Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Is This A Good Plan For Tomorrow ???

I'm planning to make a fruit salad tomorrow to bring
over to Mom's house for Christmas. However, only
after buying the ingrediants did I realize that this
is a wholly new recipe, not even close to anything
I've ever made before. Therefore constructive comments
(hah!) would be appreciated.

I'm planning on combining peeled and cut-up chunks
of two ripe mangoes, two Asian pears, and two
chayote squash. I'll take a whole bottle of TJ's
balsamic vinegar and reduce it to a syrup, and use
that for a dressing. Does anybody see a flaw in
that plan?

Sources of concern a a) I've never made a
fruit salad of any type before (though I've eaten
them) and b) I've never reduced balsamic vinegar
before, nor eaten anything with a reduction of
balsamic vinegar. I saw Lidia Bastianich do it
on TV, which gave me the idea.

I have eaten raw, peeled, and sliced chayote
squash drizzled with balsamic vinegar straight
from the bottle, and that is a good combination.
That's what gave me the idea of making this salad.
That, plus I bought the vinegar a couple months
ago on a whim, haven't opened it, and it is
apparent I won't be using it in my normal
cooking. (In the past, I would add it to beer,
but I stopped drinking beer a few months ago
when the supermarket I frequent stopped carrying
my brand.)

The vinegar in question comes in a small square
bottle -- TJ's carries a few types, and this
is the one that seems especially good for a
low-priced balsamic vinegar.

I'm considering poaching some of TJ's dried
wild blueberries in the vinegar while reducing it
and adding those to the salad, but that seems
like too much of a risk. I'm already venturing
far enough into uncharted territory. I've
already got the blueberries, so it would be
no effort to change my mind, though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manual Toothbrushes Manufacturer - Yangzhou Shuguang Toothbrush Factory
http://www.xanga.com/sgtoothbrush , http://www.sunrisebrush.com ,
http://www.chinabboss.com , http://20six.co.uk/sgtoothbrush ,
http://www.xanga.com/sunrisebrush , http://sgtoothbrush.livejournal.com

Wooden Cedar Shoe Trees & Insoles Manufacturer - China Toplevel
Co.,Limited
http://www.xanga.com/shoetrees , http://www.xanga.com/shoetree ,
http://www.toplevel.net.cn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I have eaten raw, peeled, and sliced chayote
> squash drizzled with balsamic vinegar straight
> from the bottle, and that is a good combination.

Reducing the vinegar does not substantially change the flavor. I think
you'll be fine.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Mark Thorson" > schreef in bericht
> I'm planning to make a fruit salad tomorrow to bring
> over to Mom's house for Christmas. However, only
> after buying the ingrediants did I realize that this
> is a wholly new recipe, not even close to anything
> I've ever made before. Therefore constructive comments
> (hah!) would be appreciated.
>
> I'm planning on combining peeled and cut-up chunks
> of two ripe mangoes, two Asian pears, and two
> chayote squash. I'll take a whole bottle of TJ's
> balsamic vinegar and reduce it to a syrup, and use
> that for a dressing. Does anybody see a flaw in
> that plan?
>
> Sources of concern a a) I've never made a
> fruit salad of any type before (though I've eaten
> them) and b) I've never reduced balsamic vinegar
> before, nor eaten anything with a reduction of
> balsamic vinegar. I saw Lidia Bastianich do it
> on TV, which gave me the idea.
>
> I have eaten raw, peeled, and sliced chayote
> squash drizzled with balsamic vinegar straight
> from the bottle, and that is a good combination.
> That's what gave me the idea of making this salad.
> That, plus I bought the vinegar a couple months
> ago on a whim, haven't opened it, and it is
> apparent I won't be using it in my normal
> cooking. (In the past, I would add it to beer,
> but I stopped drinking beer a few months ago
> when the supermarket I frequent stopped carrying
> my brand.)
>
> The vinegar in question comes in a small square
> bottle -- TJ's carries a few types, and this
> is the one that seems especially good for a
> low-priced balsamic vinegar.
>
> I'm considering poaching some of TJ's dried
> wild blueberries in the vinegar while reducing it
> and adding those to the salad, but that seems
> like too much of a risk. I'm already venturing
> far enough into uncharted territory. I've
> already got the blueberries, so it would be
> no effort to change my mind, though.

I think the reduced BV might be quite intense - I'd dress the salad
carefully, and taste it before adding too much dressing.

I'd also not put any fruit into the reducing vinegar. A hard boil would do
most fruits more harm than good. I'd either poach the fruit spearately or
not poach it at all. Or throw it into the already-reduced vinegar while it;s
still hot (or near the end of reduction).

HTH.

Time to Plan The Joneses Preserving 0 08-02-2007 10:52 PM
I want to send someone poop...good plan? Adam Funk Barbecue 13 26-09-2006 05:34 PM
I want to send someone poop...good plan? Alan Truism General 0 15-09-2006 06:48 PM
HELP with menu plan hammer General Cooking 8 22-12-2005 03:43 AM
Vineyard harvest plan - how to plan and control supply from many small vineyards New start Winemaking 1 24-01-2005 11:14 PM