Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kale

On Dec 26, 6:18 pm, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:
>

> I made the kale recipe Christine posted. Very good.
>

> Michael

What does Kale taste like? My mom used to eat it, but I don't recall
her ever fixing it for us. Anything like turnip greens? Love those!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote:

> On Dec 26, 6:18 pm, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> > wrote:
> >

> > I made the kale recipe Christine posted. Very good.
> >

> > Michael
> >

> What does Kale taste like? My mom used to eat it, but I don't recall
> her ever fixing it for us. Anything like turnip greens? Love those!

I'm finishing the Zuppa Toscana now. I think the kale is tasteless and
adds leafy green color, not much more, At least in this recipe.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."

http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
12/23, stupid cookies
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:10:19 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
<snip>

>I'm finishing the Zuppa Toscana now. I think the kale is tasteless and
>adds leafy green color, not much more, At least in this recipe.

Hmmm, really? Maybe swiss chard would be better? Or perhaps spinach.
I'm gonna have to give that recipe a whirl, it sounds really good!

TammyM, wishing there were a little more rain in the forecast
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article . com>,
> "itsjoannotjoann" > wrote:
>
>> On Dec 26, 6:18 pm, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
>> > wrote:
>> >

>> > I made the kale recipe Christine posted. Very good.
>> >

>> > Michael
>> >

>> What does Kale taste like? My mom used to eat it, but I don't recall
>> her ever fixing it for us. Anything like turnip greens? Love those!

> I'm finishing the Zuppa Toscana now. I think the kale is tasteless and
> adds leafy green color, not much more, At least in this recipe.

Have you ever grown your own kale? It's totally different than the stuff in
the store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:10:19 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
> <snip>
>
> >I'm finishing the Zuppa Toscana now. I think the kale is tasteless and
> >adds leafy green color, not much more, At least in this recipe.

> Hmmm, really? Maybe swiss chard would be better? Or perhaps spinach.
> I'm gonna have to give that recipe a whirl, it sounds really good!

Kale has a fairly mild flavor. If cooked with strongly flavored
ingredients like sausage then the kale will be overwhelmed. I like
kale just minimally cooked with butter. For more strongly flavored
dishes use other greens, like mustard, turnip.

http://www.burpee.com/jump.jsp?itemI...ICLE&apage =1

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Dec 2006 13:32:16 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>TammyM wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:10:19 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> >I'm finishing the Zuppa Toscana now. I think the kale is tasteless and
>> >adds leafy green color, not much more, At least in this recipe.

>> Hmmm, really? Maybe swiss chard would be better? Or perhaps spinach.
>> I'm gonna have to give that recipe a whirl, it sounds really good!

>Kale has a fairly mild flavor. If cooked with strongly flavored
>ingredients like sausage then the kale will be overwhelmed. I like
>kale just minimally cooked with butter. For more strongly flavored
>dishes use other greens, like mustard, turnip.
>
>http://www.burpee.com/jump.jsp?itemI...ICLE&apage =1

Yes, I love sauteed kale, sometimes with a scattering of toasted pine
nuts on top. Very tasty indeed.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin' wrote"
> > "itsjoannotjoann" wrote:

> >> What does Kale taste like? My mom used to eat it, but I don't recall
> >> her ever fixing it for us. Anything like turnip greens? Love those!

> > I'm finishing the Zuppa Toscana now. I think the kale is tasteless and
> > adds leafy green color, not much more, At least in this recipe.

> Have you ever grown your own kale? It's totally different than the stuff in
> the store.

Different how? I grow kale most every year, I notice nothing different
from store bought. The only thing different when growing your own is
whether you apply chemicals, I don't so I often find holes in the
leaves from munching insects, and sometimes a few greenie catapiller
like thingies float to the surface in the pot (extra protein). But a
different plant, nope. And there are different varieties of kale
(blue, purple leaf, curly, etc.), but those are sold commercially as
well.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=38

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>> > I'm finishing the Zuppa Toscana now. I think the kale is tasteless and
>> > adds leafy green color, not much more, At least in this recipe.

>> Have you ever grown your own kale? It's totally different than the stuff
>> in
>> the store.

> Different how? I grow kale most every year, I notice nothing different
> from store bought. The only thing different when growing your own is
> whether you apply chemicals, I don't so I often find holes in the
> leaves from munching insects, and sometimes a few greenie catapiller
> like thingies float to the surface in the pot (extra protein). But a
> different plant, nope. And there are different varieties of kale
> (blue, purple leaf, curly, etc.), but those are sold commercially as
> well.
>
> http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=38
>
> Sheldon

Yah. OK, Sheldon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote on 27 Dec 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:10:19 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
> <snip>
>
> >I'm finishing the Zuppa Toscana now. I think the kale is tasteless and
> >adds leafy green color, not much more, At least in this recipe.

> Hmmm, really? Maybe swiss chard would be better? Or perhaps spinach.
> I'm gonna have to give that recipe a whirl, it sounds really good!
>
> TammyM, wishing there were a little more rain in the forecast

Try a cabbage version...That would add flavour and texture.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

> What does Kale taste like? My mom used to eat it, but I don't recall
> her ever fixing it for us. Anything like turnip greens? Love those!

I find (curly) kale tastes slightly bitter, but also sweet (after boiling it
for about 20-25 minutes). I use it in mash. Served with speck or bacon ,
(smoked) sausge and gherkins or mustad or piccalily. It's a classic winter
dish here in Holland (stamppot boerenkool).

It's one of my favorite meals.

Kale is sold frozen (great), in jars (yuck), fresh precut and in sometimes
fresh in bunches here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" > wrote

> Yes, I love sauteed kale, sometimes with a scattering of toasted pine
> nuts on top. Very tasty indeed.

My ex-mil would saute kale with pork chops. Loved that.
She used the frozen chopped kale.

I made the Olive Garden Tuscany soup years ago, I liked it
a lot. I could see using escarole in place of the kale. Easily.
In fact, I'll probably make that one of these days, soon, using
escarole.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 17:33:48 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"TammyM" > wrote
>
>> Yes, I love sauteed kale, sometimes with a scattering of toasted pine
>> nuts on top. Very tasty indeed.

>My ex-mil would saute kale with pork chops. Loved that.
>She used the frozen chopped kale.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, that sounds good!

>I made the Olive Garden Tuscany soup years ago, I liked it
>a lot. I could see using escarole in place of the kale. Easily.
>In fact, I'll probably make that one of these days, soon, using
>escarole.

I hadn't thought of that! I'm sure it would be even better with
escarole.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 14:31:00 -0800, sf wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 21:13:52 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>
>>TammyM, wishing there were a little more rain in the forecast

>A *little* more rain???? Sheesh, I couldn't sleep last night because
>of all the #!&% blinkin' wind and *rain*.

Yabbut, we haven't had much this season at all! And I didn't hear it
a bit, I had new windows installed all over the house and they cut
down considerably on outside noise. Besides, I love hearing the rain.

TammyM

ObFood:
Cajun Pork Tenderloin with Braised Greens

4 Servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes

Braised Greens:
3 slices bacon, thinly sliced
1 small red onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Pinch red pepper flakes
8 cups kale, roughly chopped
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus 1/4 cup
1 large tomato, diced
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
Pork:
2 tablespoons Cajun spice blend
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 pork tenderloins (about 14 ounces each), each halved crosswise
1/2 cup chicken stock
Store-bought dinner rolls or biscuits
For the beans: Cook the bacon over medium heat in a large skillet
until browned, about 6 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, oregano, salt,
pepper flakes and tomato, and cook until vegetables are tender, about
5 minutes. Stir in the kale and 1 1/2 cups broth, cover, cook until
wilted, about 8 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup broth and vinegar, and season
with salt and pepper, to taste.
For the pork: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine the Cajun spice, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and salt to
make paste. Rub the pork with spice paste. Heat a skillet over
medium-high. Add the remaining olive oil and sear the pork, turning
until all sides are golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes total. Roast
until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the meat registers 150
degrees F, about 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside for 5 minutes to rest on
a cutting board. Deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup chicken broth. Reduce a
little and swirl in 2 tablespoons butter. Thinly slice the pork,
divide among 4 plates. Drizzle with pan sauce and serve with the
greens and dinner rolls or biscuits.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Dec 2006 13:46:01 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>> Have you ever grown your own kale? It's totally different than the stuff in
>> the store.

>Different how? I grow kale most every year, I notice nothing different
>from store bought. The only thing different when growing your own is
>whether you apply chemicals, I don't so I often find holes in the
>leaves from munching insects, and sometimes a few greenie catapiller
>like thingies float to the surface in the pot (extra protein). But a
>different plant, nope. And there are different varieties of kale
>(blue, purple leaf, curly, etc.), but those are sold commercially as
>well.
>
>http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=38

My farmer granddaddy used to say "if the bugs won't eat it, why would
you want to do so?" :-)

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> I'm finishing the Zuppa Toscana now. I think the kale is tasteless and
> adds leafy green color, not much more, At least in this recipe.

Just in this recipe.

Actually, in Tuscany, they'd be much more likely using cavolo nero,
"black cabbage", grown only in Tuscany.

Here is a kale recipe I like which is fairly typical around here. I
posted it before.

Grünkohl-Eintopf mit Mettwürstchen und magerem Speck
Kale Stew with little Mettwurst sausages and lean Speck

For 4 servings

1 kg (2.2 pounds) kale
350-400 g (12-14 oz) potatoes
375 g (13 oz) lean Speck (or substitute smoked bacon from the belly)
2 onions
50 g (1.8 oz) goose schmalz
8 Mettwürstchen (real German smoked, coarse ones that tend to be tough
and chewy [but in a pleasant way])

Clean and thoroughly rinse the kale, blanch in salted water and chop
finely. Render the goose schmalz in a pot, add the kale, 250 g (8.8 oz)
Speck and some water, and cook for 30 minutes. Add the Mettwürstchen
and cook for 20 more minutes. Peel and separately cook the potatoes.
Meanwhile, dice the remaining Speck and the onions and cook in a pan
until the fat is rendered. Coarsely mash the potatoes and add them to
the kale. Mix in the rendered Speck and onions.

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > I'm finishing the Zuppa Toscana now. I think the kale is tasteless and
> > adds leafy green color, not much more, At least in this recipe.

> Have you ever grown your own kale? It's totally different than the stuff in
> the store.

I have not. It often gets planted as a landscaping plant here. I know
nothing from kale.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."

http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
12/23, stupid cookies
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>> > I'm finishing the Zuppa Toscana now. I think the kale is tasteless and
>> > adds leafy green color, not much more, At least in this recipe.

>> Have you ever grown your own kale? It's totally different than the stuff
>> in
>> the store.

> I have not. It often gets planted as a landscaping plant here. I know
> nothing from kale.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Try planting some so it matures in cool or frigid weather. It's amazing.
Sheldon says otherwise, but he's never actually grown it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote

> I have not. It often gets planted as a landscaping plant here. I know
> nothing from kale.

Do people eat ornamental kale? I had no idea.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
>
> >JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> >> Have you ever grown your own kale? It's totally different than the stuff in
> >> the store.

> >Different how? I grow kale most every year, I notice nothing different
> >from store bought. The only thing different when growing your own is
> >whether you apply chemicals, I don't so I often find holes in the
> >leaves from munching insects, and sometimes a few greenie catapiller
> >like thingies float to the surface in the pot (extra protein). But a
> >different plant, nope. And there are different varieties of kale
> >(blue, purple leaf, curly, etc.), but those are sold commercially as
> >well.
> >
> >http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=38

> My farmer granddaddy used to say "if the bugs won't eat it, why would
> you want to do so?" :-)

My sentiments exactly. I know my garden is healthy because of all the
moles, voles, toads, snails, bugs, and woims that thrive there. I
don't mind sharing with the wildlife... so what if the end of a zuke or
a cuke is chewed by a mouse or home for a beetle. I use no chemicals.
And the only fertilizer is from my compost bin. Okay, I have plastic
owls and noisy whirlygigs to keep the birds out, but I still need
netting to protect my berries.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote
>
>> I have not. It often gets planted as a landscaping plant here. I know
>> nothing from kale.

> Do people eat ornamental kale? I had no idea.
>
> nancy

No.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote
> >
> >> I have not. It often gets planted as a landscaping plant here. I know
> >> nothing from kale.

> > Do people eat ornamental kale? I had no idea.
> >
> > nancy

> No.

Bullshit.

Of course ornamental kale is edible, it's just not popular as a food
crop due to lack of regular availability and that the other forms more
easily lend themselves to farming as a food crop. Ornamental kale
tastes the same as the usual market varieties but is more often used as
garnish as cooking and/or freezing it destroys the vivid coloration so
it looks just ordinary. Ornamental kale also requires much colder
temperatures for developing the vivid coloration so it is not a
good/economical food crop. I've grown ornamental kale and have eaten
it, you can't tell the difference from ordinary kale other than it
loses the coloration from cooking.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...180/ai_6265889

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/new...3/nov0315.html

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote

> Of course ornamental kale is edible, it's just not popular as a food
> crop due to lack of regular availability and that the other forms more
> easily lend themselves to farming as a food crop. Ornamental kale
> tastes the same as the usual market varieties but is more often used as
> garnish as cooking and/or freezing it destroys the vivid coloration so
> it looks just ordinary.

Thanks! I wouldn't think to eat the stuff.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote
>
> > I have not. It often gets planted as a landscaping plant here. I know
> > nothing from kale.

> Do people eat ornamental kale? I had no idea.
>
> nancy

There you go. Didn't I say I don't know from kale? I didn't know the
purple and green stuff I see here is ornamental only.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."

http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
12/23, stupid cookies
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Sheldon" > wrote
>
>> Of course ornamental kale is edible, it's just not popular as a food
>> crop due to lack of regular availability and that the other forms more
>> easily lend themselves to farming as a food crop. Ornamental kale
>> tastes the same as the usual market varieties but is more often used as
>> garnish as cooking and/or freezing it destroys the vivid coloration so
>> it looks just ordinary.

> Thanks! I wouldn't think to eat the stuff.
>
> nancy

"Edible" doesn't mean people eat it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 02:21:30 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Sheldon" > wrote
>>
>>> Of course ornamental kale is edible, it's just not popular as a food
>>> crop due to lack of regular availability and that the other forms more
>>> easily lend themselves to farming as a food crop. Ornamental kale
>>> tastes the same as the usual market varieties but is more often used as
>>> garnish as cooking and/or freezing it destroys the vivid coloration so
>>> it looks just ordinary.

>> Thanks! I wouldn't think to eat the stuff.
>>
>> nancy
>>

>"Edible" doesn't mean people eat it.

The descriptive word was "ornamental" which implies "pretty, but don't
try to eat it".

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 04:06:10 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:

>I usually use it for soup. I really liked the recipe Christine posted. It
>was real tasty. I'll be leaving tomorrow. Love you all.

I hope you aren't talking about me..I haven't posted any recipe using
kale...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> Christine Dabney >
> :
>
> > On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 04:06:10 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>I usually use it for soup. I really liked the recipe Christine
> >>posted. It was real tasty. I'll be leaving tomorrow. Love you all.

> > I hope you aren't talking about me..I haven't posted any recipe using
> > kale...
> >
> > Christine

> Shoot. Wonder who it was then. It was good. Thought it was you.
>
> Michael

I posted a recipe for Zuppa Toscana that uses kale.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."

http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
12/23, stupid cookies
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 1>,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' >
> :
>
> > In article >,

> >> Have you ever grown your own kale? It's totally different than the
> >> stuff in the store.

> > I have not. It often gets planted as a landscaping plant here. I
> > know nothing from kale.

> I've got landscaping plants from kale. They are really purple. Very
> pretty. I would not eat them. They might taste bad. I plant them every
> fall. I also fertilize them. UGH. Same with cabbage. I love the fall
> look with the kale, cabbabe and other veggies. I buy my kale and cabbage
> from the store.

Me, too. I didn't realize that the stuff for landscaping use is maybe
different than for table use. But AFA fertilizer goes, most gardeners
fertilize with *something*. Mom used to dust cabbage with white powder
to shoo or kill the cabbage worms. We peeled off the leaves, washed the
cabbage and ate it.

Kale notbob General Cooking 69 20-01-2017 07:41 PM
Kale zxcvbob General Cooking 35 18-02-2013 02:50 AM
Kale and a local locoavore's recipe...using kale and garlicscapes ImStillMags General Cooking 1 01-07-2010 04:39 AM
Got my kale! Julie Bove Diabetic 4 23-03-2009 02:55 PM
Kale sf General Cooking 8 19-02-2006 10:18 PM