Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Made-up REC: Pasta with butternut and hazelnuts

I did this for dinner toniht, based on being tired, wanting something
simple after a big fancy dinner last night, and avoiding the stores
today.

1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 onion, roughly chopped
about 1/4 c olive oil
sea salt & pepper grinders
about 1 - 2 T rubbed sage
half a bag oriechette pasta and a third of a bag of campanelle pasta,
cooked
shaved parmesan-reggiano, about 2 oz
3 oz toasted hazelhuts, roughly chopped

Roast the butternut and onions, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled
with salt, pepper, and sage, for about 40 minutes at 425, til soft but
not falling apart.

Cook pasta (I used half stock, half water for flavor).

Toss with roasted vegetables and hazelnuts, and top with parmesan
shavings.

This was sooooooo good! I served it with a basic salad of raomaine,
raddichio, green bell pepper, tomatoes, and cucumber with homemeade
croutons and ranch dressing.

For dessert: the untouched leftover key lime pie, and the untouched
leftover gingerbread. 2 somebodies requested special dessert additions
for Christmas, and 2 somebodies ate the trifle (seconds, even!) I was
planning as our dessert prior to their requests, leaving everything
else abandoned and untouched.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:

> I did this for dinner toniht, based on being tired, wanting something
> simple after a big fancy dinner last night, and avoiding the stores
> today.
>
> 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into small cubes
> 1 onion, roughly chopped
> about 1/4 c olive oil
> sea salt & pepper grinders
> about 1 - 2 T rubbed sage
> half a bag oriechette pasta and a third of a bag of campanelle pasta,
> cooked
> shaved parmesan-reggiano, about 2 oz
> 3 oz toasted hazelhuts, roughly chopped
>
> Roast the butternut and onions, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled
> with salt, pepper, and sage, for about 40 minutes at 425, til soft but
> not falling apart.
>
> Cook pasta (I used half stock, half water for flavor).
>
> Toss with roasted vegetables and hazelnuts, and top with parmesan
> shavings.

Hmmm.... I've got about half an uncooked butternut squash in the fridge now;
I think I'll give that a try with a minor change: I've got whole sage leaves
rather than rubbed sage; I'll pan-fry them and sprinkle them over the pasta
with the parmesan. And I'll make fresh orechiette: It's the only pasta shape
I can make easily!

Bob