Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chocolate in food

Have you ever used chocolate in any form as an ingredient in any dish
OTHER THAN dessert?

I'm going to try broiling chicken breast (possibly stuffed with a
fruit/nut mixture), topped with crushed chocolate-covered almonds.

Dessert was an easy pick--chocolate mousse on a popsicle stick, rolled
in assorted crushed candy and nuts.

I'm having a dinner party with 6 total guests, and I want to
incorporate chocolate into each course. The dinner will take place
over several hours, in celebration of my best friend's birthday.

Apparently, chocolate isn't used for anything other than dessert.

Post here, or e-mail me.

I'd like to see a cookbook out of this!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My stepsister won a citywide chili contest... her chili had melted
Hershey Bars in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

mom0f4boys wrote:
> My stepsister won a citywide chili contest... her chili had melted
> Hershey Bars in it.

Well whoopie ****ing ding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Have you ever used chocolate in any form as an ingredient in any dish
> OTHER THAN dessert?
>
> I'm going to try broiling chicken breast (possibly stuffed with a
> fruit/nut mixture), topped with crushed chocolate-covered almonds.
>
> Dessert was an easy pick--chocolate mousse on a popsicle stick, rolled
> in assorted crushed candy and nuts.
>
> I'm having a dinner party with 6 total guests, and I want to
> incorporate chocolate into each course. The dinner will take place
> over several hours, in celebration of my best friend's birthday.
>
> Apparently, chocolate isn't used for anything other than dessert.

Here's something I wrote in February 2005:

=======================================
I've been watching the latest series of "Iron Chef America" (I particularly
enjoyed the one where Ming Tsai beat Bobby Flay). I record the show on my
DVR, and I generally pause it when the theme ingredient is announced. Then I
make up a menu of dishes I'd make if *I* was in the competition. Usually, my
items bear a passing resemblance to dishes made by one or both chefs.

This latest episode has me saying, "Hmm...." There were two theme
ingredients, chocolate and coconut, but there was also a twist: At least
three dishes had to be savory rather than dessert. I was a bit taken aback
to see that NONE of my choices were anything CLOSE to what was made by
either chef. Here's the menu I came up with:

Two soups, served in two separate cups (I've got teacups that are just the
right size: they're bigger than demitasse cups but smaller than most coffee
cups): Shrimp-Coconut Soup and Turkey-Mole Soup. The shrimp soup is based on
a Thai coconut-milk soup with chicken. And for those who don't know, "mole"
is a complex Mexican sauce; the recipe I have in mind contains garlic,
onions, green peppers, almonds, raisins, cumin, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon,
unsweetened chocolate, and orange peel.

Cocoa-Pastry Empanadas with Ham, Mango, and Coconut filling: I'd use diced
fresh coconut rather than shredded. This would be accompanied by an
Apricot-Ginger sauce.

Lime-Grilled Chicken Skewers with a Coconut-Peanut-Cocoa Dipping Sauce: The
chicken is basted with sweetened lime juice while cooking, and the sauce is
made by incorporating cocoa powder into an Indonesian sate sauce recipe.

Cocoa-Crusted Tilapia with Yellow Curry (which contains both coconut and
coconut milk)

Caramelized banana with a scoop each of coconut ice cream and chocolate ice
cream, with a syrup made from reducing orange juice, topped with whipped
cream and sprinkled with grated chocolate and toasted shredded coconut

So what would the other culinary gurus in this group have made?
=======================================

I think the only thing there which *doesn't* contain any form of chocolate
is the Shrimp-Coconut Soup. Everything else ought to qualify for your menu.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Bob Terwilliger responded to:

> > Have you ever used chocolate in any form as an ingredient in any dish
> > OTHER THAN dessert?

I had the most WONDERFUL brioche .... savory, sweet, very interesting
and complex flavors. Bittersweet and semi-sweet chocolates with a
variety of ingredients (each brioche different) that included cayenne,
curry, cloves and olive oil. Yes, there were the ricotta and marzipan
varieties as well, but the savory brioche were simply amazing. They
froze quite well, too.

It was one of those "a way to a woman's heart is through her ...." ;-)

Would I go with chocolate on tilapia? No ... that just seems wrong, but
that might be because of my 'conservative' tastes. I guess I should
leave myself open to the possibilities ....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lin" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Bob Terwilliger responded to:
>
>> > Have you ever used chocolate in any form as an ingredient in any dish
>> > OTHER THAN dessert?

If you haven't had chocolate mole with chicken (a Mexican thing), you've
missed something amazing. Examples:

http://www.mexonline.com/culture/mxrec5.htm

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/200...colate_chicken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

JoeSpareBedroom sent:

> If you haven't had chocolate mole with chicken (a Mexican thing), you've
> missed something amazing. Examples:
>
> http://www.mexonline.com/culture/mxrec5.htm
>
> http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/200...colate_chicken

Thank you! both of those recipes looks delicious, and pretty easy
(after I get by the metric conversions!)

I still can't see chocolate and fish though.

--Lin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Lin" > wrote:

> I still can't see chocolate and fish though.
>
> --Lin

I'll have to second that...
IMHO chocolate goes best with poultry, and in any recipe that includes
peppers.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lin" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> JoeSpareBedroom sent:
>
>> If you haven't had chocolate mole with chicken (a Mexican thing), you've
>> missed something amazing. Examples:
>>
>> http://www.mexonline.com/culture/mxrec5.htm
>>
>> http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/200...colate_chicken

> Thank you! both of those recipes looks delicious, and pretty easy
> (after I get by the metric conversions!)
>
> I still can't see chocolate and fish though.
>
> --Lin

I've never tried it, but it might work with shrimp. Maybe.

Chocolate is a psychoactive food roburt Chocolate 5 27-11-2010 11:03 PM
wht other food or drink do you eat with your chocolate? genevie Chocolate 0 20-07-2010 04:12 AM
rec.food.chocolate zena Chocolate 0 10-12-2004 10:27 AM
rec.food.chocolate Stell Chocolate 0 10-12-2004 10:21 AM
Chocolate is EVIL, it's the food of HELL ! Brian Raab Chocolate 7 14-10-2004 03:40 PM