Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Help riding bitter taste in turkey Dressing

Hello,

I have 20lbs of turkey dressing frozen, in hopes I can still use it
after correcting the bitter taste it has from adding to many chicken
livers meant for the salvation army.

The recipe is sage, sausage, bread, celery and butter.

We discovered this when we baked a small 'test' amount .

Any help/suggestions to reverse or cancel the bitterness
is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 12, 2:35 pm, wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have 20lbs of turkey dressing frozen, in hopes I can still use it
> after correcting the bitter taste it has from adding to many chicken
> livers meant for the salvation army.
>
> The recipe is sage, sausage, bread, celery and butter.
>
> We discovered this when we baked a small 'test' amount .
>
> Any help/suggestions to reverse or cancel the bitterness
> is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you

/////////
Oops,, I forgot the recipe also has onions.

greenone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote

> And the problem is not too much liver, it's any amount of liver.

(laugh) My thoughts precisely. WHY did they put liver in
the stuffing. Argh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on 12 Dec 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> (laugh) My thoughts precisely. WHY did they put liver in
> the stuffing. Argh.
>
> nancy

To hide the taste of the Fruit Cake?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Steve Wertz" > wrote
>
>> And the problem is not too much liver, it's any amount of liver.

> (laugh) My thoughts precisely. WHY did they put liver in
> the stuffing. Argh.
>
> nancy

Although I suggested adding apple, I have to say "ME TOO!" on this one.
Liver in the stuffing is only acceptable if the stuffing is pate, IMHO.

Let's not even get into people who spoil perfectly good gravy by putting
giblets in it. Yuck.

I cook them and give them to the dogs. *They* love them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Puistonen" > wrote

> I cook them and give them to the dogs. *They* love them.

I could not do that, as I cannot bear the smell of them cooking!

I yank them out of the bird and get them out of my life asap.

P.S. My mother loved chicken livers. The smell of them cooking
produced very strong approach/avoid feelings. I loved my mom.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 12, 3:29 pm, "Nancy2" > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hello,

> > I have 20lbs of turkey dressing frozen, in hopes I can still use it
> > after correcting the bitter taste it has from adding to many chicken
> > livers meant for the salvation army.

> > The recipe is sage, sausage, bread, celery and butter.

> > We discovered this when we baked a small 'test' amount .

> > Any help/suggestions to reverse or cancel the bitterness
> > is greatly appreciated.

> > Thank youI might try adding some diced/chopped apple - can you take a small bit

> of it and test it? Apples and sausage are always good together, and
> they should have enough flavor to dilute the chicken liver taste.
> Other than that, I don't have a clue.
>
> N.

I thank everyone who responded. All were sensible answers.

Being stubborn Nancy, I'mg going to test your plan of attack, one last
shot [part of the 'waste not want not' personal philiosophy] I;m not
too familiar
cooking apples, so any other tips abougt quantity and type of apple is
important [I would guess GrannySmith [my favorite] is out]
Dressing sampling will be two lbs.