Old 06-10-2003, 11:14 PM
Peter Lampione

Default Good stock pots for boiling water on ceramic top range

Actually, my analysis is correct only under the assumption that
the surface of contact between water and pot bottom is sufficient
to allow the water to absorb all the heat from the stove.
This is true, I believe, due to the high specific heat of water,
and due to the fact that convection (hot water raising, cooler
water replacing the hot one) makes the heat transfer very
efficient.
However, if the heat transfer at the bottom surface were a
constraint to the heating rate of the water, then maybe having
all-clads would help, since the sides would also contribute to
heat transfer.

This is becoming a bit complicated just to make pasta! :-)

BTW, a quick trick, for those still reading: if you make pasta,
a quick way to pre-heat the dishes is to use them (one by one)
as lids for the pot (this presumes that the dishes are wider than
the pot; otherwise use method B below). Just dry them off
with a towel then before putting them on the table. Not
very elegant, but very effective.
Another way (method B) consists in putting a bit of the hot cooking
water in the dish, and then pouring it out and drying the dish
before putting it on the table.
This method is better also when many dishes need to be pre-heated.
Preheating pasta dishes is very nice! I never like lukewarm pasta.

All the best, and thanks for all the advice posted here,

Peter

(Peter Lampione) wrote in message . com...
[...]
2) Not all metals used for cooking are good conductors: stainless steel
is a poor conductor, while aluminum or copper are much better.
Since I want to heat the water, rather than the air around it,
the best pot would be one whose bottom is very conductive, and whose
sides are not good conductors (to keep the water inside warm, instead
of heating the air). This would call for an aluminum (or copper) bottom,
and stainless steel sides.
Pots that use good heat conductors in the sides do so for cooking
roasts or other food; for heating water, it's not only not needed,
but (very slightly) counterproductive.

[...]

Old 07-10-2003, 03:13 AM
Nancree

what, pray tell, is ally?

Kate is a Brit. Ally = aluminum (in the US).

I guess that's shy they say we're separated by a common language.
When we mean aluminum, we say aluminum.

nancy

------------------------
Unless you're in the UK, where
"aluminum" is spelled with an extra letter "i" in it, thus: "aluminium"
..
Old 07-10-2003, 03:14 AM
Kent H.

I am a big fan of Cuisinart Everyday, formerly Professional. It is
stainless, and has a copper bottom, and independent consumer mags say it
heats too hot. The current product is from Korea, and is better than the
old product from France. It can be found very competively priced.

Peter Lampione wrote:

What are the best pots for boiling water quickly over
a smooth ceramic glass top electic stove?

The pot needs to be lightweight (less mass to heat), except
that the bottom has to be flat, and as good a heat conductor
as possible.

The pots I see most often mentioned in these newsgroups
(such as All-Clad, Calphalon), are very nice and heavy weight,
and thus heat up slowly.
I have a wonderful Lagostina Irradial (4 qt), that has a
somewhat this but well made aluminum/stainless steel bottom (ready
also for induction!), and very this stainless steel walls.
However, I'd like to have one or two more, in sizes 6 and 8 qts,
and I don't seem to be able to find the Lagostinas easily (I bought
it while traveling).

What are the best stock pots for ceramic ranges, in terms of speed
of cooking?

Many thanks,

Peter

Old 07-10-2003, 03:21 AM
Nancy Young

Nancree wrote:

what, pray tell, is ally?

Kate is a Brit. Ally = aluminum (in the US).

I guess that's shy they say we're separated by a common language.
When we mean aluminum, we say aluminum.

Unless you're in the UK, where
"aluminum" is spelled with an extra letter "i" in it, thus: "aluminium"

Which is, apparently, pronounced ally.

It's aluminum or aluminium, not ally. That was the original question,
we didn't know what she was talking about.

nancy
Old 07-10-2003, 06:53 PM
Bob Pastorio

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

in article , Peter Lampione
at
wrote on 10/6/03 6:14 PM:

This is becoming a bit complicated just to make pasta! :-)

buy a big cheap enameled pot at the local hardware store. black with white
specks. usually the label has a photo of corn on the cob or lobsters. that's
all you need for cooking pasta.

This begins to feel like angels dancing on the head of a pin.

Restaurants use aluminum pots because the balance of cost measured
against performance will almost always tip it that way. I've tried
everything from the old Club Aluminum pots and pans through Farber and
Wearever and T-Fal and Kitchen-Aid, Cuisinart and All-Clad and lots of
forgotten ones plus imported others including iron and enamels and
ceramics. The differences between them wasn't worth dealing with.
Except the heavy iron ones weren't very good.

The stock pots I use at home are commercial-weight aluminum. I have
one largish pot (16 quarts) that's an old cheapie stainless pot I use
for cooking corn and the odd lobster. The reason I keep it around for
those rare moments is because it's what my mother used and it has
sentimental value - all the way from the 50's. My kids call it
"grandma's corn pot."

Sheryl, that speckled pot will work as well as any of the others. Mine
is blue with white specks. As you imply, it's all too easy to get
caught up in the crayon rather than the drawing.

Pastorio

Old 07-10-2003, 09:05 PM
Christine

snippage

The stock pots I use at home are commercial-weight aluminum. I have
one largish pot (16 quarts) that's an old cheapie stainless pot I use
for cooking corn and the odd lobster. The reason I keep it around for
those rare moments is because it's what my mother used and it has
sentimental value - all the way from the 50's. My kids call it
"grandma's corn pot."

Bob,

I know what you mean... I have an 8 quart Regal Dutch oven which I use
about once a year and am planning to replace it. However, I had to make
sure it would go to a good home as it was a gift for my late mother who
wanted it very much and we bought it for her.

My son wants it both for cooking and especially sentimental value.

Chris in Pearland, TX