Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Attn: Candymakers

For all you candymakers looking for something different and
exciting, check this out:

Starch-cast, crystallized, chocolate-covered liqueur centers
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/9b7a677dc55be2b9?hl=en>

Bob Pastorio posted this last season. If you like soft centered
candies you need to try this technique. The results are great
and the method opens up a whole set of possibilities.

Basically, you make your own "one time use" molds using
cornstarch, fill them with a pourable center, then let the
pieces crystallize. Remove them from the molds and dip
them in chocolate.

The end result is spectacular... very different from
anything you get out of regular molds. The pieces have
just a bit of crunch, then they kind of explode with the
liqueur flavor of your choice. Or any other flavor you
like. It's a bit more work than using regular molds, but
not all that much.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:
> For all you candymakers looking for something different and
> exciting, check this out:
>
> Starch-cast, crystallized, chocolate-covered liqueur centers
> <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/9b7a677dc55be2b9?hl=en>
>
> Bob Pastorio posted this last season. If you like soft centered
> candies you need to try this technique. The results are great
> and the method opens up a whole set of possibilities.
>
> Basically, you make your own "one time use" molds using
> cornstarch, fill them with a pourable center, then let the
> pieces crystallize. Remove them from the molds and dip
> them in chocolate.
>
> The end result is spectacular... very different from
> anything you get out of regular molds. The pieces have
> just a bit of crunch, then they kind of explode with the
> liqueur flavor of your choice. Or any other flavor you
> like. It's a bit more work than using regular molds, but
> not all that much.
>
> --
> Reg

Sounds like a worthwhile adventure, now that there are no hippie health
food stores in my area, just the pricey chain ones, can anyone
enlighten me as to a possible souce for inexpensive corn starch? Those
little boxes at the grocery store could easily add up to a small
fortune for 8-10 pounds worth.

Jessica

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jessica V. wrote:

> Sounds like a worthwhile adventure, now that there are no hippie health
> food stores in my area, just the pricey chain ones, can anyone
> enlighten me as to a possible souce for inexpensive corn starch? Those
> little boxes at the grocery store could easily add up to a small
> fortune for 8-10 pounds worth.
>
> Jessica

Would Sisco carry it... and would they sell it to an individual, I wonder?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Jessica V. wrote:
>
>> Sounds like a worthwhile adventure, now that there are no hippie health
>> food stores in my area, just the pricey chain ones, can anyone
>> enlighten me as to a possible souce for inexpensive corn starch? Those
>> little boxes at the grocery store could easily add up to a small
>> fortune for 8-10 pounds worth.
>>
>> Jessica
>>

> Would Sisco carry it... and would they sell it to an individual, I wonder?

They would have larger packages and they wouldn't sell to
individuals who don't have an open account. Hard for a
member of the general public to get an account. Costco Or
Sam's Club or some other such operations might have it in
larger packages.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob (this one)" > wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
> > Jessica V. wrote:
> >
> >> enlighten me as to a possible souce for inexpensive corn starch? Those
> >> little boxes at the grocery store could easily add up to a small
> >> fortune for 8-10 pounds worth.
> >>

> > Would Sisco carry it... and would they sell it to an individual, I wonder?

> They would have larger packages and they wouldn't sell to
> individuals who don't have an open account. Hard for a
> member of the general public to get an account. Costco Or
> Sam's Club or some other such operations might have it in
> larger packages.

A quick web search found this:
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=468

There is also a place called Bulk Foods that has 10lb quantities, though
I thought their prices weren't all that great.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.