Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Turkey Gravy Revisited (long)

I've always made decent gravy, in fact most people would say excellent, but
I wanted to try something different this year. The results were superior
to anything I've made in the past. This is what I did...

Since I only roast a turkey breast, I also bought a package of turkey
wings. Yesterday I popped them into a roasting pan with a couple each of
carrots, stalks of celery, a medium onion coarsely chopped (with the skin),
and a couple of cloves of garlic. Tossed in a tablespoon or so of oil and
a bit of salt. Roasted this mixture until everything was nicely browned.

Removed roasting pan to the stovetop, added 4 cups chicken broth, a
teaspoon of whole peppercorns, 5 whole allspice berries, a bay leaf, a
handful of fresh parsley, and a teaspoon of poultry seasoning. Brought
this to a boil, then reduced to a simmer for about 45 minutes. Removed
from the heat, then strained through doubled cheesecloth. Cooled and
refrigerated overnight.

This morning I removed the solidified fat and allowed the stock to warm to
room temperature.

Meanwhile, I browned 3/4 cup all-purpose flour in a dry pan in a 375° oven
until it was golden tan, then set aside.

When the turkey breast was done, I drained off the pan juices and browned
bits and allowed the fat to rise to the top, then removing it. I mixed the
two quantities of fat, then measured out about 1/2 cup.

Measured out 2 cups of the pan juices, adding back the measured fat, then
added 2 cups of the previously prepared stock. Brought this mixture to a
slow boil.

Meanwhile, put the remaining 2 cups of stock in the blender and added the
browned flour. Whirled this together on lowest speed until completely
smooth.

Added the stock/flour mixture in a steady stream to the simmering pot while
whisking constantly, then returned to a boil while whisking until it
thickened. Reduced heat to a bare simmer and cooked, covered, for another
half hour. Then put on the warming burner.

This was the smoothest, most flavorful gravy I've ever tasted. It may
sound like a lot of work, but it really wasn't, since the effort was spaced
out.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 23 Nov 2006 10:15:49p, Bronwyn meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I've always made decent gravy, in fact most people would say excellent,
>> but I wanted to try something different this year. The results were
>> superior to anything I've made in the past. This is what I did...
>>
>>[snip]
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

> Your're way too good Wayne! What a good job. Hope your TDay and
> festivities are everything you wish for.
>
> Cheers
> Bronwyn

Why thanks, Bronwyn! Coming from you, I consider that a huge compliment!

We had a lovely and very relaxing day. This was our last holiday meal in
this house, as we are moving in December, sometime just short of Christmas.
I'm looking forward to a new and larger kitchen.

Have you planned your Christmas meal yet? I'm always curious, since our
climates/seasons are topsy turvy.

Warm regards,

--
Wayne Boatwright

Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I've always made decent gravy, in fact most people would say excellent, but
> I wanted to try something different this year. The results were superior
> to anything I've made in the past. This is what I did...
>
>[snip]
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

Your're way too good Wayne! What a good job. Hope your TDay and
festivities are everything you wish for.

Cheers
Bronwyn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Thu 23 Nov 2006 10:15:49p, Bronwyn meant to say...
>

> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> I've always made decent gravy, in fact most people would say excellent,
> >> but I wanted to try something different this year. The results were
> >> superior to anything I've made in the past. This is what I did...
> >>
> >>[snip]
> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright
> >>
> >> Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

> > Your're way too good Wayne! What a good job. Hope your TDay and
> > festivities are everything you wish for.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Bronwyn
> >

> Why thanks, Bronwyn! Coming from you, I consider that a huge compliment!
>
> We had a lovely and very relaxing day. This was our last holiday meal in
> this house, as we are moving in December, sometime just short of Christmas.
> I'm looking forward to a new and larger kitchen.
>
> Have you planned your Christmas meal yet? I'm always curious, since our
> climates/seasons are topsy turvy.
>
> Warm regards,
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

A new kitchen - now that's something to look forward to!

Last Xmas you might recall we spent the week on an island off South
Australia with DH and my twin with great seafood on the menu.
This year, still the three of us (I/m thinking of putting mirrors
around the room to get the numbers up to 6!!!) Altho' my DH would
protest-eth that 4 of me would be way too many!
Seriously, I'm hoping our doctor and his wife will join us if they are
in town.

It will be here this year - should hot and humid no doubt. Thinking
seafood - maybe a whole large fish like snapper oven roasted in the
Webber....
My pecan plum pudding is world reknown (well, family known) but you
need a bigger crowd. Maybe a lovely cheesecake made from scratch...
Years and years ago I had a couple of Xmas in US (D.C. or Fairfax Va)
and 2 in Niagara, Ont) visiting friends. I would dearly love to have a
Thanksgiving in the US - maybe in 2007 - as I've pencilled in a Houston
visit in early Nov for a quilt convention. Then I'll call you all in
for an invite to TD LOL.
....have to go, will continue...
Bronwyn

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
<snip>

> This was the smoothest, most flavorful gravy I've ever tasted. It may
> sound like a lot of work, but it really wasn't, since the effort was spaced
> out.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Sounds delicious! I would never have thought to use allspice in turkey
gravy - I will bet it gives it a nice edge. I make lkiller gravy but
it's pretty boring in comparison! I crock pot necks overnight, and
cook down the broth from those to use as the base - the necks impart
lots of gelatin and flavor. It's fairly low in fat so I add butter to
get the fat content up.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Never thought of using the crockpot overnight. Hmmm... I usually cook the
> giblets the night before and finish it off the next day. Thanks for the
> suggestion.

It generates a ton of useful meat for dressing and gravy as well. Plus
if you cook it without onion or onion powder, the kitties and/or
doggies get a real treat, too. I just threw in 7 large necks and
about a cup of water, with a touch of garlic powder. The necks
generated the rest of the broth.

> My biggest regret this year is no turkey carcass to make broth with. Day
> after Thanksgiving I always used to make broth. There was almost always
> enough bones, meat etc. to make a decent broth. It's not a full flavored
> stock but good enough for soups. The house smelled terrific.

Yes - I generally utilize all of the carcass that I can, as well.
Turkey is great in that regard.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I've always made decent gravy, in fact most people would say excellent, but
> I wanted to try something different this year. The results were superior
> to anything I've made in the past. This is what I did...

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

> When the turkey breast was done, I drained off the pan juices and browned
> bits and allowed the fat to rise to the top, then removing it. I mixed the
> two quantities of fat, then measured out about 1/2 cup.

You lost me. What two quantities of fat? Did you save fat from the
chilled stock?

> Measured out 2 cups of the pan juices, adding back the measured fat, then
> added 2 cups of the previously prepared stock. Brought this mixture to a
> slow boil.

And you got 2 cups of pan juices from your turkey breast? I only got
3/4 cup
of everything from a 13 lb. turkey and that included the runoff from 3
bastings
with a pomegranite sauce.

Please clarify. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well, Wayne said:...

"This morning I removed the solidified fat and allowed the stock to warm
to room temperature."

I took this to mean the first lot of fat.

Then Wayne said:

"When the turkey breast was done, I drained off the pan juices and
browned bits and allowed the fat to rise to the top, then removing it..."

I took that to mean the 2nd lot of fat.

However, maybe I am wrong

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Nov 2006 05:37:42 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>I've always made decent gravy, in fact most people would say excellent, but
>I wanted to try something different this year. The results were superior
>to anything I've made in the past. This is what I did...
>
>Since I only roast a turkey breast, I also bought a package of turkey
>wings. Yesterday I popped them into a roasting pan with a couple each of
>carrots, stalks of celery, a medium onion coarsely chopped (with the skin),
>and a couple of cloves of garlic. Tossed in a tablespoon or so of oil and
>a bit of salt. Roasted this mixture until everything was nicely browned.
>
>Removed roasting pan to the stovetop, added 4 cups chicken broth, a
>teaspoon of whole peppercorns, 5 whole allspice berries, a bay leaf, a
>handful of fresh parsley, and a teaspoon of poultry seasoning. Brought
>this to a boil, then reduced to a simmer for about 45 minutes. Removed
>from the heat, then strained through doubled cheesecloth. Cooled and
>refrigerated overnight.
>
>This morning I removed the solidified fat and allowed the stock to warm to
>room temperature.
>
>Meanwhile, I browned 3/4 cup all-purpose flour in a dry pan in a 375° oven
>until it was golden tan, then set aside.
>
>When the turkey breast was done, I drained off the pan juices and browned
>bits and allowed the fat to rise to the top, then removing it. I mixed the
>two quantities of fat, then measured out about 1/2 cup.
>
>Measured out 2 cups of the pan juices, adding back the measured fat, then
>added 2 cups of the previously prepared stock. Brought this mixture to a
>slow boil.
>
>Meanwhile, put the remaining 2 cups of stock in the blender and added the
>browned flour. Whirled this together on lowest speed until completely
>smooth.
>
>Added the stock/flour mixture in a steady stream to the simmering pot while
>whisking constantly, then returned to a boil while whisking until it
>thickened. Reduced heat to a bare simmer and cooked, covered, for another
>half hour. Then put on the warming burner.
>
>This was the smoothest, most flavorful gravy I've ever tasted. It may
>sound like a lot of work, but it really wasn't, since the effort was spaced
>out.

Add a quarter cup (or so) of high quality strong coffee and you would
have gotten it perfect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 09:30:19 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:

>There was almost always
>enough bones, meat etc. to make a decent broth. It's not a full flavored
>stock but good enough for soups.

Next time roast those bones (pick the meat off first) along with the
vegetables. It will be much more full flavored. Maybe you can find a
package of wings or necks and make broth anyway.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> stark wrote:
> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> I've always made decent gravy, in fact most people would say excellent, but
> >> I wanted to try something different this year. The results were superior
> >> to anything I've made in the past. This is what I did...

> > . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> >
> >> When the turkey breast was done, I drained off the pan juices and browned
> >> bits and allowed the fat to rise to the top, then removing it. I mixed the
> >> two quantities of fat, then measured out about 1/2 cup.

> > You lost me. What two quantities of fat? Did you save fat from the
> > chilled stock?
> >> Measured out 2 cups of the pan juices, adding back the measured fat, then
> >> added 2 cups of the previously prepared stock. Brought this mixture to a
> >> slow boil.

> > And you got 2 cups of pan juices from your turkey breast? I only got
> > 3/4 cup
> > of everything from a 13 lb. turkey and that included the runoff from 3
> > bastings
> > with a pomegranite sauce.
> >
> > Please clarify. Thanks.
> >

> Well, Wayne said:...
>
> "This morning I removed the solidified fat and allowed the stock to warm
> to room temperature."
>
> I took this to mean the first lot of fat.
>
> Then Wayne said:
>
> "When the turkey breast was done, I drained off the pan juices and
> browned bits and allowed the fat to rise to the top, then removing it..."
>
> I took that to mean the 2nd lot of fat.
>
> However, maybe I am wrong

I use a "V" rack to support the bird so this year I poured 6 cups of
water into the pan, with the giblets and neck (no liver), a carrot, a
couple stalks of celery, and a clove of garlic. This year I had a
rather smallish bird (13lbs) so roasted for almost 5 hours. After
separating the fat I ended up with a full quart of perfect gravy, very
rich... didn't bother to thicken as I like thin gravy, kinda turkey au
jus. As an added benefit the pan and rack were much easier to clean
than usual.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 24 Nov 2006 06:49:18a, stark meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I've always made decent gravy, in fact most people would say excellent,
>> but I wanted to try something different this year. The results were
>> superior to anything I've made in the past. This is what I did...

> . . . . . . . . . . . . .
>
>> When the turkey breast was done, I drained off the pan juices and
>> browned bits and allowed the fat to rise to the top, then removing it.
>> I mixed the two quantities of fat, then measured out about 1/2 cup.

> You lost me. What two quantities of fat? Did you save fat from the
> chilled stock?

Yes, from the stock which was chilled overnight. I removed the fat
afterwards.

>> Measured out 2 cups of the pan juices, adding back the measured fat,
>> then added 2 cups of the previously prepared stock. Brought this
>> mixture to a slow boil.

> And you got 2 cups of pan juices from your turkey breast? I only got
> 3/4 cup
> of everything from a 13 lb. turkey and that included the runoff from 3
> bastings
> with a pomegranite sauce.
>
> Please clarify. Thanks.

I roast a turkey breast on a bed of celery, carrots, and onions, and I use
a roasting bag. The combination of vegetables giving off juices and bag
preventing excess evaporation yields more juice at the end.

Pomegranite sauce, huh. Sounds delicious!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 24 Nov 2006 07:25:28a, Chatty Cathy meant to say...

> stark wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> I've always made decent gravy, in fact most people would say
>>> excellent, but I wanted to try something different this year. The
>>> results were superior to anything I've made in the past. This is what
>>> I did...

>> . . . . . . . . . . . . .
>>
>>> When the turkey breast was done, I drained off the pan juices and
>>> browned bits and allowed the fat to rise to the top, then removing it.
>>> I mixed the two quantities of fat, then measured out about 1/2 cup.

>> You lost me. What two quantities of fat? Did you save fat from the
>> chilled stock?
>>> Measured out 2 cups of the pan juices, adding back the measured fat,
>>> then added 2 cups of the previously prepared stock. Brought this
>>> mixture to a slow boil.

>> And you got 2 cups of pan juices from your turkey breast? I only got
>> 3/4 cup
>> of everything from a 13 lb. turkey and that included the runoff from 3
>> bastings with a pomegranite sauce.
>>
>> Please clarify. Thanks.
>>

> Well, Wayne said:...
>
> "This morning I removed the solidified fat and allowed the stock to warm
> to room temperature."
>
> I took this to mean the first lot of fat.
>
> Then Wayne said:
>
> "When the turkey breast was done, I drained off the pan juices and
> browned bits and allowed the fat to rise to the top, then removing
> it..."
>
> I took that to mean the 2nd lot of fat.
>
> However, maybe I am wrong

You are absolutely right, Cathy!

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 24 Nov 2006 07:30:43a, Philip Adams meant to say...

> On 24 Nov 2006 05:37:42 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I've always made decent gravy, in fact most people would say excellent,
>>but I wanted to try something different this year. The results were
>>superior to anything I've made in the past. This is what I did...
>>
>>Since I only roast a turkey breast, I also bought a package of turkey
>>wings. Yesterday I popped them into a roasting pan with a couple each of
>>carrots, stalks of celery, a medium onion coarsely chopped (with the
>>skin), and a couple of cloves of garlic. Tossed in a tablespoon or so
>>of oil and a bit of salt. Roasted this mixture until everything was
>>nicely browned.
>>
>>Removed roasting pan to the stovetop, added 4 cups chicken broth, a
>>teaspoon of whole peppercorns, 5 whole allspice berries, a bay leaf, a
>>handful of fresh parsley, and a teaspoon of poultry seasoning. Brought
>>this to a boil, then reduced to a simmer for about 45 minutes. Removed
>>from the heat, then strained through doubled cheesecloth. Cooled and
>>refrigerated overnight.
>>
>>This morning I removed the solidified fat and allowed the stock to warm
>>to room temperature.
>>
>>Meanwhile, I browned 3/4 cup all-purpose flour in a dry pan in a 375°
>>oven until it was golden tan, then set aside.
>>
>>When the turkey breast was done, I drained off the pan juices and
>>browned bits and allowed the fat to rise to the top, then removing it.
>>I mixed the two quantities of fat, then measured out about 1/2 cup.
>>
>>Measured out 2 cups of the pan juices, adding back the measured fat,
>>then added 2 cups of the previously prepared stock. Brought this
>>mixture to a slow boil.
>>
>>Meanwhile, put the remaining 2 cups of stock in the blender and added
>>the browned flour. Whirled this together on lowest speed until
>>completely smooth.
>>
>>Added the stock/flour mixture in a steady stream to the simmering pot
>>while whisking constantly, then returned to a boil while whisking until
>>it thickened. Reduced heat to a bare simmer and cooked, covered, for
>>another half hour. Then put on the warming burner.
>>
>>This was the smoothest, most flavorful gravy I've ever tasted. It may
>>sound like a lot of work, but it really wasn't, since the effort was
>>spaced out.

> Add a quarter cup (or so) of high quality strong coffee and you would
> have gotten it perfect.

Hmm, never thought of that, Phillip. I've made a note to try that next
time. Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 24 Nov 2006 02:20:28a, -L. meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> <snip>
>

>> This was the smoothest, most flavorful gravy I've ever tasted. It may
>> sound like a lot of work, but it really wasn't, since the effort was
>> spaced out.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Sounds delicious! I would never have thought to use allspice in turkey
> gravy - I will bet it gives it a nice edge. I make lkiller gravy but
> it's pretty boring in comparison! I crock pot necks overnight, and
> cook down the broth from those to use as the base - the necks impart
> lots of gelatin and flavor. It's fairly low in fat so I add butter to
> get the fat content up.
>
> -L.

Thanks, Lyn. I usually add a few allspice berries to most broths/stocks I
make, also in stews and spaghetti sauce. It's just a hint of flavor, and
doesn't stand out too much.

I've used necks before, but in a stockpot, not a crockpot. That's a good
idea. I bought wings only this time because I really didn't need a package
of both for this one occasion. If the excess went to the freezer, they'd
have hung around too long.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 24 Nov 2006 12:18:28a, Bronwyn meant to say...

> A new kitchen - now that's something to look forward to!

Yes, the present one is a bit cramped and I have no island. The new one
isn't custom, but it has all the features I wanted.

> Last Xmas you might recall we spent the week on an island off South
> Australia with DH and my twin with great seafood on the menu.
> This year, still the three of us (I/m thinking of putting mirrors
> around the room to get the numbers up to 6!!!) Altho' my DH would
> protest-eth that 4 of me would be way too many!
> Seriously, I'm hoping our doctor and his wife will join us if they are
> in town.

Yes, I remember your holiday trip and the time spent with your twin, and
what a great time you had. Hey, I'd put the mirrors up anyway. :-)

> It will be here this year - should hot and humid no doubt. Thinking
> seafood - maybe a whole large fish like snapper oven roasted in the
> Webber....

That sounds like a treat! I've never cooked a whole fish on the grill
before. How would you prepare it? With our practically non-existent
Arizona winters, that would be easy to do here.

> My pecan plum pudding is world reknown (well, family known) but you
> need a bigger crowd.

That sounds wonderful! I love both pecans and plum pudding. Would you
share your recipe when you have the time?

> Maybe a lovely cheesecake made from scratch...

Good homemade cheesecake is a sin...one that is probably not committed
often enough. :-)

> Years and years ago I had a couple of Xmas in US (D.C. or Fairfax Va)
> and 2 in Niagara, Ont) visiting friends.

The Eastern US is a wonderful place to be for the holidays. I've spent
numerous Thansgivings in NYC, and one Christmas in Niagara-On-The-Lake. It
was a wonderful time. We lived for many years in NE Ohio, and shared the
same climate of that area.

> I would dearly love to have a
> Thanksgiving in the US - maybe in 2007 - as I've pencilled in a Houston
> visit in early Nov for a quilt convention. Then I'll call you all in
> for an invite to TD LOL.
> ...have to go, will continue...
> Bronwyn

You know, Texas is adjacent to Arizona. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 24 Nov 2006 10:18:30a, TammyM meant to say...

> On 24 Nov 2006 05:37:42 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I've always made decent gravy, in fact most people would say excellent,
>>but I wanted to try something different this year. The results were
>>superior to anything I've made in the past. This is what I did...

> <snipped>
>
> Wow Wayne! This sounds fabulous. I thought **my** turkey gravy was
> good, but I'll be trying your method next time.
>
> Here's what I did based on a method from the Silver Palate girls:
>
> Put a bed of carrot/celery/onion (chunked) in the roasting pan.
> Plopped turkey on top. Added 3 cups of water to the pan and the
> turkey neck and giblets. Roasted turkey, basting occasionally with
> butter. Removed turkey to rest on a warmed and foil-tented plate.
> Strained pan juices. Put them back in the roasting pan and added
> about a cup of chicken broth. Seasoned liberally with s&p and some
> granulated garlic. Thickened with Wondra flour. VERY tasty, my only
> complaint was that there wasn't MORE!
>
> TammyM

Thanks, Tammy! I'll bet yours came out very similar to mine. It sounds
delicious. I think the vegetables are essential, both for the aromatic
qualities and the juices they exude. I've never tried a Silver Palate
recipe I didn't like. :-)

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Nov 2006 05:37:42 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>I've always made decent gravy, in fact most people would say excellent, but
>I wanted to try something different this year. The results were superior
>to anything I've made in the past. This is what I did...

<snipped>

Wow Wayne! This sounds fabulous. I thought **my** turkey gravy was
good, but I'll be trying your method next time.

Here's what I did based on a method from the Silver Palate girls:

Put a bed of carrot/celery/onion (chunked) in the roasting pan.
Plopped turkey on top. Added 3 cups of water to the pan and the
turkey neck and giblets. Roasted turkey, basting occasionally with
butter. Removed turkey to rest on a warmed and foil-tented plate.
Strained pan juices. Put them back in the roasting pan and added
about a cup of chicken broth. Seasoned liberally with s&p and some
granulated garlic. Thickened with Wondra flour. VERY tasty, my only
complaint was that there wasn't MORE!

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 24 Nov 2006 11:07:57a, Christine Dabney meant to say...

> On 24 Nov 2006 18:58:35 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>You know, Texas is adjacent to Arizona. :-)

> Ugh...the folks from NM (me!) might disagree with you.
>
> Christine

ROTF! Well, *almost* adjacent. :-) Sorry 'bout that, Chrstine. I was
thinking how quickly we got from TX to AZ when we were driving here form OH.
The only time I've been in that area.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Nov 2006 18:58:35 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>You know, Texas is adjacent to Arizona. :-)

Ugh...the folks from NM (me!) might disagree with you.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> On 24 Nov 2006 05:37:42 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I've always made decent gravy, in fact most people would say excellent, but
> >I wanted to try something different this year. The results were superior
> >to anything I've made in the past. This is what I did...

> <snipped>
>
> Wow Wayne! This sounds fabulous. I thought **my** turkey gravy was
> good, but I'll be trying your method next time.
>
> Here's what I did based on a method from the Silver Palate girls:
>
> Put a bed of carrot/celery/onion (chunked) in the roasting pan.
> Plopped turkey on top. Added 3 cups of water to the pan and the
> turkey neck and giblets. Roasted turkey, basting occasionally with
> butter. Removed turkey to rest on a warmed and foil-tented plate.
> Strained pan juices. Put them back in the roasting pan and added
> about a cup of chicken broth. Seasoned liberally with s&p and some
> granulated garlic. Thickened with Wondra flour. VERY tasty, my only
> complaint was that there wasn't MORE!

This works better if the turkey is up on a "V" rack rather stewing in
it's own juices.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I've always made decent gravy, in fact most people would say excellent, but
> I wanted to try something different this year. The results were superior
> to anything I've made in the past. This is what I did...
>
> Since I only roast a turkey breast, I also bought a package of turkey
> wings. Yesterday I popped them into a roasting pan with a couple each of
> carrots, stalks of celery, a medium onion coarsely chopped (with the skin),
> and a couple of cloves of garlic. Tossed in a tablespoon or so of oil and
> a bit of salt. Roasted this mixture until everything was nicely browned.
>
> Removed roasting pan to the stovetop, added 4 cups chicken broth, a
> teaspoon of whole peppercorns, 5 whole allspice berries, a bay leaf, a
> handful of fresh parsley, and a teaspoon of poultry seasoning. Brought
> this to a boil, then reduced to a simmer for about 45 minutes. Removed
> from the heat, then strained through doubled cheesecloth. Cooled and
> refrigerated overnight.
>
> This morning I removed the solidified fat and allowed the stock to warm to
> room temperature.
>
> Meanwhile, I browned 3/4 cup all-purpose flour in a dry pan in a 375° oven
> until it was golden tan, then set aside.
>
> When the turkey breast was done, I drained off the pan juices and browned
> bits and allowed the fat to rise to the top, then removing it. I mixed the
> two quantities of fat, then measured out about 1/2 cup.
>
> Measured out 2 cups of the pan juices, adding back the measured fat, then
> added 2 cups of the previously prepared stock. Brought this mixture to a
> slow boil.
>
> Meanwhile, put the remaining 2 cups of stock in the blender and added the
> browned flour. Whirled this together on lowest speed until completely
> smooth.
>
> Added the stock/flour mixture in a steady stream to the simmering pot while
> whisking constantly, then returned to a boil while whisking until it
> thickened. Reduced heat to a bare simmer and cooked, covered, for another
> half hour. Then put on the warming burner.
>
> This was the smoothest, most flavorful gravy I've ever tasted. It may
> sound like a lot of work, but it really wasn't, since the effort was spaced
> out.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

That sounds wonderful... :-)

I was roasting a whole turkey but knew that I'd have limited time due to
work. I pressure cooked 1.5 lbs. of turkey necks a couple of days ahead
of time with the usual aromatics and got a very, very rich turkey stock
out of that. About 1 1/2 quarts. To that I added 1 pt. of 1/2 and 1/2
and about 1 qt. of roasted turkey drippings.

Brought it up to a boil while the turkey was "resting" and thickened
with arrowroot and cold water slurry.

Very very rich.
--
Peace, Om