Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Larding the beef when making Boeuf Bourguignon?

I'm thinking of larding the beef for Boeuf Bourguignon. I'll be using large
2.5" pieces of chuck. Has anyone tried this? Does it affect flavor? Does it
leave you with fat you usually don't have to deal with? I haven't done this
before.
I haven't felt a need to, when braising beef chuck. I'm just curious.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I would consider chuck to be already fatty/marbled enough not to need
larding. I've tried larding on very lean cuts that will be roasted for
a relatively long time, and it does help with flavor and tenderness.
For fairly fatty cuts like chuck that will be quickly browned, I
wouldn't think it would make enough difference to be worth the trouble.

Adding bacon for flavor, or browning in lard, however, is a completely
different story.

Bob
========================
In article >, kh6444
@comcast.net says...
> I'm thinking of larding the beef for Boeuf Bourguignon. I'll be using large
> 2.5" pieces of chuck. Has anyone tried this? Does it affect flavor? Does it
> leave you with fat you usually don't have to deal with? I haven't done this
> before.
> I haven't felt a need to, when braising beef chuck. I'm just curious.
>
> Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, kh6444
@comcast.net says...
> I'm thinking of larding the beef for Boeuf Bourguignon. I'll be using large
> 2.5" pieces of chuck. Has anyone tried this? Does it affect flavor? Does it
> leave you with fat you usually don't have to deal with? I haven't done this
> before.
> I haven't felt a need to, when braising beef chuck. I'm just curious.
>
> Kent

In my experience, larding is used with roasts to increase moistness and
flavor. I do not think it would have much of an effect in your
situation.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

> I'm thinking of larding the beef for Boeuf Bourguignon. I'll be using large
> 2.5" pieces of chuck. Has anyone tried this? Does it affect flavor? Does it
> leave you with fat you usually don't have to deal with? I haven't done this
> before.
> I haven't felt a need to, when braising beef chuck. I'm just curious.
>
> Kent

I have read that "larding" was considered important when sub standard
cuts of meat were common. It added flavour.

There is a form of larding where strips of fat are soaked in brandy,
rolled in herbs and then used to "lard" a piece of meat, haven't tried
it but it does seem intriguing.

Do you have a "larding needle"?
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking of larding the beef for Boeuf Bourguignon. I'll be using
>> large 2.5" pieces of chuck. Has anyone tried this? Does it affect flavor?
>> Does it leave you with fat you usually don't have to deal with? I
>> haven't done this before.
>> I haven't felt a need to, when braising beef chuck. I'm just curious.
>>
>> Kent

> I have read that "larding" was considered important when sub standard cuts
> of meat were common. It added flavour.
>
> There is a form of larding where strips of fat are soaked in brandy,
> rolled in herbs and then used to "lard" a piece of meat, haven't tried it
> but it does seem intriguing.
>
> Do you have a "larding needle"?
> --
> JL

Larding is usually done with large pieces of less fatty beef. The most well
known, probably is boeuf en daube, or braised larded bottom round. You
usually flavor strips of pork back fat, as you describe. You can also use
strips of bacon, though the flavoring effect is more assertive. You can get
larding needles at any restaurant supply place.

Kent