Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

Default Shrimp, today's chicken.

With farmed shrimp from Asia, it's no longer a luxury food. AYCE
Chinese buffets now have as much shrimp dishes as they used to have
chicken dishes.

Would be wonderful if someday soon they make farmed lobster, oyster,
blue crap, etc. as cheap as shrimp.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

James wrote:
> With farmed shrimp from Asia, it's no longer a luxury food. AYCE
> Chinese buffets now have as much shrimp dishes as they used to have
> chicken dishes.
>
> Would be wonderful if someday soon they make farmed lobster, oyster,
> blue crap, etc. as cheap as shrimp.

I'll pass on the blue crap.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

James wrote:
> With farmed shrimp from Asia, it's no longer a luxury food. AYCE
> Chinese buffets now have as much shrimp dishes as they used to have
> chicken dishes.
>
> Would be wonderful if someday soon they make farmed lobster, oyster,
> blue crap, etc. as cheap as shrimp.

Oyster had been farmed for generations in Japan, but it was for pearls,
not for food.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"James" > wrote:

> With farmed shrimp from Asia, it's no longer a luxury food. AYCE
> Chinese buffets now have as much shrimp dishes as they used to have
> chicken dishes.
>
> Would be wonderful if someday soon they make farmed lobster, oyster,
> blue crap, etc. as cheap as shrimp.

<raises eyebrows> Blue crap?

Never heard of that. <G>

But I do agree.

I understand that there was a flirtation with farming abalone at one
time, and I thought that Oysters _were_ farmed but they are too damned
expensive still for me to enjoy more than every couple of years. (they
run about $9.00 per lb. shelled and right now, I can get King Crab legs
for $10.00 per lb. and I like those better. <G>

I, too, would love to see Lobsters farmed!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Clearfield Consumer" > wrote:

> James wrote:
> > With farmed shrimp from Asia, it's no longer a luxury food. AYCE
> > Chinese buffets now have as much shrimp dishes as they used to have
> > chicken dishes.
> >
> > Would be wonderful if someday soon they make farmed lobster, oyster,
> > blue crap, etc. as cheap as shrimp.

> I'll pass on the blue crap.

It was a tempting typo no? <eg>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
" > wrote:

> James wrote:
> > With farmed shrimp from Asia, it's no longer a luxury food. AYCE
> > Chinese buffets now have as much shrimp dishes as they used to have
> > chicken dishes.
> >
> > Would be wonderful if someday soon they make farmed lobster, oyster,
> > blue crap, etc. as cheap as shrimp.

> Oyster had been farmed for generations in Japan, but it was for pearls,
> not for food.

Why cannot that be a "double" industry for both meat and pearls?
Why does the meat need to go to waste?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article om>,
> "James" > wrote:
>
> > With farmed shrimp from Asia, it's no longer a luxury food. AYCE
> > Chinese buffets now have as much shrimp dishes as they used to have
> > chicken dishes.
> >
> > Would be wonderful if someday soon they make farmed lobster, oyster,
> > blue crap, etc. as cheap as shrimp.

> <raises eyebrows> Blue crap?
>
> Never heard of that. <G>

You don't live in the East Coast by the Chesapeake Bay? Blue crap is
an industry in Baltimore.

> But I do agree.
>
> I understand that there was a flirtation with farming abalone at one
> time, and I thought that Oysters _were_ farmed but they are too damned
> expensive still for me to enjoy more than every couple of years. (they
> run about $9.00 per lb. shelled and right now, I can get King Crab legs
> for $10.00 per lb. and I like those better. <G>

Wait until its on sale at $6.99/lb.

> I, too, would love to see Lobsters farmed!
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

Asian farmed shrimp is not so good for the environment, I am told. Mangroves
being cut down or some such thing.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> > I understand that there was a flirtation with farming abalone at one
> > time, and I thought that Oysters _were_ farmed but they are too damned
> > expensive still for me to enjoy more than every couple of years. (they
> > run about $9.00 per lb. shelled and right now, I can get King Crab legs
> > for $10.00 per lb. and I like those better. <G>

> Wait until its on sale at $6.99/lb.

I doubt I'll ever see it that cheap on the South Coast. :-(
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "Clearfield Consumer" > wrote:
>
> > James wrote:
> > > With farmed shrimp from Asia, it's no longer a luxury food. AYCE
> > > Chinese buffets now have as much shrimp dishes as they used to have
> > > chicken dishes.
> > >
> > > Would be wonderful if someday soon they make farmed lobster, oyster,
> > > blue crap, etc. as cheap as shrimp.

> > I'll pass on the blue crap.

> It was a tempting typo no? <eg>
> --
> Peace, Om

There is a fish called a crappie. I think it now has a nice pleasing
yuppie name, but that one escapes me<g>

maxine in ri
Merry Christmas and Merry Mithras

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

> I understand that there was a flirtation with farming abalone at one
> time, and I thought that Oysters _were_ farmed but they are too damned
> expensive still for me to enjoy more than every couple of years. (they
> run about $9.00 per lb. shelled and right now, I can get King Crab legs

I saw a nature show once about abalone, the way they mate was interesting,
when the lady gets in the mood she pumps millions of eggs into the water out
of those little holes that look like the fender of an old Buick Roadmaster,
when Mr. Abalone smells this, he reciprocates and then the tide does the
rest.

My thought was if you could prevent all of the fish from gobbling the little
floating bits and then prevent the otters and seals from munching on the
young, you could have a bumper crop.

I think the real expense would be to be to pump the sea water constantly for
4 or 5 years until harvest time.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

>>>James wrote:
>>>

>>>I'll pass on the blue crap.

>>It was a tempting typo no? <eg>
>>--
>>Peace, Om

> There is a fish called a crappie. I think it now has a nice pleasing
> yuppie name, but that one escapes me<g>
>
> maxine in ri
> Merry Christmas and Merry Mithras

I thought it might have been crappie too, until OP said
Baltimore, bingo, make that blue craB. We used to drive
from South PA. to go "crabbin". rent boat, buy eel, cut and
tie eel to line.
By noon, head home with bushel basket of really mad crabs
(live). Good eattin'

-larry / dallas
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"maxine in ri" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article . com>,

> > > I'll pass on the blue crap.

> > It was a tempting typo no? <eg>
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> There is a fish called a crappie. I think it now has a nice pleasing
> yuppie name, but that one escapes me<g>

It is delicious... I think they are also known as bluegill and/or
sunfish.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Roger Shoaf" > wrote:

> > I understand that there was a flirtation with farming abalone at one
> > time, and I thought that Oysters _were_ farmed but they are too damned
> > expensive still for me to enjoy more than every couple of years. (they
> > run about $9.00 per lb. shelled and right now, I can get King Crab legs

> I saw a nature show once about abalone, the way they mate was interesting,
> when the lady gets in the mood she pumps millions of eggs into the water out
> of those little holes that look like the fender of an old Buick Roadmaster,
> when Mr. Abalone smells this, he reciprocates and then the tide does the
> rest.
>
> My thought was if you could prevent all of the fish from gobbling the little
> floating bits and then prevent the otters and seals from munching on the
> young, you could have a bumper crop.

True.
Baby clams and other mollusks are part of what make up zooplankton iirc.

> I think the real expense would be to be to pump the sea water constantly for
> 4 or 5 years until harvest time.

It'd be more of a matter of just using the coastal lines and netting off
the beds.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
larry > wrote:

> I thought it might have been crappie too, until OP said
> Baltimore, bingo, make that blue craB. We used to drive
> from South PA. to go "crabbin". rent boat, buy eel, cut and
> tie eel to line.
> By noon, head home with bushel basket of really mad crabs
> (live). Good eattin'
>
> -larry / dallas

I think we all knew what he meant, but it was too much fun to let it go.
;-)

I agree, fresh caught crab is wonderful and even tho' blue crab is
tasty, I find it to be too much trouble.

I prefer Dungeness and it's been cheap all year for some reason, at
least the fresh frozen is but the asian market had live last weekend for
and excellent price.

If it is still that price in a couple of weeks, we might indulge. I had
other purchase priorities in the mean time.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25 Dec 2006 09:00:57 -0800, "maxine in ri" >
wrote:

>There is a fish called a crappie. I think it now has a nice pleasing
>yuppie name, but that one escapes me<g>
>
>maxine in ri
>Merry Christmas and Merry Mithras

In south Louisiana folks call them sac-au-lait.
--

modom

http://www.koyote.com/users/modom/home.html
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

James wrote:

> With farmed shrimp from Asia, it's no longer a luxury food. AYCE
> Chinese buffets now have as much shrimp dishes as they used to have
> chicken dishes.
>
> Would be wonderful if someday soon they make farmed lobster, oyster,
> blue crap, etc. as cheap as shrimp.

I'd rather by "local" if I can, i.e., American shrimp instead of
imported shrimp. But dang it, I can't find the it in the land-locked
central states (mid-west), so I'm stuck with what I can get.

Sky
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> " > wrote:
>
> > > I understand that there was a flirtation with farming abalone at one
> > > time, and I thought that Oysters _were_ farmed but they are too damned
> > > expensive still for me to enjoy more than every couple of years. (they
> > > run about $9.00 per lb. shelled and right now, I can get King Crab legs
> > > for $10.00 per lb. and I like those better. <G>

> > Wait until its on sale at $6.99/lb.

> I doubt I'll ever see it that cheap on the South Coast. :-(

Then come live in golden California where live dungeness crabs sell for
$2.99/lb and king crab legs sell for $6.99/lb. Of course, you have to
pay for it in other ways, like an apartment for $1,500/month or to buy
a house for $800,000.

> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> > > Wait until its on sale at $6.99/lb.

> > I doubt I'll ever see it that cheap on the South Coast. :-(

> Then come live in golden California where live dungeness crabs sell for
> $2.99/lb and king crab legs sell for $6.99/lb. Of course, you have to
> pay for it in other ways, like an apartment for $1,500/month or to buy
> a house for $800,000.

Always a trade-off eh? :-)

No thanks. I'll settle for my $1,600 per year property tax bill on .22
acres with a 1,400 square ft. 1 bath, 3 bedroom house. Still small but
big enough for the 2 of us.....

In California (coastal), it'd easily be 4 times that.

But salaries are higher also to compensate, at least partially?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article om>,
> " > wrote:
>
> > Omelet wrote:

> > > I doubt I'll ever see it that cheap on the South Coast. :-(

> > Then come live in golden California where live dungeness crabs sell for
> > $2.99/lb and king crab legs sell for $6.99/lb. Of course, you have to
> > pay for it in other ways, like an apartment for $1,500/month or to buy
> > a house for $800,000.
> >

> Always a trade-off eh? :-)
>
> No thanks. I'll settle for my $1,600 per year property tax bill on .22
> acres with a 1,400 square ft. 1 bath, 3 bedroom house. Still small but
> big enough for the 2 of us.....

For what you got, you'd be paying #2,000 - $2,500/month to rent or
$800,000 to buy. Of course, the .22 acre is extra, an additional half
million.

> In California (coastal), it'd easily be 4 times that.
>
> But salaries are higher also to compensate, at least partially?

For software engineer, $125,000 - $150,000 plus stock options and stock
purchase, and maybe bonus.

> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
" > wrote:

> > Always a trade-off eh? :-)
> >
> > No thanks. I'll settle for my $1,600 per year property tax bill on .22
> > acres with a 1,400 square ft. 1 bath, 3 bedroom house. Still small but
> > big enough for the 2 of us.....

> For what you got, you'd be paying #2,000 - $2,500/month to rent or
> $800,000 to buy. Of course, the .22 acre is extra, an additional half
> million.

Geez. My neighbor rents his place for $700.00 per month and it's similar
to mind except it has a fireplace. My property, with house, is valued at
around $72,000 for tax purposes.

> > In California (coastal), it'd easily be 4 times that.
> >
> > But salaries are higher also to compensate, at least partially?

> For software engineer, $125,000 - $150,000 plus stock options and stock
> purchase, and maybe bonus.

Lab Tech. MT(ASCP), 20 years.

About 53K.

Increase that by 50% for the benefit packages.

But King Crab legs run about $16.00 per lb. on average. $10.00 per lb.
is a good sale!

Gulf coast shrimp is affordable tho', as is blue crab.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:
>In article om>,
> " > wrote:

[ ... ]
>> Then come live in golden California where live dungeness crabs sell for
>> $2.99/lb and king crab legs sell for $6.99/lb. Of course, you have to
>> pay for it in other ways, like an apartment for $1,500/month or to buy
>> a house for $800,000.

California needs to do something about housing costs.

>Always a trade-off eh? :-)

>No thanks. I'll settle for my $1,600 per year property tax bill on .22
>acres with a 1,400 square ft. 1 bath, 3 bedroom house. Still small but
>big enough for the 2 of us.....

This week, I'll be mailing my property tax payment for the 960 sq,ft,
three bedroom one bath house on 1/8 acre--a whopping $205.32. It used
to be lower, but an automatic increase was institued a few years ago.

>In California (coastal), it'd easily be 4 times that.

Or worse.

>But salaries are higher also to compensate, at least partially?

Not necessarily. That's why there are so many people commuting two hours
each way by car--and some commuting by their own airplane.

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Astronomers have developed a definition of "planet" which excludes Pluto.
I'm developing a definition of "scientist" which excludes astronomers.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
(Gary Heston) wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
> >In article om>,
> > " > wrote:

> [ ... ]
> >> Then come live in golden California where live dungeness crabs sell for
> >> $2.99/lb and king crab legs sell for $6.99/lb. Of course, you have to
> >> pay for it in other ways, like an apartment for $1,500/month or to buy
> >> a house for $800,000.

> California needs to do something about housing costs.

Agreed... but if the traffic bears it. <sigh>
That's the problem.

> >Always a trade-off eh? :-)

> >No thanks. I'll settle for my $1,600 per year property tax bill on .22
> >acres with a 1,400 square ft. 1 bath, 3 bedroom house. Still small but
> >big enough for the 2 of us.....

> This week, I'll be mailing my property tax payment for the 960 sq,ft,
> three bedroom one bath house on 1/8 acre--a whopping $205.32. It used
> to be lower, but an automatic increase was institued a few years ago.

And you are where?

> >In California (coastal), it'd easily be 4 times that.

> Or worse.
>
> >But salaries are higher also to compensate, at least partially?

> Not necessarily. That's why there are so many people commuting two hours
> each way by car--and some commuting by their own airplane.
>

> Gary

Airplane? Ok. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

Clearfield Consumer wrote:
> James wrote:
> > With farmed shrimp from Asia, it's no longer a luxury food. AYCE
> > Chinese buffets now have as much shrimp dishes as they used to have
> > chicken dishes.
> >
> > Would be wonderful if someday soon they make farmed lobster, oyster,
> > blue crap, etc. as cheap as shrimp.

> I'll pass on the blue crap.

ROFL Obviously I don't check the crab before I post.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> On 25 Dec 2006 09:00:57 -0800, "maxine in ri" >
> wrote:
> >
> >There is a fish called a crappie. I think it now has a nice pleasing
> >yuppie name, but that one escapes me<g>

> In south Louisiana folks call them sac-au-lait.

Calico Bass, I've seen on specials boards before.

I can't remember seeing anyone serve Speckled Perch before, though.

--Blair

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
> I'd rather by "local" if I can, i.e., American shrimp instead of
> imported shrimp. But dang it, I can't find the it in the land-locked
> central states (mid-west), so I'm stuck with what I can get.

Saw a tawdry jingoistic commercial for the American Shrimp Growers or
somesuch for the first time last night. No doubt it'll be on several
more times
before anyone realizes that farmed Asian shrimp are no worse than gulf
shrimp.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

snippage, including headers trimmed

> I, too, would love to see Lobsters farmed!
> --
> Peace, Om

Om, you might be amazed just how much husbandry is being done with Lobster
these days. A wild caught lobster of legal size may spend 3 to 8 months
in a natural or artificial " pound", being fed a "lobster chow" with the
Purina label. ( my cousin Herb helped to develop this lobster feed). They
can be held in these conditions for a while, even over winter, and
marketed when the price is right for a net weight gain and profit.

Some lobster sprat ( from these "empounded" lobster )are laboratory
raised to better viability size and used to seed certain research areas of
the Maine Coast , hopefully to provide more catch as well as information
about lobster movement and travel.

All lobster caught for sale , imported into, or through, the State of
Maine must be within a certified min/max size range, measured by inches
from the eye socket to the carapace/tail joint. Outside that size range
they are illegal to keep or sell or possess, no matter where they were
caught.

Visibly eggbearing female lobsters must NOT be kept for sale, they MUST have
a notch cut in their central tail fin and be returned to the sea. They are
breeders for that season. As they moult, their shells will return to normal
and they may be caught/kept when ( in another season) the tail fin is no
longer notched AND they are not eggbearing.

A barely marketable lobster ( called a "chicken'), weighing about one #,
is approximately 7 years old.

The lobsterin' industry is quite active and vocal in taking care of
themselves and their catch-- and their long term viability/profit.

Google on search term " The Lobster Institute" for lots of info.
Before The Lobster Institute was fully funded and adopted by the University
of Maine, one of the earliest lobster research facilities was located in
Hancock, Maine- at Tidal Falls Lobster Pound. Herb Hodgkins and Bob Bayer
( Seal Point, Lamoine), joined forces, and both still work the point for
lobster-fishers.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure, and I'm sorry for boring you with
gory details.

Sue
in Maine, proud of her family heritage that continues on the water and might
wind up on your plate.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in
news
> In article .com>,
> "maxine in ri" > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>> > It was a tempting typo no? <eg>
>> > --
>> > Peace, Om

>> There is a fish called a crappie. I think it now has a nice pleasing
>> yuppie name, but that one escapes me<g>
>>

> It is delicious... I think they are also known as bluegill and/or
> sunfish.

According to Wikipedia, crappie are in the same family as sunfish, but a
different species.
"Other names for crappies are papermouths, calico bass, strawberry bass,
white perch, specks, sac-a-lait, and Oswego bass."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Sue Burnham" > wrote:

<snipped for space>

> Google on search term " The Lobster Institute" for lots of info.
> Before The Lobster Institute was fully funded and adopted by the University
> of Maine, one of the earliest lobster research facilities was located in
> Hancock, Maine- at Tidal Falls Lobster Pound. Herb Hodgkins and Bob Bayer
> ( Seal Point, Lamoine), joined forces, and both still work the point for
> lobster-fishers.
>
> More than you wanted to know, I'm sure, and I'm sorry for boring you with
> gory details.
>
> Sue
> in Maine, proud of her family heritage that continues on the water and might
> wind up on your plate.

That was interesting, thanks! :-)

The lobster industry is pretty smart about sustaining itself using
conservation, I knew that, but I did not know that they did seeding.....

Cool!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jeff > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote in
> news >
> > In article .com>,

> >> There is a fish called a crappie. I think it now has a nice pleasing
> >> yuppie name, but that one escapes me<g>
> >>

> > It is delicious... I think they are also known as bluegill and/or
> > sunfish.

> According to Wikipedia, crappie are in the same family as sunfish, but a
> different species.
> "Other names for crappies are papermouths, calico bass, strawberry bass,
> white perch, specks, sac-a-lait, and Oswego bass."

Cool. :-)

Perch was one of the more common names I'd forgotten about. Thanks!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
> > In article . com>,

> > > I'll pass on the blue crap.

> > It was a tempting typo no? <eg>
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> There is a fish called a crappie. I think it now has a nice pleasing
> yuppie name, but that one escapes me<g>
>
> maxine in ri
> Merry Christmas and Merry Mithras

Bream, brim, bluegill are related. Some resources* say these are
"other names" that are probably what you're referring to: speckled
perch, specks, papermouth, bachelor perch, calico bass, silver,
strawberry bass, or white perch.

*http://worldkigo2005.blogspot.com/20...omoxis-05.html

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

Many years ago, rainbow trout from Japan were available in the freezer
section of Canadian supermarkets. They were grown in sewage but placed in
fresh water a few weeks before harvest. They didn't taste very good to me.
Maybe today, Asian countries are raising crustaceans in the same way. I have
tasted the cheap shrimp from the supermakets and was not impressed. Some
recent revelations from China about their methods of making soy sauce and
production of industrial fats makes me quite sceptical. Anyone know how
these cheap Asian shrimp are raised?

F.J.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

fudge wrote:
> Many years ago, rainbow trout from Japan were available in the freezer
> section of Canadian supermarkets. They were grown in sewage but placed in
> fresh water a few weeks before harvest. They didn't taste very good to me.
> Maybe today, Asian countries are raising crustaceans in the same way. I have
> tasted the cheap shrimp from the supermakets and was not impressed. Some
> recent revelations from China about their methods of making soy sauce and
> production of industrial fats makes me quite sceptical. Anyone know how
> these cheap Asian shrimp are raised?
>
> F.J.

Raised chock full with antibiotics just like American beef or other
factory raised meat.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 11:33:11 -0600, a day that will live in infamy,
Omelet stood on a soapbox and proclaimed:
:
:I agree, fresh caught crab is wonderful and even tho' blue crab is
:tasty, I find it to be too much trouble.
:
Justin Wilson said it best: He said that when he ate crabs, he just got
tired before he got full.

BTDT, but boyyyyy is it worth it, especially when the crabs are fresh
out the water and just steamed... yummmmmmmmmmmm.

God, I miss my river house.
--
RivahCat >^..^<
"IN BAST WE TRUST"

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

Fudge asked: Anyone know how
these cheap Asian shrimp are raised?

No, but I would like to. At the buffets, there is a very distinct difference
in flavor from one restaurant to another. I am wondering if it is a process
like our clams go through to clean them that is not eliminating a bad taste
or perhaps is giving it one - or maybe they didn't clean them in the first
place.

"fudge" > wrote in message
> Many years ago, rainbow trout from Japan were available in the freezer
> section of Canadian supermarkets. They were grown in sewage but placed in
> fresh water a few weeks before harvest. They didn't taste very good to me.
> Maybe today, Asian countries are raising crustaceans in the same way. I
> have
> tasted the cheap shrimp from the supermakets and was not impressed. Some
> recent revelations from China about their methods of making soy sauce and
> production of industrial fats makes me quite sceptical. Anyone know how
> these cheap Asian shrimp are raised?
>
> F.J.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

"fudge" > wrote in message ...
> Anyone know how
> these cheap Asian shrimp are raised?
>
> F.J.

Shortly after being hatched, the baby shrimpet has its antennae and
backfin clipped off. These mutilations are done without anesthesia,
to reduce injuries when stressed shrimp are driven to crazed fighting.

The shrimp are crowded into warehouses containing thousands of tiny
fishbowls, so small that each shrimp can hardly move. Pushed beyond
their biological limits, millions of shrimp die every year before
reaching slaughter weight. These infant shrimp mortalities end up in
all-you-can-eat buffets.

The remaining shrimp are kept tranquil by being forced to watch
round-the-clock reruns of Sea Hunt, superimposed with Chinese subtitles,
on multiple grainy black and white TV monitors.

When the shrimp have been sufficiently fattened, they are stunned when
the TV's switch over to "Free Willy". At this point the shrimp are
decapitated, de-veined, and boiled, steamed, and fried.

Don

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
RivahCat > wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 11:33:11 -0600, a day that will live in infamy,
> Omelet stood on a soapbox and proclaimed:
> :
> :I agree, fresh caught crab is wonderful and even tho' blue crab is
> :tasty, I find it to be too much trouble.
> :
> Justin Wilson said it best: He said that when he ate crabs, he just got
> tired before he got full.
>
> BTDT, but boyyyyy is it worth it, especially when the crabs are fresh
> out the water and just steamed... yummmmmmmmmmmm.
>
> God, I miss my river house.

Ever steam them in sea water?
I've read about it but never tried it.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,soc.culture.china,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Don K > wrote:
[ ... ]
>The remaining shrimp are kept tranquil by being forced to watch
>round-the-clock reruns of Sea Hunt, superimposed with Chinese subtitles,
>on multiple grainy black and white TV monitors.

[ ... ]

Nice writeup. I watched Sea Hunt when it was originally broadcast. No
idea why there hasn't been a similar series since then.

Do you remember what Lloyds' favorite TV show was?

:-)

Gary