and fresh horseradish root
>>along with the other ingredients.
>>
>>Anyway, the base the sauce is still ketchup and I would imagine that one
>>could make it pretty darn good at home. Anyone have experience with this?
>>
>>Hasta,
>>Curt Nelson

>funny you should ask -- I just made some ketchup because I needed some
>and didn't want to go to the store
>
>I put about 8 oz tomato sauce in a skillet, grated one clove garlic and
>about 1/8 of an onion into it, added about 1 T brown sugar and 1-2 T
>cider vinegar, let it simmer for 1/2 hour stirring occasionally, then let
>it cool
>
>it turned out pretty good
>
>next time I'm going to add one clove

actually it was probably more like 1/16 of an onion ... not a lot of
onion

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

Curt Nelson wrote:
> Hi everybody:
>
> It was a rare, clear and cold day here in Seattle and my Dad was in town, so
> we grabbed some live oysters and headed to a beach to eat them on the
> half-shell. He whipped up his cocktail sauce concoction of Heinz ketchup,
> prepared horseradish, Worcestershire, lemon juice and some pepper. I shucked
> 'em and we ate them off the tailgate of my truck.
>
> The whitecaps were raging on Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains were
> majestic and clear as can be. It was 30 degrees and the wind was blowing
> like hell off the sea and we froze our asses off and had a great time. It
> was a great day! I'm now old enough to understand that my parents aren't
> going to be here forever and days like this I will always remember.
>
> Afterward, we were talking about how we might make the cocktail sauce even
> better. Thinking that ketchup is basically tomatoes, vinegar, and corn
> sugar, I thought perhaps we could make it even better with some canned
> Marzano (?) tomatoes, real vinegar and sugar, and fresh horseradish root
> along with the other ingredients.
>
> Anyway, the base the sauce is still ketchup and I would imagine that one
> could make it pretty darn good at home. Anyone have experience with this?
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

Every gardener should make their own ketchup at least once in his life.

You start with a half a bushel of tomatoes, and a bunch of sugar, vinegar,
and expensive spice. Cook it all day long (don't forget to stir!) and you
end up with 1 1/2 pints of ketchup that's almost as good as Hunts or Heinz
ketchup from the store -- except H's is a lot smoother, and costs 1/10 of
what you spent making it yourself.

Seriously, you need to try it... once.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:

> Hi everybody:
>
> It was a rare, clear and cold day here in Seattle and my Dad was in town, so
> we grabbed some live oysters and headed to a beach to eat them on the
> half-shell. He whipped up his cocktail sauce concoction of Heinz ketchup,
> prepared horseradish, Worcestershire, lemon juice and some pepper. I shucked
> 'em and we ate them off the tailgate of my truck.
>
> The whitecaps were raging on Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains were
> majestic and clear as can be. It was 30 degrees and the wind was blowing
> like hell off the sea and we froze our asses off and had a great time. It
> was a great day! I'm now old enough to understand that my parents aren't
> going to be here forever and days like this I will always remember.
>
> Afterward, we were talking about how we might make the cocktail sauce even
> better. Thinking that ketchup is basically tomatoes, vinegar, and corn
> sugar, I thought perhaps we could make it even better with some canned
> Marzano (?) tomatoes, real vinegar and sugar, and fresh horseradish root
> along with the other ingredients.
>
> Anyway, the base the sauce is still ketchup and I would imagine that one
> could make it pretty darn good at home. Anyone have experience with this?
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

It's not uncommon for oyster bars (or seafood restaurants) to not have
any cocktail sauce in their establishments (example: Winztell's Oyster
House in Mobile, Alabama). Instead, they have the ingredients on the
table/bar for the diner to make cocktail sauce to their own taste:
ketchup, prepared horseradish, Worcestershire, and lemon slices (S&P is
a given). Heck, I can't even remember the last time I bought cocktail
sauce because I always make my own.

Sky, who sometimes misses the Redneck Riviera <G>

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob > wrote:
> Curt Nelson wrote:
> > Hi everybody:
> >
> > It was a rare, clear and cold day here in Seattle and my Dad was in
> > town, so we grabbed some live oysters and headed to a beach to eat them
> > on the half-shell. He whipped up his cocktail sauce concoction of Heinz
> > ketchup, prepared horseradish, Worcestershire, lemon juice and some
> > pepper. I shucked 'em and we ate them off the tailgate of my truck.
> > [ . . . ]
> > Anyway, the base the sauce is still ketchup and I would imagine that
> > one could make it pretty darn good at home. Anyone have experience with
> > this?

Curt, Google on 'cocktail sauce recipe'.

[ . . . ]

~Semper Fi~ www.delphiayachtsusa.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:

> Every gardener should make their own ketchup at least once in his life.
>
> You start with a half a bushel of tomatoes, and a bunch of sugar, vinegar,
> and expensive spice. Cook it all day long (don't forget to stir!) and you
> end up with 1 1/2 pints of ketchup that's almost as good as Hunts or Heinz
> ketchup from the store -- except H's is a lot smoother, and costs 1/10 of
> what you spent making it yourself.
>
> Seriously, you need to try it... once.

Lol...

I agree with this psot....

Years ago I tried and tried to make ketchup (used to can a lot). It NEVER
turned out edible, no matter what I tried. Complete waste 'o my time...

If I were making it again I'd use Tart's "recipe" up there, it sounds simple
enuf...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
> Curt Nelson wrote:
>>
>> Hi everybody:
>>
>> Afterward, we were talking about how we might make the cocktail
>> sauce even better. Thinking that ketchup is basically tomatoes,
>> vinegar, and corn sugar, I thought perhaps we could make it even
>> better with some canned Marzano (?) tomatoes, real vinegar and
>> sugar, and fresh horseradish root along with the other ingredients.
>>
>> Anyway, the base the sauce is still ketchup and I would imagine that
>> one could make it pretty darn good at home. Anyone have experience
>> with this?
>>
>> Hasta,
>> Curt Nelson

> It's not uncommon for oyster bars (or seafood restaurants) to not have
> any cocktail sauce in their establishments (example: Winztell's
> Oyster House in Mobile, Alabama). Instead, they have the ingredients
> on the table/bar for the diner to make cocktail sauce to their own
> taste: ketchup, prepared horseradish, Worcestershire, and lemon
> slices (S&P is a given). Heck, I can't even remember the last time I
> bought cocktail sauce because I always make my own.
>
> Sky, who sometimes misses the Redneck Riviera <G>

Not sure about letting people make their own (on a bar or table I can
picture some drunken fool putting their cigarette out in one of the
available ingredients). In the seafood restaurant where I worked we used
jugs of ketchup and prepared horseradish to mix it in small souffle cups to
be served with the fish/oysters/clams. It was part of the side-work as a
server. I don't recall the addition of Worcestershire sauce but I can see
that being a nice addition. We didn't add salt & pepper because the ketchup
was already salted and the prepared horseradish was peppery enough. Lemon
juice was added but very little since the seafood was served with fresh
lemon wedges and most people squeezed the lemons onto the fish/seafood
without thinking, much like people sprinkle things with salt without much
thought.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:

> Afterward, we were talking about how we might make the cocktail sauce even
> better. Thinking that ketchup is basically tomatoes, vinegar, and corn
> sugar, I thought perhaps we could make it even better with some canned
> Marzano (?) tomatoes, real vinegar and sugar, and fresh horseradish root
> along with the other ingredients.
>
> Anyway, the base the sauce is still ketchup and I would imagine that one
> could make it pretty darn good at home. Anyone have experience with this?

The easiest way to make cocktail sauce is to mix some good chilli
sauce with horseradish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

> Every gardener should make their own ketchup at least once in his life.

I made 'plum ketchup' several times, from an olde recipe.
Burnt it each and every time...

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:
> Curt Nelson wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody:
>>
>> It was a rare, clear and cold day here in Seattle and my Dad was in
>> town, so we grabbed some live oysters and headed to a beach to eat
>> them on the half-shell. He whipped up his cocktail sauce concoction of
>> Heinz ketchup, prepared horseradish, Worcestershire, lemon juice and
>> some pepper. I shucked 'em and we ate them off the tailgate of my truck.
>>
>> The whitecaps were raging on Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains
>> were majestic and clear as can be. It was 30 degrees and the wind was
>> blowing like hell off the sea and we froze our asses off and had a
>> great time. It was a great day! I'm now old enough to understand that
>> my parents aren't going to be here forever and days like this I will
>> always remember.
>>
>> Afterward, we were talking about how we might make the cocktail sauce
>> even better. Thinking that ketchup is basically tomatoes, vinegar, and
>> corn sugar, I thought perhaps we could make it even better with some
>> canned Marzano (?) tomatoes, real vinegar and sugar, and fresh
>> horseradish root along with the other ingredients.
>>
>> Anyway, the base the sauce is still ketchup and I would imagine that
>> one could make it pretty darn good at home. Anyone have experience
>> with this?
>>
>> Hasta,
>> Curt Nelson
>>

> Every gardener should make their own ketchup at least once in his life.
>
> You start with a half a bushel of tomatoes, and a bunch of sugar,
> vinegar, and expensive spice. Cook it all day long (don't forget to
> stir!) and you end up with 1 1/2 pints of ketchup that's almost as good
> as Hunts or Heinz ketchup from the store -- except H's is a lot
> smoother, and costs 1/10 of what you spent making it yourself.
>
> Seriously, you need to try it... once.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

I just use grated horseradish, Worchestershire sauce, and tomato catsup
to make cocktail sauce. Every chef down here in Louisiana pretty much
does the same thing. We just call it "red" sauce and eat it with all
kinds of sea food.

I know what you're talking about Curt. My Dad died in 1982 and I still
miss him. When I was a kid we would take the old wooden skiff with the 5
hp engine and go out into Galveston Bay and get oysters off Dad's oyster
lease. He would open them and we would squeeze lemon juice on them or
sprinkle some hot sauce. Best oysters in the world then and now. I can
still see my Dad's wry little grin as he taught me how to eat an oyster.
Same grin as teaching a boy to be a man. Always remember those moments,
they're priceless.

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Curt Nelson" <X> wrote:

> Afterward, we were talking about how we might make the cocktail sauce even
> better. Thinking that ketchup is basically tomatoes, vinegar, and corn
> sugar, I thought perhaps we could make it even better with some canned
> Marzano (?) tomatoes, real vinegar and sugar, and fresh horseradish root
> along with the other ingredients.
>
> Anyway, the base the sauce is still ketchup and I would imagine that one
> could make it pretty darn good at home. Anyone have experience with this?
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

I have made apple ketchup, Curt. Tastes like Heinz 57 Sauce. Long slow
cooking. And I have faked cocktail sauce with a little horseradish and
grated onion added to ketchup.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have an old recipe for barbecue from Cook's Magazine--old, as in about 20
years--that starts with making your own ketchup.

If you are really interested in it, I could probably dig it up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in

> The easiest way to make cocktail sauce is to mix some good
> chilli sauce with horseradish.

That sounds heavenly! Thanks for the tip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
>X writes:
>

> funny you should ask -- I just made some ketchup because I needed some
> and didn't want to go to the store
>
> I put about 8 oz tomato sauce in a skillet, grated one clove garlic and
> about 1/8 of an onion into it, added about 1 T brown sugar and 1-2 T
> cider vinegar, let it simmer for 1/2 hour stirring occasionally, then let
> it cool
>
> it turned out pretty good
>
> next time I'm going to add one clove

This is a cook with issues. I have made my own béarnaise and even the
occasional mayonnaise. But, never had I the inclination to make my own
ketchup. There's more too this than just not wanting "to go the the store."

--

Yours,
Dan S.

Your = ownership shown / You're = You are
Their = Plural ownership shown / There = Location is shown / They're = They
are

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:

> Afterward, we were talking about how we might make the cocktail sauce even
> better. Thinking that ketchup is basically tomatoes, vinegar, and corn
> sugar, I thought perhaps we could make it even better with some canned
> Marzano (?) tomatoes, real vinegar and sugar, and fresh horseradish root
> along with the other ingredients.
>
> Anyway, the base the sauce is still ketchup and I would imagine that one
> could make it pretty darn good at home. Anyone have experience with this?
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

Your recipe for cocktail sauce sounds exactly like what we used to whip
up for serving little necks on the half shell when we lived in R.I. and MA.

I have told this story here befo
We had our first garden as newlyweds and had a glut of tomatoes. We
decided to make ketchup.

We bought the spices called for in the recipe plus canning jars,some $20
worth in all. We used about a bushel of tomatoes, spent most of a day
cooking them down to the right consistency, and ended up with about 3
cups of ketchup which paled in flavor to the cheapest you could buy.

Some things are worth making at home or even trying once. Ketchup?
Never again.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I cheat, and buy commercial cocktail sauce and add in prepared
horseradish until it is hot enough to make your scalp sweat.

Curt Nelson wrote:
> Hi everybody:
>
> It was a rare, clear and cold day here in Seattle and my Dad was in town, so
> we grabbed some live oysters and headed to a beach to eat them on the
> half-shell. He whipped up his cocktail sauce concoction of Heinz ketchup,
> prepared horseradish, Worcestershire, lemon juice and some pepper. I shucked
> 'em and we ate them off the tailgate of my truck.
>
> The whitecaps were raging on Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains were
> majestic and clear as can be. It was 30 degrees and the wind was blowing
> like hell off the sea and we froze our asses off and had a great time. It
> was a great day! I'm now old enough to understand that my parents aren't
> going to be here forever and days like this I will always remember.
>
> Afterward, we were talking about how we might make the cocktail sauce even
> better. Thinking that ketchup is basically tomatoes, vinegar, and corn
> sugar, I thought perhaps we could make it even better with some canned
> Marzano (?) tomatoes, real vinegar and sugar, and fresh horseradish root
> along with the other ingredients.
>
> Anyway, the base the sauce is still ketchup and I would imagine that one
> could make it pretty darn good at home. Anyone have experience with this?
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Curt Nelson wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everybody:
>>>
>>> It was a rare, clear and cold day here in Seattle and my Dad was in
>>> town, so we grabbed some live oysters and headed to a beach to eat them
>>> on the half-shell. He whipped up his cocktail sauce concoction of Heinz
>>> ketchup, prepared horseradish, Worcestershire, lemon juice and some
>>> pepper. I shucked 'em and we ate them off the tailgate of my truck.
>>>
>>> The whitecaps were raging on Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains were
>>> majestic and clear as can be. It was 30 degrees and the wind was blowing
>>> like hell off the sea and we froze our asses off and had a great time.
>>> It was a great day! I'm now old enough to understand that my parents
>>> aren't going to be here forever and days like this I will always
>>> remember.
>>>
>>> Afterward, we were talking about how we might make the cocktail sauce
>>> even better. Thinking that ketchup is basically tomatoes, vinegar, and
>>> corn sugar, I thought perhaps we could make it even better with some
>>> canned Marzano (?) tomatoes, real vinegar and sugar, and fresh
>>> horseradish root along with the other ingredients.
>>>
>>> Anyway, the base the sauce is still ketchup and I would imagine that one
>>> could make it pretty darn good at home. Anyone have experience with
>>> this?
>>>
>>> Hasta,
>>> Curt Nelson
>>>

>> Every gardener should make their own ketchup at least once in his life.
>>
>> You start with a half a bushel of tomatoes, and a bunch of sugar,
>> vinegar, and expensive spice. Cook it all day long (don't forget to
>> stir!) and you end up with 1 1/2 pints of ketchup that's almost as good
>> as Hunts or Heinz ketchup from the store -- except H's is a lot smoother,
>> and costs 1/10 of what you spent making it yourself.
>>
>> Seriously, you need to try it... once.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bob

> I just use grated horseradish, Worchestershire sauce, and tomato catsup to
> make cocktail sauce. Every chef down here in Louisiana pretty much does
> the same thing. We just call it "red" sauce and eat it with all kinds of
> sea food.
>
> I know what you're talking about Curt. My Dad died in 1982 and I still
> miss him. When I was a kid we would take the old wooden skiff with the 5
> hp engine and go out into Galveston Bay and get oysters off Dad's oyster
> lease. He would open them and we would squeeze lemon juice on them or
> sprinkle some hot sauce. Best oysters in the world then and now. I can
> still see my Dad's wry little grin as he taught me how to eat an oyster.
> Same grin as teaching a boy to be a man. Always remember those moments,
> they're priceless.
>
> George

I stir all that stuff into some nice tart plum jam for a sweet dipping
sauce. And y'all wouldn't catch my Midwestern Dad eating oysters, and
certainly not raw, for the world. But I remember how I held his old hands
last - they were soft. And they had never been soft in my life, always
cracked and bleeding from working outdoors.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Puistonen" > wrote in message
>I have an old recipe for barbecue from Cook's Magazine--old, as in about 20
>years--that starts with making your own ketchup.
>
> If you are really interested in it, I could probably dig it up.

Do you mean Cook's Illustrated magazine? If so, I do have a subscription to
their website, which I think is one of the few sites on the planet worthy of
a subscription...

In any event, I'll do a search and see what pops up.

Thanx,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:08:01 -0800, "Curt Nelson" <X> wrote:

>Hi everybody:
>
>It was a rare, clear and cold day here in Seattle and my Dad was in town, so
>we grabbed some live oysters and headed to a beach to eat them on the
>half-shell. He whipped up his cocktail sauce concoction of Heinz ketchup,
>prepared horseradish, Worcestershire, lemon juice and some pepper. I shucked
>'em and we ate them off the tailgate of my truck.
>
>The whitecaps were raging on Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains were
>majestic and clear as can be. It was 30 degrees and the wind was blowing
>like hell off the sea and we froze our asses off and had a great time. It
>was a great day! I'm now old enough to understand that my parents aren't
>going to be here forever and days like this I will always remember.
>
>Afterward, we were talking about how we might make the cocktail sauce even
>better. Thinking that ketchup is basically tomatoes, vinegar, and corn
>sugar, I thought perhaps we could make it even better with some canned
>Marzano (?) tomatoes, real vinegar and sugar, and fresh horseradish root
>along with the other ingredients.
>
>Anyway, the base the sauce is still ketchup and I would imagine that one
>could make it pretty darn good at home. Anyone have experience with this?
>
>Hasta,
>Curt Nelson

I made ketchup this summer. The recipe is in the Ball Blue Book.
Start with 4 quarts of peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes. You end
up with 3 pints after a couple of days of cooking it down.

I have been making my own cocktail sauce for years. Here is the
recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cocktail Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sauces Seafood

2 tablespoons ketchup
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 drops Tabasco sauce -- (3 to 4)
1/4 teaspoon horseradish
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Mix
Serve chilled

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Cocktail Sauce
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Sauces Seafood

> 2 tablespoons ketchup
> 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 3 drops Tabasco sauce -- (3 to 4)
> 1/4 teaspoon horseradish
> 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
>
> Mix
> Serve chilled
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> --
> Susan N.

Not Celery Salt?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

> Curt Nelson wrote:
> > Hi everybody:
> >
> > It was a rare, clear and cold day here in Seattle and my Dad was in town, so
> > we grabbed some live oysters and headed to a beach to eat them on the
> > half-shell. He whipped up his cocktail sauce concoction of Heinz ketchup,
> > prepared horseradish, Worcestershire, lemon juice and some pepper.

Cocktail Sauce

1 cup ketchup
2 Tbs A1 Steak Sauce
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbs Horseradish Sauce, cream style
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp hot red pepper sauce
1/4 tsp salt

Mix well.

Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

Rusty wrote:

>> Curt Nelson wrote:
>>> Hi everybody:
>>>
>>> It was a rare, clear and cold day here in Seattle and my Dad was in town, so
>>> we grabbed some live oysters and headed to a beach to eat them on the
>>> half-shell. He whipped up his cocktail sauce concoction of Heinz ketchup,
>>> prepared horseradish, Worcestershire, lemon juice and some pepper.

> Cocktail Sauce
>
> 1 cup ketchup
> 2 Tbs A1 Steak Sauce
> 2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
> 2 Tbs Horseradish Sauce, cream style
> 1 tsp lemon juice
> 1/2 tsp hot red pepper sauce
> 1/4 tsp salt
>
> Mix well.
>

> Rusty

I just mix about 2 parts ketchup to 1 part prepared horseradish (from a
reasonably fresh jar). The horseradish can be cream style or regular, it
doesn't seem to make any difference.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:10:39 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

[cocktail sauce]
>I just mix about 2 parts ketchup to 1 part prepared horseradish (from a
>reasonably fresh jar). The horseradish can be cream style or regular, it
>doesn't seem to make any difference.

I do ketchup, horseradish, and a squeeze of lemon. If I'm out of
horseradish, I fake it with lemon and hot sauce. Not the same, but
hits the same buttons for me.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:38:23 -0800, Serene >
wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:10:39 -0600, zxcvbob >
>wrote:
>
>[cocktail sauce]
>>I just mix about 2 parts ketchup to 1 part prepared horseradish (from a
>>reasonably fresh jar). The horseradish can be cream style or regular, it
>>doesn't seem to make any difference.

>I do ketchup, horseradish, and a squeeze of lemon. If I'm out of
>horseradish, I fake it with lemon and hot sauce. Not the same, but
>hits the same buttons for me.

The thing I want to replicate is the tartar sauce made by virtually
all of the "Joes" Italian/seafood restaurants here in SF/Daly City.
It's different. Not in looks, but in taste.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:26:13 -0800, sf wrote:

>The thing I want to replicate is the tartar sauce made by virtually
>all of the "Joes" Italian/seafood restaurants here in SF/Daly City.
>It's different. Not in looks, but in taste.

I think I would be booed off the newsgroup if I shared my tartar sauce
recipe. ;-)

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:34:49 -0800, Serene >
wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:26:13 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>>The thing I want to replicate is the tartar sauce made by virtually
>>all of the "Joes" Italian/seafood restaurants here in SF/Daly City.
>>It's different. Not in looks, but in taste.

>I think I would be booed off the newsgroup if I shared my tartar sauce
>recipe. ;-)

You can email it to me in that case.... I hope it resembles Joes.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf replied to Serene:

>> I think I would be booed off the newsgroup if I shared my tartar sauce
>> recipe. ;-)
>>

> You can email it to me in that case.... I hope it resembles Joes.

I bet it's Miracle Whip & pickle relish. Maybe with Cheez Whiz.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:54:44 -0800, sf wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:34:49 -0800, Serene >
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:26:13 -0800, sf wrote:
>>
>>>The thing I want to replicate is the tartar sauce made by virtually
>>>all of the "Joes" Italian/seafood restaurants here in SF/Daly City.
>>>It's different. Not in looks, but in taste.

>>I think I would be booed off the newsgroup if I shared my tartar sauce
>>recipe. ;-)
>>

>You can email it to me in that case.... I hope it resembles Joes.

Oh, I seriously doubt it. We have two "secret family recipes" --
they're not really secret, it's just that people ask for them and then
fall down laughing when we tell them.

Tartar Sauce

1 part sweet pickle relish
3 parts mayonnaise

Thousand Island Dressing

1 part sweet pickle relish
1 part mayonnaise
1 part ketchup

There. The secrets are out. :-)

I'll have to try Joes sometime, though.

serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:
> Rusty wrote:

> > Cocktail Sauce
> >
> > 1 cup ketchup
> > 2 Tbs A1 Steak Sauce
> > 2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
> > 2 Tbs Horseradish Sauce, cream style
> > 1 tsp lemon juice
> > 1/2 tsp hot red pepper sauce
> > 1/4 tsp salt
> >
> > Mix well.
> >

> > Rusty
> >

> I just mix about 2 parts ketchup to 1 part prepared horseradish (from a
> reasonably fresh jar). The horseradish can be cream style or regular, it
> doesn't seem to make any difference.
>
> Bob

In New Orleans I encountered a casual bar/restaurant that had a
standard table set up with squeeze bottles of catsup, mayo (or
"mynize") and bottle each of tobasco sauce and horse radish. Little
paper cups were there for you to make your own seafood sauce, if
desired. I had never seen that before. I asked the waitress for
seafood sauce for my breaded shrimp. She said, "Here, hon. Do it this
way." and she mixed up a batch for me. Never saw that before, but
it makes sense. I wonder if I had ordered a sandwich, and asked for
mustard ....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:40:49 -0800, Serene >
wrote:

>There. The secrets are out. :-)
>
>I'll have to try Joes sometime, though.

LOLOL! Thanks anyway.