Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tortilla Warmers

I ran into this website www.latortillaoven.com and I ordered a couple
of them for Christmas. I gotta tell ya, this is the best darn tortilla
warmer I ever purchased. I have used just about every tortilla warmer
on the market and this one is by far the best one out there.

I placed about 7 tortillas in the warmer and I through it in the
microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes. I could not believe that my last
tortilla in the warmer was still warm just a little past one hour!

I also used it to heat up rolls, bagels, pancakes and croissants! I bet
you can used it for other food items. To top it off, it is fully
machine washable and dryable. This is an A+ product.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

What's wrong with using the microwave oven I already have ? Why spend
money at www.laTROLLivaoven.com ?

> I ran into this website
www.latortillaoven.com and I ordered a couple
> of them for Christmas. I gotta tell ya, this is the best darn tortilla
> warmer I ever purchased. I have used just about every tortilla warmer
> on the market and this one is by far the best one out there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Y wrote:
> What's wrong with using the microwave oven I already have ? Why spend
> money at www.laTROLLivaoven.com ?

No kidding. Two damp paper towels and a microwave have always worked
for me.

--
The Doctor: And I'm looking for a blonde in a Union Jack. A specific
one, mind you, I didn't just wake up this morning with a craving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 21:15:42 +0100, Steve Y >
wrote:

>What's wrong with using the microwave oven I already have ?

We have used a cast iron skillet for years now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Y said...

> What's wrong with using the microwave oven I already have ? Why spend
> money at www.laTROLLivaoven.com ?

That's what I do. Take sheets of paper towel, put one on a paper plate,
spritz with water, place a tortilla, cover with another paper towel, spritz,
another tortilla, etc. Nuke for 30 seconds or so (depending on how many).

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 21:15:42 +0100, Steve Y >
> wrote:
>
> >What's wrong with using the microwave oven I already have ?

> We have used a cast iron skillet for years now.

Me too. I warm and soften corn tortillas by simply dipping them in water,
then a few seconds per side and into a bowl covered with a clean tea towel.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 02:20:57 GMT, "Paul M. Cook"
> wrote:

>"Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 21:15:42 +0100, Steve Y >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >What's wrong with using the microwave oven I already have ?

>> We have used a cast iron skillet for years now.

>Me too. I warm and soften corn tortillas by simply dipping them in water,
>then a few seconds per side and into a bowl covered with a clean tea towel.

I deleted this thread, but it keeps coming back.... so I will chime in
too. I'm not excusing spamming here. I just want to say that
"tortilla warmer" doesn't mean something you stick in a bunch of
tortillas and pop it into the microwave. Microwaved tortillas are
just plain wrong.

Repeating myself: a tortilla "warmer" isn't something you "warm"
tortillas in. It *keeps* them warm. I'm satisfied with the old
fashioned styrofoam cheapie from the grocery store that I have... but
if these things in the spam have a heat reflective lining (they claim
a 30 minute heat retention) and don't take up more space than two
potholders - great!

If you like the idea of taking up less space but don't like spammers,
here's an alternative:
http://www.latortillaloca.com/tortilla_warmers.htm

As an alternative to woven material, here's a nice looking ceramic one
http://tinylink.com/?J7daxUD3EM or
http://www.worldmarket.com/Tortilla-...d=msn_shopping

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
>I ran into this website www.latortillxoven.com and I ordered a couple
>of them for Christmas. I gotta tell ya, this is the best darn tortilla
>warmer I ever purchased. I have used just about every tortilla warmer
>on the market and this one is by far the best one out there.
>
>I placed about 7 tortillas in the warmer and I through it in the
>microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes. I could not believe that my last
>tortilla in the warmer was still warm just a little past one hour!
>
>I also used it to heat up rolls, bagels, pancakes and croissants! I bet
>you can used it for other food items. To top it off, it is fully
>machine washable and dryable. This is an A+ product.

Do they taste okay when covered in ****ing spam?

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
>Repeating myself: a tortilla "warmer" isn't something you "warm"
>tortillas in. It *keeps* them warm. I'm satisfied with the old
>fashioned styrofoam cheapie from the grocery store that I have... but
>if these things in the spam have a heat reflective lining (they claim
>a 30 minute heat retention) and don't take up more space than two
>potholders - great!

The spam post claimed an hour, the website (apparently
you fell for the spam) claims half an hour...i'd bet
from the description here that the thing is worth
five minutes, tops.

The styro ones are the best.

Warm the tortillas in a toaster-oven, or in a hot
skillet (no oil necessary).

Meanwhile, throw a folded-up, damp paper towel in the
microwave for 60 seconds.

Put the hot, damp towel under another paper towel in the
styro thing, then add the warm tortillas, then another paper
towel, then secure the lid. The two non-wet paper towels
should stick out all around, helping to seal the seam.

They'll stay pleasantly warm for half an hour that way,
more if you have several tortillas in there, and they
won't have that nukular al-dente thing going on.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 05:11:43 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

> > wrote:
>>Repeating myself: a tortilla "warmer" isn't something you "warm"
>>tortillas in. It *keeps* them warm. I'm satisfied with the old
>>fashioned styrofoam cheapie from the grocery store that I have... but
>>if these things in the spam have a heat reflective lining (they claim
>>a 30 minute heat retention) and don't take up more space than two
>>potholders - great!

>The spam post claimed an hour, the website (apparently
>you fell for the spam)

"FELL"?????? I checked it out - as did *you*, apparently.... or else
you couldn't say that.

sf> Slapping Blair upside the head.

>claims half an hour...i'd bet
>from the description here that the thing is worth
>five minutes, tops.
>
>The styro ones are the best.
>
>Warm the tortillas in a toaster-oven, or in a hot
>skillet (no oil necessary).

My method is: dry *hot* skillet. It's the *only* way to tortilla
perfection.

>Meanwhile, throw a folded-up, damp paper towel in the
>microwave for 60 seconds.

Microwave? You don't need no steenkin microwave!

>Put the hot, damp towel under another paper towel in the
>styro thing, then add the warm tortillas, then another paper
>towel, then secure the lid. The two non-wet paper towels
>should stick out all around, helping to seal the seam.
>
>They'll stay pleasantly warm for half an hour that way,
>more if you have several tortillas in there, and they
>won't have that nukular al-dente thing going on.

I'll stick with my styrofoam warmer (although I do put a *dry* paper
towel on the bottom to absorb steam which keeps them from sticking
together - yes, even dry heat creates steam).

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Do they taste okay when covered in ****ing spam?
>
> --Blair

Maybe it is sincere report of a kitchen gadget?
Just because I would not want one there are people who mightthink they
were cute and have to have one for their theme kitchens?

Would you shred Velveta on that Spam taco?

How do you decide if something is Spam or just sharing a new found
gadget?

Pam

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Jan 2007 04:33:23 -0800, "pamjd" > wrote:

>Would you shred Velveta on that Spam taco?

Sure...and it is great on nachos....a nice smooth cheese sauce.

And speaking of Spam....here is another award winner!!

Sweet & Sour Spam

Yield: 6 servings

2 can Spam luncheon meat
½ cup Red Vinegar
1 cup Catsup
1 ½ cup Brown Sugar
½ cup Pineapple chunks
2 cup Juice from pineapple
2 cup Tempura flour mix or
1 cup Flour
1 cup Corn starch
1 medium Onion
1 cup Carrots, chopped
1 cup Button mushrooms
1 cup Snow peas
1 cup Bell peppers, sliced
½ teaspoon Ginger, powered
Garlic
Salt
Pepper
Salad oil

Slice Spam into 1/2 X 1" chunks. Pour tempura flour mix into small
mixing bowl and gradually stir in water or pineapple juice until
mixture is smooth. (Pancake consistency) Season with garlic, salt, and
pepper. Dip Spam into batter and deep fry until golden brown. Sauce:
Combine vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup and pineapple juice in medium
saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Dilute corn starch in
water and gradually stir into sauce to thicken. Stir-fry veggies in 1
Tbs oil until tender-crisp. Pour sweet-n-sour sauce generously over
Spam and stir-fried vegetables.

First Place, Main Dish, SPAM Luncheon Meat Contest. Agan Guam
Submitted By LISA BUTLER On 05-30-95

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay > wrote:
>On 10 Jan 2007 04:33:23 -0800, pamjd wrote:
>
>> How do you decide if something is Spam or just sharing a new found
>> gadget?
>>
>> Pam

>When it is obviously a POS and someone posts and goes on and on about how
>marvelous it is.. and the OP has posted only ONCE *ever*.

Them's all the points I was going to make, except one:

and it comes with a link.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
>On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 05:11:43 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>
>> > wrote:
>>>Repeating myself: a tortilla "warmer" isn't something you "warm"
>>>tortillas in. It *keeps* them warm. I'm satisfied with the old
>>>fashioned styrofoam cheapie from the grocery store that I have... but
>>>if these things in the spam have a heat reflective lining (they claim
>>>a 30 minute heat retention) and don't take up more space than two
>>>potholders - great!

>>The spam post claimed an hour, the website (apparently
>>you fell for the spam)

>"FELL"?????? I checked it out - as did *you*, apparently.... or else
>you couldn't say that.

No, I didn't click on the link. I'm trusting you
copied the number "thirty" correctly. A bad move
on my part, clearly.

>sf> Slapping Blair upside the head.
>
>>claims half an hour...i'd bet
>>from the description here that the thing is worth
>>five minutes, tops.
>>
>>The styro ones are the best.
>>
>>Warm the tortillas in a toaster-oven, or in a hot
>>skillet (no oil necessary).

>My method is: dry *hot* skillet. It's the *only* way to tortilla
>perfection.

Yep. All tortillas have some fat in them, even the
low-fat ones. They also bring a little water to create
a steam cushion, and don't stick in any case.

>>Meanwhile, throw a folded-up, damp paper towel in the
>>microwave for 60 seconds.

>Microwave? You don't need no steenkin microwave!

You do if you want a teeny bit of steamy steam and have
a long run from the water heater to the sink tap.

>I'll stick with my styrofoam warmer (although I do put a *dry* paper
>towel on the bottom to absorb steam which keeps them from sticking
>together - yes, even dry heat creates steam).

The steam, as I said up there, comes from the moisture
in the tortillas. They will get dryer the longer they
sit in the keeper. Hence the need to add a little humidity
with the damp, preheated paper towel.

--Blair
"You think I don't think
people will think I don't
think about these things?"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 04:25:56 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

>The steam, as I said up there, comes from the moisture
>in the tortillas. They will get dryer the longer they
>sit in the keeper. Hence the need to add a little humidity
>with the damp, preheated paper towel.

Oh, no my man.... there is never a need to add dampness to a properly
heated tortilla.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
>On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 04:25:56 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>
>>The steam, as I said up there, comes from the moisture
>>in the tortillas. They will get dryer the longer they
>>sit in the keeper. Hence the need to add a little humidity
>>with the damp, preheated paper towel.

>Oh, no my man.... there is never a need to add dampness to a properly
>heated tortilla.

I'm not adding dampness; I'm merely maintaining it.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 22:30:15 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

> > wrote:
>>On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 04:25:56 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>>
>>>The steam, as I said up there, comes from the moisture
>>>in the tortillas. They will get dryer the longer they
>>>sit in the keeper. Hence the need to add a little humidity
>>>with the damp, preheated paper towel.

>>Oh, no my man.... there is never a need to add dampness to a properly
>>heated tortilla.

>I'm not adding dampness; I'm merely maintaining it.
>
> --Blair

We can agree to disagree in that case, because a "damp" paper towel
will create soggy tortillas in my world.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
>
>We can agree to disagree in that case, because a "damp" paper towel
>will create soggy tortillas in my world.

What color is the sky in that world, because in this one,
having that towel under the dry one keeps the tortillas
from drying themselves out.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:00:48 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

> > wrote:
>>
>>We can agree to disagree in that case, because a "damp" paper towel
>>will create soggy tortillas in my world.

>What color is the sky in that world, because in this one,
>having that towel under the dry one keeps the tortillas
>from drying themselves out.

I'm beginning to wonder the same thing about your world, bud.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
>On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:00:48 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>>We can agree to disagree in that case, because a "damp" paper towel
>>>will create soggy tortillas in my world.

>>What color is the sky in that world, because in this one,
>>having that towel under the dry one keeps the tortillas
>>from drying themselves out.
>>

>I'm beginning to wonder the same thing about your world, bud.

My world operates on principles of physics and social behavior.

--Blair
"We voted Sheldon off the island."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:16:15 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

> > wrote:

>>>What color is the sky in that world, because in this one,
>>>having that towel under the dry one keeps the tortillas
>>>from drying themselves out.
>>>

>>I'm beginning to wonder the same thing about your world, bud.

>My world operates on principles of physics and social behavior.

Not sure *why* you said that, but it's obvious you're ignoring
practical experience. I'm outta here. This thread has become toxic.

--
See return address to reply by email

Winter Warmers cktlconnoisseur General 0 01-12-2011 09:47 PM
Tortilla Roll-ups or Mexican Pinwheels or Tortilla Pinwheels sandi General Cooking 12 20-01-2007 08:49 PM
Tortilla Warmers [email protected] Mexican Cooking 3 11-01-2007 05:51 AM
Tortilla Warmers [email protected] Cooking Equipment 1 09-01-2007 10:32 PM
Stoves and coffee-makers as warmers Bluesea Tea 3 15-03-2005 06:29 PM