FoodBanter.com

-   -   + Asian Food Experts: Source for "Silver Needle" or "Rat Tail" Noodles? + (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/111184-asian-food-experts-source.html)

Chris[_13_] 29-12-2006 03:14 AM

+ Asian Food Experts: Source for "Silver Needle" or "Rat Tail" Noodles? +

I've enjoyed a delicious soup at an Asian restaurant called P.F.
Chang's here in Los Angeles, which they call Pin Rice Noodle Soup.
I've been able to replicate the recipe with the exception that I can't
find the type of noodles that give the soup it's name. In doing a bit
of research on them, I've found these clues.

Pin rice noodles are also known as "silver needle" noodles, "silver
pin" noodles, or "rat-tail" noodles. Asian names include "mee tye
bak", "nen dzem fen", and "loh shee fun". They are a round rice noodle
and are usually home made. Any rice noodle will do as a substitute,
although round is preferred; Laksa noodles can also be used.

Armed with this information I have checked every large market and
Asian specialty market I can find, but have still come up empty. An
Internet search of was also unsuccessful. Does anyone know where they
are available? The texture of this noodle is an important part of the
dish. Any help would be appreciated.

____

Anti-spam measure in return address
Private replies to: cxp36 (at) yahoo.com

Ian MacLure 29-12-2006 07:13 PM

+ Asian Food Experts: Source for "Silver Needle" or "Rat Tail" Noodles? +

Chris > wrote in
:

> I've enjoyed a delicious soup at an Asian restaurant called P.F.
> Chang's here in Los Angeles, which they call Pin Rice Noodle Soup.
> I've been able to replicate the recipe with the exception that I can't
> find the type of noodles that give the soup it's name. In doing a bit
> of research on them, I've found these clues.

P. F. Changs? Chinese food for yuppies. Its a white table cloth
chain.

> Pin rice noodles are also known as "silver needle" noodles, "silver
> pin" noodles, or "rat-tail" noodles. Asian names include "mee tye
> bak", "nen dzem fen", and "loh shee fun". They are a round rice noodle
> and are usually home made. Any rice noodle will do as a substitute,
> although round is preferred; Laksa noodles can also be used.

Beg to differ. Silver needles are quite distinctive in texture.
Nothing quite like them I've ever seen.

> Armed with this information I have checked every large market and
> Asian specialty market I can find, but have still come up empty. An
> Internet search of was also unsuccessful. Does anyone know where they
> are available? The texture of this noodle is an important part of the
> dish. Any help would be appreciated.

My favo(u)rite dish in all the world involves silvery noodles
in a variant of Lo Mai Guy ( Sticky Rice commonly ) under glass.
Only ever seen it in three places though ( Montreal, Toronto,
and San Francisco ).

IBM