Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default geez... another earthquake

So what does it mean when there's two identical earthquakes --
same epicenter, same depth, same magnitude -- two days
apart from each other?

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

> So what does it mean when there's two identical earthquakes --
> same epicenter, same depth, same magnitude -- two days
> apart from each other?
>
> S.

Deja Vu
All over again?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-12-23, Steve Pope > wrote:
> So what does it mean when there's two identical earthquakes --
> same epicenter, same depth, same magnitude -- two days
> apart from each other?

Better than one earthquake twice as strong.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> So what does it mean when there's two identical earthquakes --
> same epicenter, same depth, same magnitude -- two days
> apart from each other?
>
> S.

The fault line is degrading? Is California going to fall off into the
ocean?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Siemon > wrote:

>The third one just happened -- substantially less energetic than
>the two before...

>I take this as a good sign that the fault in question is easing
>before it needs a massive rip (and given that the epicenter is
>about a mile from me, that is a relief).

The third one felt smaller, but it was 3.5 (the first two
being 3.7) so not smaller by much.

All exactly the same geolocation.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to cook for IMPENDING DOOM (was: geez... another earthquake)

Qutoing from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayward_Fault

Since the 1906 San Andreas event there have been
no moderately strong earthquakes on the Hayward fault
as were seen before that earthquake. It also appears
likely that this quiet period in the earthquake shadow
is ending, as projected by the rate of plate motion
and the stress state of other faults in the region.

The following table chronologically lists all of the
historic earthquakes on the Hayward Fault Zone which
have exceeded magnitude 5.5. No earthquake of that
magnitude has occurred in the 20th or 21st centuries.

and . . .

Of all the region's large faults, the Hayward + Rodgers
Creek fault system is considered most likely to create
the next major destructive earthquake in the region.
Less-destructive earthquakes have been occurring in the
region at random 15 to 30 year intervals - typically
causing spillage of merchandise and occasionally,
structural failures in lower stories and chimneys.
This type of event is considered normal in California's
"Earthquake Country" by geologists and long term natives,
although disquieting to recent immigrants to the region.
A major event on either the Hayward or San Andreas could
produce a minute or more of intense shaking, as was felt
in the Kobe earthquake.

and . . .

A recent quiet period following many years of minor activity
is considered to be particularly ominous by many, although
geologists have not yet been able to predict earthquakes
with any useful accuracy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Well, aren't you just a breath of fresh air!

Quoting from:
http://eastbayexpress.com/issues/200...ure_print.html

"I've heard people say, and seen letters to the
editors in newspapers, that when we come out with
these earthquake forecasts and these probabilities
that we're trying to scare people and raise
money," Schwartz says. "You have to realize that
we're scientists and we're doing this as part of
our job, but we also live here. We have our
families and our homes and our investments, so
this is more than just calculating numbers. It
really impacts us on a very personal level, too.

> My argument would be that the smaller earthquakes relieve the
> pressure that would otherwise build up to a larger quake.

Quoting from:
http://eastbayexpress.com/issues/200...ure_print.html

A common misconception is that several small
earthquakes can somehow defuse or postpone
a more devastating one. Alas, it doesn't work
that way. Since every step up in magnitude
represents a 33-fold increase in a quake's
power, a 7.0 actually releases 1,089 times
(33x33) as much energy as a 5.0. At the
same time, each step up the scale represents
a tenfold drop in frequency of occurrence --
5.0 quakes, in other words, are a hundred
times more common than 7.0 quakes, but more
than a thousand times weaker. "If I wanted
to avoid a Loma Prieta magnitude 7 by knocking
off magnitude 5s, I'd need a thousand of them,"
Stein says. "If I wanted to do it with
magnitude 3s, I'd need a million of them.
We don't get that many small ones. You
wouldn't be able to drive your car if we
had a system in which small earthquakes did
the job of a big one, because you'd be
thrown over the road all the time."
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
> >
> > Well, aren't you just a breath of fresh air!

> Quoting from:
> http://eastbayexpress.com/issues/200...ure_print.html
>
> "I've heard people say, and seen letters to the
> editors in newspapers, that when we come out with
> these earthquake forecasts and these probabilities
> that we're trying to scare people and raise
> money," Schwartz says. "You have to realize that
> we're scientists and we're doing this as part of
> our job, but we also live here. We have our
> families and our homes and our investments, so
> this is more than just calculating numbers. It
> really impacts us on a very personal level, too.
>
> > My argument would be that the smaller earthquakes relieve the
> > pressure that would otherwise build up to a larger quake.

> Quoting from:
> http://eastbayexpress.com/issues/200...ure_print.html
>
> A common misconception is that several small
> earthquakes can somehow defuse or postpone
> a more devastating one. Alas, it doesn't work
> that way. Since every step up in magnitude
> represents a 33-fold increase in a quake's
> power, a 7.0 actually releases 1,089 times
> (33x33) as much energy as a 5.0. At the
> same time, each step up the scale represents
> a tenfold drop in frequency of occurrence --
> 5.0 quakes, in other words, are a hundred
> times more common than 7.0 quakes, but more
> than a thousand times weaker. "If I wanted
> to avoid a Loma Prieta magnitude 7 by knocking
> off magnitude 5s, I'd need a thousand of them,"
> Stein says. "If I wanted to do it with
> magnitude 3s, I'd need a million of them.
> We don't get that many small ones. You
> wouldn't be able to drive your car if we
> had a system in which small earthquakes did
> the job of a big one, because you'd be
> thrown over the road all the time."

Yeah, we're due for a huge one here in the PNW as well. My house is
stucco so we are screwed. 'Quake insurance only covesr 90% of the
value of the structure, and you have to pay 10% up front. For us
that's a huge chunk of change we'd have to cough up pretty quick.
Better than no quake insurance at all, but it sucks.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Michael Siemon > wrote:
>
> >The third one just happened -- substantially less energetic than
> >the two before...

> >I take this as a good sign that the fault in question is easing
> >before it needs a massive rip (and given that the epicenter is
> >about a mile from me, that is a relief).

> The third one felt smaller, but it was 3.5 (the first two
> being 3.7) so not smaller by much.
>
> All exactly the same geolocation.
>
> Steve

Yeah, I heard on the news that the possibility for a future major earthquake
there is inevitable. Can you just say, "Duh?" How stupid do these news
reporters think we are?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in
:

> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>> Michael Siemon > wrote:
>>
>> >The third one just happened -- substantially less energetic than
>> >the two before...

>> >I take this as a good sign that the fault in question is easing
>> >before it needs a massive rip (and given that the epicenter is
>> >about a mile from me, that is a relief).

>> The third one felt smaller, but it was 3.5 (the first two
>> being 3.7) so not smaller by much.
>>
>> All exactly the same geolocation.
>>
>> Steve

> Yeah, I heard on the news that the possibility for a future major
> earthquake there is inevitable. Can you just say, "Duh?" How stupid
> do these news reporters think we are?

They believe that we are stupid enough to believe what they tell us.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote
> "Steve Pope" > wrote

>> The third one felt smaller, but it was 3.5 (the first two
>> being 3.7) so not smaller by much.
>>
>> All exactly the same geolocation.

> Yeah, I heard on the news that the possibility for a future major
> earthquake
> there is inevitable. Can you just say, "Duh?" How stupid do these news
> reporters think we are?

One major reason I stopped watching the news. The formula,
report on some event, then without fail, could it happen here?
Is a worse (whatever) right around the corner?

Gee, thanks for that inspired "news" reporting.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 11:06:49 -0500, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>> Michael Siemon > wrote:
>>
>> >The third one just happened -- substantially less energetic than
>> >the two before...

>> >I take this as a good sign that the fault in question is easing
>> >before it needs a massive rip (and given that the epicenter is
>> >about a mile from me, that is a relief).

>> The third one felt smaller, but it was 3.5 (the first two
>> being 3.7) so not smaller by much.
>>
>> All exactly the same geolocation.
>>
>> Steve

>Yeah, I heard on the news that the possibility for a future major earthquake
>there is inevitable. Can you just say, "Duh?" How stupid do these news
>reporters think we are?

They're trying to scare middle america. It usually works.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 11:52:03 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>Gee, thanks for that inspired "news" reporting.

Newspapers are awful too. Most major news stories are very badly
written.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

>Newspapers are awful too. Most major news stories are very badly
>written.

About 10 years ago, newspapers quit using proofreaders who
knew grammar and usage. About 5 years ago, they quit doing
fact-checking altogether. (Including the NYT.)

To be fair, they're under enormous cost pressure and have
faced huge staff cuts. The heydey of the newspaper business
is long past.

S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote

> > wrote:
>
>>Newspapers are awful too. Most major news stories are very badly
>>written.

> About 10 years ago, newspapers quit using proofreaders who
> knew grammar and usage.

The other day there was a headline, $705,000 robbed.

So ... was the $705,000 shaken up after that scary event?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> About 10 years ago, newspapers quit using proofreaders who
> knew grammar and usage. About 5 years ago, they quit doing
> fact-checking altogether. (Including the NYT.)
>
> To be fair, they're under enormous cost pressure and have
> faced huge staff cuts. The heydey of the newspaper business
> is long past.

I'm fairly disgusted with my local paper's food section. They use a
local woman (The Augusta Chronicle and Karen Calloway) to do a weekly
article on simple food preparation. Perhaps a bit too many "convenience"
items so she borders a bit on Sandra Lee, y'know? I just about blew a
gasket when she had a recipe for pasta e fagiole....but called it "The F
Soup"!!! What the hell? If *she* can't pronounce it, she could have
researched it and shared with readers how to say it properly and done
something of a service to her readers. I was so annoyed by the "dumbing
down" of this. Even in dialect she could have explained is "pasta
fazool!" instead of "The F Soup"
<shakes head in disgust>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Here's a site which lists recent earthquakes in
Northern California:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...hp?y=2006&n=nc

Note that the address will change several days from now.

Click on an entry to get detailed maps and other
information about the earthquake. And then you die.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 14:53:21 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:
>
>> About 10 years ago, newspapers quit using proofreaders who
>> knew grammar and usage. About 5 years ago, they quit doing
>> fact-checking altogether. (Including the NYT.)
>>
>> To be fair, they're under enormous cost pressure and have
>> faced huge staff cuts. The heydey of the newspaper business
>> is long past.

>I'm fairly disgusted with my local paper's food section. They use a
>local woman (The Augusta Chronicle and Karen Calloway) to do a weekly
>article on simple food preparation. Perhaps a bit too many "convenience"
>items so she borders a bit on Sandra Lee, y'know? I just about blew a
>gasket when she had a recipe for pasta e fagiole....but called it "The F
>Soup"!!! What the hell? If *she* can't pronounce it, she could have
>researched it and shared with readers how to say it properly and done
>something of a service to her readers. I was so annoyed by the "dumbing
>down" of this. Even in dialect she could have explained is "pasta
>fazool!" instead of "The F Soup"
><shakes head in disgust>

Did you write to her, Goomba? I woulda. I've also written to my
local news station when they commit heinous acts against grammar. I
think they think I'm a kook and ya know what? I probably am, but I'm
an articulate kook (most of the time!)

TammyM, paying tribute to her high school English teacher, Miss
Lirette (god rest her soul)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

>> I'm fairly disgusted with my local paper's food section. They use a
>> local woman (The Augusta Chronicle and Karen Calloway) to do a weekly
>> article on simple food preparation. Perhaps a bit too many "convenience"
>> items so she borders a bit on Sandra Lee, y'know? I just about blew a
>> gasket when she had a recipe for pasta e fagiole....but called it "The F
>> Soup"!!! What the hell? If *she* can't pronounce it, she could have
>> researched it and shared with readers how to say it properly and done
>> something of a service to her readers. I was so annoyed by the "dumbing
>> down" of this. Even in dialect she could have explained is "pasta
>> fazool!" instead of "The F Soup"
>> <shakes head in disgust>

> Did you write to her, Goomba? I woulda. I've also written to my
> local news station when they commit heinous acts against grammar. I
> think they think I'm a kook and ya know what? I probably am, but I'm
> an articulate kook (most of the time!)
>
> TammyM, paying tribute to her high school English teacher, Miss
> Lirette (god rest her soul)

I did send a comment to the paper, but never heard from them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 16:10:58 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>TammyM wrote:
>
>>> I'm fairly disgusted with my local paper's food section. They use a
>>> local woman (The Augusta Chronicle and Karen Calloway) to do a weekly
>>> article on simple food preparation. Perhaps a bit too many "convenience"
>>> items so she borders a bit on Sandra Lee, y'know? I just about blew a
>>> gasket when she had a recipe for pasta e fagiole....but called it "The F
>>> Soup"!!! What the hell? If *she* can't pronounce it, she could have
>>> researched it and shared with readers how to say it properly and done
>>> something of a service to her readers. I was so annoyed by the "dumbing
>>> down" of this. Even in dialect she could have explained is "pasta
>>> fazool!" instead of "The F Soup"
>>> <shakes head in disgust>

>> Did you write to her, Goomba? I woulda. I've also written to my
>> local news station when they commit heinous acts against grammar. I
>> think they think I'm a kook and ya know what? I probably am, but I'm
>> an articulate kook (most of the time!)
>>
>> TammyM, paying tribute to her high school English teacher, Miss
>> Lirette (god rest her soul)

>I did send a comment to the paper, but never heard from them.

LOL! No, I never hear back either, but the mere writing of it makes
me feel better. The day NPR goes south, grammar-wise, is the day I
stick my head in the oven. NPR is the last bastion of the
well-spoken. In this country (USA), anyway.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Here's a site which lists recent earthquakes in
> Northern California:
>
> http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...hp?y=2006&n=nc
>
> Note that the address will change several days from now.

I've had this bookmark for a couple of years:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...quakes_all.php

They've changed the format a couple of times, but the link seems to
work all the time. Good for a browse when you're bored and want to see
what's shaking in the rest of the world.

> Click on an entry to get detailed maps and other
> information about the earthquake. And then you die.

--Blair
"Please send all death threats to GOP HQ."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> And A geologist was reported as saying the three quakes
> could be just a coincidence. Unrelated to each other.

Then he is not much of a geologist.

Earthquakes are the motion of material in and on the earth's crust.

Move the two sides of a fault, and, you alter the stresses that affect
the likelihood that another fault nearby or another part of the same
fault will go from static friction to kinetic friction.

Three earthquakes close enough together that you can't resolve them as
separate locations on the USGS's maps are almost certainly going to be
related.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> So what does it mean ...

there was two notches on the plate thingy

when plates far beneath the earth shift and rub together.. this makes
an earthquake

when two quakes are seemingly the same..
this just means there was 2 notches or splines on the same two plates
2 DAYS APART

simple. and it's a fact.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:
>
>> About 10 years ago, newspapers quit using proofreaders who
>> knew grammar and usage. About 5 years ago, they quit doing
>> fact-checking altogether. (Including the NYT.)
>>
>> To be fair, they're under enormous cost pressure and have
>> faced huge staff cuts. The heydey of the newspaper business
>> is long past.

>I'm fairly disgusted with my local paper's food section. They use a
>local woman (The Augusta Chronicle and Karen Calloway) to do a weekly
>article on simple food preparation. Perhaps a bit too many "convenience"
>items so she borders a bit on Sandra Lee, y'know? I just about blew a
>gasket when she had a recipe for pasta e fagiole....but called it "The F
>Soup"!!! What the hell? If *she* can't pronounce it, she could have
>researched it and shared with readers how to say it properly and done
>something of a service to her readers. I was so annoyed by the "dumbing
>down" of this. Even in dialect she could have explained is "pasta
>fazool!" instead of "The F Soup"
><shakes head in disgust>

I think she was going in a different direction.... "F" soup/"F"
word.... wooooo. Risque.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...

> They're trying to scare middle america. It usually works.

Middle America isn't the least bit scared of California earthquakes.
Missouri, on the other hand, makes us a little nervous.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 02:18:28 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>> So what does it mean when there's two identical earthquakes --
>> same epicenter, same depth, same magnitude -- two days
>> apart from each other?
>>
>> S.

>Deja Vu
>All over again?

Four in three days. My house is basically sitting right on top of
'em, too. I'm not afraid of earthquakes, but you'd better believe
this has me making sure my disaster kit is well stocked. :-)

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 09:50:46 -0600, "ms_peacock"
> wrote:

><sf> wrote in message ...
>
>> They're trying to scare middle america. It usually works.

>Middle America isn't the least bit scared of California earthquakes.
>Missouri, on the other hand, makes us a little nervous.

A "little" nervous? http://folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu/recenteqs/
Look at the section called Sand boils, liquefaction, disappearing
highways.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 09:50:46 -0600, "ms_peacock"
> > wrote:
>

>><sf> wrote in message ...
>>
>>> They're trying to scare middle america. It usually works.

>>Middle America isn't the least bit scared of California earthquakes.
>>Missouri, on the other hand, makes us a little nervous.
>>

> A "little" nervous? http://folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu/recenteqs/
> Look at the section called Sand boils, liquefaction, disappearing
> highways.

A little nervous because of low frequency. Being two states away helps a
little too.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default geez... another earthquake ON THE HAYWARD FAULT

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Here's a site which lists recent earthquakes in
> Northern California:
>
> http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...hp?y=2006&n=nc

And here's yesterday's earthquake:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...nc51177175.php

It's further south than last week's series,
but it's on the same fault. It's like rivets
popping on a seam between two plates. The
next one might be the one that causes the
whole thing to rip apart! And then you die.