Posted to rec.food.cooking
BD BD is offline

Default sugar measurement?

Hey Is anybody know that 300 gm sugar =........ounce?
I have a measurement cup in ounce and cup ...but my recipee is with
gram so how much ounce are there in 300 gram sugar.thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BD wrote:

> Hey Is anybody know that 300 gm sugar =........ounce?
> I have a measurement cup in ounce and cup ...but my recipee is with
> gram so how much ounce are there in 300 gram sugar.thanks

Google is my friend <G>. I used the keywords "measurement equivalents
cooking" and one the sites listed (2nd one) is . . . .

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...uivalents.html

HTH, Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BD wrote:

> Hey Is anybody know that 300 gm sugar =........ounce?
> I have a measurement cup in ounce and cup ...but my recipee is
> with gram so how much ounce are there in 300 gram sugar.thanks

The box or bag should be marked with total weight
in grams, so you just have to divide by 300 to
know what fraction of the box/bag to use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BD wrote:
> Hey Is anybody know that 300 gm sugar =........ounce?
> I have a measurement cup in ounce and cup ...but my recipee is with
> gram so how much ounce are there in 300 gram sugar.thanks

300grams =10.75ounce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BD" > wrote in news:1164228764.399393.226540
@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

> Hey Is anybody know that 300 gm sugar =........ounce?
> I have a measurement cup in ounce and cup ...but my recipee is with
> gram so how much ounce are there in 300 gram sugar.thanks

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BD" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Hey Is anybody know that 300 gm sugar =........
> ounce? I have a measurement cup in ounce and
> cup ...but my recipee is with gram so how much
> ounce are there in 300 gram sugar.thanks

300 gm = 10.6 oz. HOWEVER, and this is a BIG however, 10.6 oz of sugar by
weight is *NOT* 10.6 oz of sugar by volume, which is what your measuring
cups are measuring. According to Rose Levy Beranbaum (author of The Cake
Bible) One US-cup (8 oz by volume) of granulated sugar weighs 200 gm/7 oz,
so you want 1.5 cups of granulated sugar for your recipe.
-j

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jacqui{JB}" > wrote:

> 300 gm = 10.6 oz. HOWEVER, and this is a BIG however, 10.6 oz of sugar by
> weight is *NOT* 10.6 oz of sugar by volume, which is what your measuring
> cups are measuring. According to Rose Levy Beranbaum (author of The Cake
> Bible) One US-cup (8 oz by volume) of granulated sugar weighs 200 gm/7 oz,
> so you want 1.5 cups of granulated sugar for your recipe.

So you are saying that 1.4 ounces of sugar in a recipe that requires
10.6 ounces of sugar is significant. That's the difference between a cup
and a half and a cup and slightly less than a half. What's a person that
eyeballs that difference to do? My idea is that when a person is using
gross amounts, fine measurement isn't important. But I'm probably wrong.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message

> So you are saying that 1.4 ounces of sugar in a recipe
> that requires 10.6 ounces of sugar is significant. That's
> the difference between a cup and a half and a cup and
> slightly less than a half. What's a person that eyeballs
> that difference to do? My idea is that when a person
> is using gross amounts, fine measurement isn't important.
> But I'm probably wrong.

It's wholly dependant on the recipe. Baking -- cakes, breads, etc. -- can
be rather finicky about proportions. Ditto things like custards. Other
items which are less (or not at all)dependant on chemical reactions -- soups
and stews, for example -- are more forgiving.

Heck, even changing ingredient *brand* can change results. For example,
I've moved from the US to Denmark, and I've discovered that brown sugar here
is much wetter than in the US. That extra moisture *greatly* (and
negatively) impacts the end product when making cookies, cakes and brownies.
-j

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
> So you are saying that 1.4 ounces of sugar in a recipe that requires
> 10.6 ounces of sugar is significant. That's the difference between a cup
> and a half and a cup and slightly less than a half. What's a person that
> eyeballs that difference to do? My idea is that when a person is using
> gross amounts, fine measurement isn't important. But I'm probably wrong.
>
> leo

May or may not make a difference, but there is an error of 13%. Using your
logic of converting dry ounces but measuring in liquid ounces can spell
disaster with some ingredients or recipes.

You may have noticed that more European recipes are given with weight rather
than volume because it is a more consistent measure. They are more likely
to use a scale instead of a measuring cup. If the op had a scale to begin
with, the project would have been done, not a subject of discussion. It
shows the lack of preparedness of many cooks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Its not the conversion , its the water .

If sugar is dry , weigh it ( dont read its volume) ,

but if it has a bit of water ...
like brown sugar , its hard to see , for nothing absorbs
water like sugar .

I put 1" water in a pan and then dumped 2 lbs sugar in
and the 1" rose to 1.3" !!!
A big bag of sugar !!

Maltose is pancake syrup , but they dont want
us to know it costs $.50/lbs !!
Water plus Lt Brown sugar , boil til water is gone
cool to 160F , dilute so it dont turn to rock hard .
Let set , room temp for 24 hours . If it still has
Fructose ( sharp , very sweet ) the recipe did not
work . Works for me .

Cranbery and Vit C create small amounts of benzine ,
a deadly poison to humans ....
You can ref this at Google and 1000's of other sites
UK has some on it , and Warfarin ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BD wrote:
> Hey Is anybody know that 300 gm sugar =........ounce?
> I have a measurement cup in ounce and cup ...but my recipee is with
> gram so how much ounce are there in 300 gram sugar.thanks

FACT:
1 millilitre of water weighs 1 gram. Converted to imperial it weighs,
1/28th(3/85) of an ounce.
1000 ml of water weighs 1 Kilogram. Converted to imperial it weighs
2.2Ib(35.2 ounces).
1 Litre of white sugar poured into a measuring bowl weighs,(according
to my expensive digital measuring equipment) 1 Kilogram.

Therefor 300 grams of sugar equates to 300 divided by 85x3=
10.588ounces.
Which also proves that using a measuring cup to measure white sugar is
accurate

re : measurement Ray Baking 7 06-10-2007 04:45 AM
Free SO2 Measurement Bruce Winemaking 0 29-03-2005 04:52 AM
Sugar Measurement Greg Cook Winemaking 1 11-11-2003 12:16 PM
TA Measurement Bruce Winemaking 10 04-11-2003 06:52 PM
More on TA Measurement D. J. Gooding Winemaking 7 01-11-2003 12:41 AM