Old 05-10-2003, 08:34 PM
Dave Smith

Default Can you ask your grocery store to stock stuff?

Gary wrote:

Yes, that's what I'm talking about: apathy. That's a nice way of telling you, "Who cares?
Get lost! (I can't be bothered with what the *customer* wants)". The bigger the chain,
the more prevalent that attitude is.

Sometimes they just don't know. A number of years ago I was looking for Seville oranges to
make marmalade. They are usually only around for a week or two, so as soon as I hear they are
in I have to rush out to get some. I stopped at a grocery store and when I could not see
them I asked one of the produce department clerks if theory were in or if they were
expecting. He said " Oh yeah, I know the ones you mean. They are really delicious".
Obviously he didn't have a clue about Seville oranges. They make great marmalade, but they
are horrible to eat.

Old 09-10-2003, 03:25 PM
Maxine in RI

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 17:25:46 -0600, Gary
spake:

|I would never expect a large food chain to even listen, much less stock something
|at *my* request. OTOH, that gives the smaller stores an advantage over the big
|ones. That's a way for them to take customers away from the big chains.
|
|Gary

Funny. I've made special requests at Super Stop&Shop, and they
have complied, and called me to boot when the stuff came in.

maxine in ri
Old 10-10-2003, 11:55 AM
Siobhan Perricone

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 10:25:13 -0400, Maxine in RI
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 17:25:46 -0600, Gary
spake:

|I would never expect a large food chain to even listen, much less stock something
|at *my* request. OTOH, that gives the smaller stores an advantage over the big
|ones. That's a way for them to take customers away from the big chains.
|
|Gary

Funny. I've made special requests at Super Stop&Shop, and they
have complied, and called me to boot when the stuff came in.

I've asked our local price chopper to get more flavours of Diet Rite.
Though they were already getting the cola, so it wasn't something entirely
new. They added one new flavour, and not the one I wanted most. *shrug*

--
Siobhan Perricone
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or

You have a choice: www.deanforamerica.com
Feel free to contact me about him, he was my governor and "boss" for 10 years.

"If the percent of minorities in your state has anything to do with how you
can connect with African American voters, then Trent Lott would be Martin
Luther King, Jr." - Howard Dean
Old 10-10-2003, 02:27 PM
Gary

Maxine in RI wrote:

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 17:25:46 -0600, Gary
spake:

|I would never expect a large food chain to even listen, much less stock something
|at *my* request. OTOH, that gives the smaller stores an advantage over the big
|ones. That's a way for them to take customers away from the big chains.
|
|Gary

Funny. I've made special requests at Super Stop&Shop, and they
have complied, and called me to boot when the stuff came in.

maxine in ri

Must be the exception, not the rule. )

Gary