Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default beer & wine

Yesterday I went into one of those shops that sells everything you need
to make beer and wine at home. I'd seen them before but never been in.
The first thing I noticed was that it had a wonderful smell, sort of
fresh and grassy and sweet. The employee held out a bucket of whole
grains for me to see if that was it. It was. It was also the malt
barley. The second thing I noticed was how nice the 2 employees
(owners?) were. They had long hair, tatoos, and biker shirts on. They
were also welcoming and gracious. You could tell they wanted to rope me in.

I can't recall all the products, but there were all sorts of bottles,
corks, books, grains, flavors, yeasts, hops, recipes, kits, measuring
devices, little bottles with clear liquids marked with chemical names I
didn't understand, everything you could need for home fermentation. I
like cooking at home but have never tried this. It looks like it could
be an all-consuming hobby on par with quilting. There was also a kit
for making mozarella or ricotta cheese at home. All you add is
pasteurized milk.

I love this sort of stuff. It started to remind me of a potions shop
out of Harry Potter.

The only trouble is that I don't like beer that much, and I couldn't
imagine making wine at home that's materially better than the stuff I
drink at $9.99/bottle. I suppose it would make sense if I had an excess
supply of grapes or other fruit, but I couldn't imagine buying a big box
of merlot grape juice (available at the store along with other
varieties) for the purpose of making wine of it at home from it.

I'd want to make the beer from a recipe a few times, then fiddle with
the recipe to see if I could make something more to my liking or
different from anything that could be bought commercially.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler scribbled on the wall in crayon:

> The only trouble is that I don't like beer that much, and I couldn't
> imagine making wine at home that's materially better than the stuff I
> drink at $9.99/bottle. I suppose it would make sense if I had an excess
> supply of grapes or other fruit, but I couldn't imagine buying a big box
> of merlot grape juice (available at the store along with other
> varieties) for the purpose of making wine of it at home from it.

I don't think people do it as a way to save money, but as a "look what
neato thing I made!" sort of hobby...I'd like to make wine and beer just
ONCE to see if I could...other than that I'm happy buying.

<snip>

--

The movie of my life must be really low-budget. - Harry Dresden
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> I'd want to make the beer from a recipe a few times, then fiddle with
> the recipe to see if I could make something more to my liking or
> different from anything that could be bought commercially.

Which is exactly what all my homebrewing friends do. Like good home
cooking, it's just *better* than anything you can buy commercially.

I used to make mead, honey wine, but for medical reasons I can't drink
any more.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

You may want to start with a kit for your first couple of times in
making beer. It can be a little tricky. Their are cans of premixed
barley/hops that make beer making a lot easier and a lot more
dependable. I would highly recommend starting out this way.

StephanieM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler > wrote in
:

> I'd want to make the beer from a recipe a few times, then fiddle with
> the recipe to see if I could make something more to my liking or
> different from anything that could be bought commercially.

LOL!!!
I was just looking at these websites last night, and thinking I'm going
to have to go in and pay them a visit!!

http://www.brewsbrothers.com.au/

and

http://www.bru4u.com/brewing.html

As for the wine....... I wouldn't bother at the moment. There is a glut
on the market and you can get commercial wine a helluva lot cheaper than
the stuff you make.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The more I think about it, the more I realize that I just like the idea
of shopping on Diagon Alley more than I like the idea of actually doing
anything as far as making beer or wine. I just want tattooed bikers
welcoming me into a sweet smelling store more than I want to buy
anything there. I don't even want to make my own beer at a
brew-on-premises. I don't like beer under most circumstances.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> The more I think about it, the more I realize that I just like the idea
> of shopping on Diagon Alley more than I like the idea of actually doing
> anything as far as making beer or wine.

which is why I didn't take the time to post a message about how easy it
is to make great tasting beer...

>I just want tattooed bikers
> welcoming me into a sweet smelling store more than I want to buy
> anything there. I

You RFC trollops are all alike! Non-tatooed/non-biker stud muffins
don't stand a chance! I demand a meeting of the Cabal (TINC)!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kuvasz guy wrote:

> You RFC trollops are all alike!

You don't know that we're all alike until you've tried us all.
(And that's the first time I've been called a trollop. I am SO proud.)

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> kuvasz guy wrote:
>
> > You RFC trollops are all alike!

> You don't know that we're all alike until you've tried us all.

how about if we just exchange holiday cookies?

> (And that's the first time I've been called a trollop. I am SO proud.)

The Head Trollop will be contacting you shortly to arrange your
initiation ceremony...

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kuvasz guy" > wrote

> Julia Altshuler wrote:

>> You don't know that we're all alike until you've tried us all.

> how about if we just exchange holiday cookies?

I knew you were a wus!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "kuvasz guy" > wrote
>
> > Julia Altshuler wrote:

> >> You don't know that we're all alike until you've tried us all.

> > how about if we just exchange holiday cookies?

> I knew you were a wus!
>
> nancy

<lol> Nah, just Darwinism in action -- I don't know how many of those
biker dudes she's got hiding in the closet...

...fred

Drinking beer and then wine JWBH[_1_] Winemaking 23 30-08-2007 04:51 PM
FA: 1-Day-Left: 6 Books: BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER, BEER! (Beer Tasting, Logs, Drinking Games, etc.) Mike[_26_] Marketplace 0 07-07-2007 01:18 PM
beer vs wine Matthew Suffidy Winemaking 6 05-12-2006 05:43 PM
beer keg for wine Joe Winemaking 0 01-04-2004 04:25 AM
Storng beer Wine xodarap777 Winemaking 0 29-11-2003 10:19 PM