Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tough pork loin---suggestions for dinner tomorrow night?

Hello gents and miladies:

Normally when boneless pork loin goes on sale, I buy at least one and
slice it into thick chops. The first ones are grilled that evening
with a little olive oil and seasoning, the rest are frozen.

Kroger has always had good pork loin...til now. I bought half a loin
last week and cut chops and cooked 'em as usual. To say they were
'tough' is putting it mildly....

So... if you have ideas for the remaining tough pork---about three or
four pounds---please share. I thought about 'South American Pork soup"
because it can be simmered forever, but we've had soup already this
week. Nothing with kraut, please. I love it, the wife likes it, the
girls can't stand to be in the same house when it's cooking....

Thanks! -- Terry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello gents and miladies:
>
> Normally when boneless pork loin goes on sale, I buy at least one and
> slice it into thick chops. The first ones are grilled that evening
> with a little olive oil and seasoning, the rest are frozen.
>
> Kroger has always had good pork loin...til now. I bought half a loin
> last week and cut chops and cooked 'em as usual. To say they were
> 'tough' is putting it mildly....
>
> So... if you have ideas for the remaining tough pork---about three or
> four pounds---please share. I thought about 'South American Pork soup"
> because it can be simmered forever, but we've had soup already this
> week. Nothing with kraut, please. I love it, the wife likes it, the
> girls can't stand to be in the same house when it's cooking....
>
> Thanks! -- Terry

Slice it VERY thin, almost like cold cuts, in whatever direction produces
the tenderest result. Doctor some BBQ sauce with brown booze (bourbon, etc),
extra herbs, whatever you think tastes right. Simmer the meat slices for a
few minutes (or longer), and serve on some sort of delicious bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello gents and miladies:
>
> Normally when boneless pork loin goes on sale, I buy at least one and
> slice it into thick chops. The first ones are grilled that evening
> with a little olive oil and seasoning, the rest are frozen.
>
> Kroger has always had good pork loin...til now. I bought half a loin
> last week and cut chops and cooked 'em as usual. To say they were
> 'tough' is putting it mildly....
>
> So... if you have ideas for the remaining tough pork---about three or
> four pounds---please share. I thought about 'South American Pork soup"
> because it can be simmered forever, but we've had soup already this
> week. Nothing with kraut, please. I love it, the wife likes it, the
> girls can't stand to be in the same house when it's cooking....
>
> Thanks! -- Terry

The last Loin I bought was dry pretty dry also. Haven't bought one since
but I intend to after I read that many chefs are brining their pork these
days to bring some flavor back to this ultra lean meat pork producers have
developed.

I cooked up some chops last night that had brined for 2 nights. I have
read where up to a week for Roasts is ok. 2 days for chops. I assume a
double cut chop would be somewhere in between. Google for Brining recipes.
For mine I use 2/3 c. Morton's Tender Quick, 2/3 cup Brown sugar in a gal
of H20 and then my spices based on what I want it to be. Latin/Caribbean
Creole with chiles, allspice, ginger,cumin, garlic, maybe a blood Orange or
lemon thrown in for fun is one of my favorite. Cook em as you like em but
do be aware that they will be a bit pinker and may fool you to where you
will over cook it. .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I think this stuffing method works better if you mix butter or lard
with the herb to put inside. The cheaper bacon works better than
pancetta.

Or you can try make some Chinese bacon. Cut the pork loin along the
length to 4 pieces. Marinate with dard soy saurce, brown sugar and salt
for 3 days in the fridge. Then hang it dry for at least a week or more
depending on the room humidity.

To serve, steam the whole piece for 15 minutes, the cut into very thin
slices.

I like it better than pancetta. Never understand the fancination about
expensive pancetta.

Steve Y wrote:
> Find a way of making a hole down the length, fill this with a suitable
> stuffing of onions and herbs, wrap the fillet in pancetta and
> thentinfoil and then give it 15 mins at a high heat and a 2 or 3 hours
> at a fairly low heat. This should work
>
> Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've been watching my grandma and father doing it at home for years.
Now it's my turn to make it for my daughter.

What food poisoning? Please educate me.

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2007 11:00:37 -0800, wrote:
>
> > Or you can try make some Chinese bacon. Cut the pork loin along the
> > length to 4 pieces. Marinate with dard soy saurce, brown sugar and salt
> > for 3 days in the fridge. Then hang it dry for at least a week or more
> > depending on the room humidity.

> Sounds like a recipe for Death by Food Poisoning. Please don't try
> that at home, folks.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In canada, pancetta is an Italian bacon sold in the deli counter, $10
or more a pound. It's usually cut into very thin slices on top of
cracker/bread. The flavor is too sutle to taste after in oven for over
an hour.

The bacon is refered as American smoked bacon, sold in bag for $3. It
usually has 50% fat in it. Such make it good to wrap food in oven.

Steve Y wrote:
> If I had been writing for a purely British audience, I would have said
> streaky bacon. Pancetta I thought was more universal (but certainly more
> expensive)
>
> Steve
>
> wrote:
> > I think this stuffing method works better if you mix butter or lard
> > with the herb to put inside. The cheaper bacon works better than
> > pancetta.
> >
> > Or you can try make some Chinese bacon. Cut the pork loin along the
> > length to 4 pieces. Marinate with dard soy saurce, brown sugar and salt
> > for 3 days in the fridge. Then hang it dry for at least a week or more
> > depending on the room humidity.
> >
> > To serve, steam the whole piece for 15 minutes, the cut into very thin
> > slices.
> >
> > I like it better than pancetta. Never understand the fancination about
> > expensive pancetta.
> >

> > Steve Y wrote:
> >> Find a way of making a hole down the length, fill this with a suitable
> >> stuffing of onions and herbs, wrap the fillet in pancetta and
> >> thentinfoil and then give it 15 mins at a high heat and a 2 or 3 hours
> >> at a fairly low heat. This should work
> >>
> >> Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tough pork loin---suggestions for dinner tomorrow night? Lard101

Thankfully not all bacon sold in the UK is smoked, un-smoked (or green)
streaky is what I would use for this dish.

Streaky is a great bacon for using in cooking, it's not what I would use
as part of a fry-up (aka breakfast)

Recipes in older British Cookery books talk about "larding" game or
poultry before cooking, ie putting strips of fatty bacon over the birds
before cooking. Streaky bacon here in France is called "Lard" and gives
rise to "lardons" that are often found in salads here and probably what
ended up as "bacon bits" on American salad bars.

Lard in England is refined pork fat and is sold in butchers. (In French
it's called sandoux)

Steve

wrote:
>>> I think this stuffing method works better if you mix butter or lard
>>> with the herb to put inside. The cheaper bacon works better than
>>> pancetta.
>>>
>>> Or you can try make some Chinese bacon. Cut the pork loin along the
>>> length to 4 pieces. Marinate with dard soy saurce, brown sugar and salt
>>> for 3 days in the fridge. Then hang it dry for at least a week or more
>>> depending on the room humidity.
>>>
>>> To serve, steam the whole piece for 15 minutes, the cut into very thin
>>> slices.
>>>
>>> I like it better than pancetta. Never understand the fancination about
>>> expensive pancetta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for caring about health of my daughter. I've been doing it for
years without food poisoning. Please don't knock something that you
don't know anything about or haven't done it yourself.

Here is the complete step if you want to experiment.

1 kg of pork belly, cut into 2 inch wide stripes.
2 g of salt,
6 g of brown sugar
1/2 cup dark soy sauce (roughly, I never measure it)
1/4 cup of chinese cooking wine (I never meaure it either)

Marinate it in fridge for 3 days. Then pat it dry with paper towl. Hang
in a well ventilated place until it becomes firm.

Please report back with actual experience next time.

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2007 12:23:34 -0800, wrote:
>
> > I've been watching my grandma and father doing it at home for years.
> > Now it's my turn to make it for my daughter.

> Make sure you get the *complete* recipe from one of your folks
> first. For your daughter's sake.
>
> > What food poisoning? Please educate me.

> You can't hang raw pork at room temp for several weeks without
> using some nitrites or much (MUCH!) more salt than you casually
> mentioned.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for caring about health of my daughter. I've been doing it for
years without food poisoning. Please don't knock something that you
don't know anything about or haven't done it yourself.

Here is the complete step if you want to experiment.

1 kg of pork belly, cut into 2 inch wide stripes.
20 g of salt,
60 g of brown sugar

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2007 12:23:34 -0800, wrote:
>
> > I've been watching my grandma and father doing it at home for years.
> > Now it's my turn to make it for my daughter.

> Make sure you get the *complete* recipe from one of your folks
> first. For your daughter's sake.
>
> > What food poisoning? Please educate me.

> You can't hang raw pork at room temp for several weeks without
> using some nitrites or much (MUCH!) more salt than you casually
> mentioned.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello gents and miladies:
>
> Normally when boneless pork loin goes on sale, I buy at least one and
> slice it into thick chops. The first ones are grilled that evening
> with a little olive oil and seasoning, the rest are frozen.
>
> Kroger has always had good pork loin...til now. I bought half a loin
> last week and cut chops and cooked 'em as usual. To say they were
> 'tough' is putting it mildly....
>
> So... if you have ideas for the remaining tough pork---about three or
> four pounds---please share. I thought about 'South American Pork soup"
> because it can be simmered forever, but we've had soup already this
> week. Nothing with kraut, please. I love it, the wife likes it, the
> girls can't stand to be in the same house when it's cooking....

Perhaps roasting it in the oven, pre rummed in salt, pepper, creole
seasoning, and some finely grated garlic. (You might also cut four or five
slots in your toast and placing a whole fresh garlic clove inside the meat
for baking) Roast the pork as you would a typical roast this saze. I prefer
to cover it about half its baking time and then bake with out the foil When
you are almost ready to serve, slice pull the pork into edible sizes. You
can either cover all the roast with bbq sauce in a glass roasting and simmer
for anywhere from 15 hours to 100 an hour. I prefer tomato based sauces,
instead of vinegar but each will work. Served with sliced thing, fried rispy
potato rounds, and fresh grean beabs or perhaps a salad. My familiarity with
thie is of course my own tweaks and changes. Feel free to wallow in ideas.

HTH , if you want to exact proportions, cooking times, my veriations
etcetera. Hller.
Cindi

> Thanks! -- Terry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll try a stir-fry
tonight, cut in thin slices across the grain. The rest will be ground
up for meatballs and meatloaf. Elder daughter actually ate some of the
last batch of sweet-n-sour meatballs I made....

Best -- Terry

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Deb Deb is offline

Put it in the crockpot with some worcestershire sauce, onions, garlic, bay,
salt and pepper. Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 5. Take meat out,
cover keep warm, mix some cornstarch and water add to liquid, heat to
thicken for gravy. Great woth potatoes or noodles.

Debbie

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello gents and miladies:
>
> Normally when boneless pork loin goes on sale, I buy at least one and
> slice it into thick chops. The first ones are grilled that evening
> with a little olive oil and seasoning, the rest are frozen.
>
> Kroger has always had good pork loin...til now. I bought half a loin
> last week and cut chops and cooked 'em as usual. To say they were
> 'tough' is putting it mildly....
>
> So... if you have ideas for the remaining tough pork---about three or
> four pounds---please share. I thought about 'South American Pork soup"
> because it can be simmered forever, but we've had soup already this
> week. Nothing with kraut, please. I love it, the wife likes it, the
> girls can't stand to be in the same house when it's cooking....
>
> Thanks! -- Terry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I find this pinkness with brined chicken, also. Is there some reason

..
> In other words is this another technique I'll have to lose in order to
> stay
> alive?
>
> Just wondering,
> Ann

My wife is the same Ann. she will poke and prod to see if it is really
cooked through..

There is an explanation contained in this link somewhere. It has to do
with the nitrates.
http://www.geocities.com/senortoad/S...bequeMeats.htm

I say you should discuss the health issue and Sodium and Nitrates with your
Doctor. There is no one here that can honestly answer the question about
YOUR health, although many here may. If he says you can occasionally,
then go for it. a little less salt in the brine and a bit more spice is
certainly better than none. Just practice safe food. I prefer to do this my
self rather than pay a 10-12% premium using their formula, salt is cheaper
than say allspice, ginger and citrus.

The brining process does work, it is based in science, it is not a gimmick.
Review these links at your leisure

http://www.ochef.com/152.htm

http://www.ochef.com/292.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Hello genitals and maladies:
>
> Normally when boneless pork loin goes on sale, I buy at least one

At least one... how do you buy less than one? DUH!

> and slice it into thick chops.

If it's boneless it can't be chops.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> wrote:
>> Hello genitals and maladies:
>>
>> Normally when boneless pork loin goes on sale, I buy at least one

> At least one... how do you buy less than one? DUH!
>
>> and slice it into thick chops.

> If it's boneless it can't be chops.

Yes, it can. It's just a generic term for a small cut of meat, often
containing part of a rib.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > wrote:
> >> Hello genitals and maladies:
> >>
> >> Normally when boneless pork loin goes on sale, I buy at least one

> > At least one... how do you buy less than one? DUH!
> >
> >> and slice it into thick chops.

> > If it's boneless it can't be chops.
> >

> Yes, it can. It's just a generic term for a small cut of meat, often
> containing part of a rib.

Nope. The bone is what defines the cut as a chop... and it needn't be
rib, there are shoulder chops too, and arm chops, and loin chops...
pork, veal, and lamb... there are no beef chops regardless, with beef
they're called steaks. Nowadays meat departments often mislabel cuts,
specifically for the pinheads. What are typically labeled boneless
pork chops are simply boneless pork loin (cutlets/medallions). If I
ordered pork chops at a restaurant you bet your bippy they had better
contain the bone, otherwise back they go. Would you accept boneless
lamb chops, being a pinhead you would.

http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatPorkLoin.html