Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sweetened condensed milk substitute, homemade....

I don't like to use canned sweetened condensed milk (strange personal
reasons, it grosses me out), and I have made my own, with powdered milk,
sugar, butter and boiling water in the past for various recipes. I am
wondering if it would work okay in things like the 7 layer bars. Has anyone
tried to do that? I might try tonight, and I will post the results.

Souris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:10:05 GMT, "Petite Souris"
> wrote:

>I don't like to use canned sweetened condensed milk (strange personal
>reasons, it grosses me out), and I have made my own, with powdered milk,
>sugar, butter and boiling water in the past for various recipes. I am
>wondering if it would work okay in things like the 7 layer bars. Has anyone
>tried to do that? I might try tonight, and I will post the results.

I have absolutely no idea. Condensed milk is poured directly over the
graham crackers, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Why not give
your recipe a try first with macaroons? I think Pastorio posted the
condensed milk & coconut recipe here yesterday.

BTW: What's your recipe for sweetened condensed milk? I often have
those ingredients on hand when I need to go to the store for condensed
milk.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:10:05 GMT, "Petite Souris"
> > wrote:
>
>>I don't like to use canned sweetened condensed milk (strange personal
>>reasons, it grosses me out), and I have made my own, with powdered milk,
>>sugar, butter and boiling water in the past for various recipes. I am
>>wondering if it would work okay in things like the 7 layer bars. Has
>>anyone
>>tried to do that? I might try tonight, and I will post the results.
>>

> I have absolutely no idea. Condensed milk is poured directly over the
> graham crackers, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Why not give
> your recipe a try first with macaroons? I think Pastorio posted the
> condensed milk & coconut recipe here yesterday.
>
> BTW: What's your recipe for sweetened condensed milk? I often have
> those ingredients on hand when I need to go to the store for condensed
> milk.
>
> --
> See return address to reply by email

Sweetened Condensed Milk

1 c. instant powdered milk (low fat, no fat, whatever)
1/2 c. boiling water
2/3 c. sugar
3 tbsp. butter

Put everything in the blender, and whirl until thoroughly mixed. Makes the
equivalent of one regular can.

It tastes the same, so I am going to try it.

Souris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:36:39 GMT, "Petite Souris"
> wrote:

> Sweetened Condensed Milk
>
>1 c. instant powdered milk (low fat, no fat, whatever)
>1/2 c. boiling water
>2/3 c. sugar
>3 tbsp. butter
>
>Put everything in the blender, and whirl until thoroughly mixed. Makes the
>equivalent of one regular can.
>
>It tastes the same, so I am going to try it.

thanks for the recipe... I'm going to save it. Get back to us with
the results, ok?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sweetened condensed milk substitute, homemade.... RESULTS

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:36:39 GMT, "Petite Souris"
> > wrote:
>

>> Sweetened Condensed Milk
>>
>>1 c. instant powdered milk (low fat, no fat, whatever)
>>1/2 c. boiling water
>>2/3 c. sugar
>>3 tbsp. butter
>>
>>Put everything in the blender, and whirl until thoroughly mixed. Makes
>>the
>>equivalent of one regular can.
>>
>>It tastes the same, so I am going to try it.
>>

> thanks for the recipe... I'm going to save it. Get back to us with
> the results, ok?
>

> --
> See return address to reply by email

I made the 7 layer bars, with the home made SCM, and they are wonderful.
Actually better than with the canned stuff. Not quite as sweet, which is
nice, and no canned milk taste. Very good, very economical, I am very glad
I tried it!

Souris

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Petite Souris wrote:

> Sweetened Condensed Milk
>
> 1 c. instant powdered milk (low fat, no fat, whatever)
> 1/2 c. boiling water
> 2/3 c. sugar
> 3 tbsp. butter
>
> Put everything in the blender, and whirl until thoroughly mixed. Makes the
> equivalent of one regular can.
>
> It tastes the same, so I am going to try it.
>
> Souris

Is it thick like canned SCM?

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Petite Souris wrote:
>>
>> Sweetened Condensed Milk
>>
>> 1 c. instant powdered milk (low fat, no fat, whatever)
>> 1/2 c. boiling water
>> 2/3 c. sugar
>> 3 tbsp. butter
>>
>> Put everything in the blender, and whirl until thoroughly mixed. Makes
>> the
>> equivalent of one regular can.
>>
>> It tastes the same, so I am going to try it.
>>
>> Souris

> Is it thick like canned SCM?
>
> -L.

When it cools, yes. I use it in things like fudge all the time, and it
tastes better, too.

Souris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 08:29:21 GMT, "Petite Souris"
> wrote:

>Souris

Is this the Souris that used to post a lot here quite a few years
ago? And was an acknowledged expert on cheese?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 08:29:21 GMT, "Petite Souris"
> > wrote:
>
>>Souris

> Is this the Souris that used to post a lot here quite a few years
> ago? And was an acknowledged expert on cheese?
>
> Christine

No, sorry. I am a different mouse. I am a teeny tiny mouse, lol.

Souris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 06:43:42 GMT, "Petite Souris"
> wrote:

>I made the 7 layer bars, with the home made SCM, and they are wonderful.
>Actually better than with the canned stuff. Not quite as sweet, which is
>nice, and no canned milk taste. Very good, very economical, I am very glad
>I tried it!

I made 7 layer bars from the eagle brand web site tonight.... using a
can of scm. They are still warm. Hubby and GS wanted to taste them
about 10 minutes after I took them from the oven. I noticed the edges
are hard to pry away from the pan. Will it get easier after they
cool?

I'm thinking I'll do two things differently next time. I'll spray the
pan first and I may prebake the crust a bit too, but I'll decide for
sure after they cool completely.

--
See return address to reply by email