Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default RIP Mr. Noodle

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 13:16:48 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:

>Excerpt from the NYT:
>
>" Momofuku Ando, who died in Ikeda, near Osaka, at 96, was looking for
>cheap, decent food for the working class when he invented ramen noodles all
>by himself in 1958."

Oh, you scared me! I was afraid that Mr. Noodle from Sesame Street
had passed on.

I love ramen noodles. There is something so satisfying about slurping
up all those noodles and broth. It's interesting to hear that he was
trying to create a cheap, easy to prepare food in postwar Japan. I
imagine cooking utensils and energy were scarce. I'd be interested
to hear the story behind his invention.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 13:16:48 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> > wrote:
>
>>Excerpt from the NYT:
>>
>>" Momofuku Ando, who died in Ikeda, near Osaka, at 96, was looking for
>>cheap, decent food for the working class when he invented ramen noodles
>>all
>>by himself in 1958."

> Oh, you scared me! I was afraid that Mr. Noodle from Sesame Street
> had passed on.
>
> I love ramen noodles. There is something so satisfying about slurping
> up all those noodles and broth. It's interesting to hear that he was
> trying to create a cheap, easy to prepare food in postwar Japan. I
> imagine cooking utensils and energy were scarce. I'd be interested
> to hear the story behind his invention.
>
> Tara

The original Mr. Noodle from Sesame Street did pass on. Michael Jeter died
of AIDS a few years ago.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 20:26:27 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

>The original Mr. Noodle from Sesame Street did pass on. Michael Jeter died
>of AIDS a few years ago.

Oh, that's a shame. I'm sorry to hear it. He was very talented. I
enjoy it when Mr. Noodle appears with his brother, Mr. Noodle.

OB Sesame: I made an impulse buy at Wal-Mart yesterday and bought a
jar of vegetable seasoning mix. It is mostly salt and sesame seeds
with some spices. I thought it would be good to sprinkle on roast
vegetables.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 13:16:48 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> > wrote:
>
>> Excerpt from the NYT:
>>
>> " Momofuku Ando, who died in Ikeda, near Osaka, at 96, was looking for
>> cheap, decent food for the working class when he invented ramen noodles all
>> by himself in 1958."

> Oh, you scared me! I was afraid that Mr. Noodle from Sesame Street
> had passed on.
>
> I love ramen noodles. There is something so satisfying about slurping
> up all those noodles and broth. It's interesting to hear that he was
> trying to create a cheap, easy to prepare food in postwar Japan. I
> imagine cooking utensils and energy were scarce. I'd be interested
> to hear the story behind his invention.
>
> Tara

I think its more marketing hype than anything. There isn't much in the
way of food that is cheaper, easier and more filling than noodles which
people were already eating. His invention was "instant ramen" where the
ramen is deep fried to precook it so that it can be prepared quickly.

I have been to Japan on numerous occasions and people may eat the
instant ramen but it certainly hasn't replaced real noodles.