Old 01-01-2007, 05:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan

Default looking for simple indian recipes (vegetarian)

Hi,

I'm looking for some simple indian food recipes. I'm having trouble
getting other than ad sites when I search for this with Google.

I'm looking for simple (or simpler...)- it's okay if it's not
completely authentic or is westernized. If there aren't good resources
on the web, can someone recommend a book?

Old 01-01-2007, 05:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan

On 2007-01-01, wrote:

I'm looking for some simple indian food recipes. I'm having trouble
getting other than ad sites when I search for this with Google.

Try he

http://www.gadnet.com/recipes.htm

nb
Old 01-01-2007, 09:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Jan 2007 13:20:33 -0800, "Amanda" wrote:

Curly Sue wrote:

Also, Ronnie Rao used to post. You can search rfc for her, but she
has a very nice website http://www.RupenRao.com

I don't understand why the link above doesn't appera as a hyperlink in
your post.

It did for me.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Old 01-01-2007, 09:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan

Amanda wrote:
wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for some simple indian food recipes. I'm having trouble
getting other than ad sites when I search for this with Google.

I'm looking for simple (or simpler...)- it's okay if it's not
completely authentic or is westernized. If there aren't good resources
on the web, can someone recommend a book?

I just googled it with "chana dal" and got this:

http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html

Since I don't like complication, I chose "simple chama dal" and it is:

(Note: You can buy Garam Masala; BTW, I would have a meat dish also,
curry or kabob)

Ingredients:

2 cups (uncooked) chana dal

6 cups water

1 large onion

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon garam masala1

salt to taste

Preparation:

Simmer dal until tender. Purée part of it. Carmelize onion in a bit of
olive oil. Add garam masala and simmer a bit more. Add onions to dal.

Serving suggestions:

Serve over a bed of one-half rice and one-half barley. Top with
fat-free sour cream or plain non-fat yogurt.

Notes:

1Garam masala is a mixture of fragrant, pulverized spices. In Bengal it
consists of cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves. In other parts of India it
may also include black peppercorns, nutmeg, coriander, and other
spices. All Indian stores sell ground garam masala.