Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default And it begins

Oh pshaw, on Thu 23 Nov 2006 07:06:01p, Stan Horwitz meant to say...

> [...]

> cherry topping. Betty's cheesecake was a big hit, but I thought it
> wasn't up to par and Betty agreed; it was too mushy. Betty makes the
> same cheesecake recipe every year, but this time, it had hardly any
> texture for some reason.
>
> I made a Weight Watchers lemon cream pie Thursday night after I made
> that lousy green bean casserole. The pie recipe follows. This was the
> first time I ever made a pie of any kind, so I made two pies. The first
> pie is sitting in my refrigerator; it was my beta version. I figured I
> made two pies so I could taste one to make sure the other pie was good
> enough to serve. If the pies were lousy, I planned to run to the store
> this morning to buy a pre-made pie for dessert.
>
> I got the pie recipe off Weight Watchers' web site after a friend called
> my attention to it. I didn't follow the recipe to the letter, but its
> very close.
>
> There was a lot of turkey and other stuff left over, but Rob's brother
> Brian is one of those thin people with a hollow leg, so I am sure he
> will finish the left overs while he house sits for Rob and Jan.
>
> Here's how I made my lemon cream pies:
>
> I preheated my oven to 350 degrees. For each pie, I squeezed the juice
> of three lemons into a bowl sans the pits. I ended up with half a cup of
> juice. I poured the contents of one 14 ounce can of fat free sweetened
> condensed milk into the bowl. The recipe calls for two whole eggs, but I
> reduced the calories further by pouring one of those plastic containers
> of Egg Beaters into the bowl. I added a tablespoon of finely chopped
> lemon peel. The recipe calls for lemon zest, but I just used a vegetable
> peeler to remove the lemon skin (sans white stuff) from one of the
> lemons before I squeezed the juice out of it.
>
> I then stirred the mixture thoroughly for several minutes until I ended
> up with a nice yellow batter. I poured the batter into a standard size
> Pillsberry pre-made reduced fat graham cracker pie crust. The pie crust
> came in its own metal tray with a plastic cover. I repeated the process
> for the second pie. I baked both pies together for 15 minutes (as per
> the recipe). After 15 minutes, the pies were still too watery, so I
> baked them another ten minutes. My apartment had a wonderful lemon aroma
> when the pies were baking! Both pies turned out fine except the surface
> of each pie was not nice and smooth like a professionally made pie, it
> was wrinkled for some reason.
>
> I cooled the pies for one hour on top of the oven, then I put the
> plastic lids on them and popped them in the fridge to chill over night.
> I ate a slice of pie #1 for breakfast this morning. It was delicious,
> with a nice firm texture!
>
> My pie was a big hit! The entire pie was quickly finished off. My dad
> asked me for the recipe because he wants to make it himself. I could
> have served whipped cream with this pie, but I think its fine without

Sounds like a merry time!

Since we're still on Weight Watchers, I'm gonna give that pie a try!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It begins... Mark A.Meggs Preserving 53 13-09-2008 01:00 AM
And it begins jmcquown General Cooking 2 25-11-2006 01:57 PM
And it begins -L. General Cooking 0 25-11-2006 11:04 AM
And it begins T General Cooking 0 24-11-2006 12:07 AM
Where That Day Begins Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD General Cooking 30 30-04-2006 02:24 PM