Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Appendix to "What to feed a sick hubby"

During last year's flu season, the NG published a series of messages
titled "What to feed a sick hubby". I set them aside knowing I'd need
that sooner or later. Couple of weeks ago I found myself reaching for
it. I modified it somewhat and added things related to my specific
condition.

There are those bugs which take away any appetite. My sympathy to you;
I understand flat ginger ale and Gatorade may be all you can tolerate.

What I had was violent cramping. No loss of appetite, so although the
flat ginger ale is a good idea, it wasn't applicable. Since my
appetite never failed, I kept eating. I may have gotten rid of the bug
in a day, but my gut was sensitive and my regular eating did not
improve things. After several days I figured out what was happened and
limited myself to Gatorade and canned chicken broth with rice for 36
hours. Everything improved and I tried some real food. Back to the
bathroom and back to the broth and Gatorade.

I read that boiled potato was just as helpful and non-irritating as
rice. I also discovered soft-boiled eggs didn't bother me, nor did
dry toast, so breakfast became two soft boiled eggs over boiled
potato. Nice.

Toast and honey were good, so I chopped up the toast and pored honey
over it. With weak tea.

Pancakes were fine, with honey, as was applesauce over white bread.

A can of chicken over rice went over well.

Stay away from dairy.

After two days, I got brave and tried just a couple of tablespoonfuls
of real food. Slight cramping, so I didn't try again for another day.
Adding new foods and waiting for a reaction took another three days,
but gradually my gut began to tolerate food again.

Hope this is some help - Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Michael Horowitz > wrote:

> There are those bugs which take away any appetite. My sympathy to you;
> I understand flat ginger ale and Gatorade may be all you can tolerate.

> improve things. After several days I figured out what was happened and
> limited myself to Gatorade and canned chicken broth with rice

> rice. I also discovered soft-boiled eggs didn't bother me, nor did
> dry toast, so breakfast became two soft boiled eggs over boiled
> potato. Nice.
>
> Toast and honey were good, so I chopped up the toast and pored honey

Try the BRAT diet: bananas, rice, applesauce, toast (not necessarily one
on top of the other on the plate).
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Rest in peace, Dad 12/15/1889 - 12/29/1951 I hardly knew you
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 08:59:39 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Michael Horowitz > wrote:
>
>> There are those bugs which take away any appetite. My sympathy to you;
>> I understand flat ginger ale and Gatorade may be all you can tolerate.

>> improve things. After several days I figured out what was happened and
>> limited myself to Gatorade and canned chicken broth with rice

>> rice. I also discovered soft-boiled eggs didn't bother me, nor did
>> dry toast, so breakfast became two soft boiled eggs over boiled
>> potato. Nice.
>>
>> Toast and honey were good, so I chopped up the toast and pored honey

>Try the BRAT diet: bananas, rice, applesauce, toast (not necessarily one
>on top of the other on the plate).

Hi Barb - this is based on the BRAT; and their is nothing wrong with
an applesauce/banana sandwich - Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Michael Horowitz > wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 08:59:39 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
> >Try the BRAT diet: bananas, rice, applesauce, toast (not necessarily one
> >on top of the other on the plate).

> Hi Barb - this is based on the BRAT;

Kinda looked that way with the rice and toast. :-)

and their is nothing wrong with
> an applesauce/banana sandwich - Mike

I don't know where cottage cheese falls in the plan -- probably outside
of it if dairy isn't recommended -- but when your tummy settles back in,
top a dish of cottage cheese with a couple spoonsful of applesauce.
It's better than it sounded to me the first time I was exposed to it as
a kid.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Rest in peace, Dad 12/15/1889 - 12/29/1951 I hardly knew you
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
12/29, The Soupification(C) of Scalloped Potatoes; Dottie
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Horowitz" > wrote in message

> During last year's flu season, the NG published a series of messages
> titled "What to feed a sick hubby". I set them aside knowing I'd need
> that sooner or later. Couple of weeks ago I found myself reaching for
> it. I modified it somewhat and added things related to my specific
> condition.
>
> There are those bugs which take away any appetite. My sympathy to you;
> I understand flat ginger ale and Gatorade may be all you can tolerate.
>
> What I had was violent cramping. No loss of appetite, so although the
> flat ginger ale is a good idea, it wasn't applicable. Since my
> appetite never failed, I kept eating. I may have gotten rid of the bug
> in a day, but my gut was sensitive and my regular eating did not
> improve things. After several days I figured out what was happened and
> limited myself to Gatorade and canned chicken broth with rice for 36
> hours. Everything improved and I tried some real food. Back to the
> bathroom and back to the broth and Gatorade.
>
> I read that boiled potato was just as helpful and non-irritating as
> rice. I also discovered soft-boiled eggs didn't bother me, nor did
> dry toast, so breakfast became two soft boiled eggs over boiled
> potato. Nice.

What you discovered is that of IBS sufferers, aka the BRAT diet. In other
words very bland food. Bananas, apple sauce (I hate apple sauce) rice and
tea. Extended to dry toast, plain eggs and nothing much with anything
added, especially not dairy. Plain potatoes, rice, dry cereal. No milk.
Welcome to the world of IBS. I love hot spicy food but can't eat it often.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 15:49:06 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Welcome to the world of IBS. I love hot spicy food but can't eat it often.
>
>Jill

Thank goodness IBS was not my ailment - Mike