Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REQ: Smooth Deviled Egg "Innards"

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 19:27:48 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
>*do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
>potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
>lumps. Any suggestions?

I think we went over this before..but try a ricer.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
*do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
lumps. Any suggestions?

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Deviled Eggs

appetizers

6 eggs, hard boiled, peeled
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash pepper
paprika

Slice eggs in half and put yolks in a small bowl. Combine the next 5
ingredients and mash together well until smooth. Drop by teaspoonsful
into egg. Sprinkle with paprika.

Terry Pulliam Burd

--
"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Smooth Deviled Egg "Innards"

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
> *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
> potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
> lumps. Any suggestions?

Terry, have you tried mashing the yolks with a fork BEFORE mixing in any
other ingredients? I do that and the mix ends up pretty silky.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
>I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
> *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
> potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
> lumps. Any suggestions?

> Terry Pulliam Burd

A food processor will get them nice and smooth. I rarely make less than 20
eggs at a time when I make deviled eggs and the food processor makes them
really fast and easy and nice and smooth.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
> *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
> potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
> lumps. Any suggestions?

Wand blender after the other ingredients are added.

You can also start by running the yolks thru a ricer to start with, but
that's a bit messy.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> Terry, have you tried mashing the yolks with a fork BEFORE mixing in any
> other ingredients? I do that and the mix ends up pretty silky.

I'll second that. It's what I do and have never had a grainy end
product. Moosh 'em well with a fork and stir in the mayo. Use the same
fork for easy cleanup. Frankly, that's all I do other than pipe them
back into the white and sprinkle on a little paprika if I can find any.
I'm a minimalist, but the end product goes quickly at parties.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Sat, 23 Dec 2006 19:27:48 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd

>asked:
>I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do
>say so myself (and I *do*!), but cannot get the
>yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a potato masher, electric
>mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get lumps. Any
>suggestions?------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>I think we went over this before..but try a ricer.
>Christine

I use a fine hand held grater for the egg yolks then a small hand whip
for mixing.
Comes out perfect every time.

Got this tip one day while reading The Art Of White Trash Cooking at
local library.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
> *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
> potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
> lumps. Any suggestions?

pushing through a small sieve or tea strainer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
> *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
> potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
> lumps. Any suggestions?

I've never had any problems using my Kitchenaid hand mixer (has wire
beaters) I add pickle relish to my deviled eggs, so if there weren't silky
smooth I think the pickle bits would cover that up (but they don't have to
because they are smooth)

I basically use mayonnaise, yellow hotdog mustard, and sweet pickle relish,
in no particular ratio to the egg yolks.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
>I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
> *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
> potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
> lumps. Any suggestions?
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Deviled Eggs
>
> appetizers
>
> 6 eggs, hard boiled, peeled
> 1/4 cup mayonnaise
> 1 teaspoon vinegar
> 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> dash pepper
> paprika
>
> Slice eggs in half and put yolks in a small bowl. Combine the next 5
> ingredients and mash together well until smooth. Drop by teaspoonsful
> into egg. Sprinkle with paprika.
>
> Terry Pulliam Burd

Personally, I like a little texture
Have you tried a food processor? That's what my aunt always used. Of course, she was
generally making 3 dozen eggs (6 dozen devilled) at a time.... ;-)

Merry Christmas and Happy Anythingelseyoumaybecelebratingatthistimeofyear.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 20:27:09 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 19:27:48 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:
>
>>I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
>>*do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
>>potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
>>lumps. Any suggestions?

>I think we went over this before..but try a ricer.

- or a sieve. that said, I get perfectly acceptable results from a
fork. I smash the yolks with the fork, add a little mayo.... smash
again. Maybe there are still some tiny lumps, but they are so small
it doesn't matter to me.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
> *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
> potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
> lumps. Any suggestions?

(recipe snipped)

It's a lot of work, but try pressing the cooked yolks through a fine
mesh strainer with the bottom of a spoon. That might do the trick (?).

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
> *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
> potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
> lumps. Any suggestions?

Perhaps you are cooking the eggs too long or with a temperature that
is too high. That may make the yolks sort of gummy and will not give
you a smooth filling. Boil them in barely simmering water and only
long enough to make the yolks hard, no more than fifteen to twenty
minutes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Any suggestions?

With back of spoon, push thru a fine mesh strainer available at
Williams Sonoma.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>> I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
>> *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
>> potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
>> lumps. Any suggestions?

> Terry, have you tried mashing the yolks with a fork BEFORE mixing in
> any other ingredients? I do that and the mix ends up pretty silky.

I finely cut the yolks with a pastry cutter, and then use an electric mixer
to beat in the other stuff. It's always very smooth. BTW, try adding some
finely chooped chives and a few shots of Tabasco sauce and lose the paprika
on top. I never measure the mustard and mayo, but perhaps you need to
consider adding a bit more mayo as needed to achieve the result you're
looking for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd said...

> I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
> *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
> potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
> lumps. Any suggestions?

Terry,

"Consistency ever follows flavor!" --A

The combining with mayo, etc., with a stick blender or a handheld mixer can
handle that.

You sound a bit neurotic about it, or rather, much ado about nothing.

Imho,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> > I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
> > *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
> > potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
> > lumps. Any suggestions?

> Terry, have you tried mashing the yolks with a fork BEFORE mixing in any
> other ingredients? I do that and the mix ends up pretty silky.
>
> --

That's my method, too, Dave, and I've never had any problems either.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> > I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
> > *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
> > potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
> > lumps. Any suggestions?
> >

> I've never had any problems using my Kitchenaid hand mixer (has wire
> beaters) I add pickle relish to my deviled eggs, so if there weren't silky
> smooth I think the pickle bits would cover that up (but they don't have to
> because they are smooth)
>
> I basically use mayonnaise, yellow hotdog mustard, and sweet pickle relish,
> in no particular ratio to the egg yolks.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

I mash the yolks first then add the other ingredients. I added a
little horseradish sauce to mine...a nice little bite....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Terry Pulliam Burd said...
>
> > I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
> > *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
> > potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
> > lumps. Any suggestions?

> Terry,
>
> "Consistency ever follows flavor!" --A
>
> The combining with mayo, etc., with a stick blender or a handheld mixer can
> handle that.
>
> You sound a bit neurotic about it, or rather, much ado about nothing.
>
> Imho,
>
> Andy

Andy's evil twin? <lol>

I had the same thought but did not voice it.
I never minded a slightly lumpy deviled egg filling......

but we do use the hand blender for ease and convenience.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <7Uujh.920$9H4.538@trndny07>,
"Janet Puistonen" > wrote:

> Dave Bugg wrote:
> > Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> >> I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
> >> *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
> >> potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
> >> lumps. Any suggestions?

> > Terry, have you tried mashing the yolks with a fork BEFORE mixing in
> > any other ingredients? I do that and the mix ends up pretty silky.

> I finely cut the yolks with a pastry cutter, and then use an electric mixer
> to beat in the other stuff. It's always very smooth. BTW, try adding some
> finely chooped chives and a few shots of Tabasco sauce and lose the paprika
> on top. I never measure the mustard and mayo, but perhaps you need to
> consider adding a bit more mayo as needed to achieve the result you're
> looking for.

All this talk of deviled eggs has made me decide to go ahead and take
some to the New Years party along with my usual caviar and olive cheese
logs. :-)

I have those 14" dark teak charger plates to use and they will hold
plenty. I'll finish the prep when I get there by sprinkling the paprika
on top......

I may even garnish with some basil.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 11:54:10 GMT, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

>Perhaps you are cooking the eggs too long or with a temperature that
>is too high. That may make the yolks sort of gummy and will not give
>you a smooth filling. Boil them in barely simmering water and only
>long enough to make the yolks hard, no more than fifteen to twenty
>minutes.

Good advice. I cook them for 10 minutes, take them off the heat and
let them sit in the hot water for another 10 minutes.... or until I
think about them again (whichever comes first). I will also venture
to say that it's easier to mash a cold yolk than a warm one.... I've
definitely noticed that warm yolks do have a gummy quality when you
try to mash them.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> Terry Pulliam Burd said...
>>
>> > I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
>> > *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
>> > potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
>> > lumps. Any suggestions?

>> Terry,
>>
>> "Consistency ever follows flavor!" --A
>>
>> The combining with mayo, etc., with a stick blender or a handheld mixer
>> can handle that.
>>
>> You sound a bit neurotic about it, or rather, much ado about nothing.
>>
>> Imho,
>>
>> Andy

> Andy's evil twin? <lol>

Uhm, hmmm... no, that's something I would say!!!

Now you've gone and given me an inferiority complex.

You love HIM more!! I KNEW IT! Dammit...

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 08:51:30 -0800, sf wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 11:54:10 GMT, Margaret Suran
> wrote:
>
>>Perhaps you are cooking the eggs too long or with a temperature that
>>is too high. That may make the yolks sort of gummy and will not give
>>you a smooth filling. Boil them in barely simmering water and only
>>long enough to make the yolks hard, no more than fifteen to twenty
>>minutes.

>Good advice. I cook them for 10 minutes, take them off the heat and
>let them sit in the hot water for another 10 minutes.... or until I
>think about them again (whichever comes first).

Wow...you all cook your eggs a very, very long time. I was taught by
my mother, and then by noted cookbook authors, to start them in cold
water, then when it reaches a boil, to turn off the heat. I start
timing them then, for about 10-11 minutes. It produces an egg that
is totally set, but not overdone. The yolks are nice and moist.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> >> You sound a bit neurotic about it, or rather, much ado about nothing.
> >>
> >> Imho,
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Andy's evil twin? <lol>

> Uhm, hmmm... no, that's something I would say!!!
>
> Now you've gone and given me an inferiority complex.
>
> You love HIM more!! I KNEW IT! Dammit...
>

> Andy

<winks>

That's a surprise???

%-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 10:36:29 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 08:51:30 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 11:54:10 GMT, Margaret Suran
> wrote:
>>
>>>Perhaps you are cooking the eggs too long or with a temperature that
>>>is too high. That may make the yolks sort of gummy and will not give
>>>you a smooth filling. Boil them in barely simmering water and only
>>>long enough to make the yolks hard, no more than fifteen to twenty
>>>minutes.

>>Good advice. I cook them for 10 minutes, take them off the heat and
>>let them sit in the hot water for another 10 minutes.... or until I
>>think about them again (whichever comes first).

>Wow...you all cook your eggs a very, very long time. I was taught by
>my mother, and then by noted cookbook authors, to start them in cold
>water, then when it reaches a boil, to turn off the heat. I start
>timing them then, for about 10-11 minutes. It produces an egg that
>is totally set, but not overdone. The yolks are nice and moist.

Not really, Chris. It's about 10 min or so total from cold water to
boil and another 10 sitting in the hot water off the heat. In fact,
sometimes even when I've let them sit so long the water cools
completely, they are barely done - so it works for me. I don't get
that green tinge around the yolk if that's what you're concerned
about.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> All this talk of deviled eggs has made me decide to go ahead and take
> some to the New Years party along with my usual caviar and olive
> cheese logs. :-)

Yeah, all the talk got me hooked, too. I'm making some for tonight's buffet.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> To reply, replace "spaminator" with "cox"

why not mash them seperate with a little oil, before you add the other
nasty stuff

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> All this talk of deviled eggs has made me decide to go ahead and take
> some to the New Years party along with my usual caviar and olive cheese
> logs. :-)

it's an ongoing joke in our family, whos going to bring the deviled
eggs
but the real joke is, who is gonna eat the deviled eggs

Ill try two of em, lemme see them bad boys

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> > Terry, have you tried mashing the yolks with a fork BEFORE mixing in any
> > other ingredients? I do that and the mix ends up pretty silky.
> >
> > --

> That's my method, too, Dave, and I've never had any problems either.
>
> kili

what about the hot searing gas they cause later, any problems with this?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
> *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
> potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
> lumps. Any suggestions?

Food processor? Stick blender doesn't sound right to me.
Deviled eggs, eh? Suddenly those sound very appealing to me! Maybe
I'll make a few to take north tomorrow.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."

http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
12/13, Gerri's tree
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
> *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
> potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
> lumps. Any suggestions?

> Terry Pulliam Burd

Seems to me I use the time-honored fork smoosh, but I pipe my filling
into the white.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."

http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
12/13, Gerri's tree
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 19:37:13 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>> I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
>> *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
>> potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
>> lumps. Any suggestions?

>Terry, have you tried mashing the yolks with a fork BEFORE mixing in any
>other ingredients? I do that and the mix ends up pretty silky.

Yup - I'm going to try the strainer technique in about 5 mins.

Thanx to all who replied. Except Andy who confuses perfectionism with
neuroticism ;-)

Terry Pulliam Burd

--
"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 08:51:30 -0800, sf wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 11:54:10 GMT, Margaret Suran
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Perhaps you are cooking the eggs too long or with a temperature that
> >>is too high. That may make the yolks sort of gummy and will not give
> >>you a smooth filling. Boil them in barely simmering water and only
> >>long enough to make the yolks hard, no more than fifteen to twenty
> >>minutes.

> >Good advice. I cook them for 10 minutes, take them off the heat and
> >let them sit in the hot water for another 10 minutes.... or until I
> >think about them again (whichever comes first).

> Wow...you all cook your eggs a very, very long time. I was taught by
> my mother, and then by noted cookbook authors, to start them in cold
> water, then when it reaches a boil, to turn off the heat. I start
> timing them then, for about 10-11 minutes. It produces an egg that
> is totally set, but not overdone. The yolks are nice and moist.
>
> Christine

That's how my husband taught me to do eggs, too, Christine, and it works. I
thought the old boil for 10 mins. or so thing was accurate, but this is fool
proof.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote

> Food processor? Stick blender doesn't sound right to me.
> Deviled eggs, eh? Suddenly those sound very appealing to me! Maybe
> I'll make a few to take north tomorrow.

I don't know what it is with deviled eggs. Hardly seems anything
to get excited about, but whenever I see them, or they are mentioned,
I gotta have some. So good.

De-viled eggs. Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 14:18:27 -0500, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message

I was taught by
>> my mother, and then by noted cookbook authors, to start them in cold
>> water, then when it reaches a boil, to turn off the heat. I start
>> timing them then, for about 10-11 minutes. It produces an egg that
>> is totally set, but not overdone. The yolks are nice and moist.
>>
>> Christine

>That's how my husband taught me to do eggs, too, Christine, and it works. I
>thought the old boil for 10 mins. or so thing was accurate, but this is fool
>proof.
>
>kili

I like it, cause the yolks aren't overdone... The eggs are fully
cooked, but the difference between eggs cooked longer, and these, are
night and day.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>>> I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
>>> *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
>>> potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
>>> lumps. Any suggestions?
>>>

>> I've never had any problems using my Kitchenaid hand mixer (has wire
>> beaters) I add pickle relish to my deviled eggs, so if there weren't silky
>> smooth I think the pickle bits would cover that up (but they don't have to
>> because they are smooth)
>>
>> I basically use mayonnaise, yellow hotdog mustard, and sweet pickle relish,
>> in no particular ratio to the egg yolks.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bob

> I mash the yolks first then add the other ingredients. I added a
> little horseradish sauce to mine...a nice little bite....

I sometimes sprinkle them with cayenne instead of paprika. Nobody suspects
a thing...

Best regards, ;-)
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> > I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
> > *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
> > potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
> > lumps. Any suggestions?

> Terry, have you tried mashing the yolks with a fork BEFORE mixing in any
> other ingredients? I do that and the mix ends up pretty silky.

That is the way I do it. I don't mash them right down to a mush.
I could, but I don't. I prefer them to have a little texture
variation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 10:36:29 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 08:51:30 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 11:54:10 GMT, Margaret Suran
> wrote:
>>
>>>Perhaps you are cooking the eggs too long or with a temperature that
>>>is too high. That may make the yolks sort of gummy and will not give
>>>you a smooth filling. Boil them in barely simmering water and only
>>>long enough to make the yolks hard, no more than fifteen to twenty
>>>minutes.

>>Good advice. I cook them for 10 minutes, take them off the heat and
>>let them sit in the hot water for another 10 minutes.... or until I
>>think about them again (whichever comes first).

>Wow...you all cook your eggs a very, very long time. I was taught by
>my mother, and then by noted cookbook authors, to start them in cold
>water, then when it reaches a boil, to turn off the heat. I start
>timing them then, for about 10-11 minutes. It produces an egg that
>is totally set, but not overdone. The yolks are nice and moist.

My favorite kind! I like a little bit of moisture left in the yolk.
Overcooking them leads to dry, chalky yolks.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 13:10:02 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>
>> I make some mighty tasty deviled eggs, if I do say so myself (and I
>> *do*!), but cannot get the yolks smooth, smooth, smooth. I've tried a
>> potato masher, electric mixer, your basic fork smoosh - still get
>> lumps. Any suggestions?

>> Terry Pulliam Burd

>Seems to me I use the time-honored fork smoosh, but I pipe my filling
>into the white.

'Swhat my mom does, and her devilled eggs are the BEST! In fact, I
really must write down her technique (no real recipes). The Old Girl
ain't gettin' any younger!

TammyM