Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A baking question (cupcakes specifically)

I read often but don't think I have ever posted to RFC until now. So pardon
if my question has been addressed before (I did search the archives and
didn't find a reference).

I was baking muffins this week and realized I had a variety of two kinds of
liners and was unsure if one is better than the other. I used both paper
liners and foil liners and didn't notice a difference in the baking quality,
time required, etc. Is there a difference I am not noticing? Or is there a
reason to prefer one type of liner over the other one?

Thanks

Cindi
(Baking layered strawberry cheesecake birthday cake and Big Fat yeast rolls
even as I type)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindi - HappyMamatoThree wrote:

> I was baking muffins this week and realized I had a variety of two kinds of
> liners and was unsure if one is better than the other. I used both paper
> liners and foil liners and didn't notice a difference in the baking quality,
> time required, etc. Is there a difference I am not noticing? Or is there a
> reason to prefer one type of liner over the other one?

I don't believe there is any functional difference although I recall
long ago there were some foil type liners that were supposedly usable
without a pan...?
I go for the cheapest and most attractive. I usually use simple paper
ones when I need them. If making muffins, I don't use them at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Cindi - HappyMamatoThree" > wrote:

> I read often but don't think I have ever posted to RFC until now. So pardon
> if my question has been addressed before (I did search the archives and
> didn't find a reference).
>
> I was baking muffins this week and realized I had a variety of two kinds of
> liners and was unsure if one is better than the other. I used both paper
> liners and foil liners and didn't notice a difference in the baking quality,
> time required, etc. Is there a difference I am not noticing? Or is there a
> reason to prefer one type of liner over the other one?
>
> Thanks
>
> Cindi
> (Baking layered strawberry cheesecake birthday cake and Big Fat yeast rolls
> even as I type)

If I recall correctly, the only real difference is cosmetic.

Use the liners that appeal to you visually.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindi - HappyMamatoThree wrote:

> I was baking muffins this week and realized I had a variety of two kinds of
> liners and was unsure if one is better than the other. I used both paper
> liners and foil liners and didn't notice a difference in the baking quality,
> time required, etc. Is there a difference I am not noticing? Or is there a
> reason to prefer one type of liner over the other one?

The foil liners are typically used for cold moulded desserts, not for
baking.

Your Subj. says "cupcakes specifically" but here you ask about
"muffins"... which is it?!?!? Cupcakes use liners, muffins do not. I
know some do use liners with muffins, especially stupidmarket muffins,
but liners absolutely ruin a perfectly good muffin by preventing a
crust from forming. So, if you show your recipe (you don't seem to
know the difference between a cupcake and a muffin) then perhaps
someone can help you.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindi - HappyMamatoThree wrote:

> I read often but don't think I have ever posted to RFC until now. So pardon
> if my question has been addressed before (I did search the archives and
> didn't find a reference).
>
> I was baking muffins this week and realized I had a variety of two kinds of
> liners and was unsure if one is better than the other. I used both paper
> liners and foil liners and didn't notice a difference in the baking quality,
> time required, etc. Is there a difference I am not noticing? Or is there a
> reason to prefer one type of liner over the other one?

You use liners for muffins?
I just pour the batter into the greased muffin tin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindi - HappyMamatoThree" > wrote

> I was baking muffins this week and realized I had a variety of two kinds
> of liners and was unsure if one is better than the other. I used both
> paper liners and foil liners and didn't notice a difference in the baking
> quality, time required, etc. Is there a difference I am not noticing? Or
> is there a reason to prefer one type of liner over the other one?

I used the foil ones when I didn't have a muffin tin. You can just
put a bunch on a baking sheet. I thought that's what they were for.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 17:44:49 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Cindi - HappyMamatoThree" > wrote
>
>> I was baking muffins this week and realized I had a variety of two kinds
>> of liners and was unsure if one is better than the other. I used both
>> paper liners and foil liners and didn't notice a difference in the baking
>> quality, time required, etc. Is there a difference I am not noticing? Or
>> is there a reason to prefer one type of liner over the other one?

>I used the foil ones when I didn't have a muffin tin. You can just
>put a bunch on a baking sheet. I thought that's what they were for.
>
>nancy

The foil liners are also very good for those little molten chocolate
cakes... They are very handy for making them way in advance and
freezing them..then baking them when you want...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I used the foil ones when I didn't have a muffin tin. You can just
>put a bunch on a baking sheet. I thought that's what they were for.

Every one I've see was for that purpose.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Cindi - HappyMamatoThree wrote:
>>
>> I was baking muffins this week and realized I had a variety of two kinds
>> of
>> liners and was unsure if one is better than the other. I used both paper
>> liners and foil liners and didn't notice a difference in the baking
>> quality,
>> time required, etc. Is there a difference I am not noticing? Or is there
>> reason to prefer one type of liner over the other one?

> The foil liners are typically used for cold moulded desserts, not for
> baking.

Thanks for that tip.

> Your Subj. says "cupcakes specifically" but here you ask about
> "muffins"... which is it?!?!? Cupcakes use liners, muffins do not. I
> know some do use liners with muffins, especially stupidmarket muffins,
> but liners absolutely ruin a perfectly good muffin by preventing a
> crust from forming. So, if you show your recipe (you don't seem to
> know the difference between a cupcake and a muffin) then perhaps
> someone can help you.

As I prepared the aformentioned muffins for a church function, I used the
liners for ease with children. Ever so sorry to use the term
interchangeably. I referenced cupcakes as the baking pan used is the same.

Cindi

> Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Cindi - HappyMamatoThree" > wrote
>
>> I was baking muffins this week and realized I had a variety of two kinds
>> of liners and was unsure if one is better than the other. I used both
>> paper liners and foil liners and didn't notice a difference in the baking
>> quality, time required, etc. Is there a difference I am not noticing? Or
>> is there a reason to prefer one type of liner over the other one?

> I used the foil ones when I didn't have a muffin tin. You can just
> put a bunch on a baking sheet. I thought that's what they were for.

I have never tried to use them sans the muffin/cupcake pan. I will have to
remember that.

Cindi

> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindi - HappyMamatoThree" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

>> I used the foil ones when I didn't have a muffin tin. You can just
>> put a bunch on a baking sheet. I thought that's what they were for.

> I have never tried to use them sans the muffin/cupcake pan. I will have to
> remember that.

I don't know where I learned about them, I do not make cupcakes.
One day a friend of mine got into a jam, too much to do and all of
a sudden she needed some 40 cupcakes for her kid's class the next
day. If I had a muffin tin, I sure didn't have enough to make that many
cupcakes in the time allotted. Voila, I got these foil things. My friend
was amazed by them until her mother told her they've been around
forever. (laugh)

That is my only experience with them. I think they even come with
paper liners just like if you were using a muffin pan.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Christine Dabney wrote:

> The foil liners are also very good for those little molten chocolate
> cakes... They are very handy for making them way in advance and
> freezing them..then baking them when you want...
>
> Christine

I have never seen anything like this. Recipe?

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Dec 2006 18:15:47 -0800, "-L." > wrote:

>Christine Dabney wrote:
>> >

>> The foil liners are also very good for those little molten chocolate
>> cakes... They are very handy for making them way in advance and
>> freezing them..then baking them when you want...
>>
>> Christine

> I have never seen anything like this. Recipe?
>
>-L.

Oh gosh..recipes for these are all over the place. I have tons of
recipes for them...

Do a google search for molten chocolate cakes...a search turns up
tonse of recipes for this. The best seem to use a ganache sphere in
the center, which melts when the little cakes are baked.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 19:26:39 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>Do a google search for molten chocolate cakes...a search turns up
>tonse of recipes for this. The best seem to use a ganache sphere in
>the center, which melts when the little cakes are baked.

You don't need a blob of granache in the middle. The liquid center is
due to a ton of chocolate, very little flour and under baking.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:41:13 -0800, sf wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 19:26:39 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:
>
>>Do a google search for molten chocolate cakes...a search turns up
>>tonse of recipes for this. The best seem to use a ganache sphere in
>>the center, which melts when the little cakes are baked.

>You don't need a blob of granache in the middle. The liquid center is
>due to a ton of chocolate, very little flour and under baking.

It is extremely easy to overbake these little cakes...and then the
center that was supposed to be molten is actually very well done.

The ganache center prevents this..so even if you overbake a bit, the
center is still molten.

Christine