Victor Sack

Default What's your favorite cheese?

Brown Margaret > wrote:

> Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrennees.
> It's buttery and nutty,
>
> Your faves?

Too many to list. I particularly like chèvre frais, Greyerzer
(Gruyère), Manchego, Munster, Epoisse, Roquefort, and Bulgarian feta.

Victor
Brown Margaret

--
- Happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have.
jmcquown

Brown Margaret wrote:
> Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the
> Pyrennees. It's buttery and nutty,
>
> Your faves?

Brie.

Mark Thorson

Erika wrote:

> Being pregnant I am not allowed to eat Brie or camembert
> which is cheeses I normally love.

Why? What do you think would happen?

Puester

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Erika wrote:
>
> > Being pregnant I am not allowed to eat Brie or camembert
> > which is cheeses I normally love.

> Why? What do you think would happen?

I'm not Erika, but pregnant women these days are being
advised against eating unpasteurized/unripened/fresh
cheeses due to the possibility of Listeria contamination
which can be harmful to a developing fetus.

gloria p
Erika

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 22:12:47 GMT, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Erika wrote:
>
>> Being pregnant I am not allowed to eat Brie or camembert
>> which is cheeses I normally love.

>Why? What do you think would happen?

You are not allowed any unpasturized products because the
microbactieras can cause deformation of the featus. It is what all
ahnd books and my midwife says so I am not going to gamble.

/Erika

The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
Then you gradually change in to them.
PENMART01

Erika writes:

> Mark wrote:
>>Erika wrote:
>>
>>> Being pregnant I am not allowed to eat Brie or camembert
>>> which is cheeses I normally love.

>>Why? What do you think would happen?

>You are not allowed any unpasturized products because the
>microbactieras can cause deformation of the featus. It is what all
>ahnd books and my midwife says so I am not going to gamble.

Erika, drinking lotsa booze ain't too good either... hehe

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Vilco

"Nancy Howells" ha scritto

> > Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrennees.

My one, ATM is Castelmagno.
Wonderful old mountain cheese, with a firmness and texture like a parmesan,
but a little bit less moisty. It's tasty, a lot, and smells deeply like any
old cheese (don't know hon long this, got to ask) wonderful to grate over
pasta. Tasty, yes, but not hot, just tasty!
A pasta dish I like muche is "cacio e pepe".
Cook pasta, strain and put in dish with half a nut of butter per dish, add
grated parmesan as you would do if you were to add only this. Then add
grated castelmagno (could also be any long seasoned cheese) as many as the
parmesan.
Then add freshly ground black or/and white pepper, a lot.
Too easy to believe, too good to taste.

Vilco

Z GIRL

"Brown Margaret" > wrote in message
> Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrennees.
> It's buttery and nutty,
>
> Your faves?
>

> --
> - Happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

I just love Colby Cheese followed by Munester and Feta ( Not the Nasty
Bulgarian Feta ulk ,yuk, ewww!!!!! ) ; ')

peace,
Barbara

Mark Thorson

Erika wrote:

> On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 22:12:47 GMT, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> >Erika wrote:
> >
> >> Being pregnant I am not allowed to eat Brie or camembert
> >> which is cheeses I normally love.

> >Why? What do you think would happen?
> >

> You are not allowed any unpasturized products because the
> microbactieras can cause deformation of the featus. It is what all
> ahnd books and my midwife says so I am not going to gamble.

Oooooh. I see. I had assumed you'd be eating the cheese.

Gary

Brown Margaret wrote:

> Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrennees.
> It's buttery and nutty,
>
> Your faves?
>
> --
> - Happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

Plain old "rat trap" cheese. I sit with a potato peeler and whittle it off
in very thin slices and eat it that way. )

Gary

Dave Smith

Brown Margaret wrote:

> Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrennees.
> It's buttery and nutty,
>
> Your faves?

The one we eat most often around this house is old cheddar. Parmesan (the
real stuff) is a cooking staple. We also use a lot of feta, chevre, brie,
Danish blue and Roquefort, Camembert and Oka. I suppose I could come up
with a lot of exotic cheeses to add to the list, but this is the stuff that
we eat a lot of, so I guess that would qualify them as favourites.

WiScottsin

"Brown Margaret" > wrote in message
> Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrennees.
> It's buttery and nutty,
>
> Your faves?

To me, nothing beats a good, sharp cheddar.

Thelma Lubkin

Brown Margaret > wrote:
: Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrennees.
: It's buttery and nutty,

: Your faves?

My recent favorites are aged gouda and Manouri, which is a
Greek sheep milk cheese that I discovered in our local
Russian grocery.
--thelma
modom

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 23:21:35 GMT, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Erika wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 22:12:47 GMT, Mark Thorson >
>> wrote:

>> >Why? What do you think would happen?
>> >

>> You are not allowed any unpasturized products because the
>> microbactieras can cause deformation of the featus. It is what all
>> ahnd books and my midwife says so I am not going to gamble.

>Oooooh. I see. I had assumed you'd be eating the cheese.

Bad Mark! BAD! (But funny)

As Gloria pointed out earlier, listeria infections (which can be
caused by orally ingesting the bacillus) are generally thought to be
enough of a hazard to the fetus these days that possible sources of
infection such as soft cheeses are proscribed for pregnant women.

modom

Since I lost the brindle cat,
The rats come right up and peer into the pot.
-- Han Shan
modom

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 22:21:48 GMT, Nancy Howells

(Brown Margaret) wrote:

>> Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrennees.
>> It's buttery and nutty,
>>
>> Your faves?

>Morbiere of recent days - a sort of blue. Very nice.

D likes Morbier, too, and she actively dislikes blue cheese. The vein
of gray blue in the center of the cheese is ash, I believe.

modom

Since I lost the brindle cat,
The rats come right up and peer into the pot.
-- Han Shan

modom

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 19:09:09 -0400, "Z GIRL"
> wrote:

>"Brown Margaret" > wrote in message
>> Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrennees.
>> It's buttery and nutty,
>>
>> Your faves?
>>

>> --
>> - Happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

>I just love Colby Cheese followed by Munester and Feta ( Not the Nasty
>Bulgarian Feta ulk ,yuk, ewww!!!!! ) ; ')
>
>peace,
>Barbara

Peace? You've stepped on Victor's toe!

modom

Since I lost the brindle cat,
The rats come right up and peer into the pot.
-- Han Shan
modom

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 17:35:02 -0600, Gary > wrote:

>Brown Margaret wrote:
>
>> Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrennees.
>> It's buttery and nutty,
>>
>> Your faves?
>>
>> --
>> - Happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

>Plain old "rat trap" cheese. I sit with a potato peeler and whittle it off
>in very thin slices and eat it that way. )
>
>Gary

When I first arrived in Cow Hill, there was a barbecue place here with
a butcher shop and very limited grocery attached. I remember being
very amused with the sign offering "Rat Cheese -- $3/lb"

modom

Since I lost the brindle cat,
The rats come right up and peer into the pot.
-- Han Shan
Jimmy Tango

"Brown Margaret" > wrote in message
> Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrennees.
> It's buttery and nutty,
>
> Your faves?

Pasteurized Process Cheese Food Product.

Delicious!

Gary

modom wrote:

> On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 17:35:02 -0600, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Brown Margaret wrote:
> >
> >> Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrennees.
> >> It's buttery and nutty,
> >>
> >> Your faves?
> >>
> >> --
> >> - Happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

> >Plain old "rat trap" cheese. I sit with a potato peeler and whittle it off
> >in very thin slices and eat it that way. )
> >
> >Gary
> >

> When I first arrived in Cow Hill, there was a barbecue place here with
> a butcher shop and very limited grocery attached. I remember being
> very amused with the sign offering "Rat Cheese -- $3/lb"
>
> modom
>
> Since I lost the brindle cat,
> The rats come right up and peer into the pot.
> -- Han Shan

Yes, but sometimes I can't find it labeled that way. I think it has another
name as well that I don't know about. It's hard, sort of oily cheese (it
"weeps" if you leave it out). Does anyone know what else it might be called?

Gary

Gary

Brown Margaret wrote:

> Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrennees.
> It's buttery and nutty,
>
> Your faves?
>
> --
> - Happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

As a kid, I used to get the grated Kraft parmesan cheese and eat it by the
mouth full (but only when the parents were gone, and not too much).

I also LOVE smoked cheese (don't know what kind it started out as though).

Gary

Blair P. Houghton

Really good, buttery cheddar.

Really good, buttery stilton.

Fresh buffalo mozzarella.

--Blair
"Norwegian Beaver Cheese."
-M.P.
Mickey Zalusky

Brown Margaret wrote:
> Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrennees.
> It's buttery and nutty,
>
> Your faves?

Fresh, whole milk ricotta
Parmegiano Regiano
- Mickey

Z GIRL

"modom" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 19:09:09 -0400, "Z GIRL"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Brown Margaret" > wrote in message
> >> Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrennees.
> >> It's buttery and nutty,
> >>
> >> Your faves?
> >>

> >> --
> >> - Happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

> >I just love Colby Cheese followed by Munester and Feta ( Not the Nasty
> >Bulgarian Feta ulk ,yuk, ewww!!!!! ) ; ')
> >
> >peace,
> >Barbara
> >

> Peace? You've stepped on Victor's toe!
>

> modom

lol, I saw that but woulnt it be boring if we were all the same.. I was
making Brinza for the first time and could not find the Manouri cheese I
needed , the recipe stated bulgarian feta could be substituted so thats what
I bought. It tasted like a vacuum cleaner bag smells. ;-) Needless to say
I went on a further search for the Manouri cheese.

peace,
Barbara

> Since I lost the brindle cat,
> The rats come right up and peer into the pot.
> -- Han Shan

rosie read and post

a Wisconsin FOUR year cheddar from BRENNANS!

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

i like your christ, I do not like your christians, your christians
are so unlike your christ.
..............................................gand hi

Kswck

Brown Margaret wrote:

> Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrennees.
> It's buttery and nutty,
>
> Your faves?

Lately, it's Havarti w/dill.

modom

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 03:53:26 GMT, "Jimmy Tango"
> wrote:

>"Brown Margaret" > wrote in message
>> Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrennees.
>> It's buttery and nutty,
>>
>> Your faves?

>Pasteurized Process Cheese Food Product.
>
>Delicious!

Of course it is, Dance Man.

modom

Since I lost the brindle cat,
The rats come right up and peer into the pot.
-- Han Shan
Dimitri

"Brown Margaret" > wrote in message
> Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrennees.
> It's buttery and nutty,
>
> Your faves?

Impossible: Favorite for what?

Mac and Cheese?
Pasta?
Baked Pasta?
Omelets?
Sandwiches?
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches?
with meat? What Kind of Meat? Bologna? Ham? Pastrami? Corned beef?
Chili con queso?
Enchiladas?
Tacos
Tostadas?
Crackers? What Kind?
Salad? Slivered, sliced, crumbled in or on the salad?
Salad dressing?
Baked cheese?
Cheese cake?
Cottage cheese, Pot cheese, Farmers cheese?

And about 10,000 other uses.

Dimitri

Gar

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 22:34:09 -0600, Gary > wrote:

>As a kid, I used to get the grated Kraft parmesan cheese and eat it by the
>mouth full (but only when the parents were gone, and not too much).

GASP!!!!

>I also LOVE smoked cheese (don't know what kind it started out as though).

On the weekend I shop at Woodmans In Rockford Il. They've got many
smoked cheeses. My favorite is smoked string cheese. They also have
smoked provolone, gouda, mozzarella, swiss, etc., etc.

Gar

Gar

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 09:58:46 -0500, "rosie read and post"
> wrote:

>a Wisconsin FOUR year cheddar from BRENNANS!

Brennans has older cheddar than 4 yrs. The flavored cheese turds are
to die for also.

Gar
Puester

Gar wrote:

> Brennans has older cheddar than 4 yrs.
> The flavored cheese turds are to die for also.
>
> Gar

Was that deliberate?

gloria p
LIMEYNO1

"Mickey Zalusky" > wrote in message
> Brown Margaret wrote:
> > Lately, Mine is P'Tit Basque- a sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrennees.
> > It's buttery and nutty,
> >
> > Your faves?
> >

> Fresh, whole milk ricotta
> Parmegiano Regiano
> - Mickey

Cambazola
Stilton

Blair P. Houghton

Jimmy Tango > wrote:

>Pasteurized Process Cheese Food Product.

Only when it's garnished with a medium-rare hamburger patty,
pickles, onions, lettuce, ketchup, mustard, toasted bun, french
fries, and beer.

--Blair
"Then it's good.