Posted to rec.food.cooking
kaz kaz is offline

Default Sugar cookies

Big White Soft Sugar Cookies
Yield: 6 servings

1 c Buttermilk
1 1/2 c Sugar
1 1/2 ts Grated nutmeg
3 c Unbleached flour
1 ts Baking soda
2 Eggs
2 ts Vanilla extract
1 c Vegetable oil
1 1/2 ts Salt
3 ts Baking powder
Seedless raisins
Sugar

In a measuring cup, mix the buttermilk and baking soda; set aside.
In
a large mixer bowl, combine the oil, sugar, and eggs; mix well. Add
the buttermilk-soda mixture and blend. Then add the salt, nutmeg,
vanilla, and baking powder and mix again. Blend in the flour (the
batter will be very runny). Cover and refrigerate overnight. The
next day, preheat oven to 400 F. For the very best results, use
un-greased non-stick baking sheets. Dark or shiny sheets conduct the
heat differently, and the cookie will have crisp brown edges, which
are just what you don't want. Use 1 heaping tablespoon of batter per
cookie, and place them on the sheets. Liberally sprinkle more sugar
on top of each cookie and dot with 3 raisins. Keep batter
refrigerated between bakings. Bake for just 5 minutes. The cookies
should be just barely done--still almost white. If they are golden,
you have left them in too long. Remove from oven, and allow the
cookies to remain on the cookie sheet for 3 more minutes to continue
baking. Carefully remove cookies with a metal spatula to a wax
paper-covered rack to cool. The cookies keep well in tightly covered
containers or can be frozen. In either case, each cookie should be
wrapped individually or between layers of wax paper. They are so
tender, so moist, so cake like that they cling together if this is
not
done.

for more recipes go to http://www.millmoney.com/e-cook

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kaz" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Big White Soft Sugar Cookies
> Yield: 6 servings
>
> 1 c Buttermilk
> 1 1/2 c Sugar
> 1 1/2 ts Grated nutmeg
> 3 c Unbleached flour
> 1 ts Baking soda
> 2 Eggs
> 2 ts Vanilla extract
> 1 c Vegetable oil
> 1 1/2 ts Salt
> 3 ts Baking powder
> Seedless raisins
> Sugar
>
> In a measuring cup, mix the buttermilk and baking soda; set aside.
> In
> a large mixer bowl, combine the oil, sugar, and eggs; mix well. Add
> the buttermilk-soda mixture and blend. Then add the salt, nutmeg,
> vanilla, and baking powder and mix again. Blend in the flour (the
> batter will be very runny). Cover and refrigerate overnight. The
> next day, preheat oven to 400 F. For the very best results, use
> un-greased non-stick baking sheets. Dark or shiny sheets conduct the
> heat differently, and the cookie will have crisp brown edges, which
> are just what you don't want. Use 1 heaping tablespoon of batter per
> cookie, and place them on the sheets. Liberally sprinkle more sugar
> on top of each cookie and dot with 3 raisins. Keep batter
> refrigerated between bakings. Bake for just 5 minutes. The cookies
> should be just barely done--still almost white. If they are golden,
> you have left them in too long. Remove from oven, and allow the
> cookies to remain on the cookie sheet for 3 more minutes to continue
> baking. Carefully remove cookies with a metal spatula to a wax
> paper-covered rack to cool. The cookies keep well in tightly covered
> containers or can be frozen. In either case, each cookie should be
> wrapped individually or between layers of wax paper. They are so
> tender, so moist, so cake like that they cling together if this is
> not
> done.
>
> for more recipes go to http://www.millmoney.com/e-cook

The first thing I noticed about this "recipe" for baking was that there are
no measurments by weight.

Rest assured, this is crap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Farce Milverk" > wrote in message

> "kaz" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>> Big White Soft Sugar Cookies
>> Yield: 6 servings
>> for more recipes go to http://www.millmoney.com/e-cook
>>

> The first thing I noticed about this "recipe" for baking was that there
> are no measurments by weight.

I rarely have recipes that measure by weight! I think it's very unusual to
measure by weight, at least in Australia.

> Rest assured, this is crap.

Why??

Just wondering.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jen" > wrote in message

> "Farce Milverk" > wrote in message
>>
>> "kaz" > wrote in message
>> ps.com...
>>> Big White Soft Sugar Cookies
>>> Yield: 6 servings
>>> for more recipes go to http://www.millmoney.com/e-cook
>>>

>> The first thing I noticed about this "recipe" for baking was that there
>> are no measurments by weight.

> I rarely have recipes that measure by weight! I think it's very unusual
> to measure by weight, at least in Australia.
>

>> Rest assured, this is crap.

> Why??
>
> Just wondering.
>

> Jen

The part that's crap is insisting you have to weigh everything to make
something.

If you want to fool around weighing things then be my guest but don't insist
the rest of the world has to comply.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 07:54:40 -0600, "ms_peacock"
> wrote:

>The part that's crap is insisting you have to weigh everything to make
>something.
>
>If you want to fool around weighing things then be my guest but don't insist
>the rest of the world has to comply.

Agreed. And I'm a "weigher" :-) People who are "my way or the
highway" bore me to tears. I say "Vive la difference".

These are from Barb Schaller. They're mighty tasty.

Sugar Cookies

Recipe By : posted to r.f.c. by Barb Schaller 10-29-04

4 cups sifted cake flour (14 oz.)
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup soft shortening (5 oz.)
1 1/2 cups sugar (11-1/2 oz.)
2 eggs -- unbeaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 tsp. milk

Sift dry ingredients together; set aside. Mix shortening with sugar,
eggs, and vanilla until very light and fluffy. Mix in flour mixture
alternately with milk. Refrigerate dough until easy to handle (several
hours or overnight). Roll on floured board, cut, and bake at 400
degrees until delicate brown, about 9 minutes. (Tammy's note:
original recipe does not say whether baking sheet should be greased or
ungreased: try Pam next time, as cookies tended to stick the first
go-round!)

This is the only sugar cookie recipe I¹ve had much luck with!! The
dough handles beautifully! Design imprints from a cookie cutter remain
on the cookie, making decorating very easy. 11/25/89: ~5-1/2 dozen
cookies.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Source: Good Housekeeping Cookbook, page 657. First made in
the late 70s

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kaz wrote:
> Big White Soft Sugar Cookies
> Yield: 6 servings
>
> wrapped individually or between layers of wax paper. They are so
> tender, so moist, so cake like that they cling together if this is
> not
> done.

With all due respect, if I want cake, I'll make cake. I don't like the
hugely thick sugar cookies that are so popular with commercial
bakeries. They are annoyingly cloying and turn to paste in your mouth
and actually have very little taste. Ick. I'll take mine thinner,
please.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kaz wrote:
> Big White Soft Sugar Cookies
> Yield: 6 servings
>
> 1 c Buttermilk

.....to say nothing of the 1 cup of vegetable oil in this recipe....I've
never seen a sugar cookie recipe with vegetable oil as an ingredient.
Maybe that's what's wrong with the commercial cookies I see.

N.

sugar cookies with oil George M. Middius[_2_] General Cooking 5 17-02-2012 08:58 PM
Sugar Cookies chefrwmiller Recipes (moderated) 0 19-12-2006 04:20 AM
Sugar Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-12-2005 04:05 PM
Sugar Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 13-07-2005 01:23 AM
Sugar Cookies Shanelle Baking 5 10-11-2003 12:37 PM