Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Graham cracker cookie recipe?

There's a cookie/candy thing for which I'm trying to find the
name/recipe. Every now and again someone brings it to a school
function, but I can never remember to ask who. It's sort of a cross
between a cookie and a candy. Whole graham cracker squares for the
base and a sort of glaze with (iirc) toffee pieces (maybe?).

Sound familiar to anyone? I can't seem to get close enough for any of
my recipe sites to come up with a decent suggestion.

I could be slightly more vague, but I'd have to work at it :-)

Thanks!

Alexis.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alexis" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> There's a cookie/candy thing for which I'm trying to find the
> name/recipe. Every now and again someone brings it to a school
> function, but I can never remember to ask who. It's sort of a cross
> between a cookie and a candy. Whole graham cracker squares for the
> base and a sort of glaze with (iirc) toffee pieces (maybe?).
>
> Sound familiar to anyone? I can't seem to get close enough for any of
> my recipe sites to come up with a decent suggestion.
>
> I could be slightly more vague, but I'd have to work at it :-)

I think you are thinking of saltine toffee cookies. Chocolate on the bottom?
They are the most simple thing ever but they completely vanish every time. I
don't have a particular recipe but if you search with saltine toffee you
should find a few recipes. I know allrecipes has several. HTH

JennP.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alexis wrote:
> There's a cookie/candy thing for which I'm trying to find the
> name/recipe. Every now and again someone brings it to a school
> function, but I can never remember to ask who. It's sort of a cross
> between a cookie and a candy. Whole graham cracker squares for the
> base and a sort of glaze with (iirc) toffee pieces (maybe?).
>
> Sound familiar to anyone? I can't seem to get close enough for any of
> my recipe sites to come up with a decent suggestion.
>
> I could be slightly more vague, but I'd have to work at it :-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Alexis.

Sounds to me like a variation on 7-Layer Bars, or magic Cookie bars,
make with sweteened condensed milk. Check at www.eaglebrand.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alexis wrote:
> There's a cookie/candy thing for which I'm trying to find the
> name/recipe. Every now and again someone brings it to a school
> function, but I can never remember to ask who. It's sort of a cross
> between a cookie and a candy. Whole graham cracker squares for the
> base and a sort of glaze with (iirc) toffee pieces (maybe?).
>
> Sound familiar to anyone? I can't seem to get close enough for any of
> my recipe sites to come up with a decent suggestion.
>
> I could be slightly more vague, but I'd have to work at it :-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Alexis.

I've seen the recipe called "Fake English toffee" but I don't have a
copy of it.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:34:07 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>Alexis wrote:
>> There's a cookie/candy thing for which I'm trying to find the
>> name/recipe. Every now and again someone brings it to a school
>> function, but I can never remember to ask who. It's sort of a cross
>> between a cookie and a candy. Whole graham cracker squares for the
>> base and a sort of glaze with (iirc) toffee pieces (maybe?).
>>
>> Sound familiar to anyone? I can't seem to get close enough for any of
>> my recipe sites to come up with a decent suggestion.
>>
>> I could be slightly more vague, but I'd have to work at it :-)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Alexis.
>>

>I've seen the recipe called "Fake English toffee" but I don't have a
>copy of it.
>
>gloria p

I never heard of what the OP was asking for, but I love English
Toffee.... so maybe I could handle making the fake stuff - hope it
tastes good.
LOL

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JennP. wrote:
> "Alexis" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > There's a cookie/candy thing for which I'm trying to find the
> > name/recipe. Every now and again someone brings it to a school
> > function, but I can never remember to ask who. It's sort of a cross
> > between a cookie and a candy. Whole graham cracker squares for the
> > base and a sort of glaze with (iirc) toffee pieces (maybe?).
> >
> > Sound familiar to anyone? I can't seem to get close enough for any of
> > my recipe sites to come up with a decent suggestion.
> >
> > I could be slightly more vague, but I'd have to work at it :-)

> I think you are thinking of saltine toffee cookies. Chocolate on the bottom?
> They are the most simple thing ever but they completely vanish every time. I
> don't have a particular recipe but if you search with saltine toffee you
> should find a few recipes. I know allrecipes has several. HTH
>
> JennP.

Thank you! I believe this is exactly what I was looking for. I was
*hoping* to avoid the "hundreds of recipes" mentioned else-thread.

Appreciate the help, Jenn!

Alexis.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:34:07 GMT, Puester >
> wrote:
>>I've seen the recipe called "Fake English toffee" but I don't have a
>>copy of it.
>>
>>gloria p

> I never heard of what the OP was asking for, but I love English
> Toffee.... so maybe I could handle making the fake stuff - hope it
> tastes good.
> LOL
>
> --
> See return address to reply by email

Not sure if this is the same as the English Toffee you are refering to, but
its easy to make, and delicious.

Almond Roca

1 lb Butter - do not use margarine
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp corn syrup
2 cups toasted slivered almonds, divided
8 oz good quality chocolate, divided

Melt butter in heavy saucepan over low heat. Stir in sugar until disolved.
Add in water and corn syrup.

Cook over low heat stirring often but gently until candy thermometer reads
290F or 142C. Remove from heat.

Stir in 1 1/3 cup amount of almonds to mixture. Pour onto greased 10x15 inch
shallow pan about and let cool.

Melt 4 oz of chocolate and spread on candy. Then sprinkle with 1/2 of the
remaining almonds.

When chocolate has hardened, carefully turn it over, into another pan. Melt
remaining chocolate, spread over candy and sprinkle with remaining almonds.

Let the chocolate harden, and break into pieces.

I have made this with all kinds of chocolate, dark, milk, and white. I have
used different kinds of nuts as well. My favorite is marbling dark with
white, and using macadamia nuts instead of almonds. Heavenly!

DO NOT DOUBLE THIS RECIPE, the candy will come out sticky.

This is soo good. I put it in small gold foil lined boxes and give as gifts
at Christmas.

Souris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Almond Roca

Petite Souris wrote:

> Not sure if this is the same as the English Toffee you are refering to, but
> its easy to make, and delicious.

<snip candy recipe>

This sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alexis" > wrote in
ups.com:

> There's a cookie/candy thing for which I'm trying to find the
> name/recipe. Every now and again someone brings it to a
> school function, but I can never remember to ask who. It's
> sort of a cross between a cookie and a candy. Whole graham
> cracker squares for the base and a sort of glaze with (iirc)
> toffee pieces (maybe?).
>
> Sound familiar to anyone? I can't seem to get close enough
> for any of my recipe sites to come up with a decent
> suggestion.
>
> I could be slightly more vague, but I'd have to work at it :-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Alexis.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Saltine...es/Detail.aspx

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,161,...242200,00.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alexis" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>> I think you are thinking of saltine toffee cookies. Chocolate on the
>> bottom?
>> They are the most simple thing ever but they completely vanish every
>> time. I
>> don't have a particular recipe but if you search with saltine toffee you
>> should find a few recipes. I know allrecipes has several. HTH
>>
>> JennP.

> Thank you! I believe this is exactly what I was looking for. I was
> *hoping* to avoid the "hundreds of recipes" mentioned else-thread.
>
> Appreciate the help, Jenn!

Glad to help.

JennP.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Toffee candy recipe:

Line a cookie sheet with foil, then line the bottom with Saltine
crackers.

Melt 2 sticks of butter and 3/4 cup brown sugar. Pour mixture over
crackers.

Bake at 400 degrees for a few minutes.

Pour a bag of chocolate chips over warm crackers and spread to coat.

While still warm, sprinkle with chopped nuts. Let cool, break into
chunks and enjoy.

Denise in NH

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Alexis wrote:
>> There's a cookie/candy thing for which I'm trying to find the
>> name/recipe. Every now and again someone brings it to a school
>> function, but I can never remember to ask who. It's sort of a cross
>> between a cookie and a candy. Whole graham cracker squares for the
>> base and a sort of glaze with (iirc) toffee pieces (maybe?).
>>
>> Sound familiar to anyone? I can't seem to get close enough for any of
>> my recipe sites to come up with a decent suggestion.
>>
>> I could be slightly more vague, but I'd have to work at it :-)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Alexis.
>>

>I've seen the recipe called "Fake English toffee" but I don't have a
>copy of it.

Alexis do you still need this recipe? I can dig it out if you do. It
is indeed delicious, even though it sounds so ... odd ... which is why
I decided to try it in the first place. I usually make it every year
for Christmas, but since our Xmas has been sidelined, I won't be
making it or anything else this year.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> Alexis do you still need this recipe? I can dig it out if you do. It
> is indeed delicious, even though it sounds so ... odd ... which is why
> I decided to try it in the first place. I usually make it every year
> for Christmas, but since our Xmas has been sidelined, I won't be
> making it or anything else this year.
>
> TammyM

Thanks, Tammy, I've got it now. I just needed a name!

Alexis.