Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Breakfast Biscuit Sandwiches for Lunch

Early this morning I baked an entire 12 oz. package of bacon on the rack
over my broiler pan. 400F, 10-15 minutes, watch it closely after 10
minutes. No, I'm not planning to eat all that bacon at once! much as I love
bacon I'll be using some of it to add (crumbled) to a pot of lentil soup
tomorrow.

I didn't make it to have for breakfast. A short while ago I made a batch of
biscuits - yes, I'll admit, using Bisquick because my biscuits just don't
come out nice and light anymore. Meanwhile I heated up a little of the
bacon grease from the broiler pan and scrambled a couple of eggs (these eggs
were on the small side) seasoned lightly with a little pepper and some of
Penzey's Parisienne Bonnes Herbs. When the eggs were almost set but still
fluffy-ish (I believe that's a technical cooking term ) I removed the pan
from the heat, continuing to stir the eggs for a minute off the heat.

I'd removed the biscuits from the oven about 5 minutes earlier; they were
still nice and hot. I sliced open two of the biscuits and placed a couple
of slices of bacon, folded over, on each biscuit base. I spooned the hot
set eggs on top of the bacon and added a half a slice of American cheese
(the real deal, not "cheese-food") on top. Put the tops back on the
biscuits.

Voila! Two breakfast biscuit sandwiches for lunch

Jill

Attached Images

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:27:54 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

<snip another boring post>

>Voila! Two breakfast biscuit sandwiches for lunch
>
>Jill

Now that you're done stuffing your face remove the attachment from
your posts.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> Voila! Two breakfast biscuit sandwiches for lunch
>
> Jill
>

> begin 666 smile.gif
> Attachment decoded: smile.gif
> `
> end
>
> begin 666 lol.gif
> Attachment decoded: lol.gif
> `
> end

No fair! Ya tease!!!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> jmcquown said...
>
>> Voila! Two breakfast biscuit sandwiches for lunch
>>
>> Jill
>>

> No fair! Ya tease!!!
>
> Andy

All's fair in food and cooking, I guess! After making lentil soup tomorrow
I'll still have a few slices of bacon left. So I guess I'll make breakfast
to eat for "brunch". Maybe a 3 egg omelette filled with crumbled bacon,
spinach and swiss cheese. I'd prefer to use brie in the omelette but I'm
watching my pennies (dammit!).

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-11-29, jmcquown > wrote:

> Voila! Two breakfast biscuit sandwiches for lunch

I just discovered Pillsbury now makes a breakfast sandwich sized frozen
biscuit. Fried up a sausage patty and an egg and a voilą sandwich
here, too.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-11-29, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>> Voila! Two breakfast biscuit sandwiches for lunch

> I just discovered Pillsbury now makes a breakfast sandwich sized
> frozen biscuit. Fried up a sausage patty and an egg and a voilą
> sandwich here, too.
>
> nb

How were those biscuits? I tried another brand of frozen biscuits once
(can't remember the brand, wasn't anything I'd heard of) and was less than
impressed. I have leftover biscuits so I'm seeing sausage gravy in my
future

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > writes:
>I just discovered Pillsbury now makes a breakfast sandwich sized frozen
>biscuit. Fried up a sausage patty and an egg and a voilą sandwich
>here, too.

My wife bought some of these, and I don't care for them so much.
The texture is almost okay (there is a slight bit of gumminess
if they aren't baked right) but the flavor has a slightly off,
almost rancid, fat flavor. I'm not really sure why, but
I'm not going to try them again. To be fair, the market where
we shop sometimes has problems with frozen food. There have
been some things that have obviously thawed and been refrozen.
The end result is that we don't buy a lot of frozen food there.

She made breakfast sandwiches for the kids. They didn't seem
to mind.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-11-29, jmcquown > wrote:

> How were those biscuits? I tried another brand of frozen biscuits once

I love 'em. I always have a bag in the freezer. Albertson's brand is
good, too. I'd never pay full price, but they're on sale for half
price often enough I don't have to worry. They're perfect for making
just one or two biscuits. Nothing at all like the pop-tube biscuits.
I bake 'em in my toaster oven at about 375 deg F for 15 mins and
they're perfect. Another poster sugested they're a little gummy. I
find this the case due to residual moisture when fresh out of the
oven. Split biscuit and wait a couple mins for the moisture to
evaporate and they're just fine.

I was gonna try and make and freeze my own biscuits, but I don't think
I can make a dozen biscuits for $2. Buttermilk, no way.

nb

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> Andy wrote:
>> jmcquown said...
>>
>>> Voila! Two breakfast biscuit sandwiches for lunch
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> No fair! Ya tease!!!
>>
>> Andy

> All's fair in food and cooking, I guess! After making lentil soup
> tomorrow I'll still have a few slices of bacon left. So I guess I'll
> make breakfast to eat for "brunch". Maybe a 3 egg omelette filled
> with crumbled bacon, spinach and swiss cheese. I'd prefer to use brie
> in the omelette but I'm watching my pennies (dammit!).
>
> Jill

"DOC! Thank God! Come quick! It's Jill! She's fallen off her rocker.
Hurry! What? Uhm, YES! Yes! She said SWISS CHEESE! WHAT?. Oh, YES, it was
in an omelette! What do you mean did it have bacon in it? I think so, I
think there was some leftover. What do you mean is there any brie in the
house? NO, no, she never said anything about a brunch!

<click>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

guy klose wrote:
> notbob > writes:
> >I just discovered Pillsbury now makes a breakfast sandwich sized frozen
> >biscuit. Fried up a sausage patty and an egg and a voilą sandwich
> >here, too.

> My wife bought some of these, and I don't care for them so much.
> The texture is almost okay (there is a slight bit of gumminess
> if they aren't baked right) but the flavor has a slightly off,
> almost rancid, fat flavor. I'm not really sure why, but
> I'm not going to try them again. To be fair, the market where
> we shop sometimes has problems with frozen food. There have
> been some things that have obviously thawed and been refrozen.
> The end result is that we don't buy a lot of frozen food there.
>
> She made breakfast sandwiches for the kids. They didn't seem
> to mind.

To me, those Pillsbury tube biscuits always taste "off." I don't like
'em. It is so fast and easy to make buttermilk biscuits, and
buttermilk lasts a long time, so that's what I do.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> To me, those Pillsbury tube biscuits always taste "off." I don't like
> 'em. It is so fast and easy to make buttermilk biscuits, and
> buttermilk lasts a long time, so that's what I do.

That's it exactly. The texture isn't so bad, but the
odd, off flavors make that product unusable to me.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 29, 4:33 pm, "Nancy2" > wrote:

>To me, those Pillsbury tube biscuits always taste "off." I don't like
> 'em. It is so fast and easy to make buttermilk biscuits, and
> buttermilk lasts a long time, so that's what I do.
>
> N.

Try the Pillsbury frozen biscuits in the blue plastic resealable bag.
Very, very good and not like the canned biscuits at all. White Lilly
makes a bagged biscuit, too, but I thought it was a bit too dry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Early this morning I baked an entire 12 oz. package of bacon on the rack
> over my broiler pan. 400F, 10-15 minutes, watch it closely after 10
> minutes. No, I'm not planning to eat all that bacon at once! much as I love
> bacon I'll be using some of it to add (crumbled) to a pot of lentil soup
> tomorrow.
>
> I didn't make it to have for breakfast. A short while ago I made a batch of
> biscuits - yes, I'll admit, using Bisquick because my biscuits just don't
> come out nice and light anymore. Meanwhile I heated up a little of the
> bacon grease from the broiler pan and scrambled a couple of eggs (these eggs
> were on the small side) seasoned lightly with a little pepper and some of
> Penzey's Parisienne Bonnes Herbs. When the eggs were almost set but still
> fluffy-ish (I believe that's a technical cooking term ) I removed the pan
> from the heat, continuing to stir the eggs for a minute off the heat.
>
> I'd removed the biscuits from the oven about 5 minutes earlier; they were
> still nice and hot. I sliced open two of the biscuits and placed a couple
> of slices of bacon, folded over, on each biscuit base. I spooned the hot
> set eggs on top of the bacon and added a half a slice of American cheese
> (the real deal, not "cheese-food") on top. Put the tops back on the
> biscuits.
>
> Voila! Two breakfast biscuit sandwiches for lunch
>
> Jill
>

> begin 666 smile.gif
> M1TE&.#EA#P`/`)$!`````+^_O___`````"'Y! $```$`+ `````/``\```(N
> MC V9QY$"X6(@6GGJO0!)+3RA$XDA:&Y6JGXMIX$K%G,8^2EE]G:4?&ID%+Y#
> #`0`[
> `
> end
>
> begin 666 lol.gif
> M1TE&.#EA#P`/`)$"`````/__`````````"'_"TY%5%-#05!%,BXP`P$````A
> M^00%"@`"`"P`````#P`/```$-%!("6J=6-3 ^<5 )WI3.(X`Y9G!UFI>;,[L
> M*;KV7><M;?TD'_ %6UDZ*54N6=I],II?)@(`(?D$!0H``@`L`P`#``D`!@``
> 7!!-0`"#JE"%0D'D-`AA69&F64ZI&`#L`
> `
> end

Just wondering why y'all are using Bisquick or packaged- biscuits are
so easy to make, and homemade are soooo much tastier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

*snip 758397423407230 gigabyte essay about bacon and egg sandwiches and
ridiculous sig file

Your inane rambling posts aren't enough, now we get HTML, too? LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 30 Nov 2006 04:44:13p, jmcquown meant to say...

> merryb wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>> Just wondering why y'all are using Bisquick or packaged- biscuits are
>> so easy to make, and homemade are soooo much tastier.

> I used to be gifted at making biscuits. They were light and flakey and
> rose oh so nicely! Doesn't matter that I always use "fresh" baking
> powder, buttermilk, handle the dough as little as possible. In the last
> 10 years my biscuits have turned out like hockey pucks. Hard round
> lumps which, if I threw one at you and hit you with it, would cause some
> serious damage! Somewhere along the line I lost my magic touch. So I
> use Bisquick. It works for me
>
> Jill

What kind of flour do you use, Jill? You should be able to get White Lily
in the Memphis area, and it's about the best for biscuits. I can't buy it
here, so I use pastry flour for mine. All-purpose flour has too much
protein to make good biscuits. Having said that, I always have a box of
Bisquick on hand, too.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Procrastination Day Has Been Postponed!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> Just wondering why y'all are using Bisquick or packaged- biscuits are
> so easy to make, and homemade are soooo much tastier.

I used to be gifted at making biscuits. They were light and flakey and rose
oh so nicely! Doesn't matter that I always use "fresh" baking powder,
buttermilk, handle the dough as little as possible. In the last 10 years my
biscuits have turned out like hockey pucks. Hard round lumps which, if I
threw one at you and hit you with it, would cause some serious damage!
Somewhere along the line I lost my magic touch. So I use Bisquick. It
works for me

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 30 Nov 2006 05:20:23p, merryb meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Oh pshaw, on Thu 30 Nov 2006 04:44:13p, jmcquown meant to say...

>> > I used to be gifted at making biscuits. They were light and flakey

and
>> > rose oh so nicely! Doesn't matter that I always use "fresh" baking
>> > powder, buttermilk, handle the dough as little as possible. In the

last
>> > 10 years my biscuits have turned out like hockey pucks. Hard round
>> > lumps which, if I threw one at you and hit you with it, would cause

some
>> > serious damage! Somewhere along the line I lost my magic touch. So I
>> > use Bisquick. It works for me
>> >
>> > Jill

>> What kind of flour do you use, Jill? You should be able to get White

Lily
>> in the Memphis area, and it's about the best for biscuits. I can't buy

it
>> here, so I use pastry flour for mine. All-purpose flour has too much
>> protein to make good biscuits. Having said that, I always have a box of
>> Bisquick on hand, too.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> Procrastination Day Has Been Postponed!

> I use all purpose, and have never had a problem- I think it's the
> method. I make mine like pie dough- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt-
> I grate frozen unsalted butter into the flour- toss around gently to
> get the butter evenly dispersed, then add liquid. Mix gently until it
> holds together, and knead once or twice. You should still see chunks of
> butter in the dough. I always cut into squares or triangles as
> oppossed to using a cutter as rolling a second time is a bad idea. They
> rise like puff dough and separate into layers. Perfect every time!

Your method certainly would make wonderful biscuits. Using soft flour
makes it easier with possibly less care. I would love to taste your
biscuits!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Procrastination Day Has Been Postponed!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Thu 30 Nov 2006 04:44:13p, jmcquown meant to say...
>
> > merryb wrote:
> >> jmcquown wrote:
> >> Just wondering why y'all are using Bisquick or packaged- biscuits are
> >> so easy to make, and homemade are soooo much tastier.

> > I used to be gifted at making biscuits. They were light and flakey and
> > rose oh so nicely! Doesn't matter that I always use "fresh" baking
> > powder, buttermilk, handle the dough as little as possible. In the last
> > 10 years my biscuits have turned out like hockey pucks. Hard round
> > lumps which, if I threw one at you and hit you with it, would cause some
> > serious damage! Somewhere along the line I lost my magic touch. So I
> > use Bisquick. It works for me
> >
> > Jill

> What kind of flour do you use, Jill? You should be able to get White Lily
> in the Memphis area, and it's about the best for biscuits. I can't buy it
> here, so I use pastry flour for mine. All-purpose flour has too much
> protein to make good biscuits. Having said that, I always have a box of
> Bisquick on hand, too.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> Procrastination Day Has Been Postponed!

I use all purpose, and have never had a problem- I think it's the
method. I make mine like pie dough- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt-
I grate frozen unsalted butter into the flour- toss around gently to
get the butter evenly dispersed, then add liquid. Mix gently until it
holds together, and knead once or twice. You should still see chunks of
butter in the dough. I always cut into squares or triangles as
oppossed to using a cutter as rolling a second time is a bad idea. They
rise like puff dough and separate into layers. Perfect every time!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 30 Nov 2006 06:11:34p, Andy meant to say...

> merryb said...
>
>> I use all purpose, and have never had a problem- I think it's the
>> method. I make mine like pie dough- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt-
>> I grate frozen unsalted butter into the flour- toss around gently to
>> get the butter evenly dispersed, then add liquid. Mix gently until it
>> holds together, and knead once or twice. You should still see chunks of
>> butter in the dough. I always cut into squares or triangles as
>> oppossed to using a cutter as rolling a second time is a bad idea. They
>> rise like puff dough and separate into layers. Perfect every time!

> Ooh!!!
>
> Makes me wanna give it the ol' college try!!!
>
> Andy

Andy, nobody made biscuits like these in college. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Procrastination Day Has Been Postponed!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 6:20 pm, "merryb" > wrote:

>I use all purpose, and have never had a problem- I think it's the
> method. I make mine like pie dough- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt-
> I grate frozen unsalted butter into the flour- toss around gently to
> get the butter evenly dispersed, then add liquid. Mix gently until it
> holds together, and knead once or twice. You should still see chunks of
> butter in the dough. I always cut into squares or triangles as
> oppossed to using a cutter as rolling a second time is a bad idea. They
> rise like puff dough and separate into layers. Perfect every time!

Unfortunately, my biscuit skills are sadly lacking. There's just me,
the kitchen is tiny, and I got tired of washing walls down and mopping
floors whenever I tried my hand at biscuits. I just buy the Pillsbury
as the bags are small and resealable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb said...

> I use all purpose, and have never had a problem- I think it's the
> method. I make mine like pie dough- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt-
> I grate frozen unsalted butter into the flour- toss around gently to
> get the butter evenly dispersed, then add liquid. Mix gently until it
> holds together, and knead once or twice. You should still see chunks of
> butter in the dough. I always cut into squares or triangles as
> oppossed to using a cutter as rolling a second time is a bad idea. They
> rise like puff dough and separate into layers. Perfect every time!

Ooh!!!

Makes me wanna give it the ol' college try!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright said...

> Oh pshaw, on Thu 30 Nov 2006 06:11:34p, Andy meant to say...
>
>> merryb said...
>>
>>> I use all purpose, and have never had a problem- I think it's the
>>> method. I make mine like pie dough- Mix flour, baking powder, and

salt-
>>> I grate frozen unsalted butter into the flour- toss around gently to
>>> get the butter evenly dispersed, then add liquid. Mix gently until it
>>> holds together, and knead once or twice. You should still see chunks

of
>>> butter in the dough. I always cut into squares or triangles as
>>> oppossed to using a cutter as rolling a second time is a bad idea.

They
>>> rise like puff dough and separate into layers. Perfect every time!

>> Ooh!!!
>>
>> Makes me wanna give it the ol' college try!!!
>>
>> Andy
>>

> Andy, nobody made biscuits like these in college. :-)

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> merryb said...
>
> > I use all purpose, and have never had a problem- I think it's the
> > method. I make mine like pie dough- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt-
> > I grate frozen unsalted butter into the flour- toss around gently to
> > get the butter evenly dispersed, then add liquid. Mix gently until it
> > holds together, and knead once or twice. You should still see chunks of
> > butter in the dough. I always cut into squares or triangles as
> > oppossed to using a cutter as rolling a second time is a bad idea. They
> > rise like puff dough and separate into layers. Perfect every time!

> Ooh!!!
>
> Makes me wanna give it the ol' college try!!!
>
> Andy

Do it to it!