Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Christmas Cake

1450g of dried fruit.
(The recipe called for prunes and dates to be used, but I don't like
them so just used extra of currants, glace cherries, sultanas and
raisins)
Rum to cover the fruit (approx 1 cup)
1&1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla essence
4 x 60g eggs
200g dark chocolate
1/2cup apricot jam
1/2cup apricot nectar
2cups plain flour
1/2cup self raising flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Mix the dried fruit in a bowl and cover with the rum. Let it soak. (I
let mine soak for 3 days)

Line a deep 23cm round cake tin with a double layer of baking paper on
the sides and base. (I sprayed the tin first off with Canola oil so the
paper would stick while I was working on it.)
Wrap the outside of the tin with a double thickness of brown paper and
tie with a string (or secure the join with paper clips).

heat oven to 160C

Beat butter, sugar and vanilla till creamy, then beat in the eggs one by
one, beating well. Add to the fruit (and rum) and mix well.

melt the chocolate in a small saucepan over simmering water and then
stir in the apricot jam and nectar and pour over the fruit. Stir in.

Fold in the flour and cinnamon and tip the cake mix into the prepared
tin. Smooth the top and tap the tin on the bench to settle the contents
and remove air holes.

Bake for 2&1/2 to 3 hours (mine went for 2 hours 45mins) until a skewer
test comes out clean.

remove from the oven, leave it in the tin. Wrap it in kitchen towels and
leave overnight.

(A little piece 'fell off' mine so I tasted it........ *YUM*!!!)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake)From Falling (Sinking) To *GED* General Cooking 47 11-12-2007 04:05 PM
Christmas Cake Help Too Dry openscreen Baking 2 06-01-2006 08:40 PM
Christmas Cake *~* Recipe Trader *~* Recipes (moderated) 0 30-11-2005 02:27 PM
Christmas Cake Daisy General Cooking 35 11-03-2004 10:12 AM
Christmas cake JMayo Baking 2 04-11-2003 12:51 AM