Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Let's face it....

.... we are a bunch of "food snobs".

Which is a Good Thing, IMHO.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:49:32 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

>... we are a bunch of "food snobs".

I'm not.

>Which is a Good Thing, IMHO.

Not in my opinion, it's not.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> ... we are a bunch of "food snobs".
>
> Which is a Good Thing, IMHO.

Yep. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:49:32 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> > wrote:
>
> >... we are a bunch of "food snobs".

> I'm not.
>
> >Which is a Good Thing, IMHO.

> Not in my opinion, it's not.
>
> Serene

Why?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:00:29 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Serene > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:49:32 +0200, Chatty Cathy
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >... we are a bunch of "food snobs".

>> I'm not.
>>
>> >Which is a Good Thing, IMHO.

>> Not in my opinion, it's not.
>>
>> Serene

>Why?

To me, snobbery implies a disapproval of others' choices, not just an
attachment to one's own preferences.

If I prefer my food to be fresh and homemade, I don't think that makes
me a snob. If I look down on or insult people who use canned food or
like to eat dinner at the drive-through, I think that makes me a snob.
I prefer to make my own choices and respect other people's right to
make theirs, even if theirs are not choices I would make.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

> To me, snobbery implies a disapproval of others' choices, not just an
> attachment to one's own preferences.

<Cathy passes serene a can of "local" tomato soup and awaits the "gag"
reflex>

> If I prefer my food to be fresh and homemade, I don't think that makes
> me a snob. If I look down on or insult people who use canned food or
> like to eat dinner at the drive-through, I think that makes me a snob.
> I prefer to make my own choices and respect other people's right to
> make theirs, even if theirs are not choices I would make.

Sigh. Take a chill-pill, serene.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy - who hasn't bought "food" (I use the term loosely) from a
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:40:32 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

>Serene wrote:
>

>> If I prefer my food to be fresh and homemade, I don't think that makes
>> me a snob. If I look down on or insult people who use canned food or
>> like to eat dinner at the drive-through, I think that makes me a snob.
>> I prefer to make my own choices and respect other people's right to
>> make theirs, even if theirs are not choices I would make.

>Sigh. Take a chill-pill, serene.

What an odd thing to say. Om asked me why I don't think it's good to
be a food snob, and I answered. I don't know how you inferred any
non-chillness in my post. *shrug*

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> ... we are a bunch of "food snobs".
>
> Which is a Good Thing, IMHO.

I'm way too cool to be a snob.

Cam

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Chatty Cathy > said:

> .... we are a bunch of "food snobs".
>
> Which is a Good Thing, IMHO.

All joking aside, I really don't like the term "food snob" -- sounds
like people who think their better than others based on their food
choices. Just my opinion...

--
Jani in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:
> One time on Usenet, Chatty Cathy > said:
>
>> .... we are a bunch of "food snobs".
>>
>> Which is a Good Thing, IMHO.

> All joking aside, I really don't like the term "food snob" -- sounds
> like people who think their better than others based on their food
> choices. Just my opinion...

Et tu Jani?. The point I was making was this:

In years gone by I was happy with MW dinners, canned food and anything
that I could "cook" in 10 minutes. I was in a "rut". Call me the
"Convenience Food King". Hanging around here has made me realize that
eating (and cooking) as much fresh ingredients/food as possible, is not
only healthier for me and the family, but much tastier too (not to
mention a whole lot of fun).
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Chatty Cathy > said:
> Little Malice wrote:
> > One time on Usenet, Chatty Cathy > said:
> >
> >> .... we are a bunch of "food snobs".
> >>
> >> Which is a Good Thing, IMHO.

> > All joking aside, I really don't like the term "food snob" -- sounds
> > like people who think their better than others based on their food
> > choices. Just my opinion...
> >

> Et tu Jani?. The point I was making was this:
>
> In years gone by I was happy with MW dinners, canned food and anything
> that I could "cook" in 10 minutes. I was in a "rut". Call me the
> "Convenience Food King". Hanging around here has made me realize that
> eating (and cooking) as much fresh ingredients/food as possible, is not
> only healthier for me and the family, but much tastier too (not to
> mention a whole lot of fun).

Oh, I agree. I just wish there was a better term for it than "food
snob", that's all...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:
> One time on Usenet, Chatty Cathy > said:
> > Little Malice wrote:

> > > All joking aside, I really don't like the term "food snob" -- sounds
> > > like people who think their better than others based on their food
> > > choices. Just my opinion...
> > >

> > Et tu Jani?. The point I was making was this:
> >
> > In years gone by I was happy with MW dinners, canned food and anything
> > that I could "cook" in 10 minutes. I was in a "rut". Call me the
> > "Convenience Food King". Hanging around here has made me realize that
> > eating (and cooking) as much fresh ingredients/food as possible, is not
> > only healthier for me and the family, but much tastier too (not to
> > mention a whole lot of fun).

> Oh, I agree. I just wish there was a better term for it than "food
> snob", that's all...
>
> --
> Jani in WA

How about "a refined palate" or "culinarily intelligent"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:

> Oh, I agree. I just wish there was a better term for it than "food
> snob", that's all...

I'll try harder next time. Seems I "upset" a few folks with my
terminology. My Bad

But... you gotta admit, that despite the joking (and flaming) going on
around here, I (or is that me?) have learned such a lot about
cooking/ingredients etc. here, that I look forward to making my meals
every day - and so do the rest of family Thanks, guys.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> How about "a refined palate" or "culinarily intelligent"

There ya go! LOL. Good terminology
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Little Malice" > wrote in message

> Oh, I agree. I just wish there was a better term for it than "food
> snob", that's all...

Umm, ... how 'bout "food nazi"...;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> ... we are a bunch of "food snobs".
>
> Which is a Good Thing, IMHO.

Here is what I posted the last time this discussion took place.

[The term] is, however, nearly always used negatively. To me, a food
snob is someone who bases his food preferences on something unrelated to
the food's actual taste. Usually, it seems, it is something "social",
like poor/rich people's food, some perceived "gourmet" status or lack
thereof of a foodstuff, etc.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 00:06:37 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

>Et tu Jani?. The point I was making was this:
>
>In years gone by I was happy with MW dinners, canned food and anything
>that I could "cook" in 10 minutes. I was in a "rut". Call me the
>"Convenience Food King". Hanging around here has made me realize that
>eating (and cooking) as much fresh ingredients/food as possible, is not
>only healthier for me and the family, but much tastier too (not to
>mention a whole lot of fun).

That doesn't sound snobbish to me -- it sounds like you've found
something that works for you. Now, if you were criticizing people who
don't do their own cooking with fresh ingredients, that would seem
snobbish to me.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 00:23:38 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

>Little Malice wrote:
>

>> Oh, I agree. I just wish there was a better term for it than "food
>> snob", that's all...
>>

>I'll try harder next time. Seems I "upset" a few folks with my
>terminology. My Bad

Didn't upset me. I didn't notice anyone else being upset, either. Just
because people disagree with you, that doesn't mean they're upset.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> .... we are a bunch of "food snobs".
>
> Which is a Good Thing, IMHO.

One definition of "snob" is a person who makes value
decisions on the wrong criteria. The brand name instead of
the quality. The trendy thing instead of the better thing.
The elevated - in price, status or social cachet - item
rather than the truly preferred item.

I don't think there are many snobs here. I see a lot of
particular, opinionated foodies who have strong feelings
about what they'll stuff their faces with. But I don't see
that as snobbery so much as a generally intelligent
pickiness, a practiced fussiness for getting what they want.
Ready to try new things, but not junky stuff (for which
everyone has a different definition).

And who still harbor the odd guilty pleasures just because
they want to, dammit.

I rather admire folks like that even when there's
disagreement about the actual criteria and the stuff being
discussed.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

> That doesn't sound snobbish to me -- it sounds like you've found
> something that works for you. Now, if you were criticizing people who
> don't do their own cooking with fresh ingredients, that would seem
> snobbish to me.

OK. Here's the rub. Do you, or do you not use Miracle Whip?

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:49:32 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> > wrote:
>
>> ... we are a bunch of "food snobs".

> I'm not.
>
>> Which is a Good Thing, IMHO.

> Not in my opinion, it's not.
>
> Serene

I agree.

--
The Doctor: And I'm looking for a blonde in a Union Jack. A specific
one, mind you, I didn't just wake up this morning with a craving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> Little Malice wrote:
>

>> Oh, I agree. I just wish there was a better term for it than "food
>> snob", that's all...
>>

> I'll try harder next time. Seems I "upset" a few folks with my
> terminology. My Bad

I hope, for everyone, that this is the worst thing that
happens all year. It'll be a great year.

> But... you gotta admit, that despite the joking (and flaming) going on
> around here, I (or is that me?) have learned such a lot about
> cooking/ingredients etc. here, that I look forward to making my meals
> every day - and so do the rest of family Thanks, guys.

Understood. We all have learned. But we don't call people
who become more knowledgeable in some subject "snobs." We
call them educated, or more sophisticated (in a good sense),
or just more conscious. Well, now and again...

Um, regarding your question about "me have learned such a
lot," while more knowledgeable about food, cooking and the
like, qualifies you for the remedial course being offered by
Melba. Tell her Bob sent ya.

No, seriously...

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:49:32 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

>... we are a bunch of "food snobs".

>Which is a Good Thing, IMHO.

Just remember this......an ounce of pretension is worth a pound of
bull shit.

Claiming to be a "food snob" is a great predictor of your life
attitude in general. Trying to tan your nostrils is not a flattering
pose.

Us common folk enjoy food and we enjoy more than food. Too bad when
you live to eat...when we all just need to eat to live.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:

> Just remember this......an ounce of pretension is worth a pound of
> bull shit.
>
> Claiming to be a "food snob" is a great predictor of your life
> attitude in general. Trying to tan your nostrils is not a flattering
> pose.
>
> Us common folk enjoy food and we enjoy more than food. Too bad when
> you live to eat...when we all just need to eat to live.

I am sure there are some words of wisdom in your post... somewhere....

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy - the eternal optimist
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob (this one) wrote:

> I rather admire folks like that even when there's disagreement about the
> actual criteria and the stuff being discussed.

Me too.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 01:06:59 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

>Serene wrote:
>

>> That doesn't sound snobbish to me -- it sounds like you've found
>> something that works for you. Now, if you were criticizing people who
>> don't do their own cooking with fresh ingredients, that would seem
>> snobbish to me.

>OK. Here's the rub. Do you, or do you not use Miracle Whip?

*laugh* I haven't in a long while, but I like it. It's not mayo, it's
not salad dressing, it's just... this other thing, and I like it in
tuna with dried chopped onion.

But I like a lot of trashy foods. I like Campbell's soups. I like
white bread. I don't tend to *eat* that stuff, you understand,
because I like my homemade, wholesome food more, but when I do eat it
on occasion, I do like it.

I'm a really good cook, and I cook nearly everything from scratch (I
do use canned tomatoes about half the time when tomatoes are called
for, but I cook beans from dried, grind my own whole-wheat flour,
etc.), but I'm not above scarfing down some Jack-in-the-Box tacos when
trashy tacos are exactly what I'm in the mood for. Food is about joy
for me, and I get a lot of joy from cooking wholesome, healthful foods
-- I also get joy of a different kind from a bag of Tootsie Rolls.

C'est la vie.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> Serene wrote:
>

>> That doesn't sound snobbish to me -- it sounds like you've found
>> something that works for you. Now, if you were criticizing people who
>> don't do their own cooking with fresh ingredients, that would seem
>> snobbish to me.

> OK. Here's the rub. Do you, or do you not use Miracle Whip?

I bought a jar of that for a recipe then changed my mind...does that
count? LOL...

--
The Doctor: And I'm looking for a blonde in a Union Jack. A specific
one, mind you, I didn't just wake up this morning with a craving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 01:18:41 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

>I am sure there are some words of wisdom in your post... somewhere....

It should have hit you RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES! If is didn't you are
one pathetic soul.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ward Abbott > wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 01:18:41 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> > wrote:
>
> >I am sure there are some words of wisdom in your post... somewhere....

> It should have hit you RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES! If is didn't you are
> one pathetic soul.

Can I be a pathetic soul too? Please?
My FIL ate to live. It was his choice. I respect that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:17:27 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>My FIL ate to live. It was his choice. I respect that.

But was he a "food snob" that lived to eat and degrade anyone who
didn't agree with his edict?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> -- I also get joy of a different kind from a bag of Tootsie Rolls.

I'm not sure that was appropriate. Shouldn't you be posting to alt.sex?

:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:22:18 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> Serene > wrote:
>

>> -- I also get joy of a different kind from a bag of Tootsie Rolls.

>I'm not sure that was appropriate. Shouldn't you be posting to alt.sex?

Heh. I'm a soc.sexuality.general regular, pal. Been there, done that.
;-)

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-01-10, Serene > wrote:

> What an odd thing to say. Om asked me why I don't think it's good to
> be a food snob, and I answered. I don't know how you inferred any
> non-chillness in my post. *shrug*

You did just fine, Serene. You stated your view sincerely and
succinctly and I, for one, think it was right on target. Bottom line,
if someone likes it, it's good. End of story. Sure I like le poof da
boeuf a la yer hoity toity, but gimme some of that good ol' down home
cookin' ala yo mama, too. BTW, I made cherry jello with bananas and
fruit cocktail last night and I just scored a whole rack of tacky
stupidmarket bakery cinnamon rolls on sale. Woo-hoo!!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Jan 2007 14:18:24 -0800, "merryb" > wrote:

>Little Malice wrote:

>> Oh, I agree. I just wish there was a better term for it than "food
>> snob", that's all...
>>
>> --
>> Jani in WA

>How about "a refined palate" or "culinarily intelligent"

How about foodie?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ward Abbott > wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:17:27 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> >My FIL ate to live. It was his choice. I respect that.

> But was he a "food snob" that lived to eat and degrade anyone who
> didn't agree with his edict?

What part of "eat to live" versus "live to eat" didn't you understand?

He had other interests, and just ate because otherwise he would die of
starvation:

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=003...6%3ASCSAAA%3E2
..0.CO%3B2-P
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> Um, regarding your question about "me have learned such a
> lot," while more knowledgeable about food, cooking and the
> like, qualifies you for the remedial course being offered by
> Melba. Tell her Bob sent ya.
>
> No, seriously...
>
> Pastorio

You used my name. In vain? What'd I do now?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>> Um, regarding your question about "me have learned such a
>> lot," while more knowledgeable about food, cooking and the
>> like, qualifies you for the remedial course being offered by
>> Melba. Tell her Bob sent ya.
>>
>> No, seriously...
>>
>> Pastorio

> You used my name. In vain? What'd I do now?

I think it was meant as a compliment, but it's hard to tell buried in a
failed attempt at a joke like that.

Best regards,
Bob