Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to serve with Prime Rib?

"laurie" > wrote in message
news:6AUdh.7342$Gp2.5041@trndny06...

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> >

> > I always serve roasted red potatoes that I've cooked with a little
> > rosemary and garlic and sea salt. Just a touch of seasonings here. For
> > veggies, I serve either boiled (lightly) Brussels sprouts or roasted
> > Brussels sprouts. Roasted sweet onion and carrots is divine as well.

And
> > of course, freshly made Yorkshire puddings.
> >
> > The whole roasted theme matches beautifully and is very traditional.

It's
> > always a huge hit, everyone loves it year after year.
> >
> > Be sure to make a gravy from he fond from the beef roaster pan. You
> > won't get much but a little goes a long way. I use a cabernet

sauvignon
> > wine to deglasse the pan then mount butter and beef juices. Cook till

it
> > coats the back of a spoon.
> >
> > Paul

> I did consider red roasted as they are one of my faves and of course go
> great with the roast- haven't crossed it off my list yet. I was trying to
> choose something my kids like and neither of them like roasted potatoes.

Well to heck with them, then. Send them to bed without dinner. Put coal in
their stockings! If kids were allowed to dictate dinner plans we'd all live
on mac anc cheese and corn dogs. The time is now to enjoy grown up food,
not when they are off in college.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"laurie" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> >
> > "laurie" > wrote in message
> >> I always serve roasted red potatoes that I've cooked with a little
> >> rosemary

> > and garlic and sea salt. Just a touch of seasonings here. For veggies,

> > serve either boiled (lightly) Brussels sprouts or roasted Brussels
> > sprouts. Roasted sweet onion and carrots is divine as well. And of
> > course, freshly made Yorkshire puddings.
> >
> > The whole roasted theme matches beautifully and is very traditional.

It's
> > always a huge hit, everyone loves it year after year.
> >
> > Be sure to make a gravy from he fond from the beef roaster pan. You
> > won't get much but a little goes a long way. I use a cabernet

sauvignon
> > wine to deglasse the pan then mount butter and beef juices. Cook till

it
> > coats the back of a spoon.
> >
> > Paul

> The gravy sounds great. Oh, I forgot to say, I assume you cook all the
> roasted veggies in a separate roasting pan and not mixed in with the rib
> juices? I think there would be too much to cook in with the rib.

Yes, separately. Some cook the roast on a bed of sacrificial aromatic
vegetables but I've not found that to add much to the roast. For me, it's a
heavy coating of kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper only.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:

> If I steam ahead and re-heat, will they get wilted or soggy? My kitchen
> isn't huge and I want to cut down on un-needed dishes in the sink and on the
> stovetop.

You should designate/beg a kind relative to follow you around and wash
each item as you finish using it. That works fantastically well.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ravenlynne wrote:

> I've always done this. But I was reading "Heat" by Bill Buford and he
> describes Mario Batali telling him that "only an idiot would use foil on
> cooling meat". Does anyone have any idea why this would be bad? Just
> curious.

Because you would then be steaming it instead of dry roasting it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ravenlynne wrote:

> About the tented with foil thing:
>
> I've always done this. But I was reading "Heat" by Bill Buford and he
> describes Mario Batali telling him that "only an idiot would use foil on
> cooling meat". Does anyone have any idea why this would be bad? Just
> curious.

Whoa! I answered this a second ago under the impression you meant while
cooking, not the resting phase. Sooooooo, ignore my last message. Ooops!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jan wrote:

> This is so good with beef: I made this to go with our Thanksgiving
> prime rib-also made a horseradish sauce for the beef. We had candied
> carrots and steamed broccoli. Plenty of color- Hope this helps.
>
> Mushroom Casserole

Lordie this sounds good! I think your meal sounds about perfect to
me...assuming you also had some mashed potatoes, lol.
Recipe copied and I anticipate making it for my own Christmas dinner.
Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Ravenlynne said...
>
>> About the tented with foil thing:
>>
>> I've always done this. But I was reading "Heat" by Bill Buford and
>> he describes Mario Batali telling him that "only an idiot would use
>> foil on cooling meat". Does anyone have any idea why this would be
>> bad? Just curious.

> Ravenlynne,
>
> I think tenting is a 50/50 proposition.
>
> Tented meat will continue to cook rather than cool. Some claim tented
> meat may rise an additional 10 degrees in 10 or 15 minutes.
>
> Untented will cook some but cool faster.
>
> It probably matters most how close to doneness (temp) it reads, out
> of the oven, whether to tent or not, so it doesnt accidently overcook.
>
> Andy

I always yank a roast such as prime rib out of the oven a few degrees shy of
"done". I've posted my method for bone-in standing rib roast too many times
to repeat it. The roast will keep cooking regardless but the tenting keeps
it warm. Frees up the oven for other stuff.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Sarah wrote:
>>>
>>> About the tented with foil thing:
>>>
>>> I've always done this. But I was reading "Heat" by Bill Buford and
>>> he describes Mario Batali telling him that "only an idiot would use
>>> foil on cooling meat". Does anyone have any idea why this would be
>>> bad? Just curious.
>>>

>> Apparently, roast beef should be 'dry' cooked, by tenting in foil it
>> steams, and so the crusty outside goes soggy.

> Nothing steams and nothing goes soggy (roast meat is not a loaf of
> bread). The tent slows the rate of cooling so juices can more readily
> be reabsorbed rather than they drip into the pan, and the tent
> increases humidity so the meat surface does not become tough...
> humidity ain't steam, were it we'd all be dead

LOL and it's funny that someone takes what they say on UKTV Food as gospel
any more than anyone takes, for example, what Sandra Lee or Rachel Ray says
here in the U.S. as gospel. *They are television shows.* We don't even
know if they can cook! All they do is stand in front of a television camera
and talk about cooking and throw a few things in a pan for effect. They
probably go home and ask the housekeeper what's for dinner?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> LOL and it's funny that someone takes what they say on UKTV Food as gospel
> any more than anyone takes, for example, what Sandra Lee or Rachel Ray says
> here in the U.S. as gospel. *They are television shows.* We don't even
> know if they can cook! All they do is stand in front of a television camera
> and talk about cooking and throw a few things in a pan for effect. They
> probably go home and ask the housekeeper what's for dinner?
>
> Jill

I was simply posting something I read in order to stimulate
conversation.. <massive eye roll>

--
Ignorance isn't just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy
- The Dresden Files
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <GcMdh.3263$ne3.923@trndny03>,
"laurie" > wrote:

> We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
> We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing mashed
> potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as far
> as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get stressed out
> about it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3 days leading into
> Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as possible. Preferably make
> some things before the 21st and freeze if possible. I have a few ideas but
> none of them seem like they'd compliment the Rib. I have a wonderful recipe
> for chicken broccoli and ziti but is that too overhwhelming with the main
> meal? Should I just do some sort of broccoli/cheese casserole? That
> doesn't seem "fancy" enough or something. I'd prefer to do heat and serve
> things - meaning no steaming on the stovetop that day- if possible. No
> green bean casseroles because a) neither my husband or I like it and b) I
> know none of you would help me if i said I was going to make it.
>
> Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them skimp on
> the veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that department. But nothing
> overwhelming, please!
>
> laurie

'Shrooms and sugar snap peas, steamed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Laurie wrote:

> We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
> We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing
> mashed potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with
> it as far as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get
> stressed out about it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3
> days leading into Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as
> possible. Preferably make some things before the 21st and freeze if
> possible. I have a few ideas but none of them seem like they'd compliment
> the Rib. I have a wonderful recipe for chicken broccoli and ziti but is
> that too overhwhelming with the main meal? Should I just do some sort of
> broccoli/cheese casserole? That doesn't seem "fancy" enough or something.
> I'd prefer to do heat and serve things - meaning no steaming on the
> stovetop that day- if possible. No green bean casseroles because a)
> neither my husband or I like it and b) I know none of you would help me if
> i said I was going to make it.
>
> Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them skimp on
> the veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that department. But
> nothing overwhelming, please!

Last time I made a standing rib roast, this was the menu:

Parmesan Crisps
Stuffed Mushrooms

Barb's Green Bean Soup

Standing Beef Rib Roast
Garlic Bread Pudding
Gravy
Baked Potatoes (sour cream, butter, and chives)
Tossed Salad (lettuce, jicama, cucumber, scallions)
Dorothy Lynch Dressing
Homemade Ranch Dressing
Spinach Casserole
Broccoli & Cauliflower Au Gratin
Glazed Spiced Carrots & Parsnips
Dinner Rolls

Black Forest Trifle
Banana Pudding
Sour Cream Apple Pie

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Simplicity

Jill wrote:

> Relax.... I'd do a simple steamed broccoli or steamed califlower florets
> as
> a side dish. Or perhaps fresh green beans. No casseroles, none of that
> "I
> think I have to fuss in the kitchen all day" stuff. That so irritates me
> about holiday cooking. Nothing fancy, no fancy sauces required unless you
> want to; just vegetables with butter, salt & pepper. I often wonder why
> everyone thinks holiday dishes have to be so flamboyant. Prime rib itself
> is very nice; simplicity should accompany it.

I'm planning a very simple Christmas dinner this year; it's going to be for
just my girlfriend and myself:

Cream of Chestnut Soup with Arugula

Roast Quail (following the Fergus Henderson recipe that Victor posted)
Barley Pilaf
Lentils
Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Chocolate Steamed Pudding (recipe in _Microwave Gourmet_)
Eggnog

I have to work that evening, so I'll be drinking apple juice. She'll be
drinking Bunratty Meade.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 22:22:10 -0600, Skyhooks
> wrote:

>laurie wrote:

Snippady doo daw

>> Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them skimp on
>> the veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that department. But nothing
>> overwhelming, please!
>>
>> laurie

>I love prime rib! For a stressless, easy side dish, perhaps you might
>like to consider an easy salad made from a small wedge of lettuce
>sprinkled with bacon bits and served with a nice bleu cheese or ranch
>dressing? Maybe include some diced tomatoes? Definitely quick and easy
>with no additional cooking involved.
>
>Sky

This is sooo delicious. Claim Jumper Restaurants serve this salad it's
one of my favorites. If I remember right they also sprinkle finely
diced red onion on it.
I would highly recommend this.
Thanks for thinking of it Sky

Koko
A Yuman being on the net
(posting from San Diego)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 03:51:02 GMT, "laurie" >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.

<snip>

We do roast beef and orkshire pudding every year, but the side dishes
vary. This year's will be:

Appetizers:

flatbread and spread
sausage stuffed mushrooms

Dinner:

Cucumber, Radish And Green Onion Salad/Chili-Lime Dressing
roast beef
Yorkshire pudding
potato gratin with mustard and cheddar cheese
broccoli casserole
refrigerator rolls
cranberry relish

Yule Log
Bavarian Almond-Apple Tort

Homemade eggnog

Recipes provided on request :-)

Terry Pulliam Burd

--
"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 15:34:08 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"laurie" > wrote in message

one snippy snippy, two snippy snippy

>> Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them skimp on the
>> veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that department. But nothing
>> overwhelming, please!
>>
>> laurie

>Creamed Spinach a la Lawry's

snipped recipe for brevity

>Lawry's Whipped Cream Horseradish

This one too

>Dimitri

Thank you Dimitri,
These are keepers. I just recently started re-using Lawry seasoned
salt. I forgot how versatile it is.
Nice to see you again.

Koko

A Yuman being on the net
(posting from San Diego)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 05:28:36 GMT, The Bubbo >
wrote:

>YORKSHIRE PUDDING!!!
>yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!
>make that and invite me! I'll bring my charming demeanor and a bag of chips
>(or ice, your call)

I'd take ice (for cocktails) because the potatoes have to be mashed.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 08:18:35 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>I have made these popovers from epicurious

OH YES, popovers are also part of my xmas roast menu.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 05:33:06 -0600, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Relax.... I'd do a simple steamed broccoli or steamed califlower florets as
>a side dish. Or perhaps fresh green beans.

RELAX? RELAX???????? WHO WANTS TO RELAX???????

Geeze, you're a real grinch, Jill.

Creamed spinach, Yorkshire Pudding and popovers..... that's what any
*Chrismas*(season) roast beef worth its salt craves. Hard to make as
they sound, they are actually simple.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 13:27:15 GMT, "laurie" >
wrote:

>If I steam ahead and re-heat, will they get wilted or soggy? My kitchen
>isn't huge and I want to cut down on un-needed dishes in the sink and on the
>stovetop.

Steaming doesn't take more than the time you'd rest your beef, so
*relax*..... it's not rocket science.

Timing is everything. Steam some broccoli and observe the timing
(tomorrow) if you want a completely "hot" meal - then you'll know what
amount of time to allow for your vegetables.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 22:19:32 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>You should designate/beg a kind relative to follow you around and wash
>each item as you finish using it. That works fantastically well.

Works well if you do it yourself too.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> I always yank a roast such as prime rib out of the oven a few degrees
> shy of "done". I've posted my method for bone-in standing rib roast too
> many times to repeat it. The roast will keep cooking regardless but the
> tenting keeps it warm. Frees up the oven for other stuff.
>
> Jill

Well, be that as it may, you haven't posted nearly enough invitations for
your prime rib AND "other stuff" dinner!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Bubbo" > wrote in message
>>> --
>>> .:Heather:.

>> I'm making prime rib and yorkshire pudding and you're bringing
>> CHIPS???????????? How about some shrimp cocktail instead????? <smile>
>>
>> laurie
>>

> dude! the chips are for you and me after the guests leave!!!
> but i'm amiable, if you don't want chips I can bring ice.
>
> or if you want to be really picky then I'll just stay home and think bad
> things about you and maybe cry and eat my chips all alone (unless you pick
> ice, then I'm stuck with a bag of ice)
>
> --
> .:Heather:.

See now, you didn't SAY that. *Now* I get it. Just make sure you bring
extra hot salsa along with the chips!

laurie

> www.velvet-c.com
> I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just
> driving
> by your mom's house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 13:27:15 GMT, "laurie" >
> wrote:
>
>>If I steam ahead and re-heat, will they get wilted or soggy? My kitchen
>>isn't huge and I want to cut down on un-needed dishes in the sink and on
>>the
>>stovetop.

> Steaming doesn't take more than the time you'd rest your beef, so
> *relax*..... it's not rocket science.
>
> Timing is everything. Steam some broccoli and observe the timing
> (tomorrow) if you want a completely "hot" meal - then you'll know what
> amount of time to allow for your vegetables.

It's not the amount of time that I'm thinking about. I steam veggies all
the time- It's just being able to keep some sense of order in the kitchen,
and at that point in the meal prep (by steaming time) I usually have 2 kids
tugging on me and the house is chaos, so I'd rather just pop something in
the oven and not have to worry about the extra pots. It's not mandatory or
anything I was just hoping to avoid the last minute thing. However I pulled
a bunch of great green bean recipes out of last months Find Cooking Magazine
last night so I may use one of those.

laurie

> --
> See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:

>>> I'm making prime rib and yorkshire pudding and you're bringing
>>> CHIPS???????????? How about some shrimp cocktail instead????? <smile>
>>>
>>> laurie
>>>

>> dude! the chips are for you and me after the guests leave!!!
>> but i'm amiable, if you don't want chips I can bring ice.
>>
>> or if you want to be really picky then I'll just stay home and think bad
>> things about you and maybe cry and eat my chips all alone (unless you pick
>> ice, then I'm stuck with a bag of ice)
>>
>> --
>> .:Heather:.

> See now, you didn't SAY that. *Now* I get it. Just make sure you bring
> extra hot salsa along with the chips!
>
> laurie

alright then!
it'll be great fun.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just driving
by your mom's house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Sarah wrote:
>>> About the tented with foil thing:
>>>
>>> I've always done this. But I was reading "Heat" by Bill Buford and he
>>> describes Mario Batali telling him that "only an idiot would use foil on
>>> cooling meat". Does anyone have any idea why this would be bad? Just
>>> curious.
>>>

>> Apparently, roast beef should be 'dry' cooked, by tenting in foil it steams,
>> and so the crusty outside goes soggy.

> Nothing steams and nothing goes soggy (roast meat is not a loaf of
> bread).

If the meat surface is over about 185F, it's steaming from
the juices migrating to the surface. If there's a Maillard
crust on the surface of the meat, the steamy environment
will soften it.

> The tent slows the rate of cooling so juices can more readily
> be reabsorbed rather than they drip into the pan,

Meat juices once lost are never *never* reabsorbed. Fats
rendered are fats now outside the meat. They don't go back
in, as a moment's glance at a cold roast pan can attest.
Water-based juices are in the pan because the proteins that
once held them have released them. Cooked meats don't
reabsorb those juices because the proteins are permanently
changed by cooking. If meats did reabsorb juices, there
would never need to be a dry roast or a dry bird.

> and the tent
> increases humidity so the meat surface does not become tough...

Nah. The meat surface doesn't "become tough" if not tented.
It's as tough as it's going to get when taken out of the
oven, and that is determined by the degree of doneness - the
absolute temperature - it is. Any crust that might be there
softens a bit because of the moisture in the air - the water
vapor.

> humidity ain't steam, were it we'd all be dead...

<LOL> Steam is a variant of humidity. Water vapor is another
word for it. Humidity is a measure of how much water vapor
is in air. Poor Cookie Katz can't get past his navy
definition of steam from 40 years ago

> no steam is produced,
> not inside the oven, not outside the oven, no steam is created from
> tenting.

<LOL> So when a person wearing glasses opens the oven and
their glasses fog, there's no steam? Moron.

Let's get all technical here. Steam is generally thought of
as different than the wisps of water vapor we can clearly
see evaporating from every roast ever done, every pan any
roast has ever sat in, and every foil tent that has rivers
of condensation inside it. Most common usage says that steam
is invisible and under pressure, but the simple fact is that
steam is the vapor product of boiling water, under pressure
or not.

So steam is indeed created in ovens. Every time we cook in
an oven, there's steam as a product. It's exactly what
happens in a loaf of bread, a meat roast, a braise, or
anything else. No steam is *created* by tenting; but steam
is most certainly restricted in movement by tenting.

> I've watched Mario Bertali's shows enough to learn he's about
> the dumbest embarrassment to humanity of all foodtv personalities, he's
> your typical ignorant dago pasta bender, can barely speak without
> constantly stumbling over his own greasy WOP tongue... Mario Buffooni
> has a serious speech impediment or he's sucking some thing.

I always rely on degenerate, sex-besotted, too-old,
drug-addled, ex-navy shipboard butt targets for critical
analyses of...<LOL> anything. Right. Anything. I find it
instructive when the critic can't spell that which he's
criticizing. Adds, credibility.

Did I say credibility? I meant blowholeness.

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Dec 2006 19:50:12 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:
>
>Last time I made a standing rib roast, this was the menu:
>

>Parmesan Crisps
>Stuffed Mushrooms
>
>Barb's Green Bean Soup
>
>Standing Beef Rib Roast
>Garlic Bread Pudding
>Gravy
>Baked Potatoes (sour cream, butter, and chives)
>Tossed Salad (lettuce, jicama, cucumber, scallions)
> Dorothy Lynch Dressing
> Homemade Ranch Dressing
>Spinach Casserole
>Broccoli & Cauliflower Au Gratin
>Glazed Spiced Carrots & Parsnips
>Dinner Rolls
>
>Black Forest Trifle
>Banana Pudding
>Sour Cream Apple Pie

If I were wearing a sign right now, it would read "will be love slave
for food" ;-)

I googled for Barb's green bean soup and couldn't find it. Could you
post it please? And the spinach casserole sounds pretty tasty too.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> If I were wearing a sign right now, it would read "will be love slave
> for food" ;-)

Shhhh.... my girlfriend reads this group now. We'll have to be discreet. She
doesn't know where you live. ;-)

> I googled for Barb's green bean soup and couldn't find it. Could you
> post it please? And the spinach casserole sounds pretty tasty too.

Sure! I forget what the original name of the recipe was, but Barb was the
one who posted it (and she's posted it more than once), so that's what I
call it:

Barb's Green Bean Soup

1 lb fresh green beans in 3/4" pieces
4 cups chicken stock
2 tsp. salt (Barb says she omits this)
1 clove garlic on a toothpick
1 tsp. vinegar
2 Tbsp. butter
1 small onion chopped fine
1 tsp. paprika
2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
2 Tbsp. flour
1/4 cup sour cream at room temperature

Cook beans, salt, vinegar and garlic in chicken stock about 15 minutes.
Remove from heat. Make roux from everything else except sour cream.
Dilute with 1 cup bean broth, then stir back into beans and broth.
Simmer 10 minutes until tender. Remove the garlic. Mix 2 tablespoons
soup into the sour cream then pour back into soup. Do not boil.
Correct the seasoning.

Advance preparation: Wash beans, chop onion, chop parsley. Combine onion,
parsley, paprika, and butter in a bowl, cover and refrigerate.

Spinach casserole (posted to RFC by Cate in November 2003)

4 10 oz packages frozen spinach
1 stick butter
6 to 8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan or parmeggiano-reggiano cheese
1 cup pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 F. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Boil
spinach for just a couple of minutes--only long enough to get it thoroughly
unfrozen. Meanwhile, melt butter and cream cheese together. Drain spinach
and put into mixing bowl. Fold melted mixture with spinach, add salt and
pepper to taste, and put it in a casserole dish. Sprinkle parmesan on top.
Sprinkle nuts on top of parmesan. Heat dish uncovered for 30 minutes,
checking every few minutes to see if the cheese is getting too dark. Cover
casserole dish with foil if it is getting too dark. Serves 6ish.

CATE'S COMMENT:
You can of course use fresh spinach instead, which tastes better than the
frozen. I've only done it once and guessed at the proper amount, but I used
a half pound, which worked out fine.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

TammyM wrote:

> >If I were wearing a sign right now, it would read "will be love slave

> for food" ;-)

Sorry! That position has already been filled! ;-)

--Lin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:

>> If I were wearing a sign right now, it would read "will be love
>> slave for food" ;-)

> Sorry! That position has already been filled! ;-)

Lemme get this straight: Do you (a) disapprove of my having a harem of love
slaves, or (b) just want all the food to yourself?

(Not that I could *handle* more than one love slave, but I could certainly
keep them well-fed!)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Bob wrote:

>Lemme get this straight: Do you (a) disapprove of my having a harem of love
> slaves, or (b) just want all the food to yourself?

If this is multiple choice question, why isn't there a (c) All of the
above? ;-)

> (Not that I could *handle* more than one love slave, but I could certainly
> keep them well-fed!)

Heh. The more the merrier!

--Lin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9 Dec 2006 20:37:53 -0800, "Lin" > wrote:

>Bob wrote:
>
>>Lemme get this straight: Do you (a) disapprove of my having a harem of love
>> slaves, or (b) just want all the food to yourself?

>If this is multiple choice question, why isn't there a (c) All of the
>above? ;-)

Men are simple thinkers.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9 Dec 2006 22:12:02 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Lin wrote:
>
>>> If I were wearing a sign right now, it would read "will be love
>>> slave for food" ;-)

>> Sorry! That position has already been filled! ;-)

>Lemme get this straight: Do you (a) disapprove of my having a harem of love
>slaves, or (b) just want all the food to yourself?
>
>(Not that I could *handle* more than one love slave,

'Tis a wise man who knows his limitations :-)

> but I could certainly
>keep them well-fed!)

And equally wisely acknowledges his gifts!

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9 Dec 2006 18:40:10 -0800, "Lin" > wrote:

>TammyM wrote:
>
>> >If I were wearing a sign right now, it would read "will be love slave

>> for food" ;-)

>Sorry! That position has already been filled! ;-)
>--Lin

And I'll bet you're one happy little camper, gustatorily speaking!

:-)))

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

we like HUGE baked potatoes with butter and onion/garlic/chive sour cream
topping.

a basket of dinner rolls.

a small green salad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Jan sent:

> Mushroom Casserole

It looks incredibly rich! I think it's something I would love to try.

What is the consistency like after it's baked? How many does it serve?

We do Prme Rib on Christmas Eve. My sister and I take turns hosting for
the family. It's her turn this year, which means I will either be doing
baked potatoes with all the trimmings or some sort of au gratin or
scalloped potato dish.

I am also quite partial to mashed rutabagas with the au jus from the
rare roast ladled over them. I'll probably volunteer to make those as
well.

A very early flight on Christmas Day will find me on the left coast
with "He Who Has Stolen My Heart" .... His menu for that day is
exquisite. We have a little baking do to as well. I am really looking
forward to this!

--Lin (feeling like a kid at Christmas this year!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote

> garlic mashed potatoes, creamed spinach and popovers

I'm having a beautiful prime rib on Christmas Eve, and I am having
popovers, for sure. Probably mashed or baked potatoes and a green
vegetable, but here's the dirty little secrect. I'm going to eat so much
prime rib, the sides will mostly be leftovers.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 05:33:06 -0600, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>> For one of the sides I am fixing these carrots, which would also be

> lovely with the prime rib, as well as very easy:
>
> http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r879.html
>
> Christine

These sound great, and the crock pot is right up my alley. Printing the
recipe now. Thanks!

laurie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jan" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> This is so good with beef: I made this to go with our Thanksgiving
> prime rib-also made a horseradish sauce for the beef. We had candied
> carrots and steamed broccoli. Plenty of color- Hope this helps.
>
> Mushroom Casserole

This sounds great, thanks!

laurie

> 1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 03:51:02 GMT, "laurie" >
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:
>
>>We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.

> <snip>
>
> We do roast beef and orkshire pudding every year, but the side dishes
> vary. This year's will be:

Thanks for the menu. Quick question for the yorkshire pudding group-

my recipes for both the yorkshire pudding and the au jus sauce indicate that
I need all of the pan drippings for each one. So to do both, what do you
do? Divide the drippings? Add beef broth?

laurie

> Appetizers:
>
> flatbread and spread
> sausage stuffed mushrooms
>
> Dinner:
>
> Cucumber, Radish And Green Onion Salad/Chili-Lime Dressing
> roast beef
> Yorkshire pudding
> potato gratin with mustard and cheddar cheese
> broccoli casserole
> refrigerator rolls
> cranberry relish
>

> Yule Log
> Bavarian Almond-Apple Tort
>
> Homemade eggnog
>
> Recipes provided on request :-)
>
> Terry Pulliam Burd
>
> --
> "Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
> classed as cannybals."
>
> Finley Peter Dunne (1900)
>
> To reply, replace "spaminator" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:
> my recipes for both the yorkshire pudding and the au jus sauce indicate that
> I need all of the pan drippings for each one. So to do both, what do you
> do? Divide the drippings? Add beef broth?

Is "au jus sauce" a new fangled term for "gravy"??
Yorkshire puddings don't require all that much depth of fat, just
generous 1/4 inch or so in the bottom of the tins.