Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Can Milk Be Frozen?

We have 2 young boys who go through about 2 gallons of milk a week. We have
a chest freezer in the basement, and we were wondering if we could freeze
milk so we don't have to run to the store so often.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Buck Turgidson wrote:
> We have 2 young boys who go through about 2 gallons of milk a week. We have
> a chest freezer in the basement, and we were wondering if we could freeze
> milk so we don't have to run to the store so often.

Sure. Milk freezes well.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> Buck Turgidson wrote:
> > We have 2 young boys who go through about 2 gallons of milk a week. We have
> > a chest freezer in the basement, and we were wondering if we could freeze
> > milk so we don't have to run to the store so often.

> Sure. Milk freezes well.
>
> --Lia

Milk freezes well, thaw it in the fridge. Just don't try it with half &
half, or cream. (It separates).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 18:07:14 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"
> wrote:

>We have 2 young boys who go through about 2 gallons of milk a week. We have
>a chest freezer in the basement, and we were wondering if we could freeze
>milk so we don't have to run to the store so often.
>
>Thanks.

When you thaw it in the fridge, it takes a few days to thaw.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "Buck Turgidson" >
> :
>
>> We have 2 young boys who go through about 2 gallons of milk a week.
>> We have a chest freezer in the basement, and we were wondering if we
>> could freeze milk so we don't have to run to the store so often.
>>
>> Thanks.

> Never had a problem freezing it. I've never left it in the freezer
> for more than a couple of weeks though. I really don't know how long
> it will still be okay when frozen.
>
> Michael

Mom always froze milk, as far back as I can remember. She shops at the
military commissary which, as you can imagine, isn't the same as running to
a store down the street. Unless we lived on base, which was rare, it was
always quite a drive away. So she'd stock up on half gallons and keep them
in the freezer. You might need to shake the jug after it's thawed, that's
about it. I can't taste any difference.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My parents did exactly that froze milk, so they wouldn't have to go to the
store as often. It was 2 percent milk. I personally thought it was awful.
I think some of the milk fat wouldn't incorporate back in the milk and it
had white spots in the milk as you drank it. Very unappetizing and it just
didn't taste right to me. I was a teenager and might have psyched myself
out, but as an adult I will never freeze milk because of that experience.

Lynne

"Buck Turgidson" > wrote in message
> We have 2 young boys who go through about 2 gallons of milk a week. We
> have a chest freezer in the basement, and we were wondering if we could
> freeze milk so we don't have to run to the store so often.
>
> Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 18:07:14 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"
> wrote:

>We have 2 young boys who go through about 2 gallons of milk a week. We have
>a chest freezer in the basement, and we were wondering if we could freeze
>milk so we don't have to run to the store so often.
>
>Thanks.

Just curious. Where do you live and how often do you shop now? If
you're not in the outback, maybe you need an extra refrigerator.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 18:07:14 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"
> > wrote:
>
>> We have 2 young boys who go through about 2 gallons of milk a week.
>> We have a chest freezer in the basement, and we were wondering if we
>> could freeze milk so we don't have to run to the store so often.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Just curious. Where do you live and how often do you shop now? If
> you're not in the outback, maybe you need an extra refrigerator.

But why bother with that extra expense when milk can be frozen in the
existing chest freezer?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 18:07:14 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"
> wrote:

>We have 2 young boys who go through about 2 gallons of milk a week. We have
>a chest freezer in the basement, and we were wondering if we could freeze
>milk so we don't have to run to the store so often.

My mom did it all the time (she had four teenagers in the house at
once). Takes a while to thaw, though, so take it out sooner than you
think you should.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

King's Crown wrote:
> My parents did exactly that froze milk, so they wouldn't have to go to the
> store as often. It was 2 percent milk. I personally thought it was awful.
> I think some of the milk fat wouldn't incorporate back in the milk and it
> had white spots in the milk as you drank it. Very unappetizing and it just
> didn't taste right to me. I was a teenager and might have psyched myself
> out, but as an adult I will never freeze milk because of that experience.

I'm with you on this one. I know it doesn't do any 'harm' to freeze milk
but I have always found that the milk we buy here 'separates' after
thawing. (Our 'full-cream' milk contains 3.4g of milk fat per 100ml of
milk). Hence, I don't freeze milk if I can avoid it.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote

> King's Crown wrote:
>> My parents did exactly that froze milk, so they wouldn't have to go to
>> the store as often. It was 2 percent milk. I personally thought it was
>> awful. I think some of the milk fat wouldn't incorporate back in the milk
>> and it had white spots in the milk as you drank it. Very unappetizing
>> and it just didn't taste right to me. I was a teenager and might have
>> psyched myself out, but as an adult I will never freeze milk because of
>> that experience.

> I'm with you on this one. I know it doesn't do any 'harm' to freeze milk
> but I have always found that the milk we buy here 'separates' after
> thawing. (Our 'full-cream' milk contains 3.4g of milk fat per 100ml of
> milk). Hence, I don't freeze milk if I can avoid it.

I've never tried freezing milk, never had the need to, but every time I've
read about doing that, the recommendation is to give it a good shake
once it's thawed. Sorry if someone has already mentioned that.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote

>> I'm with you on this one. I know it doesn't do any 'harm' to freeze milk
>> but I have always found that the milk we buy here 'separates' after
>> thawing. (Our 'full-cream' milk contains 3.4g of milk fat per 100ml of
>> milk). Hence, I don't freeze milk if I can avoid it.

> I've never tried freezing milk, never had the need to, but every time I've
> read about doing that, the recommendation is to give it a good shake
> once it's thawed. Sorry if someone has already mentioned that.

IME, shaking it doesn't help! Luckily I don't usually have to freeze
milk these days... I generally buy 4 liters (about a gallon?) at a time
and its gone long before it goes off - because I have a kidlet who loves
to drink milk BTW, our closest store is about 10km away, but I don't
mind going out to buy it if I run out.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> I've never tried freezing milk, never had the need to, but every time
>> I've
>> read about doing that, the recommendation is to give it a good shake
>> once it's thawed. Sorry if someone has already mentioned that.

> IME, shaking it doesn't help!

I take your word for it. When I was a kid and we ran out of milk,
my mother would break out the instant milk. We all hated that stuff.

>Luckily I don't usually have to freeze milk these days... I generally buy 4
>liters (about a gallon?) at a time and its gone long before it goes off -
>because I have a kidlet who loves to drink milk BTW, our closest store
>is about 10km away, but I don't mind going out to buy it if I run out.

Yeah, it's a non-issue for me, the store is a mile away and I don't
use milk often and rarely drink it. Of course, because of this
discussion, I had to have a glass with my nutritious breakfast of
chocolate Rice Krispies treats.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> "Buck Turgidson" wrote:
>
> >We have 2 young boys who go through about 2 gallons of milk a week. We have
> >a chest freezer in the basement, and we were wondering if we could freeze
> >milk so we don't have to run to the store so often.

> Just curious. Where do you live and how often do you shop now? If
> you're not in the outback, maybe you need an extra refrigerator.

I freeze milk all the time because a gallon lasts me about two weeks,
or longer, so as soon as I get home I pour it into two half gallon
containers and freeze one. Just don't fill the containers fully as
milk will expand substantially as it freezes... I just pour some out
into cat bowls to get rid of the extra, they are who drink most of the
milk anyways. I know, I can buy milk in a half gallon container to
begin with but buying by the gallon saves about a dollar over buying
two half gallons... not really much inconvenience for saving $25/year.
And keeping large masses of ice in the freezer cuts down on the energy
bill... will also keep the freezer colder longer in case of a power
failure

And half gallons are eaier to handle, fit in the freezer better too.
Defrosting is no biggie, when I see the one I'm using is running low I
place a frozen one into the kitchen sink that night, by morning it's
still better than half frozen. And perhaps I'm imagining that freezing
somehow plays with the microbes but I've found that once milk has been
frozen it stays fresh in the fridge a few days longer.

Since I don't drink milk, I only use it for cooking, I don't really
notice a difference and my cats drink it the same as unfrozen milk.
Now that bottle of vodka in the freezer, the cats don't get any of
that. hehe

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 10:44 am, "Sheldon" > wrote:

> And keeping large masses of ice in the freezer cuts down on the energy
> bill...

Nope

It costs to freeze milk and keep it frozen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
>
> > And keeping large masses of ice in the freezer cuts down on the energy
> > bill...

> Nope
>
> It costs to freeze milk and keep it frozen.

Only if your freezer is otherwise turned off.... and it costs more to
keep air cold than solids.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

NO NO NO
Freezing milk SPOILS IT.
don't be stupid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> On Nov 26, 10:44 am, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

>> And keeping large masses of ice in the freezer cuts down on the energy
>> bill...
>>

> Nope
>
> It costs to freeze milk and keep it frozen.

Every energy saving article I've ever read suggests filling unused
freezer space with containers of water (or milk as the case may be) as
the cold bricks of ice help keep the entire unit from working so hard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> Terry wrote:
> > On Nov 26, 10:44 am, "Sheldon" > wrote:
> >

> >> And keeping large masses of ice in the freezer cuts down on the energy
> >> bill...
> >>

> > Nope
> >
> > It costs to freeze milk and keep it frozen.
> >

> Every energy saving article I've ever read suggests filling unused
> freezer space with containers of water (or milk as the case may be) as
> the cold bricks of ice help keep the entire unit from working so hard.

My freezer is now chock - full, and that includes the containers (quart -
size plastic soda bottles with the top half cut off) I use to make my famous
"giant ice cubes" and quart containers of stock and soup, I notice the
fridge works much less harder than when it was fairly empty (my fridge is
about eight feet away from my computer desk)...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

King's Crown wrote on 25 Nov 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> My parents did exactly that froze milk, so they wouldn't have to go to
> the store as often. It was 2 percent milk. I personally thought it
> was awful. I think some of the milk fat wouldn't incorporate back in
> the milk and it had white spots in the milk as you drank it. Very
> unappetizing and it just didn't taste right to me. I was a teenager
> and might have psyched myself out, but as an adult I will never freeze
> milk because of that experience.
>
> Lynne
>
> "Buck Turgidson" > wrote in message
> > We have 2 young boys who go through about 2 gallons of milk a week.
> > We have a chest freezer in the basement, and we were wondering if we
> > could freeze milk so we don't have to run to the store so often.
> >
> > Thanks.

Personally I found milk froze well. You just had to shake/stir it well
after it dethawed to get it to re-combine.

The ex used to freeze plastic bagged 2 % milk quite regularly when the
kids were young...our only real problem was the plastic bag leaking due
to small holes.

In fact she'd use the defrost cycle in the microwave with the plastic
milk sack in a plastic jug (in case of leaks) then pour it all together
into the jug and stir well to re-combine then put it in the fridge.

The kids and I never noticed a difference in flavour or texture.