Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Roasting your own coffee beans

There was an article in my local paper about roasting your own coffee
beans. It said you could use an iron skillet, and turn on the heat and
turn keep stiring them for around twenty minutes until they were done.
Does that sound right. It did mention a three hundred dollar roaster if
you decided to get serious. I would do the pan thing just to see if it
worked out, before investing three hundred dollars. It also mentioned
using a airpop popcorn popper. I looked into grinders and they appear
to cost around twenty-five dollars.

Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> There was an article in my local paper about roasting your own coffee
> beans. It said you could use an iron skillet, and turn on the heat and
> turn keep stiring them for around twenty minutes until they were done.

That's possible, but the hard way.

> Does that sound right. It did mention a three hundred dollar roaster
> if you decided to get serious. I would do the pan thing just
> to see if it worked out, before investing three hundred dollars.
> It also mentioned using a airpop popcorn popper. I looked into
> grinders and they appear to cost around twenty-five dollars.

For about $15 you can get a hot air corn popper
that will work for a little while. But it's not
intended for that function and will not last long.
It does a good job, though, while it lasts.
The Toastmaster brand, the model with hot air
entering from the sides of the chamber rather than
the bottom, works very well and is about as cheap
as they get.

I use the FreshRoastPlus8, which cost a little
more than $70, and does a great job. Works on
pumpkin and sunflower seeds, too.

Here's a place to buy green coffee beans and
roasting equipment. I wouldn't recommend them
for buying a grinder, though. Their equipment
recommendations tend to overhype what they sell.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.greencoffee.mvc.shtml
http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.freshroast.shtml
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> It also mentioned using a airpop popcorn popper.

Here's a page on the air popper method:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/airpopmethod.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yes, that sounds right. But you really should ask this question in the
alt.coffee newsgroup.

While it's simple in concept, there's more to roasting your own coffee
than meets the eye, and it sounds like your local paper might have left
out some key details. You'll learn ALL the ins and outs over in
alt.coffee. And, there are plenty of web sites dedicated to coffee.
Just do a Google on "home roasting coffee".

My advice is, if you're going to do it in a skillet (which works just
fine), you should do it outside on a BBQ grill. It is a MESSY process,
very smokey, with lots of papery chaff produced as the green coffee
beans roast.

But aside from roasting your own beans, if you enjoy good coffee you
definitely should get yourself a coffee grinder of some sort. A simple
"whirly-blade" grinder is fine for drip coffee preparation, and cheap.
Even if you never roast your own coffee again after the first try,
you'll still have the grinder, and grinding your own beans is the single
biggest step you can take in improving the quality of the coffee you
make yourself.

Bob
=================================
In article .com>,
says...
> There was an article in my local paper about roasting your own coffee
> beans. It said you could use an iron skillet, and turn on the heat and
> turn keep stiring them for around twenty minutes until they were done.
> Does that sound right. It did mention a three hundred dollar roaster if
> you decided to get serious. I would do the pan thing just to see if it
> worked out, before investing three hundred dollars. It also mentioned
> using a airpop popcorn popper. I looked into grinders and they appear
> to cost around twenty-five dollars.
>
> Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Nov 2006 15:02:42 -0800, "
> wrote:

>There was an article in my local paper about roasting your own coffee
>beans. It said you could use an iron skillet, and turn on the heat and
>turn keep stiring them for around twenty minutes until they were done.
>Does that sound right. It did mention a three hundred dollar roaster if
>you decided to get serious. I would do the pan thing just to see if it
>worked out, before investing three hundred dollars. It also mentioned
>using a airpop popcorn popper. I looked into grinders and they appear
>to cost around twenty-five dollars.
>
>Tom

I've been using the air popcorn popper method for several years. Look
for the old West Bend "Poppery" model at thrift stores. Built like a
tank and you can pick them up for about 5 bucks. I'm on my second one
now after roasting over 60 lb. of green coffee.
Once you've roasted your own you'll likely never go back to
supermarket coffee.
For a great selection of green beans at excellent prices check out
Cate's Green Coffee. www.catesgreencoffee.com
Cate's customer service is second to none.
Now, the standard disclaimer: I have no financial interest in this
company, just a very satisfied customer.

Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:28:24 -0500, wrote:

>On 22 Nov 2006 15:02:42 -0800, "
> wrote:
>
>>There was an article in my local paper about roasting your own coffee
>>beans. It said you could use an iron skillet, and turn on the heat and
>>turn keep stiring them for around twenty minutes until they were done.
>>Does that sound right. It did mention a three hundred dollar roaster if
>>you decided to get serious. I would do the pan thing just to see if it
>>worked out, before investing three hundred dollars. It also mentioned
>>using a airpop popcorn popper. I looked into grinders and they appear
>>to cost around twenty-five dollars.
>>
>>Tom

>I've been using the air popcorn popper method for several years. Look
>for the old West Bend "Poppery" model at thrift stores. Built like a
>tank and you can pick them up for about 5 bucks. I'm on my second one
>now after roasting over 60 lb. of green coffee.
>Once you've roasted your own you'll likely never go back to
>supermarket coffee.
>For a great selection of green beans at excellent prices check out
>Cate's Green Coffee.
www.catesgreencoffee.com
>Cate's customer service is second to none.
>Now, the standard disclaimer: I have no financial interest in this
>company, just a very satisfied customer.
>
>Ross.
>To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

I am glad you mentioned them. I haven't gotten anything from there
yet, but in looking at their web pages from your link, I see they are
one town over from me and allow pick ups for orders. Woo-hoo! That is
always a benefit.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:41:46 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>I am glad you mentioned them. I haven't gotten anything from there
>yet, but in looking at their web pages from your link, I see they are
>one town over from me and allow pick ups for orders. Woo-hoo! That is
>always a benefit.

I see they have a good selection of African beans and a small
selection of Indonesian inclucuding my personal favorite: Sulawesie.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 10:36:51 -0800, sf wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:41:46 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>I am glad you mentioned them. I haven't gotten anything from there
>>yet, but in looking at their web pages from your link, I see they are
>>one town over from me and allow pick ups for orders. Woo-hoo! That is
>>always a benefit.

>I see they have a good selection of African beans and a small
>selection of Indonesian inclucuding my personal favorite: Sulawesie.

I still have a few lbs of green around, but when I pick some up from
Cate's, I'll report back.

Boron